Down 22 pounds in 2 months. Here's the routine. Feedback welcome

Replies

• MrsBenbow
    MrsBenbow Posts: 6 Member
    Great Job :) I will definitely will try the intermittent fasting. I set a small goal for myself to lose 15 pounds by 5/5 wish me luck
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Have been doing intermittent fasting (noon to 8:00 p.m.) since July 2020 along with logging on MFP. I have lost 94 lbs. so far. Best thing every, and I have more energy than before. Keep up the good work, you are worth it!
  • CTB1234
    CTB1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Question, how did you decide on 1200 calories. I have three stone easy to loose and was going to start at 1200 calories, I also like fasting, Is there somewhere on the site that would recommend the best amount to eat in a day to lose two pound a week at least initially to get me on the right road? I have just joined today.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    CTB1234 wrote: »
    Question, how did you decide on 1200 calories. I have three stone easy to loose and was going to start at 1200 calories, I also like fasting, Is there somewhere on the site that would recommend the best amount to eat in a day to lose two pound a week at least initially to get me on the right road? I have just joined today.

Hi newbie: Click on "My Home". Go to "Goals" and start plugging in your data. There should be a question on the top in red asking if you want them to figure it out. It should take you to your daily allowances of nutrients from there. Best of luck. This is a wonderful tool/guide in losing weight.
  • FreeFor40
    FreeFor40 Posts: 48 Member
    sandysaia wrote: »
    Congratulations on the fast progress. Please tell me what a typical day of eating is for you?I eat way too many calories and having trouble eating portion control.

Thank you for the question. So my first meal of the day is usually between 9am-1pm, depending on when I had dinner or last ate the previous day (12-18 hour fast)

I have two cups of black coffee and two cups of water within 1 hour of waking up.

LONG VERSION
    Eggs, protein shakes, left over meat (chicken/steak) are typically my first meal.

Lunch is usually 2 or 3 of these items an apple, possibly a turkey wrap on whole wheat, soup, cucumbers, protein bar, chicken or a salad.

Dinner is pretty wide open. I have noticed factoring in daily exercise I usually have 1200-1800 calories to play with. I will enjoy a variety of meals.

SHORT VERSION
    So to answer your question in an easier way, eggs, chicken, apples, cucumbers and protein shakes are probably the 5 items I consume the most in a given week.
  • FreeFor40
    noraknotes wrote: »
    That's so awesome! Congrats!

Do you find yourself lacking energy when working out + fasting? I have done fasting a few times but have absolutely no energy to exercise.
    Great question, thanks.

Coffee is key, I have two cups every morning.

I do sometimes find myself tired yes. I think the key of the fast is to have a large amount of time fasting be while your are sleeping.

Eat dinner at 6PM, bed at 10pm, wake up at 6am, eat at 8am = 14 hour fast.

I find exercising first thing in the morning before my first meal works best for my body and I really work up a nice appetite for that first meal of the day.

• FreeFor40
    kimbjg wrote: »
    You are doing amazing keep up the good work. When did you start. I am 18 days in

January 25th 2021. Keep going, in 6 months you'll be so proud of yourself and in 12 months you will be a new person.
    2hermie wrote: »
    Congrats!! I am kind of doing the same thing. I was a terrible evening snacker! The fasting has eliminated that. I did not drink alcohol so that wasn't a concern. I believe the 12-18hr fasting has been the key for me this time. I am currently 2 months in and down 20lbs. I try to stay at the 1200 calories a day and the other big thing for me is limiting my carbs. I am carb sensitive! I do not lack any energy - I actually feel better and am more motivated to take that walk with the dog. When I have a "bad" day calorie wise.... I try to make it up with being a bit more disciplined with the fast the next day. Good Job - keep up the good work!
    Congrats!! I am kind of doing the same thing. I was a terrible evening snacker! The fasting has eliminated that. I did not drink alcohol so that wasn't a concern. I believe the 12-18hr fasting has been the key for me this time. I am currently 2 months in and down 20lbs. I try to stay at the 1200 calories a day and the other big thing for me is limiting my carbs. I am carb sensitive! I do not lack any energy - I actually feel better and am more motivated to take that walk with the dog. When I have a "bad" day calorie wise.... I try to make it up with being a bit more disciplined with the fast the next day. Good Job - keep up the good work!

• FreeFor40

Sounds like you are on the right track.

I think this whole process is a form of cognitive behavioural therapy. By counting calories and keeping an eating/exercise plan, one rewires their brain and turns this new way of life into daily habits.
  • FreeFor40
    What are your macro's like. I am pretty much doing the same thing. Down 8 lbs since March 8th. Feel like it should be more, but I know that I am replacing a lot of the fat with muscle from cycling, strength training and walking/jogging. I am not as strict with the fasting. Thanks for that tip!

I am not sure what my macros are. I count calories, go low carb and try to have white carbs like pasta, pizza dough and deep fried food for example less than 10% of my meals.

8 lbs in less than a month is excellent. That would be close to 100 lbs in a year.

The fast will help and make late night snacking go extinct (if that's a problem for you) Keep grinding
  • FreeFor40
    MrsBenbow wrote: »
    Great Job :) I will definitely will try the intermittent fasting. I set a small goal for myself to lose 15 pounds by 5/5 wish me luck

With calorie counting, 12-18 hour fast and avoiding the dreaded white carbs, you will lose 15 and then some by then.
  • FreeFor40
    Well done. That's a great start. How much protein are you getting? It's probably a good idea to be getting at least 0.8g per pound of lean body mass, since you're on a somewhat high calorie deficit while doing weights too.

I looked at my last month of food tracking and I am around 125-150 g of protein a day.
  • EileenL2015
    EileenL2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Congrats to you. Lots of hard work does pay off. What is your food diary look like on an average day for 4meals....? May be helpful to those of us who are eating too much also.....I eat healthy but snacks can be my problem at times.....myfitnesspal has me eating 1380 calories a day.....3 meals and snack.....I am thinking maybe that is too much, not sure.....Keep up the good work, comments on our questions are appreciated ....Take care and keep it up.
  • Rainworth_Massive
    Rainworth_Massive Posts: 11 Member
    Blakey1982 wrote: »
    This method has made late night snacking go extinct. That behaviour is over.

Yes, it's stopping the late night snacking that makes the biggest difference (for me at least).

Well done & keep up the good work :)
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Great job!! Thanks for the information and the tips on fasting and avoiding late night eating!!! Keep up the great work!!
  • FreeFor40
    Congrats to you. Lots of hard work does pay off. What is your food diary look like on an average day for 4meals....? May be helpful to those of us who are eating too much also.....I eat healthy but snacks can be my problem at times.....myfitnesspal has me eating 1380 calories a day.....3 meals and snack.....I am thinking maybe that is too much, not sure.....Keep up the good work, comments on our questions are appreciated ....Take care and keep it up.

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement!

I don't follow a true structured 3 meal, 1 snack routine. Every day is different based on these variables a) how long my fast was from the previous to current day b) what my exercise levels were c) where the eating opportunities are

I do believe that white carbs foods should not be consumed daily and often have several days a week where I don't eat any. So if you are having chips, white bread or donuts for a daily snack, I would reduce that to 1-2 a week or less.

I wish I could be more helpful with a more structured meal/snack schedule but that's not part of my routine. I just angle to hit my daily calorie goal and eat more the days I have had high exercise levels.

I would encourage you to go for a 30-40 minute walk daily, preferably first thing in the morning or after dinner. This will up your daily calorie recommendation to the 1700-1800 range. Always remember, the more you exercise and move, the more calories you can enjoy.

This ap works wonders and you will continue to lose weight. More importantly you will feel proud about the work and effort you are putting in daily! The planning and execution triggers dopamine in our brains and elevates our happiness levels.
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2021
    @Blakey1982
    you are an encouragement to me and you have some good advice. new start today ... gonna track consistently and accurately. its a start

like what you've shared about fasting. gonna track that. I think my fast is usually about 11 to 13.

stay the course
  • FreeFor40
    dew11252 wrote: »
    @Blakey1982
    you are an encouragement to me and you have some good advice. new start today ... gonna track consistently and accurately. its a start

like what you've shared about fasting. gonna track that. I think my fast is usually about 11 to 13.

stay the course

Thank you friend. This new way I am living is really helpful in so many aspects of my life. Work, family, friends, golf game lol, reading comprehension, happiness, productivity, I could go on. All areas are improved! The weight loss is a great achievement and I am proud. My energy levels and how I feel emotionally and mentally hold higher value to me personally. I forgot how excellent it feels to eat and live more healthy. I will stay the course as I am locked and loaded on losing 65 lbs by August 2022 (40th birthday) and cannot go back to my old habits. This morning I am down 24 lbs since January 24th.

About the fast, when you do have pizza/lasagna, huge sub sandwich, etc for dinner try to push to 16-18 hours before your next meal the following day. Try to workout the morning after before you eat as well. The carbs seem to been fueling my exercise fine and maybe this burns them away better.

Happy Easter
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    That terrific stuff--keep it up! Here's a few notes from when I last made my weight loss goal. It was eight years ago and while many points are still valid, I've learned a lot. I'm trying to get back to it--pandemic induced inactivity has taken its toll!--so I've added some updates in italics.

1. Got a good doctor and listened to what he told me. It's about being healthy, not just losing weight. I am now over 60 and have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, so I have been prescribed Ozempic both for blood sugar and weight loss. It helps control my appetite for sure.

2. Took a good look at myself and overcame denial about being overweight. I had been about 20-30 lbs. overweight forever and had convinced myself that my body had changed, I go to the gym and sweat so I'm in shape kinda, I could never be that weight again, blah, blah, blah. Total crap and a reality-based mindset is crucial. I maintained my weight loss for a few years, then started inching back up, and when COVID hit, I really packed on the pounds and ended up more like 40-50 lbs. overweight--yikes!

3. Found healthy exercises that I really like to do and incorporated them into my busy life. I quit my gym, bought a nice bike, and commute on it to work most days. It's fun and I have to get to work anyway, so it doesn't detract from my leisure time and family life. I'm still teleworking so exercise is tough--need to work harder on this. I still bike for most of my transportation needs but I just don't go anywhere anymore haha!

4. Made positive food choices that I could live with permanently instead of denying myself with a restrictive diet. I'm omnivorous but eat a lot of vegetables because you can eat almost unlimited quantities and still lose weight. I used to eat a ton of meat and developed potentially fatal cardiovascular issues. It was a bit of a transition to focus on vegetables but now I really like it so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything. Most days I eat homemade yogurt for breakfast with fruit, nuts, flax seed and cinnamon and have a crazy huge salad with a wide variety of vegetables for lunch, and I love it.My salad days are over haha, but I'm cooking and eating at home much more than I used to so controlling calories is somewhat easier. I still sometimes do the AM yogurt thing but making a salad at home with 15 different vegetables isn't feasible.

5. Stopped drinking calories--substituting water allowed me to make my calorie goals without feeling like I hadn't eaten enough. This includes booze, soda and even skim milk.

6. Got in touch with my hunger and learned to differentiate between physical and psychological food needs. Having a balanced diet supplemented with a daily multivitamin gave me the confidence to overcome occasional hunger pangs without resorting to boredom eating because I knew I wasn't really starving. I did a lot of boredom eating with COVID, and getting back to tracking my diet meticulously has helped stem this. I started logging food before I ate it and that has also helped me avoid making bad choices rather than regretting them.

7. Controlled late night snacking--I have a nice dinner, plan a healthy and filling snack like an apple or carrots and hummus, and close the kitchen for the night. I used to eat stuff like hunks of cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cakes/cookies/pie most nights after a full dinner and that's just not sustainable. I don't think of it as fasting, but I do now avoid eating anything after dinner.

8. Eliminated non-essential foods. For instance, I used to have oil and vinegar on salads and one day I dropped the oil and didn't miss it. Dressings can kill the dietary benefits of a salad so choose carefully--lemon juice is great too. Note: got some comments on this one--in my example I am referring to a big *kitten* salad, not a small garden vegetable one so I don't need the healthy fat of the olive oil for nutrient absorbtion. Nothing wrong with olive oil, just a question of how to allocate calories and I'd rather get fat cals from avocados, nuts, and eggs. I miss my big *kitten* salads!

9. Adopted delaying techniques to control binges. While I don't eat much bread and white potatoes and do my best to avoid deep fried foods and soda, I never say never to any food. I love dark chocolate, and in reasonable quantities it is a healthy food. The way I keep it reasonable when I'm craving it is by eating a piece and then telling myself I can have another in 30 minutes. I didn't deny myself anything, just delayed it which leads me to savor that piece all the more. And often I lose the craving or forget about it so I never have that second piece. Even if I do, I never have that tenth piece. Word--this works!

10. Ratcheted up strength training slowly and consistently. While my exercise routines are primarily aerobic, a balance with strength training is a good idea. I don't belong to a gym and don't have weights in my cozy NYC apartment, so what to do? I started a morning routine of simple calisthenics--pushups and a series of crunches, and added more every Monday. It takes me 10-15 minutes and really gets my metabolism going for the day. I log these as strength exercises so it doesn't give me a calorie burn (I list my lifestyle as sedentary so I try eat back my other exercise calories). Sigh, I need to get back to this! I've dropped ten pounds in six weeks and have been putting this step off until I had lost a bit more, but I need to better balance my aerobic activity. I'm off to drop and give ya 20!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Fabulous ... love the attitude of this being a healthier lifestyle choice for you! Continued good luck to you x
  • crusherbrickman
    crusherbrickman Posts: 46 Member
    Blakey1982 wrote: »
    Man. That's fast weight loss.

I think the combination of several factors are working in my favour

1. Complete accountability for every calorie I am eating.
    2. The elimination of late night snacking and the 12-18 hour fast. Which is really not that risky, having dinner at 6pm and then eating breakfast at 7am the next day is 13 hours, pretty standard.
    3. The alcohol deduction. I was having alcohol 3-4 days a week. I believe this made my body hold weight longer and my late snacking and cravings the next day were terrible. That's the catch with alcohol, you may only drink three days but with hangovers and cravings 6 days in a week could be impeded.

I am feeling optimism about this new way of life. I think that is important too, not identifying this process as a diet. This is a new lifestyle and I am feeling like a younger, better version of myself.

I'm kinda in same boat. Lost 20+ since jan 28.
    Every single thing I put in mouth is logged. Walking 4-5 times a week for about 20 mi/week.
    Adding in some strength work now and jogging.
    I dont drink, but carbs are my vice. Not eating 1/2 a large bag of peanut Speggtacular M&Ms should help....but I still really want them. They only come out this time of year!

Keep up the good work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!