Starting Point

Options
Hi everyone. I’m beginning a journey that will hopefully see me lose 125 pounds overall.
When I left the Army in 2009, I weighed 215 pounds. In 12 years, I have fallen into a sedentary lifestyle, watched my blood pressure rise and have a compression fracture of my L-3 and L-4 vertebrae operated on.
I currently weigh 345. Not happy. Or healthy. Time to take life back.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,227 Member
    Options
    You came to a good place, IMO. There are definitely people here who've lost very large amounts of weight, and kept it off successfully. There are supportive people in the Community, too, IMO. (Like all social media, there's the occasional squabble, but don't let it deter you if you see one - things generally stay under good control, and a diversity of opinions IMO gives lots to learn from, picking what works for me, leaving the stuff that doesn't.)

I've been here for a few years, lost from class 1 obese to healthy 5 years back, and have stayed at a healthy weight since. Even with exercise limitations - not sure where things stand for you on that front, given the back surgery - it's possible to lose weight via the eating route. I was one who didn't change exercise, just changed eating, to lose weight. (Suitable exercise is a great thing for health, of course, but I was already pretty active.)

Have you settled on an eating plan, or ways to be less sedentary if circumstances allow? What's your plan?

Wishing you success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    Hi, Bailey’s Dad. Welcome to MFP!

Looking at that cute little face, you’ve got some serious motivation there!

This is a great group geared towards folks looking to lose more than 100:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

You’ll also pick up tons of strategy and tips by checking the boards here regularly.

Much success!!!!