Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    throwing out conventional deadlifts. I am still weary of my back and will just use Summo DLs and SLRDL.

I need to do this. I'm just too lazy to maintain my form, or too vain to go light enough to maintain it, for heavy CDLs. But then I feel like I should be doing heavy CDLs to build up strength, even though mostly I care about hypertrophy.

Anyway, I managed to take them out of this meso, but I'm going to struggle to not put them back in the next 'cause I'll feel like I should be doing them.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    throwing out conventional deadlifts. I am still weary of my back and will just use Summo DLs and SLRDL.

I need to do this. I'm just too lazy to maintain my form, or too vain to go light enough to maintain it, for heavy CDLs. But then I feel like I should be doing heavy CDLs to build up strength, even though mostly I care about hypertrophy.

Anyway, I managed to take them out of this meso, but I'm going to struggle to not put them back in the next 'cause I'll feel like I should be doing them.

I have yet to hit legs this meso (today is day 1) but I have a feeling I will NOT miss CDLs.

Day 1 went well! Rolling into the meso with fewer sets and working in a hypertrophy range is went well today. Squats tomorrow!
  • sarehkkk
    sarehkkk Posts: 1 Member
    i want to start from next month. im in a recovery time know. and i really like bulking time :))))))))))))))
  • alexmose2

I have yet to hit legs this meso (today is day 1) but I have a feeling I will NOT miss CDLs.

Day 1 went well! Rolling into the meso with fewer sets and working in a hypertrophy range is went well today. Squats tomorrow!

Legs yesterday went well and I am SORE today. Although soreness does not indicate a good workout, it feels good to be sore. Walking and perhaps a short bike ride today for recovery. Back to upper tomorrow.

@sarahkkk I have to say i am finding bulking to be LOTS of food. Which makes me think cutting will be easy (am i speaking too soon???). :)
  • GaryRuns

Legs yesterday went well and I am SORE today. Although soreness does not indicate a good workout, it feels good to be sore. Walking and perhaps a short bike ride today for recovery. Back to upper tomorrow.

@sarahkkk I have to say i am finding bulking to be LOTS of food. Which makes me think cutting will be easy (am i speaking too soon???). :)

I did legs yesterday too. It went fairly well and I'm a little sore, but typically it takes me a good 24hrs before my soreness hits it's max value. And I did RDLs so I expect some posterior chain pain. (There's a rhyme they'll never make a children's book out of!) Today is a rest day. May do some abs just to burn off some stress.

I gained weight the previous two days which is finally pulling my weight trend up, but I forgot to weigh this morning. :#

I think cutting and bulking are both challenging and the hard part is consistency. It's hard getting used to being hungry almost all the time and it's hard shoving food in your mouth all day every day. But if it weren't challenging I'd probably get bored.
  • baileeb2001
    baileeb2001 Posts: 74 Member
    When do you all recommend doing a bulk for a beginner? I have a good training regime, but have always just focused mainly on cutting/maintenance rather than bulking. I want to try bulking, as I'm a varsity rugby player but I want to make sure I time it so I'm at peak athletic condition during my season (begins in June and usually tapers off around November). When would you all recommend entering a bulk/cut cycle?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    When do you all recommend doing a bulk for a beginner? I have a good training regime, but have always just focused mainly on cutting/maintenance rather than bulking. I want to try bulking, as I'm a varsity rugby player but I want to make sure I time it so I'm at peak athletic condition during my season (begins in June and usually tapers off around November). When would you all recommend entering a bulk/cut cycle?

At this point, with 2 months or less before the season starts, I think the focus should be on what would have the biggest impact on your rugby performance and save a bulk/cut cycle for the off-season. I know very little about rugby but I know it's pretty common for pro baseball and football players to try to start the pre-season a little bulked up with the thought of it providing resilience for a long and taxing season; moreso for baseball with the premium on power and volume/density of games that they play allowing for less recovery time from lifting heavily.

Further, 2 months isn't a huge amount of time to see big results from either a bulk or cut. Depending on where you are now and what would best support your rugby performance between being leaner or heavier, pick that path until the season starts and then maintain as your focus shifts to rugby.
  • baileeb2001
    baileeb2001 Posts: 74 Member

steveko89 wrote: »

At this point, with 2 months or less before the season starts, I think the focus should be on what would have the biggest impact on your rugby performance and save a bulk/cut cycle for the off-season. I know very little about rugby but I know it's pretty common for pro baseball and football players to try to start the pre-season a little bulked up with the thought of it providing resilience for a long and taxing season; moreso for baseball with the premium on power and volume/density of games that they play allowing for less recovery time from lifting heavily.

Further, 2 months isn't a huge amount of time to see big results from either a bulk or cut. Depending on where you are now and what would best support your rugby performance between being leaner or heavier, pick that path until the season starts and then maintain as your focus shifts to rugby.

Thanks for your advice! I'll stick to my training regime as normal then post-season I'll begin a bulk/cut cycle then.
  • alexmose2
    So, I have never done the hack squat machine before today. I put my feed close together to focus quads, and I did not need to even add weight and could barely get 5 reps with full ROM!! Anyone else feel this with the hack squat machine??
  • alexmose2
    Also, a food update: I usually eat as I please but today I went for the full allotment MFP gives me to maintain my weight at 5’3” 107lb, which is about 2150 and wow I feel chunky going to bed. I’ve been hitting around 2050ish the last couple days before but workouts this week went well. My only regret is that I had a dress fitted and will need to squeeze back into it a day after an out of country trip I have next month. Eep at water weight and the dress fitting.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm kind of bulking right now. Hubby wants my weight 120+ and I usually hover 115-118. I hit 120 today, but it might just be an uptick. I'm lifting heavy twice per week.
  • DiscipleOfChrist29
    DiscipleOfChrist29 Posts: 84 Member
    Yes. It's at the end though. Time to shred now. 1500 calories a day for me.... ughhh
  • GaryRuns
    So, I have never done the hack squat machine before today. I put my feed close together to focus quads, and I did not need to even add weight and could barely get 5 reps with full ROM!! Anyone else feel this with the hack squat machine??

I do reverse hacks and honestly I have trouble connecting with them from a mind-muscle connection perspective. But I'm stubborn and continue to try. I certainly can get deep with them.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Can I hop on the bulk train?
    Gyms have reopened here and I managed to lose a few pounds.
  • alexmose2
    Good workout week. Admittedly, I ate a bit more than usual this week, in the form of bananas and greek yogurt so not a total loss!!
  • RJSDFGS
    RJSDFGS Posts: 2 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So I mentioned this in the other thread but I am now cutting. My bulk got a little out of hand but I am determined to get back on it. It happens! And I have no regrets, I think my body needed the longer duration spent in surplus and perhaps even the added body fat. I am cutting down gradually, adding a bit of cardio for health (and stress release) plus of course lifting 3-4x per week.
    Hope everyone is finding success on their gaining journeys. :)

How do you find balancing your macro split and ensuring you don't go over your daily calories when cutting? What is your plan of attack for the nutrition side?
    Training is the easy part for me, it's the nutrition that seem's the hardest part to keep spot on.
  • alexmose2
    Sadly, I need to lower weights on my RDLs and Summos....my sciatica is acting up, i can feel strain in the back of my neck and the numbness on the top of my foot. anyone else experience this? what helped you?
  • gregoryrosen
    gregoryrosen Posts: 9 Member
    Have sciatica as well
    Need to stay on top of stretching not only once youre in pain, but more importantly beforehand/daily
    The Weather affects mine the most
    The rain and cold get me good lol
  • GaryRuns
    edited May 2021
    I've gotten used to eating 3,000 calories per day now and the gain train has been chugging along. Unfortunately my kiddo's high-school graduation and relatives visiting from out of town has caused my little engine, gaining about 0.5lb/week, to go full on locomotive, gaining1lb/week. Ugh. I'll have about 3 weeks to "bulk" if that trend continues! :D

Anyway, after four days my weight this morning was finally below my trend. Just in time for another weekend where eating will be a major focus. :#

On the plus side I've definitely noticed improvements in size in my biceps, which was a major focus this meso. My back was the other area I've focused on but it's harder for me to see progress back there. I've increased the weight on my back lifts though so something is going on back there!
  • gmcurtis
    gmcurtis Posts: 24 Member
    Hi! I hope it’s ok to ask for advice here! :) I want to try bulking for the first time. I’ve been strength training over the last two years (some home, some gym) and have definitely gotten stronger and can lift pretty heavy but always with a focus on fat loss. I definitely have a bit of a fear of weight gain since I have focused so long on loss. Right now I’ve committed to 4 more weeks of fat loss, then I was thinking a few weeks of maintenance (because I don’t love the idea of gaining weight in the summer, especially after all my hard work!), and mid-July to mid-October adding 100-200 calories to maintenance to do a lean bulk, then cut till Christmas. I think that’s a bit of a short time frame for bulking, but maybe ok for a first-timer? I’m kind of trying to plan it around when I have visitors in town because the extra calories would be useful! Oh, and I am 34f, 136lbs, 5’5” and I *think* a low 20’s bf percentage. I have calipers but need to get help to get a more accurate reading.