• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather

The tv channels here spend hours and hours and days showing details for any event they consider news worthy....deaths, government announcements, etc..

Carol in GA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Flea - I've been thinking about you and your husband. Mine has a swollen prostate, but blood tests say not cancer. He is up about five times a night. Men's sense of identity is so attached to their potency. DH'S still works fine at 75, but I always think each time might be the last. Sending my best wishes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thank you, Tracey and Heather. It is life changing, for sure. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but I think he believed it was his best asset. He also finds it strange to realize that barring some other illness or accident, this is probably what will end up killing him. He said it's upsetting and calming at the same time.

And like you said, Heather, up and down, up and down, all night long. I feel like I've not slept well in a couple years, and I know he hasn't.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: You have been busy! :flowerforyou:

Pip: I like your Meerkat and your pup! :star:

Margaret: I agree with you that rioting is a bad thing. I think of you and your son often. His treatment by the police back then was appalling. I’ve been watching the proceedings on TV. A forensic doctor/coroner has testified and given good information. His work seems to be primarily on people who have died. I believe that more is to come next week. I hope that justice can be achieved with better training for police and strict rules on caring for human beings. I also hope the brutal officers are charged with their the killing of an unarmed citizen & set for trial. We can’t fix the past, but perhaps we can learn and improve things now and into the future. This is my wish and prayer. :heart:

Heather: Since Prince Phillip has passed away, who will be the new royal in charge? Is Charles next in line? Might he remain a prince or become the king? :flowerforyou:

A friend has recommended buckwheat flour. Have any of you used it? What do you think of it?

Katla in NW Oregon

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,488 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: bathe Tumble at Woof’s, dry Tumble at Carol’s,
    Bonus: 20 mins sweeping deck
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, veg and cheese prep, tidy for guests, find locksmith to copy mailbox key, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, county planning office neighbor’s plans, ongoing: fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), 2nd week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, bank to turn in pennies,
    Active April:
    7:Do a body-scan meditation and notice how your body really feels: just before sleep... done
    8: Get natural light early in day, dim lights in evening: sunset then dawn ;)
    9: Give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh: this will happen with C and T al fresco today.

My friend C volunteered her grooming table and drier for completing Tumble’s ablutions yesterday. While I dried and we chatted. It was sunny and sheltered where we were and we were enjoying the chat so I spontaneously asked if she’d like to continue to chat up at our house at the picnic table, and she said sure! Then we thought to include our friend T. When I got home, the picnic table was too shady and blustery, but the deck was sunny and sheltered. Joe brought up the bistro table and chairs while I swept. As I went inside to prep some veg, I got text from T begging off but suggesting next day at noon. Relieved, gave me more time to clean. This morning before Joe left for his errands… wait for it… he cleaned his bathroom! It’s the one guests use. I was effusive in my thanks. While he was gone I vacuumed, vacuumed, vacuumed. By 10:30 when I was starting to prep vegs/snacks I realized it was going to be too cold/windy even on the deck, so we all zoomed instead. Not disapoointed, grateful to have gotten a start on cleaning ;) After our zoom chat, met T for a stroll in the sheltered, forested state park nearby but every time we veered toward the ocean paths, we scooted back into the shelter of the trees. We have 5 beautiful, sunny, 60ish degree days forecast but oh, that wind!

Lisa “feeling guilty for not making money” and “best part of being retired is supposed to be doing what you want.” What is it about not earning dollars that is making you feel bad? I’m guessing that, like Barbie’s mother, you contribute tremendous value to the family finances with all your budget/number crunching/lawn mowing/chainsawing etc activities so don’t believe you and Corey are feeling the pinch. Is there something that you “do” that makes you feel fulfilled, or could that be what’s missing?
    Margaret I vividly remembered your pleas for de-escalation training long before the incident happened. Wish it didin’t take media and rioting to open ears/eyes/minds. “So this could happen to anyone of any race and this is being lost in this rhetoric.” Truth this.
    Viv wish when you called the vet they’d have directed you straight to the emergency vet. So thankful the delay was not crucial. Are there adder avoidance trainings available in your area?
    Welcome @ShenaNL and @Humdinger713 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Cheri :heartbreak:
    Rori asking the universe to send the even-better-than-Mary caregiver replacement immediately. (((hugs))) Does your brother live alone?
    Michele poor Bonnie! My heart goes out to you and Vince. The kindest/hardest decision.
    Machka you know I hate to exercise, but if you call it “dancing” or “playing with the dogs” or “dinking around in the dirt”… :laugh:
    A book about me? Dances (in the dirt) with dogs???
    Heather soul work in prime time instead of have-to-but-don’t-want-to-do work? I’m afraid that I’d never get any cleaning done if that were my routine … ;) Kate “time we both have left should be spent doing things that give us pleasure and feed our souls” truth this.
    Barbie :love: your 9 words :heart:
    Katla amazed at, and thankful for, how quickly your furnace was repaired.
    KJ ((hugs))
    Carol have no good advice for you as I am the packrat of our house. Joe is very patient, doesn’t “do” anything with my stuff other than rearrange it in the garage. Sometimes he’ll gently complain about moving it, or ask if I’m ready to release X back to the universe. The most effective is when he packs up some of HIS stuff for the thrift store or dump, then ask if there’s anything I’d like to add… ;) So maybe you need to save up some of your stuff so your DH has to step over it, then you can inspire him??? :laugh:
    Heather and Lisa Had to google “taking the mickey” love the idioms you teach. Like you both, I am phonemically weak and have to consciously enunciate to avoid giving the appearance of mimicking my conversant. When I returned from a week in New England my college roommates could not understand me when I asked them to get the “caht” in the grocery store.
    Rebecca your chief is lucky, you are definitely NOT military issue ;)
    Debbie hope your gardening weekend with your mom is restful and fun.
    Vicki Your friend is lucky to have you. Sorry you had to get attorneys involved but sometimes that’s required to get anything done with Soc Sec.
    Flea ((hugs))

So C wants to lose 25 lbs by Aug 15 and “needs to be accountable” to accomplish this. Invited C and me to form a percentage of weight lost challenge, kick in $10 each and winner takes all. I’ll be a good sport but it is not really my thing. I’d really like to lose waistline inches more than lbs. May use it as incentive to dabble in cutting back the sugar. Any hints/tips/tricks/go-to s when wanting to eat something sweet?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 8, weigh/wii: 8/0/0; steps>5627=2598 :P vits=8, log=8, CI<CO=7, CI<250<CO=7, Tumble=15, Shadow=10, mfp=8, outside=10 up hill=8
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=3.37 packwalk=2, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family, new route- 77elev, 3.12ap, 79ahr, 106mhr, 8.32mi= 727c
    Strava app = 1008
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a Cathe Drill Max DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Firm Ignite DVD.

Lisa – that is a very good way to know when it is time to let your fur baby go. Thanks for this.

Think I’ll make some sourdough waffles right now. I have extra discard that I want to get out of the refrigerator.

Oh no, I just broke a fingernail!

Washed the windows outside. Actually, I had a hard time last year with two of the windows, I had to have Vince do them. The reason I was having problems was because the bushes are so big in front of those windows. Well, Vince never did get around to trimming the bushes for the past two years and they are really big now. I was having problems with another one of the windows so I asked Vince to squeege it. He won’t admit it, but he was having a hard time, too, because of the bushes. Oh, I can’t wait until they are gone. Then used this cleaner for the mold on the deck, but I did have to use a Mr. Clean eraser gently on some parts of the railing. But for the most part, it’s pretty clean now. Hopefully, tomorrow will be nice and we can trim the trees. Vince keeps saying that it’s supposed to start raining around noon, but I say we should just wait and see.

I forgot that I have to make the sourdough sponge for the waffles so I made the sponge, and I’ll make the waffles tomorrow

Update on Bonnie: It’s not carcinoma but lymphoma. Which has more treatment options. We’ll give her a pill once/week for something like 3 weeks. The vet told Vince that this might give Bonnie 4 to 6 months more.

Carol – Vince likes to keep everything planning to fix it. Only it never gets done. Like the mfgr of our Roomba sent a whole new part and Vince wants to figure out what was different between this one and the old one. Personally, I would just throw the old one out. There was a piece of landscape border that I thought that it looked bad. I kept asking Vince what he wanted to do. He kept saying that he wanted to put it back into the ground. Finally, I told him that if he didn’t do something by x day, I was going to throw it out. Well, he never got around to it, I even gave him an extra week, and I threw it out. I still don’t know if he even noticed. That’s how I usually handle his keeping things that really aren’t worth it. I give him until a certain date and then I take care of it (translation: throw it out)

I took my winter coat to the cleaners. It’ll feel so good to put it in the closet and not have to look at it for months.

Heather – I didn’t even know that Prince Philip died!

Katla – heaven forbid charles become king!!! Well, that’s how I feel anyway.

Barbara – when I get a craving for something sweet, believe it or not, what I find squelches the craving is if I take a tsp or so of vinegar.

Played mahjongg online. I really like it online, I can get up and do something while watching my tablet to see what’s happening. Plus, I don’t have to drive somewhere so there’s more time to play. Well, the gal whose house we used to go to wants to have it in person now at another gal’s house. I think I’ll just wait to see what happens. There will be times when this one gal won’t be able to make it since she has a place in the mountains. What I can’t understand is why (since there are 5 of us) someone just doesn’t need to play one week.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

A friend has recommended buckwheat flour. Have any of you used it? What do you think of it?

Katla in NW Oregon

I love buckwheat flour. Despite the name, it is gluten free. I mix just a tablespoon or two into my pancake batter now and then, and it is delicious. In my experience, a little bit goes a long way, and it does make the baked good heavier. But so good!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 I like almost all of your activities, except, not really yoga. And I've never tried snowshoeing yet (cuz I'm not a fan of the cold.)
    As for swimming, practice makes perfect?? Thru lots & lots of hours at the local pool, I taught myself how to swim properly once i had decided i was going to do a Sprint Triathlon (wow, that's already 11yrs ago! My how time flies! And pounds ADD!!😂😬)
    I've also been known to jog in place for half hour or more while reading, on days i don't get to a gym.
    Have you ever done any events?

As a cyclist, I started cycling recreationally and then got into racing for 3 years, and then moved into long distance cycling - audax/randonneuring and ultra-cycling. I also tour on the side.

So yes, I've done a lot of cycling events! Numerous races, and then when I got into the long distance cycling, I have done a couple long distance races (24-hour races) and heaps and heaps of audax/randonneuring events over the 20 years I've been involved with that style of cycling. Just last weekend my husband and I did another event - one of the shorter ones.

As a runner, I raced when I was a teenager, and got into running slightly longer distances in my early 20s, and then basically dropped it except for occasional runs in the winter when the roads were too icy to cycle.

And then, at the age of 50, I started running again and ran a 10K event! I've done another 10K event and a half-marathon. I've been inconsistent with my running since the half marathon but am about to sign up for a 5K.

When I was bodybuilding in my early 20s my coach thought I should train for bodybuilding events, but I was too shy.

I haven't really had much of a chance to swim but I would actually like to take lessons. I've been less than impressed with the pools here in Tasmania. I think the expectation is that people will swim in the bays. But there is a push to improve the indoor pools because it is quite cool here most of the year and to swim in the bays most people need wetsuits. Mine is too small for me now and I'm not inclined to get another one just yet.

And the rest have been recreational exercise. :)

I did the yoga when I was really into the ultradistance cycling because it helped me stretch. I'd like to do it again, but haven't had the time. However, I have gotten into pilates more recently.

A quick background, I am Canadian and met my Australian husband on a 1200 km randonnee in France - the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. 1200 km to be completed within 90 hours including all breaks. We were both into the ultradistance cycling! We cycled another 1200 in Australia the next year, and a third in the US the next year when we decided to become a couple. We were married in 2008 in Canada, he returned to Australia 10 days after the wedding and I joined him in 2009.

The area where he lived had been wiped out by a bushfire 3 months before I came, including the house we were meant to live in, and he narrowly escaped with his life. We spent my first year in Australia in a small shack at the back of the property where he worked, completely off the grid. Somehow that shack survived the fire but the fire had burned all around it. Unfortunately, I developed DVT on my flight over and ended up in hospital for a couple weeks. The combination of all of that produced a slump in our energy and cycling. However, when we were able to move into town, things started to pick up again.

In 2012, we did an 8 month, mostly cycling tour around the world ... and in 2013 ended up in Tasmania where we got much more involved in the long distance cycling. I lost weight, got fit, and we started doing longer and longer events again.

In 2018, we were training for another 1200 km event in France again! In early March we had completed a 300 km quite comfortably in 18 hours and were getting ready for a 360 km later in March when my husband had a workplace accident which resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. He was in a coma for 3 weeks with all sorts of complications, and in hospital for a total of 100 days. 3 years later, he is still under rehabilitation care, but I'm told he will never fully recover and this is probably as good as he'll get. It is better than we originally thought it might be, but definitely not the life we thought we would be living.

I've gained some weight and my fitness level has dropped off in the past 3 years. However, he and I have been going to physio-led pilates and have been working on the cycling. This year, we are attempting to ride one 50 km event in each month. We have done 4 so far!!

As a result of the brain injury he has numerous lingering physical effects in addition to the cognitive and memory issues. Like with a stroke, his left leg doesn't work very well, and walking can be challenging, but with the cycling it kind of comes along for the ride.

He also gets fatigued very easily so when we do these 50 km rides, there is a lot of planning. We do them at his best time of the day (early morning), and ensure that he can take a nap right after.

In the year after his accident, we set up a home gym. We had bicycles on trainers, but we set them up with Zwift, a virtual cycling program. We got a treadmill and rowing machine and set up a weight bench. We used to go to the gym, but it would be too overwhelming for him now and even for me, I find it easier to have the equipment at home. Now I just need to use it more this coming winter!!

:)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have been a caregiver for 3 years and will be a caregiver for the rest of my husband's life or until I cannot do it anymore. I never imagined myself in this role ... never imagined I'd be a caregiver, yet, here we are.

I am hoping that if I ever need care ... someone will be there.

76h9s3ehepp0.png

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    kbwtr9o6ja4o.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    fh2hxjt2roq5.png

Zwift!

Distance: 10.73km
    Elevation: 28m
    Moving Time: 31:21
    Elapsed Time: 31:21
    Calories: 110

........................ Avg .............. Max
    Speed ............ 20.5km/h ....... 42.1km/h
    Heart Rate ..... 133bpm ......... 152bpm
    Cadence ........ 71 .................. 99
    Power ............ 62W ............... 95W

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Headed to farm after work today. Stopping at flea market on the way. Have I mentioned before that shopping isn't my thing? Husband wants to stop. Who knows, maybe we will find a bed for our room at the farmhouse.
    Prices are going up. Whole goods hard to get. My showroom looks like I am going out of business. We have been taking in 100 mowers a week for service and selling lots, so good year, but this is another strange year.
    Gotta finish some invoices, get ready for work, and pack for farm.
    Have a lovely day!
    😍
    Kylia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well i slept off and on all night ,woke up and have to keep clearing my throat... darn congestive heart failure.
    Got the mealworms out for the birds first though..
    You were talking about not making money.. well thats been me for over a year..
    I try not to worry. But I do.. i get by on the bills,i do use a credit card,I have 3-4 of them but just use one and i pay way more the minimum monthly..i dont buy anything i really dont need anymore. I am waiting to hear about SSD.social security disability. And whats been getting me through is the alimony..
    Tom will retire a year from august and has already told me he wont be able to afford to pay me what he is paying me now.. well after I get Alfie back we are going to have a chat.
    The divorce decree is a legal and binding document andhe should have thought about the alimony and started saving now..
    If he wants to buy me out then he will have to pay up .. he has to pay me through until my 68th birthday .. we get along now,but we shall see money changes everything.
    Bought myself decaf tea,having my first cup and tastes great.. watching cooking shows...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    fh2hxjt2roq5.png

Zwift!

Distance: 10.73km
    Elevation: 28m
    Moving Time: 31:21
    Elapsed Time: 31:21
    Calories: 110

........................ Avg .............. Max
    Speed ............ 20.5km/h ....... 42.1km/h
    Heart Rate ..... 133bpm ......... 152bpm
    Cadence ........ 71 .................. 99
    Power ............ 62W ............... 95W

Machka in Oz

>>>

This is near where I live!

Karen in Virginia

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Hot diggity dog ,the landscaping crew blew out the leaves on my patio.i got the first round,but there blowers are more powerful than mine..