Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Seems like lots of us have knee issues. I try to exercise without twisting or jumping since it hurts my knees and then my knee makes popping sounds. Not cool.

arthritis runs inmy family and I've had trouble with my right knee since I was a teen. Now it needs replacing but doc says I have to lose weight in order to do it. How the ^*%%*%* am I supposed to do that when it hurts to move it??? makes no sense to me. BUT I will keep working at it. I sound like Rice Krispies when getting up from sitting!! lol
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,714 Member
    Hi all, do you mind if I join in?

I'm 55 years old, 1.54m tall (just a shade over 5 foot) and I currently weigh 93.4kg (206lbs) - my BMI is 39.4.

Five years ago I got to 60kg (132 lbs) using MFP, but in the intervening 5 years I've gained all the weight back.

This time I'm hoping to get to 54kg (119lbs) , which is a BMI of 22.8. That sounds about right, since I don't have much muscle mass.

I don't expect this to be fast. At a pound a week, I'll reach my goal by Christmas 2022. So I'm here for the long haul.

I walk for an hour most days, and I'm a keen gardener, so those are my main forms of exercise.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Welcome Bella!
    The more the merrier! Welcome to our fun group. ❤️

Jill
  • azalea4175
    good morning Bella, nice to "see" you. We'll love to see your progress :smile:
  • dansemaillives
    dansemaillives Posts: 42 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Seems like lots of us have knee issues. I try to exercise without twisting or jumping since it hurts my knees and then my knee makes popping sounds. Not cool.

I was medically discharged from the forces just under 30 years ago because of both knees being damaged. Always struggled with my weight since and can't run or ride a bike, BUT since starting this push and moving onto MFP I've started to do step aerobics as I was told it's low impact! Well I do 45 minutes a day now 5 days a week and I still don't believe apart from the cracking noise, no problems!!!
  • dansemaillives
    Hi all, do you mind if I join in?

I'm 55 years old, 1.54m tall (just a shade over 5 foot) and I currently weigh 93.4kg (206lbs) - my BMI is 39.4.

Five years ago I got to 60kg (132 lbs) using MFP, but in the intervening 5 years I've gained all the weight back.

This time I'm hoping to get to 54kg (119lbs) , which is a BMI of 22.8. That sounds about right, since I don't have much muscle mass.

I don't expect this to be fast. At a pound a week, I'll reach my goal by Christmas 2022. So I'm here for the long haul.

I walk for an hour most days, and I'm a keen gardener, so those are my main forms of exercise.

Hi Bella, another newbie here (35 days on MFP) but about to weigh tomorrow which will be 12 weeks. I've lost 18.5 lbs at week 11. Exercise seems to be the key this time for me!
  • KKat1021
    KKat1021 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone - new to MFP. I just joined a 16-week program on Tuesday to lose as much weight as I can & the doc recommended MFP for tracking so... here I am. I'm not 50 yet but will be in a few months so I hope I can be grandfathered in. :) I'm having a tough time understanding the macros vs. nutrients thing. Like yesterday I had some of the nutrients left, but my macros were maxed out or over goal, so I don't know how to balance that. Is there any kind of meal plans that I can refer to for my specific macro goals? I'm totally confused as to what I can eat to keep things within limits. Seems like everything I entered, I went over in some area or another and it's frustrating. Little did I realize that a freakin banana and apple for lunch would throw everything into chaos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    KKat1021 wrote: »
    Hi everyone - new to MFP. I just joined a 16-week program on Tuesday to lose as much weight as I can & the doc recommended MFP for tracking so... here I am. I'm not 50 yet but will be in a few months so I hope I can be grandfathered in. :) I'm having a tough time understanding the macros vs. nutrients thing. Like yesterday I had some of the nutrients left, but my macros were maxed out or over goal, so I don't know how to balance that. Is there any kind of meal plans that I can refer to for my specific macro goals? I'm totally confused as to what I can eat to keep things within limits. Seems like everything I entered, I went over in some area or another and it's frustrating. Little did I realize that a freakin banana and apple for lunch would throw everything into chaos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

With macros & nutrients, close is good enough, especially if any given thing's under sometimes, over others, so it kind of averages out over a few days. Some macros/nutrients, it's fine to be over, and the goal really should be thought of more as a minimum (protein for example).

For weight loss, it's calories that matter, period, especially in the short run. Macros and nutrients are for nutrition and health.

Long run, seriously poor nutrition could affect weight loss *indirectly*, through fatigue or appetite. Fatigue reduces calorie burn (we rest more, basically). Also sub-par nutrition can lead to cravings (not necessarily cravings for the nutrients we're short on), making it tough to stick with calorie goal.

Just keep working at it, trying to get reasonably close, on average. It'll be fine.
  • jm216
    hap2go wrote: »
    whats that saying? Make God laugh, make plans?

So my mom fell back in mid march and broke her right femur up by her hip. She was in the hospital and then in rehab. Well in rehab they did a *kitten* job of monitoring her (she has Alzheimer's) and she fell AGAIN last week and broke her right femur AGAIN (this time down by her knee) and spent another week in the hospital. She's back in rehab again but I'm so angry because they are not willing to do any number of things that would help with control of her movements. They wont use guard rails, they wont use a bed alarm, et etc. Which results in us having to pay for private sitters who basically just sit next to her and help get the care team if she tries to get out of bed. :(:(:s

So yeah - my food intake has been crap and I'm just trying to be gentle with myself and watch quantity. I am liking this pretty spring weather though in this part of the world....

bcslem3jcfdk.jpg

Beautiful photo! Sorry to hear about your mom’s struggles.😔
  • jm216
    Taking on grass cutting before the sun goes down. It’s only April!
  • dansemaillives
    So Friday is my weekly weigh day. Today is week 13 and I started on MFP 40 days ago. My biggest issue is not having any friends who take it seriously and just laugh it off!

Anyway, if it's ok I'd like to share in here?

I am 49 years old, set at 1600 calories a day, I am also making sure I eat more protein than carbs. I am exercising 5 out of 7 days doing Step Aerobics for an hour which MFP calculates at just over 1000 calorie burn.

So I started on 289 lbs and after this week's loss of another 3.5 lbs I am now 264 lbs, so 25 lbs lost in total.

Thanks for reading
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    So Friday is my weekly weigh day. Today is week 13 and I started on MFP 40 days ago. My biggest issue is not having any friends who take it seriously and just laugh it off!

I am 49 years old, set at 1600 calories a day, I am also making sure I eat more protein than carbs. I am exercising 5 out of 7 days doing Step Aerobics for an hour which MFP calculates at just over 1000 calorie burn.

So I started on 289 lbs and after this week's loss of another 3.5 lbs I am now 264 lbs, so 25 lbs lost in total.

Thanks for reading

Your doing so well, fantastic!
  • dansemaillives
    annliz23 wrote: »

Your doing so well, fantastic!

Thank you. My first aim is 210 pounds so 54 lbs left and roughly a third of the way to my target!

• azalea4175

Thanks for reading

you are doing a great job. I find some of my friends who do not face the same weight challenges I do just don't get "it". It's not like I can just not have an ice cream cone this week and all is well. keep up your good work, and keep posting!! I'd love to see your progress.
  • dansemaillives
    azalea4175 wrote: »

Thanks for reading

you are doing a great job. I find some of my friends who do not face the same weight challenges I do just don't get "it". It's not like I can just not have an ice cream cone this week and all is well. keep up your good work, and keep posting!! I'd love to see your progress.

Thank you and I will!
  • dansemaillives
    xdriver926 wrote: »
    I joined MFP a couple of years ago and never really got motivated. In Sept of 2020 I got weighed at the Dr office and was shocked and quite depressed at the number I saw. I weighed 392 lbs and am just under 6 ft tall (5'11 & 3/4). I was also 53 yrs old. Life as an obese person is no picnic (pardon the pun). I rarely wore socks because it was too difficult to put them on. Bathing and hygiene was a problem etc.

I started a new journey in Oct 2020 with a goal of reducing my weight and becoming healthier, as a gift to myself. As of today I'm down approx 70lbs to 322!

I walk every day at least 2KM's and up to 10. I have not eaten (added) sugar, pasta, rice or fast food since Sept 2020. I track what I eat and am aware of calories/carbs/sugar and avoid whenever possible.

My goal weight is 199lbs and I realize it will take a couple/few years and thats fine as I'm enjoying the journey along the way.

I feel much better 70lbs lighter. I can tie my shoes, put on socks and get dressed much easier. Getting in and out of bed or out of a chair is much easier.
    I like being less obese!

I'm also on a 106 day streak of logging/journaling on the app.

Since I'm a non smoker non drinker I'll be quite healthy once I fix my obesity problem.

Thank you for sharing what a massive inspiration you are. Keep going you are doing amazing