WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,948 Member
    Options
    no real side effects from shot two- had a few but could just be "me" issues that are normal to me off and on.
    SO,
    Time to get another big batch of candied ginger going, followed by pineapple that will be infused with ginger in half of it and plain the other half. I ate a LOT of the ginger the past few days for my stomach and have shared a lot so time to make more. Got an amazing deal on the fresh ginger at the Asian market last weekend 1.89 a pound and it looks really good and pineapple for 1.99.
    While the ginger is simmering I will go cut the back lawn- it realllllly needs it. Not having the dog out there and having to clean up after her, the grass has been let go. It isn't very big so will be done in ten min. most likely.

Have a wonderful Saturday ladies.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I miss feeling cool.

Never thought I would say that because I love the heat when it is happening outside ... but feeling hot ALL THE TIME is getting a bit old.

Apparently it is not actually as hot as I think it is.

I don't have a fever. Temp between about 36.3 and 36.6. My thyroid is normal. I don't have diabetes - everything is absolutely normal in that regard. I'm not in any pain*. And I have absolutely no problem sweating.

I'm cooler when I exercise outside but even getting up and walking around the office for a minute or two when I feel really hot helps a little bit.

I don't drink hot drinks - I let my coffee and tea cool. I drink a lot of cold water.

I wear cool clothes even on chilly days and when I get home, I'm in shorts and a tank top. My clothing choices for work are narrowing. I'm down to sleeveless tops and skirts or sleeveless dresses.

*Regarding pain: I don't feel pain when I'm normally hot, but when I have a hot flush, I do. A hot flush is even hotter than my normal hot. I feel like I'm burning up and my skin goes all prickly and painful.

Why do I feel hot but have no fever?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-do-i-feel-hot-but-no-fever

Machka in Oz

I'm sorry you're feeling particularly uncomfortable with heat. My momma had a hard time with hot flashes, and I think the nape of her short haircut was always damp from it. When I had " my hot flashes era" I remember at night it would wash over me like a itchy wool blanket. My mouth and brain felt fuzzy, and I felt claustrophobic with it all! I would have to get up, and have a mental chat with myself, drink cold water,band just try to breathe. Now that I am thru that era, I am always cold with purple-y looking toes and fingers. Once I take a hot shower I'm good. Hugs to you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rebecca

Love all those cute Frig notes! :):)

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Well after my little snooze this morning i felt so much better,and here is hoping i can sleep tonight.. will try those pills you suggested i have them..
    4 out of the 5 of us went to a winery today,it was nice,i just got a cream soda and a water...I dont feel that i need the alcohol.. especially with heart issues.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🖐️🌷😊
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Yay! I finally got my vaccination scheduled for Tuesday and then Apr 27. My social life may yet revive!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Sue - curing 3 mice sounds promising.

Lisa - I was raised on meat, potatoes and vegetables (usually yucky canned peas and beans). The only spices were salt and pepper. I wouldn’t and still don’t eat pepper. I was fortunate that if Mom was making something I didn’t like I could go to Grammie’s. I was in trouble when they both cooked something I didn’t like on the same night. I’m not blaming Mom, she tried to get me to try new things, Dad did too, usually with the threat of the belt. There were nights I took the belt instead of trying the food.

a few more years for her to get there.

It is snowing again. I’m not surprised it is only March, but I was hopeful it was done.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Maybe that is why I LOVE veggies so much- was raised on them. Not much pasta or rice. Had the acre of garden and raised all of our meat. Now, because the meat we buy is not as great as what I was raised on, I usually prefer veggies over meat. Meat HAS to be very tender- hate tough or even semi tough meat. We had canned veggies or frozen all winter but those were home grown and then we froze/canned them ourselves in Ball canning jars, no cans.

Trying to figure out why my hair is falling out so bad. It was never really thick- just looked like it because of the curls. I am not sure if it is from stopping taking my vitamins for 3 months(got out of the habit) or the 1 1/2yr on just 1000 cal that I stopped in Jan. but might have caught up with me. Need to figure it out and STOP it before I am bald. I am back on vitamins and biotin and not counting my calories- will start again on the first but keep it at 1200 and not the 1000 and see if things change. Need to get back on track. Everything stopped when my dad died.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Stress will cause hair to fall out. I lost a lot when my husband had his accident and in the months that followed. When it started regrowing, I had layers in my hair and almost had bangs for the first time in decades!

My mother served some canned veggies but my father hated them so she mostly went with fresh or frozen. I find canned veggies too sweet. They've almost got a syrup-y flavour to them ... but then I haven't had canned veggies in a long time! My grandmother had huge gardens so when we visited her, there were always lovely fresh veggies.

I buy fresh or frozen like my mother does. Fresh depends on the season and what's really fresh, and frozen I get year round. We also have veggies in our garden so if we want a salad, we just pick it and put it together. :)

I am, however, not fond of meat. As with Tracey, I was raised on meat and potatoes and since my mother was born and raised Albertan, Alberta Beef featured prominently. From the time I could eat solid food until I was about 18, we had steak for Sunday dinner every Sunday. I hate steak now. I remember horrifying my father when he took my mother, brother and me to a steakhouse when we had come to visit as adults. All three of them ordered steaks of various sorts ... and I ordered the one and only chicken dish! Then later, I moved in with my parents to get my Bachelor of Ed degree and my mother fed me lots of chicken ... so much that I rarely eat chicken now. Well, I'll mix tinned chicken in with my rice at lunch which disguises it, but otherwise, no.

I lean toward being vegetarian. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I miss feeling cool.

Never thought I would say that because I love the heat when it is happening outside ... but feeling hot ALL THE TIME is getting a bit old.

Apparently it is not actually as hot as I think it is.

I don't have a fever. Temp between about 36.3 and 36.6. My thyroid is normal. I don't have diabetes - everything is absolutely normal in that regard. I'm not in any pain*. And I have absolutely no problem sweating.

I'm cooler when I exercise outside but even getting up and walking around the office for a minute or two when I feel really hot helps a little bit.

I don't drink hot drinks - I let my coffee and tea cool. I drink a lot of cold water.

I wear cool clothes even on chilly days and when I get home, I'm in shorts and a tank top. My clothing choices for work are narrowing. I'm down to sleeveless tops and skirts or sleeveless dresses.

*Regarding pain: I don't feel pain when I'm normally hot, but when I have a hot flush, I do. A hot flush is even hotter than my normal hot. I feel like I'm burning up and my skin goes all prickly and painful.

Why do I feel hot but have no fever?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-do-i-feel-hot-but-no-fever

Machka in Oz

I'm sorry you're feeling particularly uncomfortable with heat. My momma had a hard time with hot flashes, and I think the nape of her short haircut was always damp from it. When I had " my hot flashes era" I remember at night it would wash over me like a itchy wool blanket. My mouth and brain felt fuzzy, and I felt claustrophobic with it all! I would have to get up, and have a mental chat with myself, drink cold water,band just try to breathe. Now that I am thru that era, I am always cold with purple-y looking toes and fingers. Once I take a hot shower I'm good. Hugs to you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

That's a really good description! It is like a prickly, itchy wool blanket on a very hot day ... and I hadn't thought of it as feeling claustrophobic, but it is. I feel much better if I can get up and even just pace about a bit.

It's the worst during my 45-60 minute bus rides. The buses are so hot with no ventilation anyway and then I go through a series of those things and of course, I can't get up and move.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did Essential Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich’s Power Hour DVD

Lisa – I have (don’t know if this is like drkaties but I suspect it is) one of those jar openers with the handle. You can use it for different sizes of jars but with the handles it gives you more leverage. Vince’s mother’s idea of spices were salt, pepper, and ketchup

Sue in WA – what company does your son work for? Jess worked for the NIH and they were working on a cure for cancer.

Margaret – I’m so sorry about your husband. Don’t you sometimes just hate those HIPPA laws???

tinaonmove – welcome

I love cooking, but wish I could put together a good dish like knowing what spices go good with which foods. I’m fine if I follow a recipe

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Essential Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich’s Power Hour DVD

Lisa – I have (don’t know if this is like drkaties but I suspect it is) one of those jar openers with the handle. You can use it for different sizes of jars but with the handles it gives you more leverage. Vince’s mother’s idea of spices were salt, pepper, and ketchup

Sue in WA – what company does your son work for? Jess worked for the NIH and they were working on a cure for cancer.

Margaret – I’m so sorry about your husband. Don’t you sometimes just hate those HIPPA laws???

tinaonmove – welcome

I love cooking, but wish I could put together a good dish like knowing what spices go good with which foods. I’m fine if I follow a recipe

Michele NC

I love to cook and do pretty well but it is hard when the guys would rather pick take out. Husband got all pouty when I questioned him about going to Popeye's and paying $25 for fried chicken and two sides(they would be mac and cheese and mashed potatoes). We have so much food at home but he would always pick take out over home made, even though he says he likes what I cook- he also is terrible about having left overs(again, even after saying it was really good). Tonight he did not get fried chicken. He got bbq ribs, asparagus, green salad and his Japanese rice. He said it was good but was too full from eating snacks to eat much of his dinner. We will see if he eats the ribs tomorrow or comes up with an excuse to not eat them.

Debbie
  • Katla49
    Options
    Many restaurants i our town have been closed. Those with drive-in windows are getting by. I hope other r restaurants can reopen. Times are hard for so many. 😢
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Many restaurants i our town have been closed. Those with drive-in windows are getting by. I hope other r restaurants can reopen. Times are hard for so many. 😢

when all this started my husband was going crazy. He would go out to eat with his friends at least 3-4 times a week plus going out to eat/picking up food for his mom. I was fine because I prefer to eat at home. He has gotten better about going out- he did switch it up a little after the first few months- at first he didn't feel comfortable doing drive through- now he is totally fine with it.