How do I get enough protein?

I'm trying out MFP's "High Protein Plan" and it seems hard to achieve that much protein. I'm also not sure if I *need* to go this high with my protein? I have PCOS and have been far more successful at 20% carb, 45% fat and 35% protein than I have with higher carb macros so that's been good but certainly not fast. I was also told that I might benefit from lowering my fats and increasing the protein percentages by a doctor. Following the mfp plan, that's 145g a day (which really sounds high to me). How can I eat healthy while still hitting that goal and keeping the fats in check? I find it hard to eat more than 4 oz of chicken breast at a time, I can handle low fat Greek yogurt sometimes but more than a cup makes me feel sick. Otherwise, I feel like I'm kinda stuck with protein powder :-( I am going to add isopure unflavored to my almond coffee creamer too but that only adds about 8g a day.

Protein fills me up so much that I feel stuffed well under 1200 calories a day so it's even a push to get that much. Any ideas for ways to increase proteins while also not overly stuffing myself? Or thoughts on not going this high with protein? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Not doing this but I'm mostly dairy free as it doesn't agree with me and find that if I want to hit 20% of calories from protein, I end up eating large portions of meat or fish twice a day. What I do find helpful, though, is sticking to small portions of wholegrain carbs, as much as possible (I love brown rice but can take or leave wholemeal pasta!) and having a portion of pulses or lentils, pretty much every day.

When I consume dairy substitutes, I go for soya based ones, they tend to be higher protein - the oat and rice based ones give me an horrific sugar crash and the newer pea protein ones end up with me opening all the windows 🤢
  • @ouryve that's a great idea! I looked it up and soya nuggets have a ton of protein. I eat tofu occasionally but I think I'll swap for those instead

@AnnPT77 that is amazing advice! Thank you for all the help, I'm saving this post!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Nutritional yeast - 8 grams per 2 tablespoons - I use it on eggs and salad.. also in baked goods. I wish I had found it earlier!

I eat a lot of fish - high protein.. I also take collagen peptides in morning - adds about 14 grams .. 40 cals .. it’s helped .. adds up. 😉
  • ouryve
    I'm eating 70-80 grams of protein on 1500-1700 kcal per day - it's definitely harder to build more in without constipating yourself when you're a small, soft woman.
  • ouryve
    Nutritional yeast - 8 grams per 2 tablespoons - I use it on eggs and salad.. also in baked goods. I wish I had found it earlier!

I eat a lot of fish - high protein.. I also take collagen peptides in morning - adds about 14 grams .. 40 cals .. it’s helped .. adds up. 😉

I love fish and used to be pescatarian but, despite living in an island nation, it's really expensive.
  • Safari_Gal_

Can whoever disagreed with me explain why? Wasn’t the topic ways to increase protein in diet?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Can whoever disagreed with me explain why? Wasn’t the topic ways to increase protein in diet?

Sometimes people accidentally hit "disagree" when thumb-scrolling on a phone. If it's a single one, that's even more likely as an explanation.

As an aside: What brand of nutritional yeast is giving you 8 grams for 40 calories? The ones I've used have more like 5 grams protein per 40 calories.

Another thing in that same realm as an add-on is peanut butter powder (like PBFit or PB2) or almond butter powder (like Barney Butter powder ), defatted. Those are in the 5-6g protein per 35-45 calorie range, too, usually. I don't like them rehydrated as a spread (I'd prefer real nut butter), but they're good in pseudo-Asian-style nut-flavored sauces, or mixed with yogurt or in smoothies, etc.

I like both those and nutritional yeast, but the flavor profile is very different, so both can be useful for a tasty protein bump-up.

There are also some pasta types that are decent, too, with 2 to 3 times the protein of wheat pasta. IME, chickpea and red lentil pastas have a texture similar to wheat pasta. I prefer them with a hearty sauce, especially chickpea, which I think has a slightly flatter flavor. A good sauce is tomato sauce, mushroom powder (pulverize dried mushrooms in a food processor), and lentils, with herbs/seasonings of choice - hearty, filling and protein-y in itself. The edamame/soy and black bean pastas I've found to be more chewy (but higher in protein, up to 24-25g protein per 2oz dry serving, for 180-190 calories). I like those in stir-fry type combos with veggies, and they're good with a peanut or almond sauce made with the nut butter powders, chile sauce if you like spice (soy sauce if you don't), and rice wine vinegar plus any seasonings of choice.
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited March 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sometimes people accidentally hit "disagree" when thumb-scrolling on a phone. If it's a single one, that's even more likely as an explanation.

As an aside: What brand of nutritional yeast is giving you 8 grams for 40 calories? The ones I've used have more like 5 grams protein per 40 calories.

Another thing in that same realm as an add-on is peanut butter powder (like PBFit or PB2) or almond butter powder (like Barney Butter powder ), defatted. Those are in the 5-6g protein per 35-45 calorie range, too, usually. I don't like them rehydrated as a spread (I'd prefer real nut butter), but they're good in pseudo-Asian-style nut-flavored sauces, or mixed with yogurt or in smoothies, etc.

I like both those and nutritional yeast, but the flavor profile is very different, so both can be useful for a tasty protein bump-up.

There are also some pasta types that are decent, too, with 2 to 3 times the protein of wheat pasta. IME, chickpea and red lentil pastas have a texture similar to wheat pasta. I prefer them with a hearty sauce, especially chickpea, which I think has a slightly flatter flavor. A good sauce is tomato sauce, mushroom powder (pulverize dried mushrooms in a food processor), and lentils, with herbs/seasonings of choice - hearty, filling and protein-y in itself. The edamame/soy and black bean pastas I've found to be more chewy (but higher in protein, up to 24-25g protein per 2oz dry serving, for 180-190 calories). I like those in stir-fry type combos with veggies, and they're good with a peanut or almond sauce made with the nut butter powders, chile sauce if you like spice (soy sauce if you don't), and rice wine vinegar plus any seasonings of choice.

Thanks @AnnPT77 🤗🙏

I prefer Sari non fortified - (that has 5 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons).. but I also have Anthony’s fortified Nutritional Yeast and it’s 8 grams per 2 tablespoons.

Great ideas and wise words! Thanks!

Ps - meant 60 cals - oops 🙊

kj07h8imz56h.jpeg

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    [...] IMO, we're at the point with protein where it's just marketing...every stinkin' food label makes sure you know "PROTEIN" is in this food thingy. [...]

This struck me today in the grocery store: 2 packages of trailmix, side by side. One was labeled "energy"-something and had 13,4g, the other said "protein" and had 13,2g. What?!? 😯
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    I'm eating 70-80 grams of protein on 1500-1700 kcal per day - it's definitely harder to build more in without constipating yourself when you're a small, soft woman.

It can be hard to get higher on a low calorie budget, yeah. - exercise calories included, I tend to eat around the same amount of calories as you Additionally, I don't eat animal products. This means I had to really remember to have one protein source in every meal (f.e. oatmeal has added peanut butter or at least seeds, lunch is a stew with lentils, dinner a tofu scramble) AND use soy milk for coffee and hot chocolate (no oat, even hough I prefer it). If I follow all of that I can hit 70 to 80 (sometimes even 85) grams of protein per day now.

Luckily I tend to get so much fiber without even paying attention I at least don't usually have to worry about constipation.
  • dewit

THANKS, @Safari_Gal_ ! 🌹 I almost forgot about the package in my cupboard. It does have a lot of protein, who would've thought! 🤔
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member

It's also good on popcorn!
  • dewit
    Excellent! I'll make some 🍿 tomorrow. Thanks for the idea, @LisaGetsMoving . 🌻
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I find it hard to eat more than 70-80 gr per day without putting a lot of effort into finding ways to up the protein without going over calories. Too hard, so I'm good with 70-80 gr with the occasional day of more. Same goes for carbs, I try to keep them lower but allow for the occasional day of more.
  • JCardenas912
    JCardenas912 Posts: 4 Member
    I big myth when doing protein per body weight lb is that you need 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight when its simply not true. A good goal is to aim for 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight ultimately dropping how much you need.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I big myth when doing protein per body weight lb is that you need 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight when its simply not true. A good goal is to aim for 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight ultimately dropping how much you need.

Another myth (IMO) is that an obese person should use obese bodyweight in these estimates. IMO, there is no need for *proportionately* more protein because of substantial fat mass, and shooting for it makes well-rounded nutrition harder to get on lowered calories.

If one does the arithmetic, 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy bodyweight works out to be close to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass, for a middling body fat percent (highish OK bodyfat for a man, lowish OK bodyfat for a woman . . . and the gram numbers that result from calculating based on an actual target BF% aren't IMO meaningfully different, for a large range of typical people).
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Whenever I am cutting, I drink a protein supplement. My supplement of choice is whey protein. I’m not brand loyal, so I get which ever one Costco has on sale ( there always seem to be some brand on sale). For me, I find this is the only way I can reach the protein target and get anywhere close to 30% of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I'm trying out MFP's "High Protein Plan" and it seems hard to achieve that much protein. I'm also not sure if I *need* to go this high with my protein? I have PCOS and have been far more successful at 20% carb, 45% fat and 35% protein than I have with higher carb macros so that's been good but certainly not fast. I was also told that I might benefit from lowering my fats and increasing the protein percentages by a doctor. Following the mfp plan, that's 145g a day (which really sounds high to me). How can I eat healthy while still hitting that goal and keeping the fats in check? I find it hard to eat more than 4 oz of chicken breast at a time, I can handle low fat Greek yogurt sometimes but more than a cup makes me feel sick. Otherwise, I feel like I'm kinda stuck with protein powder :-( I am going to add isopure unflavored to my almond coffee creamer too but that only adds about 8g a day.

Protein fills me up so much that I feel stuffed well under 1200 calories a day so it's even a push to get that much. Any ideas for ways to increase proteins while also not overly stuffing myself? Or thoughts on not going this high with protein? Thanks in advance!

35% protein is already on the high end. How much higher does MFP's "High Protein Plan" want you to go? Can you link to it? Is this something that is for Premium member only?

You are correct, you don't need to go higher than 35%, and depending on various factors, that could be higher than necessary as well.