WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,122 Member
    edited February 2021
    The heating man is coming tomorrow. However, the heating came back on when the timer brought it on and the hot water came on. It seems to be the override that is temperamental. Glad to have some warmth, though we do have an electric convection heater in the garage that I could resurrect and heat the living room.
    A puzzle. Normally I just press the override and all is well. I even changed the batteries in the room thermostat. I will see what the guy says tomorrow.
    I hate it when things go wrong. It's nearly always me who has to do something about it, unless it's the car. Panic stations immediately! :o

I spent a very long time looking for my DH. We are very happy to have found each other. If anything happened to him I have no idea what I would do. My thought is to move nearer to the grandchildren, but I would hate to outstay my welcome. A perpetual cruise? :o I am not averse to the occasional lover and dinner companion.
    I know that I would love and care for DH if he were ill and suffering, but compos mentis, but I also know I could not and would not care for him in the more advanced stages of Alzheimers. I know myself well enough to know it is beyond my capacities. I also value my own well being. Once the 'him' that I know is gone I would want a nursing home to bear the everyday brunt of it. A good home. Of course I would regularly visit him.
    If I myself were heading in that direction I intend to find an assisted dying solution. That is my choice. I intend to exercise it. DH does not agree with me.
    I hope these decisions are some time in the future. I intend to enjoy my life to the utmost of my ability. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited February 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Blood work, ABI and balance tests. (Ansar and cognitive tests not working.)
    Bonus: Strolled myself around the port
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, call C, call R, Freddie’s for rx & bubble water, start taxes, fire district: minutes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    17: Respond kindly to everyone you talk to today, including yourself: especially! Nope. Can’t get on the same vibe as the lab’s front desk gal. We just grate on each other.
    18: Appreciate the good qualities of someone in your life: Funny, this morning I told Joe “You’re not pushy, you’re gentle" in the context of following up with the spa repair guy. Wish I’d been gentle yesterday with the lab’s front desk. Lord, please release me from my need to be right!

Thankful for last night's gastro distress to remind me how too much pizza and ice cream make me feel. Down 3.5 lbs this morning, go figure. Not updating ticker as I know it's a fluke. Will incorporate ONE leftover slice of pizza today with lots of salad, then freeze the rest. Forward, harch!

Julie VERY well done on the writing! I can’t imagine writing a thesis, much less in another language. Bravissima!
    Lisa :laugh: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, stayin’ aliiiiiiiive =ra96tcik7g6a.jpg
    That you and Corey were able to retire over $100K in debt in just 3 years is a tribute to your energy/character/grit/partnership. Con VERY VERY VERY gratulations. “Show of hands” made me snort my tea.
    Tina a saucer of apple cider vinegar might clear out those annoying little flitters.
    Michele “good peaches” in February???
    Machka MRI and neurosurgeon next week Yes that was quick, but it’s been a long time getting someone to listen to you ;)
    Likewise brava to Teresa for the $25k in 16 months, and Kay for the consumer debt free in two years and completely debt free last year. You get gold $tar$ too!
    Barbie what you said about having to put on so much outerwear to walk the dogs for just 15 minutes.
    Annie, well done!
    Cheri and Rebecca “to the penny” that’s me, every day or at most two. Glad to see Cheri is weathering the TX weather safely. Hoping same for Cathy, Okie, Suebdew and Amber.
    Kay what you said, especially about caregiving and history. Wishing you well on your Lenten journey of renewal.

Just skimming as need to get UP off my butt, vacuum and dance some steps.

It’s always something. Joe’s eyedrops cost over $400 today. He called me to check and I missed the call because my phone was in the office where cell coverage is iffy. When we got through to eachother I let him know it was ok to pay with the Discover card. Then my phone blacked out again. In the office it said 1% battery. When I plugged it in in the kitchen it jumped up to 42%. I’m done. Time to switch from Consumer Cellular to Spectrum (who uses Verizon towers, better coverage here) and get new phones for both of us. Joe is even willing to try a smart phone. So while I’ve been reluctant for the increased expense, I’m surprised and grateful for his flexibility.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 17, weigh/wii: 17/13/36; steps>5627=6742, vits=16, log=17, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=11 Shadow=12 mfp=16 outside=8 up hill=8
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.75 packwalk=3, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 141.5 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=10 play=13 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Barbara - We’re good. Thanks for checking. We have had power and water most of the time since last Thursday (knock wood). We should be OK if we make it through two more nights.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Allie--Sending prayers and hugs. Get all the rest you can, you have be though a lot.

Machka--I hope you can get some relief with your back. I know that right now I am having pretty good luck with the traction and we will do that several times a week until it is better, then usually if I go once a month I am good. The thought of surgery scares me and I know several people I work with that surgery made things worse. I just taking one day at time and long as chirocpractor works I am going with that.

Lisa--I pray you and Corey are feeling better. Get lot of rest is the best advice I got when I had it.

Rori--You sure do have a lot going on and I admire you and the way you keep going.

Beth--I am shocked that DS is once again in ER because of the home. The sounds of that food it should not of been served to anyone. Is there someone in charge of the home you can talk to? Sending prayers and hugs.
    Our paychecks go into a joint account.. I have a book I keep with a page for each month on what bills are due on which date and amount. I give DH list of ones to pay on line and the amount. We both can look in the book at anytime and see where we are. I do keep the checkbook. So we work together and it works for us. Only thing is I keep asking DH for the passwords to the on line accounts in case I would have to pay them. I have given him a list and he is working on it. :'(

Dee--your wreath is beautiful.

We are finally above zero in temps and going to get to 30's this weekend. I am so happy, DH got the cold water in the kitchen working so I am happy with that.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    k54dh93y51t7.jpeg
    Down below on the trail when we first got here
  • pipcd34
    o9bz1bti0km5.jpeg
    The way it is now
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member

Thanks to all of you ladies who have shared and share <3 your lives with us! You are a blessing!

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Beth near Buffalo: Sending prayers for your son’s medical situation. :heart:

Margaret: You are right about unseen ice. It is so dangerous. :star:

Cheri: I’ve been watching Texas weather on the weather channel. One of my long-time friends is in Texas now and living with one of her sons. Last that I heard, they’re doing okay. I hope your situation has improved and you’re warm and safe. :flowerforyou:

(((Heather:))) I hope your heat situation is resolved soon. :heart:

Tracey: I have been offered a home with each of my adult kids in the event that DH passes before I do. If the situation is reversed, they would have him move in with one of them. I am grateful for their offers and hope it will be many years before any of us has to face that situation. :ohwell:

(((Allie:))) I hope you’re able to get Alfie back in the near future. :heart:

Sue in WA: I am happy to hear that your cardiac cath yesterday went well. :heart:

I did some grocery shopping yesterday and am not eager to go out again today. It is raining and a bit slushy.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Lots of phone calls to and from drs today...and God Bless the PT she took off my holter monitor with the help of my surgeons nurse over the phone... they put it right over the surgical scar.. but all is well...
    I took a 20 minute nap this morning and am watching TV now,Highway to Heaven,so glad they still have it on TV somewhere .feel good TV
    Married twice,from the frying to the fire married 13 yrs the first time ,had ups and downs and dealing with mental illness.
    Tom was a good husband and we enjoyed each others company,traveled ..but he must have been bored or because the roving eye charmed him...whatever the case its done and overwith ,but we have remained friends with both Elena and Tom..
    But no more men,until I get Alfie back..im dealing with so much as it is lol

It was mental issues that he was NOT dealing with and hid from me that caused the end of my first marriage. He thought it was best to just leave before they got worse and he really hurt me worse(mentally and physically)- I found this all out 20 yrs after the fact, after he had left and eventually got help. We are now best friends and really wish I had known what he was going through. BUT, if we had stayed together, I would not have my son and he is my world.

Debbie
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Re: Men

I love my husband. But I have realized that I have never met a man who was not a narcissist. Maybe that says more about me than it does about the men I know, but all they really ever worry about is themselves. If their decisions/actions happen to benefit the rest of us, that's a bonus. I have been trying to tell myself for years that I am participating in confirmation bias, but really, after example after example, at what point do you say maybe the evidence really does point one way?

I guess that's harsh, but it is really how I feel.

So why would I ever want to have another relationship with a man? I am definitely done. Not leaving my husband, because love, but if he should pass before me, I will not look to attach myself to anyone else. I hope to have lots of friends and people to hang out with, but I want to be able to come back to my own home and be by myself. Like M said, read a book or cuddle with my cat/dog.

BTW, our power/internet was restored yesterday. Almost five days without. I am really feeling for the people in Texas. The stories coming out of there are horrifying.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Other- walk to home put away stuff, 10.14min, .54mi= 195c
    Strava app = 66c
    Walk w/family- 2hrs 21min, 5sec, 3.81ap, 181elev, 104ahr, 124mhr, 8.11mi= 766c
    Strava app = 982c
    Other- walk to home, put more stuff away, walk to vet, store n home, 35.27min, 1.78mi= 158c
    Strava app = 216c

Total cal 1119
  • pipcd34
    Started tearing up the carpet this morning!!!

mwsiln82q1bc.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Started tearing up the carpet this morning!!!

mwsiln82q1bc.jpeg

Hooray!! It is going to be great. Ripping up carpeting is one of my favorite home improvement projects because I hate carpeting.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Re: Men

I love my husband. But I have realized that I have never met a man who was not a narcissist. Maybe that says more about me than it does about the men I know, but all they really ever worry about is themselves. If their decisions/actions happen to benefit the rest of us, that's a bonus. I have been trying to tell myself for years that I am participating in confirmation bias, but really, after example after example, at what point do you say maybe the evidence really does point one way?

I guess that's harsh, but it is really how I feel.

So why would I ever want to have another relationship with a man? I am definitely done. Not leaving my husband, because love, but if he should pass before me, I will not look to attach myself to anyone else. I hope to have lots of friends and people to hang out with, but I want to be able to come back to my own home and be by myself. Like M said, read a book or cuddle with my cat/dog.

BTW, our power/internet was restored yesterday. Almost five days without. I am really feeling for the people in Texas. The stories coming out of there are horrifying.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I was more or less on my own for 10 years between husbands and one of the things I liked about that was that I could set my own schedule.

With a husband, on a weekend, you've got to plan. At noon we'll go and do this and at 5 pm we'll do that. On my own, the moment I was ready to go do something, I'd do it.

Or during the week ... on my own, probably about one day a week, I would come home after work and nap for an hour, then carry on with my evening. I'd like to do that now but it worries my husband. He thinks there is something dreadfully wrong if I lie down on the sofa and starts asking me if I'm OK and fussing and eventually I just get up.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,122 Member
    The central heating came on for a short while when the water heat came on the timer. It won't operate independently. :# We dressed up in our quilted coats and lap rugs and watched Death in Paradise. I texted the repair guy in case it was an easy fix and he said something about having to test the voltage on certain controls. So it may come on in the morning for a while when the water is heating.
    So tomorrow I will wait for the guy's friend to get in touch and come over. Luckily, our really below freezing weather has passed.

I've got layers on in bed! :D

Lots of love to you all. Xxxxxxxx Some of you have mentioned that it's difficult to have regrets because you wouldn't have had your children, or wouldn't have learnt something important about yourself. I feel like that too. I should never have married at 20, straight out of university, but how can I wish away my beautiful grandchildren. <3 I'm writing now in my memoir about choosing which university to go to at 17. Those kind of choices are life changing. I met my first husband to be on the very first day at the reception tea. That was it. We lasted 27 years together and took us another 4 to finally get divorced. We both could have done better in the marriage, but we had many happy times, and we have both made extremely good ones afterwards. He has two more children. Strange to think he is the grandkids' real grandad. DH is so much the grandad. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx