“Local” foods that international friends don’t understand!

Options

Replies

• Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Burgoo, shelly beans, and bread pudding. :-)

@rosebarnalice we have bread pudding here, too - I wonder if it is the same sort of thing? Ours is bread soaked in milk then scrunched up, it is mixed with eggs, sugar, dried fruit and spices then baked - what's yours? We also have bread and butter pudding which is similar but made with an egg custard mixture poured over layers of bread and fruit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012636-simple-bread-pudding

This is what I think of as basic US bread pudding, although it can various additions.
  • NannMC
    NannMC Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No one has said Cheese Curds - deep fried or fresh. A good cheese curd will squeak when your teeth bite into it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Being Kentucky, the main difference is we serve ours with bourbon sauce instead of custard. And there are great personal debates about adding fruit to the bread mixture or the bourbon sauce. I'm definitely on Team Bourbon :-)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've never heard of some of these things, lol.

15 foods only New Englanders eat: Fluffernutters, chow mein sandwiches and more

15. Clam chowder: Sometimes, stereotypes are true. While the city of Boston isn't full of people in Red Sox hats yelling "Chowdah" at each other, it's impossible to ignore the popularity of the soup in the region. You also can't mess with it. Seriously, it's illegal. There's a law in Massachusetts banning the addition of tomato sauce to clam chowder.

I'm in Los Angeles and used to see on menus tomato-based clam chowder called "Manhattan clam chowder." I have no idea what people who live there would think. Anyway, I didn't like that type as well.
    And I have trouble finding a version here that has more clams than potatoes. Cheapskates.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    Sponge candy, ox roast, and pepperoni balls.

Okay what’s sponge candy then?!

Best way I can describe it is like fluffy caramel covered in chocolate.
    https://www.yourerie.com/digital-first/digital-exclusive/digital-exclusive-sponge-candy-explained/

Oh that’s hilarious - I clicked on the link but the content is banned for Europeans 🤣🤣 so I can’t even find out what it is!

Let's try this one lol
    https://www.stefanelliscandies.com/collections/sponge-candy
    Ohhhh I think that’s like a British Crunchie bar! Okay I get it now 🤣🤣

Oh yes, I've known it as honeycomb candy. I love it although it's impossible to get it off my teeth!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    NannMC wrote: »
    No one has said Cheese Curds - deep fried or fresh. A good cheese curd will squeak when your teeth bite into it.

Love those, although fresh, not deep fried. They are available here.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Being Kentucky, the main difference is we serve ours with bourbon sauce instead of custard. And there are great personal debates about adding fruit to the bread mixture or the bourbon sauce. I'm definitely on Team Bourbon :-)

I've had it with bourbon sauce at restaurants here. I'm pro.

For regional specialities that may not be liked/understood elsewhere, there's always the big regional BBQ debate if one wants to go there! ;-)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've never heard of some of these things, lol.

15 foods only New Englanders eat: Fluffernutters, chow mein sandwiches and more

15. Clam chowder: Sometimes, stereotypes are true. While the city of Boston isn't full of people in Red Sox hats yelling "Chowdah" at each other, it's impossible to ignore the popularity of the soup in the region. You also can't mess with it. Seriously, it's illegal. There's a law in Massachusetts banning the addition of tomato sauce to clam chowder.

I'm in Los Angeles and used to see on menus tomato-based clam chowder called "Manhattan clam chowder." I have no idea what people who live there would think. Anyway, I didn't like that type as well.
    And I have trouble finding a version here that has more clams than potatoes. Cheapskates.

I just realized the New England list was missing the lobster roll, which seems wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    I've had savory bread pudding, too . . . but I think that's more an idiosyncratic thing, than a regional one. (Artisan baker guy makes it, don't know where it came from, if anywhere..)

Yeah, we have cheese curds, too, including locally made. I first had them in Canada IIRC, when they weren't as common here, though - years back.

Some things that are regional may just be called different things in different places? The sponge candy appears to be what I'm familiar with as Seafoam. (I don't care for it much. Too just-sweet.)

Folks have mentioned the clam chowder debates. There are also regional BBQ/Barbecue debates; and arguments about what belongs on a hot dog, or what can be called a Coney Dog; whether spaghetti and chili should be on one plate together; and that sort of thing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In the BBQ arena, Western Ky mutton with a vinegar & mustard sauce traditionally slow roasted and mopped every couple of hours.

But my fave is still Texas style with dry rub and lots of mesquite
  • lkpducky
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Folks have mentioned the clam chowder debates. There are also regional BBQ/Barbecue debates; and arguments about what belongs on a hot dog, or what can be called a Coney Dog; whether spaghetti and chili should be on one plate together; and that sort of thing.
    Not to mention various styles of chili itself (beans, no beans, type of meat, type of seasoning, etc.)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Two comments:

1) I was told by my carribean-born hubby that the “Johnny” in Johnny cake is a twist on “journey” - something folks took on long trips because they were filling? Not sure if that’s true.

2) and for the love of all things holy - what is marmite?! Visited my sister-in-law in the UK and she served it in a lot of stuff. I get the heebie-jeebies just typing the word! 🤢. What. Is. That?! 😂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Grits
    Hominy
    Boiled peanuts
    Corn pones
    Mud pie
    Hummingbird Cake
    Icebox pie
    Fried okra
    Fried green tomatoes (to die for when properly cooked with cornmeal- a pox upon any menu that adds blue cheese or anything else wet and runny)
    Fried squash
    Fried cauliflower (noticing a trend here?)
    Naked dog walking, preferably with a Frosted Orange
    Co-Cola 😂😂😂

• lemurcat2
    Options
    I've had savory bread pudding, too . . . but I think that's more an idiosyncratic thing, than a regional one. (Artisan baker guy makes it, don't know where it came from, if anywhere..)

I've had this as a side at restaurants (ones that tend to be local and seasonal and have interesting menus that change often).
  • lkpducky
    Options
    When I lived in Indiana, I had sugar cream pie for the first time. It was so good! Is that strictly Indiana?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if puffy tacos are a regional thing...we have them here, but I never had them where I grew up...
    I'm not sure if they are available nationally/internationally, and maybe I just missed out for many years.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Indiana, I had sugar cream pie for the first time. It was so good! Is that strictly Indiana?

I think it might be close to the same thing that would be called custard pie here?
  • lkpducky
    edited March 2021
    Options

I think it might be close to the same thing that would be called custard pie here?
    Close - the difference is that there aren't any eggs in the filling
    https://divascancook.com/sugar-cream-pie-recipe-hoosier/