Parent shaming?

DeaJay_
DeaJay_ Posts: 21 Member
*RANT* So I’m noticing this trend. Especially on social media like TikTok. When did parent shaming become a thing? Literally putting people down and making fun of people for having kids. Calling people “breeders” and acting like if you don’t choose to be *child free* like them your life is over, you are broke and can’t do things like traveling because you can’t do anything once you have children. They worship dogs, but will call children names and post “throw the whole thing out” if a video is posted of a kid doing something naughty. So now a dog’s life should be valued, but a baby’s life means nothing? It’s this new generation of people saying these things and I find it very disturbing. Nobody says anyone has to have children, some of these people shouldn’t be allowed to have anything living under their care with their attitudes. But why is it a trend and funny now to shame people that choose to? To act like you are better than others because you are “child free”? Am I the only who is seeing this more and more?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    It's blowback from years and years and years of society valuing people who choose to have children over people who don't. Despite what you may see on TikTok, in the real world, people who choose not to have children are still looked down upon. Like there is something wrong with that choice.

Rest assured that outside of social media, society still looks highly upon the choice to be a parent.

Eh... yes and no. Having been on both sides of this equation, I can say I still get a lot of judgment and hate for having only one child (unintentional). Many in the younger generation constantly put me down and refer to me as a "breeder" without knowing a damn thing about my history.

But, having been a person who didn't have a child until later in my 20s, I got a lot of heat from older friends/family members because I was willingly choosing not to have a child at that point. Blah, blah, blah.. you'll regret your decision, blah, blah, blah.

Hell, I even got minor judgment from the OBGYN who did my tubal ligation in my 30s. Despite having already had one child, he made me sign paper work stating that I couldn't sue him over my choice (buyer's remorse) and tried to guilt me into not having the procedure done because *he* liked kids.

So I'd say it still very much goes both ways. There's a lot of societal pressure to have children... and a lot of societal pressure judging people for having children. It entirely depends on who your social circles are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    This isn't something I've really noticed...but my social media is pretty limited to whoever I follow on twitter (mostly sport analysts and tv/radio hosts and my friends and family on FB. Don't really care about random people out there that I don't even know.

We didn't have our first kid until I was 36 and my second when I was 38...among my circle of friends IRL, this is/was much more the norm rather than having kids early or not at all. My wife and I started late namely because we did want to enjoy just being married and just being able to do whatever we wanted when we wanted and were pretty on the fence about having kids in general. After five years of marriage, that changed and we decided that we did want kids...so, whoever these random people are out there talking about "breeders" and such, it's just as likely as not that they change their mind at some point. I would assume these people are primarily in their 20s and younger which is way outside of my demographic wheelhouse...so yeah...doesn't really come up within my circles.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    I agree that it is a personal decision. In my experience, I've found that most people pass their judgment based on their life and life choices instead of seeing it from someone else's perspective.

I also can say that I think there is some generational changes occurring that effect the way peoples perspective. Anecdotally- A lot of my friends in my age range have waited to have kids and get married. I was the odd one out getting married in my early 20's with kids following shortly after. They didn't care about my kids, and at some points some removed me from social media because they didn't want to see my kids (or anyone elses for that matter) via social media. No hard feelings, it's their life and their choice. Now that they are starting to get married and thinking about kids their perspective has changed.

I'm a big fan of if a person is happy, aren't causing others harm, and they can understand the negative and/or positive results of their decisions then good for them. I have a hard enough time keeping my crap together, let alone worry about others decisions.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    edited March 2021
    Don’t shame me for all of my children...
    I HAVE A LOT OF LOVE TO GIVE! 😏

Yeah but did you adopt any of them because there are already plenty of children in the world who needs parents.**

**denotes sarcasm; this is not a real shaming.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member

Yeah but did you adopt any of them because there are already plenty of children in the world who needs parents.**

😆
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member

😆

I knew you would find me funny this one time!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited March 2021
    There’s constant shaming of everyone everywhere you look. I feel like all the crap tracking us digitally is really good at tapping into our anxieties to get us to buy stuff, so we’re exposed to content that increases our anxiety and the feeling we could maybe buy something to fix whatever’s wrong with us. The articles recommended to me on my Firefox homepage are particularly anxiety producing.

With all this over-shaming the folks who really ought to be ashamed can just point the finger and say it’s just part of this soul-crushing trend.

Those who feel shame are feeling even more of it while sociopaths are thriving off the chaos.
  • DeaJay_
    edited March 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Has anyone ever thought that couples that don't have kids maybe don't want to because they may have had childhoods that weren't happy? And don't want to chance doing that to their own kid?

And also there are people who are career oriented and may feel they won't be able to care for a child the right way.

I never look at couples who decide not to have children as odd. There are some that can't because of physical and health issues yes, but those that just don't choose to shouldn't be treated any different than other couples that do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree and I wasn’t saying anything negative about people not having them. I said why are people that do being bullied.
  • DeaJay_
    Is it even possible to rant about TikTok. I mean, it's TikTok. That's like going to the freak show and saying there's too much freaky *kitten* going on.

It’s not just on there. I was just using it as an example of where I have seen it. The issue isn’t with TikTok. It’s with ignorant people