Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exercise/program defines BORING for you?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The ultimate boring exercise is swimming laps, something I did for hrs a day in my youth.
    It wins the grand prize because of the extreme sensory deprivation, no sound or TV to distract.

To me, boring is walking on a treadmill. So boring a screen is almost a requirement. Running on a treadmill is only slightly less boring, but only because it's finished sooner. Some stretching is pretty boring, but yoga is kind of the opposite because part of the goal is mental focus on very small things. Ergometer is pretty boring, too, but it's full body and doesn't take too long.

Just wondering how is it boring when you can be on your phone, listen to music, podcasts, watch movies/tv/news, browse MFP, get research or other reading done, etc?

If it's SO BORING that I have to do something else so I don't bash my head into the wall out of boredom.... it's boring. Yes, I can maybe find a distraction. The treadmills at my gym let me watch really interesting videos of people doing sick and silly things on snow, mountain bikes, or whatever. If I'm going to read, I'll be too involved in my reading to bother with keeping up my pace. I am very fortunate to have found my little zen while swimming.

Oh. Yeah. I sweat. The library doesn't like it when I sweat all over the books we all own collectively.

I don't "play" on my phone. I can plug in earphones and listen to music, but if I listen to a podscast or NPR news, it distracts from what I'm doing. So, yeah.... boring.

I used to find moving heavy things around kind of boring. But now (well, not lately; haven't been in a while; I hear there's something going around), I can get REALLY focused on making sure I have good form and pay attention to the big and small muscles. I also have another part of my weight workout that keep it from being boring, but it's not my favorite thing to do. I like hiking. So much to see all around. I like paddling or rowing boats on whitewater. You really BETTER be focused. So focused that the entire universe only exists within 200 meters. Not boring. Ergometer? Kind of boring. Bike to nowhere? Can be. Dreadmill? Yes.

I guess I do find it boring because I always have the need to do other stuff while doing it. But because I am doing the other stuff, to me it seems fun lol.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    tread mills...sometimes I look to see how long the people around me (Pre C) have been on...some are like over an hour or more. I can't do it...
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    tread mills...sometimes I look to see how long the people around me (Pre C) have been on...some are like over an hour or more. I can't do it...

Same! I feel such pressure walking next to those people. When I’m 10 minutes in, I’m ready to hop off but keep walking another 5 because I don’t want to look bad.

By 15 minutes, I don’t care anymore lol. Get me off this thing! Reputation, in front of strangers I don’t know, be damned!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Indoor treadmill — boring. I’m not a runner. I’ll never understand why anyone who wants to run would want to do it on a treadmill.
    Weightlifting by myself — I use BeachBody on demand programs and enjoy the programs I’ve done, including weight lifting. I’ve tried Mike Matthews, thinner, leaner, stronger weight lifting program where you follow a 3, 4 or 5 day a week weight lifting schedule and found that soooo boring. In the end, the exercises in the BeachBody programs are the same as his, but doing it with someone else queuing and providing some ‘company’ makes it more fun.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Most anything where my feet are planted almost bores me to death. I love running, jump roping and swimming. Few other things I find worthwhile and I'm bored by. Lifting weights is the most boring exercise I've ever done.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I tried a gym membership for a few months but found the gym sooooo boring! And for many other reasons the gym was not for me, also because I can’t stand dreadmills :s Once I got up the courage to actually start running outside I found it much more enjoyable to be outdoors and have never looked back! I did have a job for 2 years where I had to take a patient to physical therapy at a huge gym and while I waited for them I was allowed free use of the gym. The only area I ever used was the indoor running track. I liked that ok but it sure doesn’t compare to running out on the trails in the hills with fresh air and nature all around! :D
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    PLANKS!!!!!!! My trainer prescribed max planks during my last training block. They were horrific. My brain forced me to quit even though my body could have gone longer. I managed 2 minutes during a face to face session by some miracle. By myself, I just can't abide anything over a minute.

Otherwise anything high volume and repetitive I find boring. Cardio machines - ugh. Decent music can get me through (or did, when I fondly imagined that keeping fit required only a 20 minute walk on a treadmill...)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lifting weights. Worth doing, but about as much fun as watching paint dry.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Treadmill. I endure it when the temperature's too low, but I'd much rather be outside on the trails.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Everything that is so boring that it's only bearable with a tv/music/podcast/etc. Thus if I want to do cardio I go outside, enjoy being outside, look around myself. Oh, and any workout programme that has music in the background.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Running outdoors. At least indoors on a treadmill I can watch TV or YouTube.

🤯
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Same
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member

I love the idea of this but I struggle hard to pay attention when I am on the treadmill. Sometimes while I am walking outside, I listen to true crime podcast and look suspiciously at my neighbors.
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Running indoors - Even with speed work, I'd much rather take it to the local high school track vs. the treadmill.
    Elliptical - I never feel like I get a good workout on it no matter how hard I push.
    Swimming laps - I'd rather jab my eyes out.
    Zumba - Used to like it, but not anymore. Not a good enough burn for me and I am uncoordinated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Triceps extensions or dumbbell kickbacks are useless
    Only if you're doing them wrong.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    exercises with weights. tried it years ago, found it way too boring.
    running on the treadmill. A necessary evil when the weather sucks, and even with music on, it is a constant mental struggle. My brain keeps telling me that i can't do it and i should stop. I tried watching Tv while doing it. Turns out i lose my balance and can't run on the treadmill while looking straight ahead.
    On the other hand, running outside is fun.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    I enjoy most exercises but I hate warm ups. I literally get headaches while warming up but once I am in the swing of things I love it and yoga is boring most of the time,for me, but it depends on the instructor.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Anything that involves counting repetitions. I’m bored by rep 3! I’d rather just do whatever it is until I’m finding it too much. It’s the counting, not the movement per se!

Far rather mindlessly do it while thinking about something else than keep count.