WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,470 Member
    Options
    Today my arm is a wee bit achy, but its just like the flu shot felt like. No biggie.
    Dressed in my size 3X stretch pants, and long sleeved shirt, waiting until we go to the gym. I should do some weights, the treadmill, and I hope my pants stay up. I should have gotten a 2X ah well.
    Hugs!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Annie: I’m happy that your mom decided to trust you about the week old roast. :heart:

Rebecca: I love the planting a garden message from Audrey Hepburn. My garden is small but well loved. Marauding deer, not so much. I haven’t seen them yet this year. :flowerforyou:

Terri: Congrats on getting your second jabs! You are lucky to be able to meet with your daughters and grandsons. :star:

Nicole Pulver: Best advice—measure portions, count calories & move more. Let MFP set your calorie goals. As you lose weight the amount of your portions will get smaller. Stop in here regularly for friendship and support. :smiley:

Lisa: Regarding the weather girl—change channels and complain to the station about inappropriate clothing. :grumble: You may be cranky but you’re quite a bit younger than me. I don’t think you’re an old woman yet. :wink:

Heather: Thank you for your sympathy. We have both been vaccinated twice with the Pfizer vaccine. The vaccine will not give us confidence for a multiple thousand-mile road trip. A couple of years ago I went to visit my daughter & DH stayed home. DH has multiple health issues and doesn’t want to fly anywhere. The kids would like us to drive our RV but that isn’t likely at this time. Every time we go somewhere in it, we have to have it repaired. :ohwell: My solution is to buy airline tickets for the kids so they can come here. We may be able to do things that way. Here’s hoping! :heart:

Gwen from MO: Welcome! :star:

Machka: I hope you are able to stay safe in the wind. :star:

Kathleen MVP: Welcome! Best advice—let MFP set your starting calorie goals. As time goes along, your allowed calories will be reduced. Move more-choose activities that you can do now. Walking is a good beginning. Stop by here often to give and get encouragement. :flowerforyou:

We have a beautiful morning. I hope to get some exercise with DH. Perhaps I can convince him to go for a meander in the neighborhood. He can ride his mobility scooter and I can walk beside him with the dog. Yesterday we were treated with wonderful birdwatching from our own window—two Bald Eagles and two Osprey were the main show. Our lovely little hummingbirds are always here. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,244 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The tent that I bought yesterday for Max's birthday has gone up by £20 overnight. :o !!!!!!!!!!!
    Luckily I got it at the old price. I might have thought twice had it been the current price!
    Lucky me! :D
    It's being delivered tomorrow.

Expecting the painter any minute. He is such a nice guy. A one man band.

Barbara - I decided on falafel and humus. Flat bread, salad, yoghurt etc. I made a quick coleslaw just now with a few left over bits. I'm very happy because it's one of my favourite meals, but DH isn't as keen on it as me. He will eat it, but it's not his favourite thing.
    When we got back from our very long walk with Bea, I said, it's takeaway fish and chips tonight, or it's the above. That's what he chose, so win for me. :D
    When I was buying all the spices etc in the Mediterranean shop, the owner asked me if my husband was Egyptian. :p
    I spent a happy half hour decanting all my new spices. I also had a delivery of spices from Amazon. One decluttering job I need to do is sorting out my spice cupboards. It's hard to find stuff and remember what I've got.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Weird rant for the evening, upon watching the meteorologist who is dressed in a skin tight, white dress that literally showed the contours of her belly button, and if she had turned far enough, probably shown the brand on her underwear:

If you are announcing the weather or the news, I do NOT want to know that you are anatomically correct. I really don't. I don't care whether you are a man or a woman or of a differing gender. I just turned to your channel to find out how long I can expect the thunder-boomers outside, and if there are damaging winds accompanying it. Your belly button is not germane to this discussion.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

I think there is a trend to make weather women, in particular, sexy as if all the stations are competing. There is one here that the "boys" all go crazy over.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Betsy - glad it was caught early. What a pain about the lying down! :o

Beth - Hope your back eases up. These things happen so quickly. Grrrrrr!

My best friend's apartment in York has just gone live on rightmove. Looks absolutely wonderful. I hope it sells quickly and she can give up work and move. She is 72!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,180 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have a beautiful day so far. We’ve seen Osprey fishing and two Bald Eagles in flight. I feel very lucky this morning.🦅🦅
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,968 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Last Tuesday evening I kept thinking my glasses were smudged. But washing the glasses didn't help. The next morning I had my routine 6 month eye checkup and the doctor right away told me I had a detached retina and several tears. He said it was too technical an operation for him to do but he got me into an eye surgeon who does surgeries like mine everyday. Tomorrow I have my 1 week check up. I'm lucky it was caught early and the surgeon believes I will retain the sight in my right eye. Until 4/21 I have to lay on my left side and can take breaks to go to the bathroom and eat meals.
    Wishing everyone well. Love the pictures of the grandkids. Welcome new gals. Lisa, agree with your rant. :-)
    Betsy in NW WA

Hope your eye heals completely.
    I need to make an appointment with Kaiser dr for a tear in my retina- My regular eye doctor found it when checking my eyes(was complaining about floaters)
    She said it isn't really bad but wants me to have them check it- see what they want to do .

Debbie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Beth and Betsy)))
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    (((Beth and Betsy)))

Ditto this.

Karen in Virginia

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Many hopes for quick recoveries for both Beth and Betsy...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD

kymari – have you gotten the bed (frame) yet?

Kim – yes, our bedroom is big. The whole house is 5,000 sq ft.

Vince just got back from the allergist. Seems he’s allergic to almost everything. You know, a part of me wonders if the fact that he had air conditioning in his home while he was growing up had something to do with it. I’ve heard that if someone is exposed to things like pets, etc. when they’re young, they tend not to get as many allergies. I don’t think there’s anything that I’m allergic to. My air conditioning consisted of an open window! I also spent a lot of time at my aunt’s house and she lived on a farm. An onion farm, not one with animals.

Terri – lovely flower. I so love to look at other’s flowers. My gardening theory? If God means for it to live, it’ll live.

Bananas – we have wood floors, and many times I find a roomba to be a real help in getting up the crumbs. I may go around the perimeter of the room just getting the crumbs into the middle of the floor, but it’s a certainly a time saver. As I decide I don’t want something or need it, it goes into the “Salvation Army” box and then when the box gets full, donation time!

Allie – someone at Food Lion mentioned that they discontinued J&J, thanks for confirming this. I wonder if they discontinued it everywhere? The hardest part of getting our vaccine was making the appointment. Once we got that, it was very smooth sailing. The first time we didn’t wait at all to get it, just the 15 minutes afterwards. The second time I think we waited one minute before they took us. Very well organized

Gwen – jump right on in, the water’s fine!!!

Carol GA – no, we still don’t have a definite date for visiting Denise. We have talked about the possibility of staying in a hotel. We would probably go up on a Friday and leave on a Tuesday after Denise goes to work.

This gal who used to work at Dollar General said that DG has “penny Tuesdays” where certain things are only a penny. Now she said that a list of the things on sale is posted on their app, but I sure couldn’t find the most recent list. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Washed the floor in the mud room and then in the kitchen, just the high traffic area as that gets the dirtiest.

Kathleen – welcome. You’ve got the right idea, baby steps

Kim – welcome back. I do hope your husband will follow your lead

Got a little over 13,000 steps in today. I feel sorry for this one guy, whenever he’s really bored, he comes outside to get carts. I’ve seen him bring just one up to be cleaned. Today I started this thing where if I see someone in the parking lot with a large order or an elderly person, if I can I offer to help them load their groceries into the car. Helps me, if anything. Or if I see someone buying a plant, I just give them a cart. You are supposed to keep 3 of these smaller carts in the store along with 2 of the larger ones. Really, most mornings there aren’t any in the store. And I’ve seen a lot of people who don’t put them in the store. I’m going to ask if this has been discontinued. Really, it’s a pain in the lower backside, I can’t see why people can’t just take a cart from outside the building. But that’s not my decision. So I’ll see what the final decision is

Beth – feel better fast. Sending virtual chicken soup

As I recall, someone on here had the recipe for sauerkraut that only used 1T of salt. Can you please repost it? I loved it, but I made it a while ago and forget the recipe

Michele NC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Vince just got back from the allergist. Seems he’s allergic to almost everything. You know, a part of me wonders if the fact that he had air conditioning in his home while he was growing up had something to do with it. I’ve heard that if someone is exposed to things like pets, etc. when they’re young, they tend not to get as many allergies. I don’t think there’s anything that I’m allergic to. My air conditioning consisted of an open window! I also spent a lot of time at my aunt’s house and she lived on a farm. An onion farm, not one with animals.

As I recall, someone on here had the recipe for sauerkraut that only used 1T of salt. Can you please repost it? I loved it, but I made it a while ago and forget the recipe

Michele NC

I grew up in a rural area where we were outside all the time in the summer. We also had A/C. We went camping, swam in lakes and ponds, worked on my uncle and aunt's ranch (with animals and crops) and had no allergies growing up. Now, I am allergic to a bunch of things I know about and some that just seem to make me miserable. Mostly pollens.

I think our sauerkraut is 1 TBSP salt to 1 head of cabbage. Someone else posted a recipe for sauerkraut in a jar, but I don't recall the recipe.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I'm going to sleep upstairs tonight so that DH can read, or listen to podcasts if he is really wakeful and feeling miserable. I suggested he download the BBC Sounds app onto his phone, so he can revisit some of his favourite programmes. The archive goes back years. Although I've mentioned to him several times, he had no idea what I was talking about. I'm not sure how he missed all the adverts for it on TV! He's done it now. It might calm him, if he's feeling anxious, to listen to a favourite voice. I know he likes The Life Scientific with Jim Alkalili. We normally listen to it on Tuesdays when we are exercising, but I know the archive is extensive.
    I'm also going to keep the heat on for him. He got very cold last night. It was frosty out and he was awake reading his Kindle. I slept through it.

And so, to bed. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Quick drop in. Have Church council zoom at 7 and since I am president I really should show up!

Lisa-I agree with your rant on weather girl. I don't think you should wear for work the same outfit you would wear to a bar hoping to get picked up!

Julie-congrats on washing machine! We had marque floors in our kitchen for a number of years-until my husband fell into his 90 gallon aquarium and the water lifted most of them up (that is a story for another day).

Sympathies to those with spouse with issues. My husband was having memory issues for a number of reasons. While I miss him, a part of me is glad I didn't have to watch the continued deterioration.

Need to get a couple of things ready before meeting.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio