I feel the body becomes efficient at eating when you feed it a lot of calories

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    So all I have to do is eat more to lose weight? Sounds doable and fun.

As long as you stick to the same foods ie pizza and burgers.

I think that is what OP is claiming.

Doesn't make sense OP - although I do agree after a point you would stop gaining weight. The calorie amount that I would gain on at, say, 120 pounds won't be the same calorie amount that I would gain on at 300 pounds.

So if I started at 120 and kept eating same amount I might reach 300 and then maintain on that amount.

But the point is calorie amount,not whether it is same foods.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    You can believe whatever you want, but this doesn't mean it represents reality.

I believe I am independently wealth..... Crap... still broke.....

Well, an analogy is the more money you make, the more taxes you're supposed to pay. So it gets harder to get wealthier.

What?!? I think this explains a lit. Are there countries that don’t have a stepwise approach to taxing and earning more leaves you with less?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You can believe whatever you want, but this doesn't mean it represents reality.

I believe I am independently wealth..... Crap... still broke.....

Well, an analogy is the more money you make, the more taxes you're supposed to pay. So it gets harder to get wealthier.

What?!? I think this explains a lit. Are there countries that don’t have a stepwise approach to taxing and earning more leaves you with less?

Not if you're fed ex, Nike, or 53 other companies.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    OP--reread your posts. It's full of "people say", "everyone is talking about", etc. WHERE are you getting all this information (to put it kindly)? Forget it all, and plug your stats into MFP to get your daily calorie goal. Get a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. Stay within your goal everyday. Exercise instead of looking up info on social media. You'll be glad you did.

Insightful times 1,000!!!!!!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    Hmm how do people get to be 800 pounds then? And how do people starve to death?

Actually, how hyper-obese people get that way is a more complicated question than you would think, and a field of study that's frustratingly complex.

We don't entirely know why one person gets to 800 pounds. There are usually obvious behaviors like diet patterns, a lack of exercise, depression/anxiety, a family history of obesity and so on. But we don't entirely understand the specific mechanics that make one person only very obese versus so obese they can't get out of bed.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    vanmep wrote: »
    Hmm how do people get to be 800 pounds then? And how do people starve to death?

Actually, how hyper-obese people get that way is a more complicated question than you would think, and a field of study that's frustratingly complex.

We don't entirely know why one person gets to 800 pounds. There are usually obvious behaviors like diet patterns, a lack of exercise, depression/anxiety, a family history of obesity and so on. But we don't entirely understand the specific mechanics that make one person only very obese versus so obese they can't get out of bed.

This is just based on my impression, so I could be very wrong, but honestly, it has always surprised me that the people who gain this much weight do so and don't die along the way due to the extra stress on their vital organs. I know many of them have medical problems, some of them serious, but I felt so fatigued and worn out in the 200s. I don't think my body could have handled being twice or three times that - I think I likely would have died first.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    If my bank account becomes efficient, I’m golden. Booking my trip to Bali.

Can I come. I will fetch the Singapore Slings and towels for you..

Been years since I had a Singapore Sling..... I remember them being pretty good. From what I can remember. :)

I got lost after the first couple posts on this thread. Some days I can only come up with WTH?
  • FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

You may think it sounds crazy but this actually did happen to me.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.

And what evidence does she cite to support this claim?

Well, I admit Jillian Michals confuses me a little. Here in the video, she says that cardio isn't efficient for weight loss, but is only good for extreme weight loss. In other videos, I've seen Jillian say cardio is how you lose weight fast, but then in others, she says it's not efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY-PtsNkrvY

Here at the 2-minute mark, Jillian says ''When we do the same thing over and over, your body adapts to the stress and we no longer progress. You gotta constantly change the stimulus.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTiEDc-Bf74
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.

My primary form of cardiovascular exercise is cycling and has been for pushing a decade now. I don't burn fewer and fewer calories just because my body gets used to cycling. Outside of a lab, cycling with a power meter is about as accurate as you can get in regards to work and calories expended. If anything, the more I cycle, the more calories I burn...because the more I cycle, the stronger I get and the stronger I get, the more power (watts) I can put out. That power is what dictates my energy expenditure.

Yep, I've been running for several years now. It's my primary activity. Since I eat back the calories burnt through running, I'd know pretty quickly if it wasn't burning any calories because I'd be gaining at least one pound a week.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

My primary form of cardiovascular exercise is cycling and has been for pushing a decade now. I don't burn fewer and fewer calories just because my body gets used to cycling. Outside of a lab, cycling with a power meter is about as accurate as you can get in regards to work and calories expended. If anything, the more I cycle, the more calories I burn...because the more I cycle, the stronger I get and the stronger I get, the more power (watts) I can put out. That power is what dictates my energy expenditure.

There may be a bit of truth in the idea of your body "getting used to it" as one does the activity more, especially if skill is involved in the activity. Take swimming as an example All other things consistent, if I suck at swimming my stroke will be much less efficient and I will burn more calories flaying around to cover the distance than if I was an excellent swimmer covering the same distance in the same time. ,

Now what usually happens is the person covers the distance faster and/or does more distance as they "get used to it".
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

There may be a bit of truth in the idea of your body "getting used to it" as one does the activity more, especially if skill is involved in the activity. Take swimming as an example All other things consistent, if I suck at swimming my stroke will be much less efficient and I will burn more calories flaying around to cover the distance than if I was an excellent swimmer covering the same distance in the same time. ,

Now what usually happens is the person covers the distance faster and/or does more distance as they "get used to it".

In the specific sense of the claims being made by OP and Jillian Michaels, I don't think they're talking about differences in form. It seems more like an actual claim that your body will get "used" to activity -- regardless of form differences -- and that your body will stop burning calories as a result.

When you lay it out like that, it's really such a weird claim! I feel like building efficiency is going to save really only a few calories max, even when you're doing some kind of activity for hours and hours. The perception of difficulty changes, sure, but that's probably more a psychological thing that anything. It *feels* stressful and hard because you don't know what's going on.

If being stressed out made me burn more calories, I would never have gained weight. :D