I am, apparently a clown. Lost 130lbs, and put every single pound back on in the last two years.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Oh my gosh, what a place to find yourself. I’ve done the same thing twice in the past, although for me it was 50 pounds. And I didn’t have the pandemic as an excuse, I just gradually let me husband convince me to eat more like he ate. My trick fhis time was to convince him to change his ways too! I know myself well enough to know I can’t resist temptation indefinitely so I reduced my sources of temptation.

At least you know you can do it. Best of luck to you.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sorry but the pandemic didn't make anyone gain weight, it was the individual's actions.

As soon as people are willing to admit this the sooner real progress can be made.

Best of luck.

Some things are true but not useful. Like, “Your baby is ugly.” It may be true, but what is anyone supposed to do about it? It’s better left unsaid.

The OP knows that no one else stuffed food in his mouth. It’s also probably true that he wouldn’t have overeaten and underexercised without the pandemic. His actions were a response to what happened. A different response was possible, but he didn’t make it. He seems pretty aware of this, thus calling himself a clown. But the weight is there now, and no amount of unpleasantness can reverse time. So, “It’s your own fault,” is both true and not useful.

I just believe in personal responsibility. We all make mistakes in various parts of our lives. We can't really correct them and improve if we don't identify the reason and take personal responsibly instead of blaming a scapegoat.

What worked for me long term was the opposite of this. It was much easier to change the elements of my surroundings to put fewer obstacles in my way than to change my own ability to deal with obstacles. In fact, gritting my teeth and trying to soldier on through sheer willpower failed every single time, while making my life more pleasant and losing weight easier has helped me maintain a normal BMI after a 125 lb weight loss for 3+ years now.

This goes back to my statement. "Some people do well with having their hand held and others need a boot to the @$$." Some people are able to modify their lifestyle to lose weight and keep it off. Others, need a complete 180 with no looking back.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Welcome to the circus! Just need to vent this out, as.... I don't really know where to vent it out at.

myfitnesspal was absolutely instrumental in getting into the best shape of my life (also a lot of weight lifting and martial arts). It took me around 2-3 years to go from 315lbs to 185lbs.

I mean, things I'm sure were slowly creeping back on, but then the pandemic hit. I didn't leave my house, didn't exercise, had all my food delivered, etc for a year.

Stepped on the scale today. Holy cow.

I went from having visible vascularity on my legs to stay puft marshmallow man in the blink of an eye. I thought I was like 250ish, MAYBE 260ish, but wow. Every single pound came back.

Lessons learned! Not much I can do but go back at it! At least I have a better handle on "new normal" now, and have a diet/exercise routine that works despite the quarantine/pandemic. Just wish I did it a year ago, but oh well!

This pandemic has been awful. Absolutely truly awful. The government telling me to #stayhome did incredible damage to my physical and mental health, and took a long time to get a handle on.

I had something very similar happen to me where I lost over 80 lbs and then gained it all back. It took a long time and it seemed to make it harder to do this time around. The reason it seems harder is because I know how hard it was to lose the weight the first time.

I don't want to count calories all my life, I know because I keep quitting these apps I start. So now I am trying to find my forever diet. I know I'll have to monitor calories for a long time and to lose this weight again.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Welcome to the circus! Just need to vent this out, as.... I don't really know where to vent it out at.

myfitnesspal was absolutely instrumental in getting into the best shape of my life (also a lot of weight lifting and martial arts). It took me around 2-3 years to go from 315lbs to 185lbs.

I mean, things I'm sure were slowly creeping back on, but then the pandemic hit. I didn't leave my house, didn't exercise, had all my food delivered, etc for a year.

Stepped on the scale today. Holy cow.

I went from having visible vascularity on my legs to stay puft marshmallow man in the blink of an eye. I thought I was like 250ish, MAYBE 260ish, but wow. Every single pound came back.

Lessons learned! Not much I can do but go back at it! At least I have a better handle on "new normal" now, and have a diet/exercise routine that works despite the quarantine/pandemic. Just wish I did it a year ago, but oh well!

This pandemic has been awful. Absolutely truly awful. The government telling me to #stayhome did incredible damage to my physical and mental health, and took a long time to get a handle on.

Awe 💕 You’re amazing. Sounds like you give yourself enough tough love and just need an army of support. We got you!!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @Theoldguy1 Brother, I am going to have to give you my shirt that says, "Warning: Contents may hurt fee fee's!"
    I think you are right in a way. People love to have an excuse for what they do. The "Pandemic", (I personally don't think we should have locked down healthy people in retrospect.) We all have personal choice. We tend justify our bad decisions with excuses. I'm guilty as anyone else. Yes, some people had their lives changed, but how we react to change is up to us. "kicking someone while they were down" maybe, maybe not. Some people do well with the hand holding approach. Others, such as myself, need to have boot applied to @$$ at times.
    I personally think OP is trying to get their *kitten* together. God knows, even after nearly 5 years of this stuff, I am still getting mine together. So, I cast NO stones. Best of luck OP. I would love to hear how you are doing in the future.

My original and follow up posts were not specifically addressed at the OP, just meant to be a general comment. Just saying and I still believe blaming some outside factor for our own actions is never productive as it takes away energy/focus on fixing the real problem(s).
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I really sympathise. I lost less than you did first time around, from around 88kg to around 72kg. However, I never got my head round maintenance and I can now see from my graphs that my weight was creeping back up all the time I was thinking that I was "maintaining". Then came some medication, peri-menopause, a year with a lot of conferences (hotel food...) and I was back into the low-mid 80kgs. At the end of Lent last year I weighed in at 81kg (top of normal bmi for me) but after Easter 2020 I ballooned to over 88kg again... In my case I knew it was happening but the gradual gain never seemed enough to do anything about it, and in 2019-20 (when I scarcely weighed in at all) I think I didn't want to take seriously what was happening. However, 88kg seems to be some kind of trigger for me.

Since Easter 2020, I have lost 13 kg and am back to just over 75 kg which I had set as my goal weight this time around. I'm working now on strategies which will mean that my "trigger" weight is much lower, at between 77.5 and 78.5 kg, so that when I get there I start to track food and stop this from happening again.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    I think as we all get vaccinated and we resume life; we'll find there was much more damage done in the way of people gaining weight, drinking alcohol too much.. and other health problems surfacing from the lockdown requirements. Not to mention the mental health problems suffered and that will linger.

So, cut yourself a break.. most people gained weight; don't blame yourself. ..just get back on the program that gave you your success before. You can do it!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    That's the trick. Don't cry over the spilled milk, just mop it up before it stinks any worse.

I love this! I Gained more than 1/2 of the 98lbs I lost - slacked for about a year before pandemic +20 - then emotional eating + inactivity +35 more.
    Thanks for the timely words of wisdom!