M&Ms and salad

Options
124»

Replies

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The Ambrosia salads were a staple of huge family reunions when i was a child. They threw shredded coconut, marshmallows, fruit cocktail, chopped apples, mayo, whipped cream etc in it. My siblings and I all fought over who could get the cherries out of it. I'd probably still eat it if I were at a gathering, but will never make at home for myself. There was also some kind of a dish that was green-that had pistachios, cottage cheese, something that made it sweet like cool whip or other? 1950's style food.....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    The Ambrosia salads were a staple of huge family reunions when i was a child. They threw shredded coconut, marshmallows, fruit cocktail, chopped apples, mayo, whipped cream etc in it. My siblings and I all fought over who could get the cherries out of it. I'd probably still eat it if I were at a gathering, but will never make at home for myself. There was also some kind of a dish that was green-that had pistachios, cottage cheese, something that made it sweet like cool whip or other? 1950's style food.....

May be 1950s style, but people still make/eat/like them. My BIL's sister brings one of those fruit salads to every holiday meal. A friend brought the green cottage cheese thing to a potluck I was at awhile back. There's an orange variation, too; I forget exactly what's in it, maybe orange jello and canned mandarin orange segments, plus the cottage cheese?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

May be 1950s style, but people still make/eat/like them. My BIL's sister brings one of those fruit salads to every holiday meal. A friend brought the green cottage cheese thing to a potluck I was at awhile back. There's an orange variation, too; I forget exactly what's in it, maybe orange jello and canned mandarin orange segments, plus the cottage cheese?

Heh, I was going to say they were popular through the '80s (staple of my '70s/'80s childhood, I do not miss), but I guess I just moved.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

At our family gatherings, we have a green salad that has cool whip, crushed pineapple, pistachio pudding mix and mini marshmallows. No cottage cheese though. It’s really good!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    You guys can dis ambrosia all you want. I don't know if it's quite the food of the gods but I will certainly eat your portion 👍
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Heh, I was going to say they were popular through the '80s (staple of my '70s/'80s childhood, I do not miss), but I guess I just moved.

Well, I think there are some . . . age and social class . . . issues in this picture, too, often.

It's a super far digression from the M&Ms salads, but the thing I really associate with the 1950s-early 1960s (my early childhood, but old enough to recall) are those suburban-matron pseudo-aspics that people used to make with gelatin, to be kind of "fancy", often lemon or lime Jello with vegetables and meats or seafood. (Example: Jellied salad nicoise, with tuna, hard boiled eggs, optionally anchovies, olives, other veggies, mayo, in lemon Jello. Yes, that's a real example. I do suspect lemon/lime Jello back in the day was slightly less sweet than now, and less violently colored, but I have no way to know for sure. These salads were simultaneously pretty awful, but not as bad as one might imagine, if that's possible.)
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Well, I think there are some . . . age and social class . . . issues in this picture, too, often.

It's a super far digression from the M&Ms salads, but the thing I really associate with the 1950s-early 1960s (my early childhood, but old enough to recall) are those suburban-matron pseudo-aspics that people used to make with gelatin, to be kind of "fancy", often lemon or lime Jello with vegetables and meats or seafood. (Example: Jellied salad nicoise, with tuna, hard boiled eggs, optionally anchovies, olives, other veggies, mayo, in lemon Jello. Yes, that's a real example. I do suspect lemon/lime Jello back in the day was slightly less sweet than now, and less violently colored, but I have no way to know for sure. These salads were simultaneously pretty awful, but not as bad as one might imagine, if that's possible.)

I only know those from reading, as I think they'd fallen out of favor by the time I was a kid.

One fun Top Chef challenge they sometimes do is recreating old dinner party or potluck staples. Often the contestants have no clue about the dish bc they are too young or (frequently) from an immigrant background.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options

At our family gatherings, we have a green salad that has cool whip, crushed pineapple, pistachio pudding mix and mini marshmallows. No cottage cheese though. It’s really good!

That does sound really good!
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options

I have to say that my family always made this, and I avoided it like the plague... The texture/look totally freaked me out. I finally tried it last year, I love it! I don't think we ever had marshmallows on it, though.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    For some reason (I think some NYTimes recipe about fancy egg salad) I decided I needed to make egg salad, and then realized I have little potatoes I need to use up so am also making a Bavarian style potato salad.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

I have to say that my family always made this, and I avoided it like the plague... The texture/look totally freaked me out. I finally tried it last year, I love it! I don't think we ever had marshmallows on it, though.

Oh yeh, the Pistachio Salad and the Orange Salad were my favorites for years. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    For some reason (I think some NYTimes recipe about fancy egg salad) I decided I needed to make egg salad, and then realized I have little potatoes I need to use up so am also making a Bavarian style potato salad.

Sounds great! I would what time is dinner, but it's breakfast time here now! 😂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

My family made this too! We usually had chopped pecans as well. I don't know what the actual name is, but we called it "Pistachio Salad" (yeah, we're a creative lot).
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Sounds great! I would what time is dinner, but it's breakfast time here now! 😂

They turned out great, and I have leftovers. Had the egg salad with some smoked salmon for brunch and then the potato salad with green beans and a little steak for dinner. Neither is the kind of thing I make much, but maybe I'll make them more.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

My wife and daughter make a version of this every Thanksgiving. It has cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, cool whip, chopped walnuts and condensed milk... they call it the 'Pink Stuff' and her side of the family usually eats every bit of it that we make. I personally think it's way too sweet and can't stand it.