If I do regular 20 minutes exercise and diet, how fast can I loose weight

Options
Let say I have 200 pounds, and 5,5 foot, (130kg, 168cm) how fast can I loose weight to reach 150-170 pounds and can I reach that much?
activity should be upped from very mostly sedentary to low to mid activity, 20 minutes of exercise, healthy diet, plus bit more if needed.
Ideally I want to loose weight in a year or so.

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    You can go to this NIDDK website, and fill out your info. It'll give you the calories you need to eat to lose that much weight in one year...https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    If eating in a healthier manner as you define it brings your calories into alignment with creating an appropriate deficit, and you continue to apply the deficit over time, the results you seek are very much achievable.

Being sedentary is not particularly healthy for people, so becoming more active and even exercising are good things and probably beneficial independently of weight management.

Counting calories with varying degrees of accuracy can help you create an appropriate deficit. Eating healthier may be quite effective but is also probably much less precise of an instrument!

If you do create a deficit you will lose weight.

If your weight trend over time (4-6 weeks) shows an approximate 1lb decrease per week you will be well on your way to achieving your goals!
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »
    You can go to this NIDDK website, and fill out your info. It'll give you the calories you need to eat to lose that much weight in one year...https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp

Wow, this is really interesting - thanks for the link! 👍
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    A year is very doable if you are at a calorie deficit. Exercise is great for overall health, but not necessary for weight loss. Calorie deficit is how weight is lost.

As you said, a calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Exercise can help create that deficit, so it's not just for health. My sedentary TDEE is around 2100 but my actual TDEE is closer to 2700. That difference alone is good for over 1 lb per week weight loss.

that's true, but not everyone is fit enough to work out that much day in day out, and many people will never be. If you happen to be a woman this is even more difficult. For me, I'd need to run 10km every single day to get a 500 calorie exercise burn.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The link has some amazing information and resources. It was what I needed for my waning motivation. Thank you!
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Lots of disagrees on this one. I was quite impressed. It pretty much nailed my TDEE. How come it’s controversial?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

It's probably not the link nor the research that supports it!

I suspect that the disagreement has to do with the fact that you SOUND as if you are saying that a set amount of calories will set one to lose x in y time.

I happen to know what the bodyweight planner is and it would still take quite a bit of knowledge/effort to specify correct physical activity levels and I realize that it is more a tool to play what if scenarios as opposed as something that will generate a single magic figure.

But you SOUND as if you're saying it will produce a single magic figure.... at least that would be my first read and why I would give it a disagree based on that read.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    davew0000 wrote: »

Lots of disagrees on this one. I was quite impressed. It pretty much nailed my TDEE. How come it’s controversial?

I dont know that the linked site is controversial - perhaps people just disagreed with the idea of directing someone to another site to work out your calories when that function is right here on MFP.

and anyway 3 disagrees isnt really a lot....
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’m guessing you didn’t get to 200 lbs in year. So, be patient with yourself. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
    1-2 lbs of weight loss per week is a reasonable goal. With a consistent caloric deficit you should be able to lose 50lbs in a year.
    Even better than that, since you’ll have embraced a healthier more active lifestyle, you’ll keep that weight off.
    Track your progress and watch for trends. You’ll start to see the scale trending downward. I say trending, because the scale will fluctuate.
    Stay positive. Everyday is a new day to plan, track and make progress.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You're welcome! I'm taking an online class on obesity, and that's a website they recommend...maybe because it's a government site, and MFP isn't? I like it because you can mess around with different dates and exercises and get a realistic idea of what your goals might be. I think most people know it's just an educated guess and everyone is going to have a different result. I don't even pay attention to disagrees anymore, except to try for 100 to see if I get a badge, haha. (I think sometimes people accidently disagree when they're using touchscreen phones)
    AmunahSki wrote: »

Wow, this is really interesting - thanks for the link! 👍
    davew0000 wrote: »

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    A year is very doable if you are at a calorie deficit. Exercise is great for overall health, but not necessary for weight loss. Calorie deficit is how weight is lost.

As you said, a calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Exercise can help create that deficit, so it's not just for health. My sedentary TDEE is around 2100 but my actual TDEE is closer to 2700. That difference alone is good for over 1 lb per week weight loss.

that's true, but not everyone is fit enough to work out that much day in day out, and many people will never be. If you happen to be a woman this is even more difficult. For me, I'd need to run 10km every single day to get a 500 calorie exercise burn.

Yes! It’s important not to rely too much on exercise to create your deficit as it’s easy to shift into the “exercise is punishment for eating” zone.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Yes! It’s important not to rely too much on exercise to create your deficit as it’s easy to shift into the “exercise is punishment for eating” zone.

This is why I favor working it in upfront rather than using it as a fallback if you overeat. But there's absolutely nothing about planning to use activity/exercise as part of the deficit that inherently leads to exercise as a punishment. I've always included it since for me the idea to to be healthier and more fit, and exercise is an important part of that. (That sounds like what OP is going for too, and that she intends/wants to include adding in exercise as part of her plan, although it would be nice if she'd come back and tell us what she's thinking and how it's going.)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

This is why I favor working it in upfront rather than using it as a fallback if you overeat. But there's absolutely nothing about planning to use activity/exercise as part of the deficit that inherently leads to exercise as a punishment. I've always included it since for me the idea to to be healthier and more fit, and exercise is an important part of that. (That sounds like what OP is going for too, and that she intends/wants to include adding in exercise as part of her plan, although it would be nice if she'd come back and tell us what she's thinking and how it's going.)

Yeah, this is how I view it too. I look at my exercise calories to aid with my deficit (eating more is always a nice incentive for working out.). It's not the only reason though...I'm learning that it seems to be connected with my BP numbers, and potentially getting off the meds is a motivator. Plus there are just general health and mental well being reasons to do so. I already plan ahead to exercise each day, though.