WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    Debbie - it's my usual yeast bread:
    I simply replace most of the liquid with the yogurt. I use a big stand mixer, so it's written that way:

1 tbsp active dry yeast (or one packet)
    2 cups plain yogurt (I make lactose free, no sugar added yogurt in the Instant Pot)
    2 tbsp sugar (or honey or molasses, to your taste--this is crucial, as the yeast needs some sugar to activate)
    1 tbsp neutral oil (I use grapeseed, but can be vegetable or other oil)
    3 tsp table salt
    3 to 4 cups of flour
    • Whisk the first five ingredients on low until fully combined.
    • Swap to the dough hook, bring the mixer back on at low speed, and add two cups of flour. Stop and scrape down the sides if necessary.
    • Still on low speed begin adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough comes together and pulls away from the side of the mixer.
    • Knead in the mixer on low for six minutes, or by hand on a lightly floured counter for at least ten minutes, until you have a slightly sticky dough that makes a ball that's smooth to the touch.
    • Put in a covered, oiled bowl in a warm place to rise until doubled.
    • Punch dough down, and shape into eight to ten rolls.
    • Place on a baking sheet two inches apart, cover and rise until doubled.
    • Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Internal temperature should be 200 degrees when fully baked.

On my next try, I may add an egg or two for richness and a little more lightness, but that will require a little more salt and more flour.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Evelyn: I seldom visit facebook these days. I would rather call the people I care about on the phone., facetime with them, or zoom. I will go there to contact two or three special friends that I rarely hear from. :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

This made me think of another "Getting to Know You" question ...

What is your preferred method of communication?

Face to face
    Phone
    Zoom
    Email
    Text
    Social Media
    Letter
    Other

I think the top of my list would be Email. I email my husband and work colleagues even when we're just a few metres away from each other. Fortunately, my husband and I got to know each other through email communication so that feels comfortable and fortunately I work in an environment where others like email.

Then probably ...

Social Media (including forums like this)
    Text
    Face to Face
    Zoom

Phone ... right near the bottom of the list because I don't like making or receiving calls. I find them an imposition, I don't express myself well on the phone and I can't "read" the caller.

Letter ... bottom because slow. And they're too much work.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

February Alphabet Challenge:

1. A - Aerobic Dance video:
    https://youtu.be/yN3GgCUmmXw

2. B - I had to exercise in my bedroom today as it was bucketing with rain.
    3. C - I did some chair yoga today.
    4. D - Dawdled to our local park.
    5. E - Endurance circuit
    6. F - 2 sets of 10 seconds of forward lunges, front raises, fire hydrant side leg raises, fast feet, and forward bends.
    7. G - Generosity - I was generous to DH today and went out with him for a walk, despite it being bitterly cold.
    di4qfvlweo31.jpg

8 H - Walked to the Hawe Road roundabout and out into the countryside, past a local farm with a pedigree Angus herd .
    9. I - Interval training today.
    10. J - We got our appointments for our vaccine jabs on 10 Feb.
    11. K - Walked past Knightsbridge to Kilmaine and home again.
    12. Free day
    13. L - We went for a walk along the Belfast Lockshore today. Met my daughter walking one of her dogs.
    14. M - I started today with a mindfulness meditation It was very relaxing.
    15. N - I did a selection of stretching exercises for my neck during my yoga practice today.
    16. O - 30 minutes of circuits today targeting my oblique muscles. Let's hope I don't feel the burn after that.
    17. P - after my physio today I did several sets of push-ups and a short Pilates workout.
    18. Q - I did a legs workout targeting my quad muscles
    19. R - I worked on regular progression in strength exercises by increasing the repetitions I perform.
    20. S - This morning I subscribed to a series on YouTube of exercises for seniors. I have already done two of them. https://youtu.be/Hfdajt9lWFo https://youtu.be/up6_0bYtxqA
    21. T - Worked the triceps with an arms circuit workout.
    22. U - Got pumped up,with a dance session to the Ultra Europe 2018 https://youtu.be/BWmJw4zLrXY
    23. V - A good workout for the vertebrae https://youtu.be/EDB58_1K0NQ

24. W - HIIT Walk
    25. Free day
    26. X -
    27. Y -
    28. Z -

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    Communication channels for me are always person-dependent. I talk to my best friend on the phone every weekday. It was once or twice a week until the pandemic began, and we've continued daily ever since. I talk to my husband on the phone at noon and when he's on the way home. I seldom text or email either my best friend or my husband.

With my kids, they're most comfortable with text--to the point where, when I get a phone call from them, it makes my heart leap out of my chest for a moment, as either something's wrong or they want something.

This is my only social media forum since I walked away from all of it. In the last year, I shut down Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and everything else but this connection. I've seldom missed any of it.

I don't talk to anyone face-to-face anymore except my husband and occasionally my family, and haven't since the pandemic began. My Zoom participation began with the pandemic and ended in May when I quit my job. Don't miss that, either.

Was writing back and forth with Rebecca (thank you, dear heart!), but that, too, has dwindled, probably because I know I could reach her here if I wanted.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    my preferred method of communication in order

1. Face to face
    2. Phone
    3. Email
    4. Zoom
    5. Text
    6. Letter

Kim in N. California
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Well i am watching Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune.
    My son is on a virtual call with some gaming people ,came down here as my WiFi is better
    The longer I stay awake the better Ill be for sleeping im hoping anyway..
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa ... I'm with you. I won't likely get the vaccine till near the end of the list. I figure August at the earliest. And I am OK with that. :smile:

M in Oz

I'm fine waiting, as well. I will continue my precautions and am thankful I have a job where I can remain physically distant from people.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did a Peak 10 DVD. I think I’ll do a Jari Love DVD tomorrow.

Allie – I’m glad to see that you’re taking Tom’s ideas seriously. I do think he will try to get whatever he can from you. If needed, you can remind him that after 20 years of marriage, it wasn’t you who had the affair. Remind him that it was his actions that caused the divorce. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you need it. Let’s hope that you don’t

After exercise went to the SPCA thrift store, then home and in the pool. We have a video conference with our financial advisor later today. I didn’t stay in the pool too long, don’t want to burn. But it is very nice out. Should be nice the next few days so hopefully I won’t go home with white legs

You know, we got new cushions for the chairs on the porch here and, I wouldn’t tell Vince this, but now I’m getting the itch to update the condo. I know that money will be a factor. But maybe with my working after I get done around the house the things I want to get done (that Vince doesn’t think are important), I can work on updating the condo. Even Jess said that as much as she loved her grandma, the condo really should be updated. And she’s right. But for us being here only one month out of the year, it’s just hard to justify. But if my (small) income will provide some disposable income, maybe we can do it. Also, I honestly don't have a good eye for decorating. Any ideas?

Anne DE – after that fractured bone, the doc told me to avoid lunges so that I didn’t put pressure on that bone. Not sure for how long I should avoid lunges

Lisa – thanks for the recipe. I’ve always been afraid to use yeast since it seems to always call for putting it in water/milk. But this recipe doesn’t call for that. I’m always afraid that I’ll have the water too warm. I think I’ll give this a try after I get home.

I prefer to be contacted via email and then face to face

Allie – when I was down at the pool today I was listening to Sirius XM. They said that the guy who is hosting Jeopardy (it’s no longer Ken Jennings) now is doing really good. As a matter of fact, a lot of people are writing in that he should be the permanent host. I DVR them and I can’t wait to see him.

Michele in FL
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    face to face
    phone
    social media
    I absolutely despise email except for work and even then it is not ideal, too easy to misunderstand the meaning of things on email

It has been very nice here the past few days. Yesterday, Bumble was able to get out for a good walk, no dog park due to the excessive mud, he just got groomed and I hate to give up that fresh puppy look so soon. He also had school last night for the first time in three weeks after snow cancellations. He was so happy to be back and we learned a new skill to work on called "around" I like it and he seems to be catching on to it better than he did to "come to heel" and they do the same thing so glad to learn this new command.

I have been totally into crafting these past few weeks. After finishing my wreath, I painted an old canister and some mugs white and pink. I plan to use them for Easter decor. I also used an old planter of my mother-in-law's to create a cute little display of spring flowers. Found some old glitter eggs and painted those and used them as picks in a planter. Painted a candy jar to match the pink/white theme I have going on. I added some greenery to my china cabinet and strung a cute carrot garland I found at dollar store. Adorable for $2. Now I am working on decoupaging some wooden cut out eggs with a lovely floral tissue paper. I plan to use it to create a garland above our living room windows. The house is looking very "springy".

In addition to crafting, I have been getting an early start on Spring cleaning. I have reorganized my whole kitchen and found quite a bit of extra room once everything had been put into better groupings. I have been cleaning drawers and cabinets this week. lots of up and down on the step ladder and crawling around (I say it qualifies as yoga) to get into the bottom cabinets. With all the scrubbing my shoulders are in agony, but I feel such satisfaction when everything is neat and organized once again. I plan to really get the cabinets well done this week and then next week do the dreaded fridge and oven cleaning, ugh. Breaking up the cleaning with the crafting has kept me motivated.

DH has a bad sinus infection and has a virtual dr appt in the morning. Hoping he gets an antibiotic. Daughter is coming home for a visit this weekend. I am looking forward to some family board game and movie time. Unfortunately, son in law has to work so we will miss seeing him.

Pip: You new home is really looking wonderful and you are moving along so quickly! Very impressive!

I agree with the comment of not lending money unless you plan not to ever need it. I have seen too many families fall apart over "loans" that are misconstrued as "gifts". When my husband and I help out others, it is with the understanding between us that we don't plan on seeing that money again. If we do, hurray! If we don't, nobody is left with hurt feelings.

Thawing out and muddy in Ohio
    dee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,683 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Other- 3hrs 45min 21sec, work on home= 1031c
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    You know, we got new cushions for the chairs on the porch here and, I wouldn’t tell Vince this, but now I’m getting the itch to update the condo. I know that money will be a factor. But maybe with my working after I get done around the house the things I want to get done (that Vince doesn’t think are important), I can work on updating the condo. Even Jess said that as much as she loved her grandma, the condo really should be updated. And she’s right. But for us being here only one month out of the year, it’s just hard to justify. But if my (small) income will provide some disposable income, maybe we can do it. Also, I honestly don't have a good eye for decorating. Any ideas?

Michele in FL

Start browsing "homes" websites!

Up till the news disappeared from Facebook (which included all my Homes and Architectural "magazines too), I was getting things like ... the top 10 trends for spring ... 5 easy updates for your kitchen ... and stuff like that in Facebook.

But unfortunately, all that went in the Facebook vs News disagreement so I get none of that anymore.

Fortunately, I can still access the websites outside Facebook, and I've got a heap of them at my fingertips!

This is one: https://www.homebeautiful.com.au/
    And this, for example, is their "decorate" page with many articles: https://www.homebeautiful.com.au/decorate

Maybe you want to go with a "Beach House" style (that's one of my favourites): https://www.homebeautiful.com.au/beach-house

This is another one: https://www.homestolove.com.au/australian-house-and-garden

Here's one article, for example ... if you wanted to start with your entryway ...

22 charming country home entryway ideas
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/country-home-entryway-ideas-21554

And another: https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/

One of many articles to consider ... maybe you want to paint and decorate in cobalt blue and sunshine yellow! :)

3 cheery interior colour schemes to boost your mood
    https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/decorate/a35584926/mood-boosting-interior-colour-schemes/

Go through some of these and more, read some of the articles, look at the pictures and see what appeals to you.

You could copy and paste some of the pictures into PowerPoint to create a collage and see if there is a theme -- if you like a particular style.

Some of the articles will give you more specific tips like actual colours of paint and where to get particular pieces of furniture, etc.

I'm in the clean-up phase in my house, but once that is done (2022), I may move into a decorating phase. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well here I am at almost 1am and flipping and flopping and cant get comfortable to sleep,im going to have to invest in leg pillow, my DD has one and it keeps.your legs from touching one another,a quirk i guess I got after the surgery,i used to sleep in fetal position on either side and can sure fall asleep during the day,but nightime is a whole other story.. Oh well my own darn fault...here is hoping i can get a few hrs in before daylight

Do you need to sleep at certain times or can you just sleep whenever you are tired?

Also if you are getting less than 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours, are you able to take something to help you sleep?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    I had a rotten night last night too. It's put me in a bad mood this morning. :#
    No reason I can see for not sleeping. :# Brain just active. Grrrrrr!
    Decided not to have pizza today. Will have sausages and sauce vierge with asparagus.

Singing Zoom today plus Waitrose delivery. Must post a birthday card to my friend.

Like Lisa , I communicate in different ways with different people. Phone to a few old friends, (the old fashioned phone, ) Zoom with other friends , but I prefer face to face, (not allowed right now), with my elder son it's Facebook (ugh), WhatsApp with quite a few, especially if it's photos, email with a couple of others who are further away.
    I am still desperate to see the grandchildren face to face. I think that's what kept me awake. We still have strict stay at home restrictions and are not officially allowed to meet up other than one to one outside for exercise reasons only. I miss them like a physical pain.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options

What is your preferred method of communication?

face to face, for good relations, followed by phone

for work, and agreeing about things, tasks, email is good, since memories are flawed. One can have a discussion about something and agree about something and have no memory of it a few months later. It can be a major issue.
    zoom: great for meetings, when it's hard to all be in same place at same time.
    text is handy for last minute info, meeting, etc.
    letter, i used to love letters in the old days, but now i only use them for legal stuff,bills.
    post cards are still nice, though ever more rare
    social media facebook, linkedin i more like looking at than writing in. It's good for finding out about some local things, events, discussions. Likewise, it's good for posting if i am involved in organizing or promoting a local event (back when there were events). I'm wary of posting much else on facebook, since i have many work "friends" (colleagues) or old friends i'm little in touch with, on facebook, and you never know who is reading, and how most are reacting to your post.
    i have an instagram and twitter account but i have almost never used them. i have about a dozen pics on instagram after 4 years :D and maybe 2 posts and 10 followers on twitter in 4 years :D
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Well here I am at almost 1am and flipping and flopping and cant get comfortable to sleep,im going to have to invest in leg pillow, my DD has one and it keeps.your legs from touching one another,a quirk i guess I got after the surgery,i used to sleep in fetal position on either side and can sure fall asleep during the day,but nightime is a whole other story.. Oh well my own darn fault...here is hoping i can get a few hrs in before daylight

Ever since my youngest was born, I have slept with a "hip" pillow. Having kids has really messed up my body, in more ways than one, but one is that my hips have never been right. Then I had a running injury and developed hip bursitis. I have to sleep on my left side, with a pillow between my knees in order to keep my hips aligned. All that to say, there is nothing wrong with trying out different pillows for support. It might help.

The pillow I use is about half this size, so bigger than a head pillow, but not has large as a full-sized body pillow, but you get the idea.
    pyccyfbjgoqb.png

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    i feel carpy today. i had cold or allergy symptoms yesterday at midday, so, with a lot of coughing, it seemed unreasonable to stay in office place. i went for a fast covid test (many available on street corners now). finally it was a waste as the one i did has low sensitivity (only 80% sure) as well as only pics up 4 days after symptoms! its a version for the masses. I rested in the afternoon.fell asleep early.now i have head cold. it seeemed to start suddenly slightly after i had dental work, and get worse after.
  • Machka9
    Options
    2figj5ot3c28.png
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Happy Thursday! The days seem to be flying by. For that, I am thankful; for I have my ticket bought to visit my daughter/grandsons in TX!! (doing the happy dance!) Two weeks from now, I will be waking up in their home and spending time with my boys! Joaquin will be turning four on the 14th!
    Forms of communication- This also depends on the person, for me. For family, close friends and people I enjoy being with...face to face over food or drinks is bliss. For some members of family and acquaintances, childcare parents, text and email are fine. My kids communicate with me almost daily via text. My daughter and grandsons viber (like Skype) with me almost daily. Some zoom meetings I have attended have been so lacking in new information I have wondered why they didn't just send out an email. (so frustrating!) Some people I could care less if I ever heard a peep out of them again. >:)
    Lisa, Machka, Flea- I am also waiting to get the vaccine. I am not anti-vax, I don't think there is anything nefarious/conspiracy/tracking method about the vaccine, I don't get the flu shot,either; I just want less "theory" in regards to the "science" of it. My body, I want to know (and control) what is going into it and I want to know how it will effect my immune system/body functions down the road. As of right now, not enough is known about the virus, the many strains, the results of having it, or the vaccine. I don't mind waiting. I work with children (who are not getting vaccinated either, right now). I will continue to wear my mask, practice social distancing, and practice proper hygiene/sanitation procedures. That said, I might continue the mask wearing and keeping parents out of my home, going forward. This has been the healthiest year in my childcare/home in my entire 28 year career. I firmly believe the masks, extra cleaning/washing and keeping other germs out has been why the kids and my own family have made it through the cold and flu season without getting either.

And here we are again. Kids have arrived. Sending love and hugs! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)