Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• dansemaillives
    dansemaillives Posts: 42 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    @dansemaillives losing an average of 1.3 lbs a week isn't too fast. Losing over 2 lbs a week is where it gets to be more questionable especially for those who weigh less. However my weight varies widely daily. I can have a big loss one day and a gain another so that is why I said an average of 1.3 lbs which is what your loss works out to over the 9 weeks. You should be eating between your Basal Metabolism Rate (BMR) and your TDEE (maintenance) rate -Total Daily Energy Equivalency. Just google BMR calculator and TDEE calculator to get estimates. If you are eating below your BMR that is too little. BMR is what you need if you were in a coma or lying down all day. You need more than that or you will have a problem. Eventually settling into 1 lb a week loss would be best for the long haul from my perspective. Listen to your body but also check out to make sure you have a reasonable deficit. A 500 calorie deficit usually is safe.

As to eating or not eating your exercise calories different people do it differently some eat them all back or eat some back. However it will catch up with you over time if you start to exercise more and are more active. Then your TDEE and BMR will change and you will need to adjust. The way MFP does it is they are separating out activity level and exercise calories when calculating what your calorie goal is. They are relying on you eating back your exercise calories or at least some. TDEE includes both.

So what happened to me the 1st time I lost weight on MFP is I kept my calorie goal the same but I started to exercise more and more and I wasn't adjusting my calorie goal or eating more of my exercise calories. Eventually my BMR and TDEE changed so that I was eating below my BMR. I needed to actually up what I was eating but didn't know it. I was eating some of my exercise calories most of the time but not all most of the time. I hit a plateau I couldn't get out of whatever I did. Of course the one thing I didn't think of to try is to actually eat more. When I realized that I started to slowly up my calories to my maintenance calories. I immediately started to lose again. I took a 2 week break at maintenance calories according to MFP and then I lowered them to a more reasonable deficit which was significantly higher than my original calorie goal. It was so weird to lose by eating more. So just watch it. If you start to be more active and exercise more then adjust things. Keep checking to make sure you are eating enough above your BMR. If you don't feel hungry, you are losing at a reasonable rate 1-2 lbs, are eating over your BMR and don't feel weak or tired then you are probably fine for now. Sometimes people will notice the day they lose is the day after a higher calorie day. This can be a clue but this takes a bit of figuring out.

Frankly I would keep doing what you are doing if it is working, you feel good, and you aren't losing more than you are on average but keep an eye out especially if you start to be more active and exercise more then you will need to adjust. Listen to your body.

That is extremely helpful thank you. Off to work out my BMR and TDEE!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    edited March 2021
    KeriA wrote: »
    @dansemaillives losing an average of 1.3 lbs a week isn't too fast. ....... Frankly I would keep doing what you are doing if it is working, you feel good, and you aren't losing more than you are on average but keep an eye out especially if you start to be more active and exercise more then you will need to adjust. Listen to your body.

this is very helpful!! I had no idea, just kinda picked a number at random and have been losing slowly. This gives me some science behind getting the right number, I appreciate your really good explanation!!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    @norafitz61 Try listening to music or a podcast when you set out to walk, that might help it be more interesting? And/or find a walking buddy as it's nice to walk with someone and it keeps one accountable.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8
    February 28: 212
    March 7: 207.9
    March 14: 208.1
    March 21: 207.2
    March 28: 207.0

This week down .2 pounds
    Not too bad at all!

Have a great week!

Jill 💐
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    @norafitz61 Hello and welcome!

I can certainly relate to you on a few different levels. I, too, had bariatric surgery many years ago and gained a lot of the weight back and I also never made it to my goal weight so now I'm back to doing it the old-fashioned, tried-and-true way of diet and exercise and making it a forever lifestyle change. I also hate exercise! Well, actually it's not so much that I hate it as it is that at this point in my life it is painful for me to do - I am 58 at 277 lbs with two hips that need to be replaced, along with a knee that is almost as bad, and disc degenerative disease in my lower back, and COPD. I have to really push myself to get moving at all but it is really good that you get in so many steps per day at your job and that you track them. That's awesome and actually makes a difference. I've also been the type that's not really into walking without some sort of purpose, especially now since I am currently living in Guam which is entirely way too hot and humid for me to even consider taking a walk. So I do a couple of indoor workout videos on youtube and listen to some music that I enjoy and just keep reminding myself that it's keeping me from being an invalid and hopefully progressing me to the point where I'll reach my goals and be physically ready to have both hips replaced.

The one area where we are different is that I enjoy doing my daily logging. It helps me stay focused and on point with my goals and leads me to other areas of MFP such as the community at large and these forums...all of which help keep me inspired. Do you by any chance plan your meals out ahead of time? If that were the case, maybe you could plan a week's worth of meals at one time and only modify it if anything changed during the week so you wouldn't feel so tied to constantly logging food. Not sure if that would work for you, but just a thought.

Best of luck on your journey and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. 😊
  • BethCW2963
    Couldn't resist a little exercise humor for the day! 😀😉

q0mbp2yucf51.jpg

• azalea4175
    BethCW2963 wrote: »
    Couldn't resist a little exercise humor for the day! 😀😉

q0mbp2yucf51.jpg

LOVE it!! hahahaha
  • azalea4175
    annliz23 wrote: »
    I have 14lbs to lose but it an' t budging and getting fed up!

How are you doing this week? remember consistency is most important!! your body will adjust to your new normal then will start losing again. Also maybe switch some things up if you are doing the same thing every day. make dinner at lunch time or switch a different type of protein. You can do it!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    annliz23 wrote: »
    I have 14lbs to lose but it an' t budging and getting fed up!

How are you doing this week? remember consistency is most important!! your body will adjust to your new normal then will start losing again. Also maybe switch some things up if you are doing the same thing every day. make dinner at lunch time or switch a different type of protein. You can do it!

Thanks for the advice I will try to alternate things a bit. Thanks for the support!
  • BethCW2963
    @ready2lose2101 Hello and welcome! Great to have you here.
  • azalea4175
    jm216 wrote: »
    Hello friends!

My oldest turned 20 on March 30th.
    He’s coming home from college tonight, so I’m taking a quick break from baking, cleaning, and decorating. Can’t wait to see him! 🥰🎈🍰
    I actually have 4 days off in a row to hang out with the family and celebrate his birthday and Easter. So happy!

Jill

enjoy!! I love to spend time with my adult son, he's a really cool guy. Have fun!
  • azalea4175
    dew11252 wrote: »
    I'm 67, 5'3", and weigh 282. That's not my highest but it's my starting weight.....starting now. Gotta lose so I can get knee replacements and fix a growing list of other issues.

Point is, I start now. Goals for tomorrow, 1) log accurately, 2) no alcohol, 3) log 4500+ steps.

Ready, set..... go!

those are great goals to start with, we're here for support. :) I need a knee replaced too, I can relate.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Good luck, dew 11252.
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8
    February 28: 212
    March 7: 207.9
    March 14: 208.1
    March 21: 207.2
    March 28: 207.0
    April 4 : 207.3

This week up .3 pounds
    Not too bad at all!
  • jm216
    Seems like lots of us have knee issues. I try to exercise without twisting or jumping since it hurts my knees and then my knee makes popping sounds. Not cool.