“Local” foods that international friends don’t understand!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    We used to go to the rec for a yuk. Can’t get much more local than that. A yuk was a burrito smothered in chili, onions, cheese and good things that looked like— well—
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member

Over to everyone else! 🤣

Carne Asada.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Two comments:

@CeeBeeSlim 1) I was told by my carribean-born hubby that the “Johnny” in Johnny cake is a twist on “journey” - something folks took on long trips because they were filling? Not sure if that’s true.

2) and for the love of all things holy - what is marmite?! Visited my sister-in-law in the UK and she served it in a lot of stuff. I get the heebie-jeebies just typing the word! 🤢. What. Is. That?! 😂

Your husband is right, but his reason isn’t quite! They’re such simple basic, non perishable ingredients that it was quick and easy to make them at the end of the day’s travelling by the campfire. Comes from the Pioneer days, at least according to Laura Ingalls Wilder! 😂

Marmite is Yeast Extract. Deeply savoury, umami heaven! It is very divisive - something the company play on quite a lot in their advertising campaigns! You clearly don’t have the Marmite Gene! 😉
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I’m loving this thread! I can’t understand most of what you are all taking about 🤣🤣
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited March 2021
    I’m loving this thread! I can’t understand most of what you are all taking about 🤣🤣

If this is confusing take a look at the ‘New products that caught your eye recently’ thread on this board! Nothing like a scroll through that to make you feel that we, in the UK, are living on an entirely different planet! 😂
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Has anyone mentioned "stuffed Mangoes?"
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021

If this is confusing take a look at the ‘New products that caught your eye recently’ thread on this board! Nothing like a scroll through that to make you feel that we, in the UK, are living on an entirely different planet! 😂

I don't know the vast majority of those products either (I either shop in a different part of the store or they are order by mail type items), and I'm in the US. Plus, if talking about packaged stuff, you all have things we don't too.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    @BarbaraHelen2013 Thank you! And as an avid LHOP fan, I should’ve known that.

On a different note, here’s one for you all!

“Country itch bones”. Five pounds for $5. 😂
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2021
    Canadian here.
    Some one told me that butter tarts are only in Canada? Is this true? If so you should come here and have one.
    Also "All Dressed" chips (and I guess ketchup chips but I don't like those anyway.)
  • 33gail33
    edited March 2021
    Ooh, though I’m a Mancunian living in Canada I recognize all and love most of the Scottish delights.
    (Dad was Aberdonian)

For a OTC sponge candy in North America see if you can find a Crunchy Bar. I can buy them in our supermarkets but not sure of the continent wide availability.

Lancashire hot pot
    Eccles cakes
    Chorley cakes
    Muffins (a cross between a Kaiser roll and a Scotch Bap, nothing like the NAmerica muffin)

Chocolate biscuit cake ( we always had to make these as treats on birthdays etc, last year in Scotland I saw them in shops ready made, the nerve! :))
    ‘Tater ash
    Steak and kidney pudding
    Mushy peas
    Butter pie (savoury)
    Treacle toffee.

Maybe strange mixes I eat between bread and butter.
    Chip butties
    Crisp butties
    Sugar butties
    ‘Tater ash butties.

Cheers, h.

My parents are Scottish and the thing I remember most from when I was a kid are Scotch meat pies and Snowballs. We used to get them from a Scottish bakery in Toronto. And Stovies. (And my mom also eats chip and crisps "sandwiches" - I always found that a bit odd. :smile: )
  • lemurcat2
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Canadian here.
    Some one told me that butter tarts are only in Canada? Is this true? If so you should come here and have one.
    Also "All Dressed" chips (and I guess ketchup chips but I don't like those anyway.)

This write-up seems to confirm that they are Canada specific: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019129-butter-tarts.

Apparently we now have the "all-dressed" chip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-dressed#:~:text=All-dressed (assaisonnées in French,by prison supplier Keefe Group), although IMO it sounds terrible.

Ketchup chips are listed here as a Canadian thing only: https://www.cbc.ca/life/food/7-canadian-snacks-you-can-t-get-in-the-u-s-and-the-backstory-on-why-1.4102299#:~:text=Ketchup chips&text=This is inexplicably a Canadian,chips, like orange and grape

I don't like ketchup, so certainly don't want some ketchup flavored (or flavoured) chip. ;-)
  • 33gail33
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Canadian here.

This write-up seems to confirm that they are Canada specific: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019129-butter-tarts.

Apparently we now have the "all-dressed" chip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-dressed#:~:text=All-dressed (assaisonnées in French,by prison supplier Keefe Group), although IMO it sounds terrible.

Ketchup chips are listed here as a Canadian thing only: https://www.cbc.ca/life/food/7-canadian-snacks-you-can-t-get-in-the-u-s-and-the-backstory-on-why-1.4102299#:~:text=Ketchup chips&text=This is inexplicably a Canadian,chips, like orange and grape

I don't like ketchup, so certainly don't want some ketchup flavored (or flavoured) chip. ;-)

All dressed are the best chips! Never met an American who didn't like them when they came here. :smiley: Ketchup chips are gross.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've had savory bread pudding, too . . . but I think that's more an idiosyncratic thing, than a regional one. (Artisan baker guy makes it, don't know where it came from, if anywhere..)

Yeah, we have cheese curds, too, including locally made. I first had them in Canada IIRC, when they weren't as common here, though - years back.

Some things that are regional may just be called different things in different places? The sponge candy appears to be what I'm familiar with as Seafoam. (I don't care for it much. Too just-sweet.)

Folks have mentioned the clam chowder debates. There are also regional BBQ/Barbecue debates; and arguments about what belongs on a hot dog, or what can be called a Coney Dog; whether spaghetti and chili should be on one plate together; and that sort of thing.

What you're describing is Cincinnati chili, which - as a Cincy native, I will be the first to say - is not chili, it's meat sauce. Kind of like how Rocky Mountain oysters aren't oysters. Therefore, (1) yes, it's absolutely permissible to serve it over spaghetti, and (2) it's much more suitable for topping hot dogs to make Coneys than a more heterogeneous chili with chunks of pepper or tomato or whatever. No, a much more productive chili debate is the question of beans or no beans. I like beans in chili, but it's my understanding that Texans take umbrage at their inclusion.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Canadian here.

All dressed are the best chips! Never met an American who didn't like them when they came here. :smiley: Ketchup chips are gross.

According to the description "[t]he original recipe combined the flavours of salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion, barbecue, and ketchup." I like sour cream and onion, think salt and vinegar are okay (I'm not all that into chips in general), and also quite like jalapeno, which is not relevant here. I hate barbecue flavored chips and will not eat them, ketchup sounds nasty (since I don't even like ketchup as a dip), and too many flavors together seems generally not tasty. So I'd try, but predict I would not like.
  • lemurcat2
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've had savory bread pudding, too . . . but I think that's more an idiosyncratic thing, than a regional one. (Artisan baker guy makes it, don't know where it came from, if anywhere..)

Yeah, we have cheese curds, too, including locally made. I first had them in Canada IIRC, when they weren't as common here, though - years back.

Some things that are regional may just be called different things in different places? The sponge candy appears to be what I'm familiar with as Seafoam. (I don't care for it much. Too just-sweet.)

Folks have mentioned the clam chowder debates. There are also regional BBQ/Barbecue debates; and arguments about what belongs on a hot dog, or what can be called a Coney Dog; whether spaghetti and chili should be on one plate together; and that sort of thing.

What you're describing is Cincinnati chili, which - as a Cincy native, I will be the first to say - is not chili, it's meat sauce. Kind of like how Rocky Mountain oysters aren't oysters. Therefore, (1) yes, it's absolutely permissible to serve it over spaghetti, and (2) it's much more suitable for topping hot dogs to make Coneys than a more heterogeneous chili with chunks of pepper or tomato or whatever. No, a much more productive chili debate is the question of beans or no beans. I like beans in chili, but it's my understanding that Texans take umbrage at their inclusion.

This is a fun piece on Cinci chili: https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/craving/ct-food-cincinnati-chili-history-0822-story.html

Re: "Chicago used to have two Cincinnati chili parlors, but both closed years ago, and if there are any replacements out there, I don't know where they are. " One of them was near me, back in the late '90s, and I tried it a few times and didn't object.

Related interview with some guy on midwestern specialties (most of which I haven't actually had): https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/craving/ct-food-titus-ruscitti-midwest-regional-food-20180802-story.html
  • 33gail33
    How could I forget Caesers! My DIL takes Clamato with her when she travels because you can't get them most places. (Just don't think too much about drinking clam juice.)
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Grits
    Hominy
    Boiled peanuts
    Corn pones
    Mud pie
    Hummingbird Cake
    Icebox pie
    Fried okra
    Fried green tomatoes (to die for when properly cooked with cornmeal- a pox upon any menu that adds blue cheese or anything else wet and runny)
    Fried squash
    Fried cauliflower (noticing a trend here?)
    Naked dog walking, preferably with a Frosted Orange
    Co-Cola 😂😂😂

FYI don't Google 'naked dog walking' on your work computer. Learn from me...
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    edited March 2021
    Two typical German foods:

Mettbrötchen - Raw minced meat (pork) with onion on bread rolls for breakfast

also

Quark - a special form of fresh cheese. Every German that likes to bake has searched for this at least once in a foreign supermarket.
  • lemurcat2
    I've purchased Quark at my neighborhood grocery here in the US. (The grocery also happens to be a "meat market" with lots of German and other European specialty things in a traditionally German neighborhood, though.) That said, I think I've seen it at WF too, although I'm not certain of that.