Arthritis- meds??

Wasn't sure which board to post this in, so hope ok. I've had arthritis in my hands for years and now it's affecting my feet and ankles, making hiking and working out difficult. I've tried Aleve, which seems to do nothing. I'm cutting back on sugar, salt, alcohol, etc, but I'm not getting much relief. I don't do high impact exercise (like running) just long walks, and Pilates every day. Has anyone tried Celebrex or any other prescription medication? I hate taking meds, and side effects but it's to the point where it's really impacting my life and ability to do normal things- like take a 30 minute walk or climb down the stairs in the morning. I'm in my mid 50's and feel like 100! Advice or shared experiences appreciated.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Celebrex worked incredibly well for me for an injury. I didn't think it was made anymore, it was pretty bad for your stomach. If you can see a doctor they're pretty up to date on this stuff.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I believe it's still on the market. There is another drug called Meloxicam. I have a video appointment with my doctor to review my options, but that's not for 3 weeks, so hoping to get some feedback before then.
  • Cyulrichsen
    Cyulrichsen Posts: 12 Member
    I have RA and OA was on Celebrex for years, started methotrexate, now have a fatty liver so am off of it, not sure why but blood pressure was through the roof also, but since I went off it is back to normal, still on blood pressure pills and hydroxychloroquine! I walk with a cane if I leave the house and I love my heating pad or sitting in the sun! :-) I do have an nsaids topical cream but only use when I just can't take it! I am on a diet of fruits & veggies, and trying to stay away from a lot of red meats!
  • zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member
    I have severe osteoarthritis, some hereditary, some from broken bones due to falling (I have MS). I had to get surgery on my big toe, of all places, to clean out the arthritis scarring, and I'm currently waiting for surgery on my hand but due to Covid, the hospitals postponed many elective surgeries. I also have degenerative disc disease in my neck / back. My dad and grandma have / had these problems too. I was getting cortisone injections, but those stopped working. Then I started Tylenol Arthritis, but I had to take at least 4 to get any relief. My dad just started Diclofenac 10%, which he says has been a godsend. I have an appt with my doctor, and I'm going to ask for some. Watching this thread.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Thanks for all of the feedback and sharing your stories. I have a video appointment with my doc on the 20th. I have been taking an Aleve in the morning but it really doesn't seem to help much. My ankles are so stiff and sore in the morning I can barely get down the stairs. It gets better, but they always hurt. Yesterday late in the afternoon I got a much needed pedicure and the gal kept pulling my foot forward and the pain was excruciating.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I used to take Meloxicam and now take Celebrex, but only occasionally. I also use Voltaren gel (over the counter now in US) sometimes. I take turmeric daily, and was surprised how well a turmeric ginger carrot & mango smoothie can help on a really rough morning. (I made it just cause it sounded good and noticed less pain that day. Tested it many times since and it always works.). I've been a pescatarian, mostly vegetarian, for almost 25 years, so I don't know if that helps.
  • lauragreenbaum
    I used to take Meloxicam and now take Celebrex, but only occasionally. I also use Voltaren gel (over the counter now in US) sometimes. I take turmeric daily, and was surprised how well a turmeric ginger carrot & mango smoothie can help on a really rough morning. (I made it just cause it sounded good and noticed less pain that day. Tested it many times since and it always works.). I've been a pescatarian, mostly vegetarian, for almost 25 years, so I don't know if that helps.

It's good to know you don't have to take the drugs every day. That makes me feel better about it. I also take turmeric daily, and glucosomine, but I don't know how much those are helping.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Wasn't sure which board to post this in, so hope ok. I've had arthritis in my hands for years and now it's affecting my feet and ankles, making hiking and working out difficult. I've tried Aleve, which seems to do nothing. I'm cutting back on sugar, salt, alcohol, etc, but I'm not getting much relief. I don't do high impact exercise (like running) just long walks, and Pilates every day. Has anyone tried Celebrex or any other prescription medication? I hate taking meds, and side effects but it's to the point where it's really impacting my life and ability to do normal things- like take a 30 minute walk or climb down the stairs in the morning. I'm in my mid 50's and feel like 100! Advice or shared experiences appreciated.

Have you tried eliminating nightshade vegetables for a few weeks?

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/healthy-eating/best-vegetables-for-arthritis

...Eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and potatoes are all members of the nightshade family. These vegetables contain the chemical solanine, which some people claim aggravates arthritis pain and inflammation. However, most reports are anecdotal, and while it certainly might be true for some people, there are no scientific studies done to prove that they actually cause inflammation or make symptoms worse, says Kim Larson, a Seattle-based dietitian and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Spokesperson.

Nightshade vegetables are rich in nutrients, making them a worthy addition to your diet. Simply test it. Eliminate nightshades from your diet for a couple weeks and slowly reintroduce them back into your diet. If you find that adding nightshades trigger arthritis pain, don’t eat them, Larson suggests.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I have tri-compartmental osteoarthritis in my knee - I went on a low carb, no sugar or alcohol diet (for a different unrelated issue) and side effect was reduced inflammation - straightened my knee completely for the first time in probably 3 years. I also take a curcumin supplement every day. I don’t have a lot of pain anyway with it, more loss of mobility, popping and locking, but it did take down the inflammation so might help with pain as well.
  • Sparketta
    Sparketta Posts: 4 Member
    There is a link between gluten and rheumatoid arthritis... as long as I stay away from all gluten, I don't have swelling and pain in my knees and ankles!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Sparketta, there can be a link between gluten and rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune condition, there are several common dietary reactions related to autoimmunity, gluten as you say, diary, crucifers-cabbage like veg, and many more it can be worth reading up. I'm glad you know what works for you.

33gail33 - agree inflammation reduction is a life saver too for some if not many of us.

Laura op;- I've had to go the alternative path, my system can't take prescribed or over the counter anti-inflammatories, aspirin, ibuprofen and the like, I think it relied on the way too much in the distant past. They cause pain in me rather than reduce it. Having been told by the doctor, to use the things before exercise, being human I'd forget and did not get pain.

I use higher does of glucosamine with MSM and only recently have introduced chondroitin because I started getting discomfort in my right hip. I've had knee issues for over 30 years. Both glucosamine and chondroitin are in the more easily absorbed form. I've been using the combination for less than a month and the rising discomfort in my hip has gone.

MSM is, should be made naturally in the body its anti-inflammatory. Glucosamine, I've read, are little disks of/ within cartilage, chondroitin is the scaffolding which holds the disks apart, the two together enable "fluid" to pad the cartilage out.

I hope you find something to help you.
  • lauragreenbaum
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Have you tried eliminating nightshade vegetables for a few weeks?

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/healthy-eating/best-vegetables-for-arthritis

...Eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and potatoes are all members of the nightshade family. These vegetables contain the chemical solanine, which some people claim aggravates arthritis pain and inflammation. However, most reports are anecdotal, and while it certainly might be true for some people, there are no scientific studies done to prove that they actually cause inflammation or make symptoms worse, says Kim Larson, a Seattle-based dietitian and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Spokesperson.

Nightshade vegetables are rich in nutrients, making them a worthy addition to your diet. Simply test it. Eliminate nightshades from your diet for a couple weeks and slowly reintroduce them back into your diet. If you find that adding nightshades trigger arthritis pain, don’t eat them, Larson suggests.

Hi- I actually don't like any of the nightshades listed. I've always hated eggplant and peppers in particular. I do eat some tomatoes, but not regularly and can't remember the last time I had a potato. Are there others?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Mirica is great and it's not a drug. Found it for my wife's Fibromyalgia. She believes it works better than CBD Oil (she also uses that). Krill Oil is also fantastic as well. Mirica is just two ingredients -- PEA and Luteolin. One is a root vegetable derivative and the other a Polyphenol. PEA has also shown tremendous promise for preventing cognitive decline as you age. I can't remember all the natural sources of PEA, but it's ample in peanut shells. One of the reasons people in the South, historically, used to eat boiled peanuts. There were health benefits to the shells.

Going gluten free has helped both of us with pain (I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands as well -- I'm 56 and my wife is 60). Eliminating fried foods, most sugar, cow dairy and eating more plant based has made our lives so much better in every way imaginable. We feel younger, move better and are able to enjoy life.

Turmeric, Tart Cherry are two other supplements that we regularly take as well.

Glenn Frey, from the Eagles, died from arthritis medicine. Not arthritis. His medicine lead to colitis and pneumonia.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    I was prescribed meloxicam I felt like I was young enough (late 40”s at the time) that I’d build up a tolerance and wouldn’t be able to take it as I aged, which is when I figured I’d really want it.

Just getting out of bed was often a problem. When we built our new three story home, we tried to think ahead. We had an elevator installed for the future, and wood paneling on the stairwells walls so I could go down the stairs hand-over-hand on particularly bad mornings.

I began a stretching regimen every morning. I started with ten minutes then added more and more til it was often thirty or forty minutes long as I discovered how much I enjoyed it.

That led me to try yoga, which was great for flexibitility.

And of course, mucho weight loss didn’t hurt at all.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    And btw, the elevator now serves as a mobile broom closet. I promised myself not to use it until it becomes really necessary.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 308 Member
    cbd oil or thc helps a lot of people
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    And btw, the elevator now serves as a mobile broom closet. I promised myself not to use it until it becomes really necessary.

That could be really handy.