hi,want a good strategy

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
hi i want a good stratgy to lose 40 kg ( my extra weight)
and maintain healthy weight (not important now much)
it s long journey what i am seeking but
anyone simpilfy and explain to me a good journey to go on to lose those 40 kgs
i usually go on lose some and go back
this happen to me many times
thank you

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

Start with these. Considering you have a yo-yoing history and are already worried about maintaining whatever loss you do achieve, I’d say go slow and only make changes you’re committed to sticking to for the rest of your life. If you hate running and weightlifting but prefer, say, gardening or mountain biking, do the activities you love instead of what some website might claim are ”more effective”. Same with food. Find options you love, learn to make your favorites in a healthier way, tune in on your portion sizes and so on.

Your life doesn’t get paused during weight loss, so try to find a way to enjoy it and learn healthy habits for the rest of your life while losing weight.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple - that’s the best strategy.

There are no tricks or magic methods, I recall you’ve posted in the past about various ‘bro-science’ theories so forget all those this time around.

Establish your daily calorie level that has a sensible deficit built in. Use the MFP setup and choose a steady weight loss goal.

Eat food that you enjoy within that calorie goal. As time goes on you’ll find foods that help you to feel more satisfied and also foods that don’t really ‘work’ for their calorie cost. Adjust as needed as you learn what you prefer, everyone is a little different.

That’s really all you need.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's really simple:
    1. Set a realistic goal based on a rate of weight loss in the range of .5% to 1% per week
    2. Track everything you eat and drink
    3. Stay within your budget.
    4. Understand how to measure weight loss (search weight fluctuations)
    5. If you are able bodied, increase your activity level slowly over time with something you can sustain long term

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    It's really simple:
    1. Set a realistic goal based on a rate of weight loss in the range of .5% to 1% per week
    2. Track everything you eat and drink
    3. Stay within your budget.
    4. Understand how to measure weight loss (search weight fluctuations)
    5. If you are able bodied, increase your activity level slowly over time with something you can sustain long term

Pretty much all of this. The realistic goal part in particular because that could play an important role when you get to maintaining. People get this idea that they need to get weight off "quickly" so they cut drastically or take some "bro-science" approach, lose the weight, stop what they were doing and go back to "normal" and gain it back. If you take the time to lose weight sensibly and mindfully (learning what works for you and developing long term healthier habits), it sets you up with a better mindset for maintenance.
    Someone here used to like to say that weight loss mode should look a lot like maintenance mode, just slightly reduced calories. Think about how you like to eat and what you can see yourself sticking with, and then apply it to your calorie budget and see what you can adjust.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Your life doesn’t get paused during weight loss, so try to find a way to enjoy it and learn healthy habits for the rest of your life while losing weight.

This is an interesting point and I think a key factor in success and failure. My wife and I had been discussing the need for both of us to lose weight back in December. She decided to wait until after the first of the year to start because she thought it would be too hard to lose weight around Christmas and New Years. I started Dec 20th because I knew that I would make some progress even if it was only in establishing a routine.

My college aged kids were here over the holidays and my family considers me a gourmet chef. I smoked ribs, my son and I made chicken tika masala, hamburgers and brats, steaks etc... I had beer or wine with most meals ... we basically spent 2 weeks cooking a lot of what are considered "unhealthy" foods.

On Dec 20th I weighed 189.9 lbs ...on Jan 5th I weighed in at 182.3. I've been losing 1.5 lbs per week consistently since I started.

I still enjoy nice beers and wines. I still have some high calorie meals on the weekends but overall I balance it with lower calorie choices during the week. I eat lots of fruits and veggies but still eat steak, ribs etc... once or twice per week. I'm still enjoying life with good food and good drinks and know this is sustainable long term. It is easier for me because a key component of my caloric deficit is built with exercise. That's always been the case for me when I've successfully lost and maintained weight -- it's not required but it's the only way that works for me.

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
    Congratulations for taking your first steps toward a healthier you.

You’ve found a great app and community to improve or maintain your health and fitness. Whatever you’re goals are, there is a place for you here.

You are in the right place. Remember this is not a program or a diet, it is a lifestyle to a healthier you.

Browse around the community to find a group that suits you or stick with these threads. We are all here to help each other out and provide inspiration or motivation.

Start by reading some of the inspiration stories in the blog. You’ll find a theme there starting with:
    - make a small sustainable change eg., if you like to drink pop, then switch that out for water or sparkling water with lemon or lime in it.
    - Once you’ve adjusted to that change then make another small sustainable change eg., if you like to eat rice, switch that out for brown rice
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Monitor your metrics (weight and measurements)
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.

You’ve made a fantastic first step by logging into MFP.

We are all here to support each other.