Failure is a GIFt

Options

Replies

• stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    5ofseven wrote: »
    Some days I lift like a beast other days I do crap like this 😂😂 maybe I’ll show you guys the second half of this gif one day.... the part where I forgot how to think and laid back flat Bc I couldn’t figure out how to get out of the SSB 😂

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148867a2665b795364219803b40fef29b0eb72f838f2f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

That worried face :'(

I think I saw a smile at the end of it.......

I think part of the reason I enjoy these gifs is those types of reactions.

My mind knows that failure is part of process and that it is needed to get to the best outcome/goal I can but my mind's first reaction is to be critical of myself.

I like how others seem to be able to better embrace the failure as part of the process whereas my brain seems to hate that it is part of the process. I want to get my brain to embrace the failure in a healthier way. Wow that may have been a bit much for chit chat, lol.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    stljam wrote: »
    Some days I lift like a beast other days I do crap like this 😂😂 maybe I’ll show you guys the second half of this gif one day.... the part where I forgot how to think and laid back flat Bc I couldn’t figure out how to get out of the SSB 😂

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148867a2665b795364219803b40fef29b0eb72f838f2f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

My mind knows that failure is part of process and that it is needed to get to the best outcome/goal I can but my mind's first reaction is to be critical of myself.

I like how others seem to be able to better embrace the failure as part of the process whereas my brain seems to hate that it is part of the process. I want to get my brain to embrace the failure in a healthier way. Wow that may have been a bit much for chit chat, lol.

Not too much. I have struggled with this a long time. I am not afraid to admit that the last time I was lifting (last year around this time), I hit a point where I failed my stronglifts (squats) two sessions in a row, and then the next time deloaded and failed those too. My mind became my enemy and I started finding reasons why I wasn't able to workout, and I legit STOPPED LIFTING ENTIRELY. (I didn't pick the bar back up until November). I could not handle the way I felt when I failed those lifts and so I ran away from lifting. I am constantly worried my pride is going to make me do this again, and I'm sometimes scared of those heavy lifts. Right now, I am working through a fear in the back of my head that I'm one fail away from derailing, and that scares me. I constantly feel like I am slacking, like I'm losing ground... and yet when I look at my lifts and I look at these two threads... I can see that I'm not.

Our minds are our best friends and our worst enemies. Seeing these fails, seeing my own, and hearing how others handle it... it normalizes it a bit for me.

My last lift session I legit threw a tantrum during deadlifts. I was wearing shorts and the bar was sticking to my leg on the way up, when I tried to set up, my uneven floor would cause the bar to roll away, and the weight (which I had lifted before) felt 100x heavier. I bailed after 3 lifts, cussed and swore, and bare fist beat on my heavy bag.

I didn't share that one here. :flushed:

I don't handle failure well... but I am trying to get better. :)
  • stljam
    Options
    I constantly feel like I am slacking, like I'm losing ground... and yet when I look at my lifts and I look at these two threads... I can see that I'm not.

Our minds are our best friends and our worst enemies. Seeing these fails, seeing my own, and hearing how others handle it... it normalizes it a bit for me.

My last lift session I legit threw a tantrum during deadlifts. I was wearing shorts and the bar was sticking to my leg on the way up, when I tried to set up, my uneven floor would cause the bar to roll away, and the weight (which I had lifted before) felt 100x heavier. I bailed after 3 lifts, cussed and swore, and bare fist beat on my heavy bag.

I don't handle failure well... but I am trying to get better. :)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tdnfh20mj930gpvq36lhuqcxjks2x1sr6uehpmwg&rid=giphy.gif

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I think the key is to change your mindset, like you aren’t truly pushing yourself to your limits if you aren’t failing. So failing is actually an indicator of effort, where most people would assume failing means you aren’t strong enough the opposite is actually true. You are strong enough to push yourself past where your body feels comfortable and that’s what it takes to advance to the next level 😁 IDK that’s how I view it anyway, makes me feel pride in most of my fails, but def still the occasional meltdown especially when I have a deadline and numbers to hit.
  • stljam
    Options
    I think the key is to change your mindset, like you aren’t truly pushing yourself to your limits if you aren’t failing. So failing is actually an indicator of effort, where most people would assume failing means you aren’t strong enough the opposite is actually true. You are strong enough to push yourself past where your body feels comfortable and that’s what it takes to advance to the next level 😁 IDK that’s how I view it anyway, makes me feel pride in most of my fails, but def still the occasional meltdown especially when I have a deadline and numbers to hit.

My mind gets this conceptually. It's just being stubborn in changing it's default setting to this concept. Thinking about it, reading yours and others thoughts on it, seeing the gifs all help (hopefully) in my changing of that default. Thanks for assisting me in my process improvement.
  • jennacole12
    Options

My mind gets this conceptually. It's just being stubborn in changing it's default setting to this concept. Thinking about it, reading yours and others thoughts on it, seeing the gifs all help (hopefully) in my changing of that default. Thanks for assisting me in my process improvement.

My coach had me knowingly push to failure every week..... different lifts Bc each muscle group benefits from failure but try that!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

If my fails help someone else, I'll totally share them. Now I'm wishing I'd kept my tantrum vid. haha.

Ok, but I am also glad I didn't. LOL

• strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

There's HUGE gains in going down with more than you can take back up. There's a term for it that I can't think of right off hand, but you'll get to higher weights a lot faster by having assistance going up then taking it down on your own with a weight higher than you can lift versus just repeatedly lifting your max. Keep failing forward!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    First time attempting 105lb for bench. Got the first set of 5 (last rep was a grind), but the rest of the sets fell short. That said... It was still a good effort and got me a fail to share. Lol

pxf1kuhokz8a.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Actually I'm going to rephrase that. I planned on a PR of 5x5 @105lb.

Instead I got a PR of 5, 4,4,4,4,4 @105lb.

I may not have hit 5 reps... But I still pushed 25 reps at 105 and THAT was no where near a fail!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    First time attempting 105lb for bench. Got the first set of 5 (last rep was a grind), but the rest of the sets fell short. That said... It was still a good effort and got me a fail to share. Lol

pxf1kuhokz8a.gif

That last rep gave me anxiety, your safety bars look so low compared to your body and was afraid you wouldn't make it out
    Options
    Actually I'm going to rephrase that. I planned on a PR of 5x5 @105lb.

Instead I got a PR of 5, 4,4,4,4,4 @105lb.

I may not have hit 5 reps... But I still pushed 25 reps at 105 and THAT was no where near a fail!

That is indeed the better way of thinking Sandy
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

pxf1kuhokz8a.gif

That last rep gave me anxiety, your safety bars look so low compared to your body and was afraid you wouldn't make it out

Haha yes, the safeties were lower than normal, but I tested it to make sure I wouldnt hit my face. 😊 If I put the safeties up one level, sometimes if I'm not quite positioned right, the bar taps them at the bottom.... and that throws me off.

Sorry for the anxiety! 😁

And thank you for the encouragement!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Today's submission looka like a Chris Farley bit. A turtle who is stuck. 70s were great. Couldn't get the 80s up.

cn6bfk5q4ewx.gif

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    Today's submission looka like a Chris Farley bit. A turtle who is stuck. 70s were great. Couldn't get the 80s up.

cn6bfk5q4ewx.gif

I love the look around to see if anyone saw! 😁
  • jennacole12
    Options

cn6bfk5q4ewx.gif

Cracking up 🤣🤣🤣
    Options

cn6bfk5q4ewx.gif

I applaud your effort in trying sir!
    Next time...next time you get it
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,105 Member
    Options

cn6bfk5q4ewx.gif

I absolutely love this gif. 😂

• DarkWarrior91
    DarkWarrior91 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I don't want to get drawn out to a long, rediculous discussion, so I'll be brief: I Disagree.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get drawn out to a long, rediculous discussion, so I'll be brief: I Disagree.

To what?