Gaining weight and eating 1600 calories

Options

Replies

• lilsolditto
    lilsolditto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a look at about a weeks worth of your food diary.

a few suggestions I would make:

- measure everything by weight, instead of "a cup of rice" etc

- you're always about 20g under on your protein most days

- you seem to go over on fat most days

- you seem to go over on sodium quite a bit most days - which can lead to water weight

- as another person said, your TDEE already includes your exercise, so if you log it and eat the calories back - its being accounted for twice

Thank u!
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a look at about a weeks worth of your food diary.

a few suggestions I would make:

- measure everything by weight, instead of "a cup of rice" etc

- you're always about 20g under on your protein most days

- you seem to go over on fat most days

- you seem to go over on sodium quite a bit most days - which can lead to water weight

- as another person said, your TDEE already includes your exercise, so if you log it and eat the calories back - its being accounted for twice

Thank u!

that's OK, I'm far from an expert but those are just general observations that I have picked up from reading these forums :)
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    that's OK, I'm far from an expert but those are just general observations that I have picked up from reading these forums :)

:)
  • whodarescheerall
    whodarescheerall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1600 don't eat the exercise cals, and those sound high for that short of a workout. I can burn that many in an hour, not 30 min.

I agree with "@wilsoje74" 1) dont eat your exercise extra calories, it is just to maintain your current weight. 2) Eat within 100 calories +/- of your BMR 3) have 2 spike days which are opposite from each other, so that it keeps your body off balance and get used to your intake, therefor continue to burn fat. For instance for me my spike days are Wednesday (+200 with medium exercise) and Saturday/cheat recovery day (+400 with more carbs and little to no exercise). But I burn around 1k calories avg exercise 6 days a week.
    You'll more results in you do hard cardio first thing morning, and eat your sugars (fruits) and fats(almond/peanut butter) in the morning or first half the day (my cutoff is 3pm. This allows your body to burn it throughout the day and not store it. Take take hydrolyzed/isolate protein for your post workout and blended protein for your in between meals (my recommendation Dymatize ISO-100 and Elite XT) I take it as well is as my roommate who is aspiring actress/salsa dancer.

my 2 cents, hope that helps
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and one thing that I noticed is your sodium intake being quite large.
    Are you drinking lots of water?

Many say carbs are the enemy and to cut it out but I completely disagree, the real culprit is sodium in this case. Processed foods like Kraft singles maybe low in calories but check out that sodium per slice.

Try just for a couple days to lower it (keep it in the green) and drink your water...

Also, have you tried strength training and not just aerobics? Mixing it up helps later but first get that sodium in check and drink lots of water!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree that it hasn't been long enough to tell, the gain is probably water from the new workout and also that 400ish for 25 minute workouts is too high (watch or no watch). At your size, you probably can't burn more than 10 calories/minutes.

Asking someone if they're a good food logger is like asking them if they're a good driver. We all think we are. What we do wrong we're not aware of. The fact you said, "...even a tablespoon of pb" sets off alarms. A tablespoon of pb is a lot of calories to call 'even'. Not to doubt you, but your 1500ish might be 1800ish (20% underestimating is actually pretty good) and that's probably maintenance calories for you. If you can eke out a 300 calorie deficit per day you can lose only 3 pounds a month or so. So even with perfect logging, it's going to take a lot of patience.

Good luck!
  • lilsolditto
    Options

I agree with "@wilsoje74" 1) dont eat your exercise extra calories, it is just to maintain your current weight. 2) Eat within 100 calories +/- of your BMR 3) have 2 spike days which are opposite from each other, so that it keeps your body off balance and get used to your intake, therefor continue to burn fat. For instance for me my spike days are Wednesday (+200 with medium exercise) and Saturday/cheat recovery day (+400 with more carbs and little to no exercise). But I burn around 1k calories avg exercise 6 days a week.
    You'll more results in you do hard cardio first thing morning, and eat your sugars (fruits) and fats(almond/peanut butter) in the morning or first half the day (my cutoff is 3pm. This allows your body to burn it throughout the day and not store it. Take take hydrolyzed/isolate protein for your post workout and blended protein for your in between meals (my recommendation Dymatize ISO-100 and Elite XT) I take it as well is as my roommate who is aspiring actress/salsa dancer.

my 2 cents, hope that helps

Thank you so much! Very informative. My BMR is 1262 so I should eat 100 calories more for example and don't eat back my exercise calories. The reason why I upped my calories was because if I eat 1200 then after exercise I would be under.

I like the idea of switching it up with the calories..

Thanks again
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    I agree that it hasn't been long enough to tell, the gain is probably water from the new workout and also that 400ish for 25 minute workouts is too high (watch or no watch). At your size, you probably can't burn more than 10 calories/minutes.

Asking someone if they're a good food logger is like asking them if they're a good driver. We all think we are. What we do wrong we're not aware of. The fact you said, "...even a tablespoon of pb" sets off alarms. A tablespoon of pb is a lot of calories to call 'even'. Not to doubt you, but your 1500ish might be 1800ish (20% underestimating is actually pretty good) and that's probably maintenance calories for you. If you can eke out a 300 calorie deficit per day you can lose only 3 pounds a month or so. So even with perfect logging, it's going to take a lot of patience.

Good luck!

Thank you!
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1600 don't eat the exercise cals, and those sound high for that short of a workout. I can burn that many in an hour, not 30 min.

This!!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Also, if you're using the TDEE method of setting goals, then you should not be also logging or eating back your workout calories. TDEE already accounts for workout calories.

So I should be eating my TDEE? 1846 calories since it calculates exercise?

No, your calorie goal should be your TDEE minus a certain number (ie. 500 calories/day to lose 1 pound/week) or percentage (10-20%). So, for example, my TDEE is around 1970, so my goal would be around 1470 if I were using the TDEE method.
  • lilsolditto
    Options

Also, if you're using the TDEE method of setting goals, then you should not be also logging or eating back your workout calories. TDEE already accounts for workout calories.

So I should be eating my TDEE? 1846 calories since it calculates exercise?

No, your calorie goal should be your TDEE minus a certain number (ie. 500 calories/day to lose 1 pound/week) or percentage (10-20%). So, for example, my TDEE is around 1970, so my goal would be around 1470 if I were using the TDEE method.

Thank u
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Thanks
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My food logging is accurate, I log everything even a tablespoon of peanut butter! :)
    I am doing FOCUS T25 workout and my watch tracks calories burned. I know the tracker may not be a 100 % accurate but I use it only to track my workouts and that is it.

If you are using a spoon for peanut butter...even a tablespoon your logging is not accurate.

You need to weigh solids and measure liquids and choose correct entries.

Personally I disagree with this... I have been on MFP off and on for a few years... have ALWAYS used spoon/cup measurements and never have owned a scale. Never had trouble with accurate logging or weight loss. Just another perspective.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sucks, doesn't it?

The numbers MFP gives you are just numbers. Your body has its own metabolism, and you might have a lower BMR than MFP thinks you do. You might (probably don't) burn as many calories exercising as is estimated. You might be undercounting your calories consumed.

One of the difficulties for women is that our calorie counts tend to be low enough that it doesn't take much error to keep us from losing at all.

Something else that I think happens is that some of us have very efficient adaptative thermogenesis. Our bodies adapt to lower calorie intake by reducing our NEAT and hence our TDEE.

Things to try:

* Weigh your food.
    * Mix up your calorie intake with high and low spike days.
    * Mix up your workouts.
    * Don't eat back your exercise calories.

Good luck and keep on keeping on. You'll get where you want to be if you keep working at it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    My food logging is accurate, I log everything even a tablespoon of peanut butter! :)
    I am doing FOCUS T25 workout and my watch tracks calories burned. I know the tracker may not be a 100 % accurate but I use it only to track my workouts and that is it.

If you are using a spoon for peanut butter...even a tablespoon your logging is not accurate.

You need to weigh solids and measure liquids and choose correct entries.
    Personally I disagree with this... I have been on MFP off and on for a few years... have ALWAYS used spoon/cup measurements and never have owned a scale. Never had trouble with accurate logging or weight loss. Just another perspective.

There's a YouTube video which shows the difference in weighing and measuring solids. It's pretty eye-opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGcdyfDM3oQ
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend upping your protein higher than 40g per day. Try setting your macros to 45% carbs 25% protein 30% fat. Carbs are not always the bad guy, just like sodium is not always the bad guy. If you're getting enough potassium in your diet, I wouldn't even worry about sodium. Also, if you haven't started, I would start heaving lifting. It's better for your body than aerobics is, if you want to build muscle.
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    I'd recommend upping your protein higher than 40g per day. Try setting your macros to 45% carbs 25% protein 30% fat. Carbs are not always the bad guy, just like sodium is not always the bad guy. If you're getting enough potassium in your diet, I wouldn't even worry about sodium. Also, if you haven't started, I would start heaving lifting. It's better for your body than aerobics is, if you want to build muscle.
    Thank you!
    Do you means 45 % protein or carbs? since you said to up my protein
  • ErinWoy3
    ErinWoy3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated with my lack of weight loss. My eating is good, I workout 7 days a week. Workouts range from running, walking, weight training and HIIT. I am stuck between 220 and 230 and yoyo throughout the week. I am not new to working out or eating in a healthy way. I get so discouraged and frustrated and wonder why I am even trying.
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    ErinWoy3 wrote: »
    I am so frustrated with my lack of weight loss. My eating is good, I workout 7 days a week. Workouts range from running, walking, weight training and HIIT. I am stuck between 220 and 230 and yoyo throughout the week. I am not new to working out or eating in a healthy way. I get so discouraged and frustrated and wonder why I am even trying.

Definitely know that feeling but unfortunately your workouts won't get you there if you're still eating at a calorie surplus. This is an old thread (who cares, by the way?) but check out the pointers above. Accurate logging is really all there is to it.