Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

You may think it sounds crazy but this actually did happen to me.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.

My primary form of cardiovascular exercise is cycling and has been for pushing a decade now. I don't burn fewer and fewer calories just because my body gets used to cycling. Outside of a lab, cycling with a power meter is about as accurate as you can get in regards to work and calories expended. If anything, the more I cycle, the more calories I burn...because the more I cycle, the stronger I get and the stronger I get, the more power (watts) I can put out. That power is what dictates my energy expenditure.

There may be a bit of truth in the idea of your body "getting used to it" as one does the activity more, especially if skill is involved in the activity. Take swimming as an example All other things consistent, if I suck at swimming my stroke will be much less efficient and I will burn more calories flaying around to cover the distance than if I was an excellent swimmer covering the same distance in the same time. ,

Now what usually happens is the person covers the distance faster and/or does more distance as they "get used to it".

For most common exercise activities, I think worrying about that efficiency difference - as it affects calorie burn - is *seriously* majoring in the minors.

But sure, as one gets technically better at a thing ("more efficient"), more of the effort gets funneled into useful movement (so increases speed or other objective measures of intensity, at the same calorie expenditure) vs. being wasted in kind of flopping about randomly while doing the activity. Most commonly-practiced fitness activities are not super technical; I admit I don't have data to support my supposition, but IMO it's generally going to be a fairly small fraction of the total calories that is "lost" when one becomes more efficient. And, as you say, as a practical matter, people tend toward more intensity gradually as they get fitter, such as running faster.

How efficiency and adaptation affects fitness progress is a whole different issue, and there IMO it's much more realistic to believe that a change in stimulus is needed in order to keep making fitness progress (progress in strength, speed, CV capability, whatever).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.

My primary form of cardiovascular exercise is cycling and has been for pushing a decade now. I don't burn fewer and fewer calories just because my body gets used to cycling. Outside of a lab, cycling with a power meter is about as accurate as you can get in regards to work and calories expended. If anything, the more I cycle, the more calories I burn...because the more I cycle, the stronger I get and the stronger I get, the more power (watts) I can put out. That power is what dictates my energy expenditure.

There may be a bit of truth in the idea of your body "getting used to it" as one does the activity more, especially if skill is involved in the activity. Take swimming as an example All other things consistent, if I suck at swimming my stroke will be much less efficient and I will burn more calories flaying around to cover the distance than if I was an excellent swimmer covering the same distance in the same time. ,

Now what usually happens is the person covers the distance faster and/or does more distance as they "get used to it".

In the specific sense of the claims being made by OP and Jillian Michaels, I don't think they're talking about differences in form. It seems more like an actual claim that your body will get "used" to activity -- regardless of form differences -- and that your body will stop burning calories as a result.

When you lay it out like that, it's really such a weird claim! I feel like building efficiency is going to save really only a few calories max, even when you're doing some kind of activity for hours and hours. The perception of difficulty changes, sure, but that's probably more a psychological thing that anything. It *feels* stressful and hard because you don't know what's going on.

If being stressed out made me burn more calories, I would never have gained weight. :D

Haha, no kidding!

I think part of it is that exercise can feel SO HARD when we're not yet in shape. As it becomes easier as we build fitness, it seems like "common sense" that we aren't burning as many calories. I just don't think it's supported by any evidence . . . like you said, any differences would be small enough to not be a factor for most people. That's why we don't adjust calorie burn for fitness level.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

In the specific sense of the claims being made by OP and Jillian Michaels, I don't think they're talking about differences in form. It seems more like an actual claim that your body will get "used" to activity -- regardless of form differences -- and that your body will stop burning calories as a result.

When you lay it out like that, it's really such a weird claim! I feel like building efficiency is going to save really only a few calories max, even when you're doing some kind of activity for hours and hours. The perception of difficulty changes, sure, but that's probably more a psychological thing that anything. It *feels* stressful and hard because you don't know what's going on.

If being stressed out made me burn more calories, I would never have gained weight. :D

Haha, no kidding!

I think part of it is that exercise can feel SO HARD when we're not yet in shape. As it becomes easier as we build fitness, it seems like "common sense" that we aren't burning as many calories. I just don't think it's supported by any evidence . . . like you said, any differences would be small enough to not be a factor for most people. That's why we don't adjust calorie burn for fitness level.

Sometimes it's also supported by the "evidence" from a heart rate monitor saying fewer calories were burned, misinterpreted by people who assume that HRMs are infallible oracles, rather than being the indirect estimators of calorie expenditure that they actually are. Of course that magical technological device has the correct answer, and all of us idiots on the internet saying something different are Just Wrong. 😉😆

Some of the newer/better fitness trackers are getting more sophisticated (sometimes by ignoring heart rate when there's a better estimating method, as I understand it!).
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    There's a bit of truth in the idea of your body getting used to it, as measured in heart rate. I've noticed that my HR has declined in cardio I do repetitively whereas a new cardio activity using different muscles can reinvigorate things as far as achieving a good exercise HR.

When in doubt, go by heart rate. The rest, I think, is mostly just talk. You HR is either elevated to the desired level or not.
  • lgfrie
    edited April 2021
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    There's a bit of truth in the idea of your body getting used to it, as measured in heart rate. I've noticed that my HR has declined in cardio I do repetitively whereas a new cardio activity using different muscles can reinvigorate things as far as achieving a good exercise HR.

When in doubt, go by heart rate. The rest, I think, is mostly just talk. You HR is either elevated to the desired level or not.

You get better at doing an exercise and the HR might be lower, yes. But this has absolutely nothing to do with calorie burns. You're still moving the same mass over the same distance provided no weight loss or gain happened. Heart rate is absolutely not correlated to calorie burn. Calorie burn is basic physics in this case.

You are suggesting that HR has absolutely nothing to do with calorie burn? So for instance, if you do Activity A and it causes your HR to beat at 145 bpm (say, very vigorous cardio), and Activity B gives you a HR of 95 BPM (say, a stroll walking the dog), you don't believe you're burning more calories doing Activity A than B, or that heart rate is a gauge of how hard you are working (and burning fuel)?

This would certainly come as news to the various apps that use HR as the basis for estimating calories. An example (of many) would be the various Polar apps, and myWorkouts Sport GPS Tracker, the latter relying on HR based calorie estimation and which has done a stellar job for me in terms of predicting my weight loss from exercise +/- 5-10 % with no other input data - type of activity, etc. Just avg HR and duration of exercise. Quite accurate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

You get better at doing an exercise and the HR might be lower, yes. But this has absolutely nothing to do with calorie burns. You're still moving the same mass over the same distance provided no weight loss or gain happened. Heart rate is absolutely not correlated to calorie burn. Calorie burn is basic physics in this case.

You are suggesting that HR has absolutely nothing to do with calorie burn? So for instance, if you do Activity A and it causes your HR to beat at 145 bpm (say, very vigorous cardio), and Activity B gives you a HR of 95 BPM (say, a stroll walking the dog), you don't believe you're burning more calories doing Activity A than B, or that heart rate is a gauge of how hard you are working (and burning fuel)?

This would certainly come as news to the various apps that use HR as the basis for estimating calories. An example (of many) would be the various Polar apps, and myWorkouts Sport GPS Tracker, the latter relying on HR based calorie estimation and which has done a stellar job for me in terms of predicting my weight loss from exercise +/- 5-10 % with no other input data - type of activity, etc. Just avg HR and duration of exercise. Quite accurate.

This is from Azdak, it's a good explanation from a multi-decades-long fitness professional:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view?id=the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

And what evidence does she cite to support this claim?

Well, I admit Jillian Michals confuses me a little. Here in the video, she says that cardio isn't efficient for weight loss, but is only good for extreme weight loss. In other videos, I've seen Jillian say cardio is how you lose weight fast, but then in others, she says it's not efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY-PtsNkrvY

Here at the 2-minute mark, Jillian says ''When we do the same thing over and over, your body adapts to the stress and we no longer progress. You gotta constantly change the stimulus.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTiEDc-Bf74

To give this lady the benefit of the doubt...

She’s saying, I think, that cardio burns more than weight lifting during the exercise session but the added benefit of weight training, with potential gains in muscle mass, the weight training results in a bigger “lifetime” calorie loss?

It’s an interesting idea... is it definitely wrong?

She’s right that the body adjusts to stimulus and so you need to keep increasing the intensity of the stimulus for further training gains, isn’t she? That’s the basis for progressive overload. I feel that her dialogue gets a little confused when she relates that to cardio training though.

She’s also right that the best exercise is the one that gets you to the gym too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    davew0000 wrote: »

Well, I admit Jillian Michals confuses me a little. Here in the video, she says that cardio isn't efficient for weight loss, but is only good for extreme weight loss. In other videos, I've seen Jillian say cardio is how you lose weight fast, but then in others, she says it's not efficient.

Here at the 2-minute mark, Jillian says ''When we do the same thing over and over, your body adapts to the stress and we no longer progress. You gotta constantly change the stimulus.''

She’s saying, I think, that cardio burns more than weight lifting during the exercise session but the added benefit of weight training, with potential gains in muscle mass, the weight training results in a bigger “lifetime” calorie loss?

She’s right that the body adjusts to stimulus and so you need to keep increasing the intensity of the stimulus for further training gains, isn’t she? That’s the basis for progressive overload. I feel that her dialogue gets a little confused when she relates that to cardio training though.

She’s also right that the best exercise is the one that gets you to the gym too.

I absolutely think that weight training is a great thing for fitness, but my cardio activities regularly add 300+ calories to my TDEE. I don't think I could add enough muscle to take my (sedentary) need from 1,460 to the 2,000ish that I actually regularly eat to maintain my weight.

If Jillian Michaels is addressing this to the average person, I don't think her advice is well-founded. I'll speak of women and shorter women in particular -- I think the odds of long term weight management are much better if one increases activity enough to eat more than the amount that sedentary women typically need. It just makes compliance easier, as you can do things like go out to dinner or have a glass of wine or eat dessert without it being a big deal.

Specific cardio activities aren't the ONLY way to increase one's TDEE, but they're certainly one way to do that. And you keep burning calories through activity even if you aren't making specific training "gains."

People who are engaged in specific activities and want to meet certain goals will likely be following training plans to meet those goals that go beyond just "daily activity." That's a whole different discussion. The point is that you can burn calories through activity without continually making training gains and for many people, that's also going to meet their fitness goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    davew0000 wrote: »

Researchers seem to think that the difference in metabolic activity between muscle and fat is about 4 calories per pound per day, net, at rest. I'd bet stronger people move more, so burn more calories that way, but can't prove it. Probably there's some calorie expenditure in the "building" too, but I doubt we're talking huuuuuge numbers.

I think whether it's a bigger lifetime calorie loss depends on way too many individual factors to generalize. If I lift 3 times a week with a time-efficient program for basic strength, but do a boatload of cardio (in my case literally, boats, since I'm a rower), I probably burn more calories lifetime via cardio. If someone has a more robust strength routine, and only does a few minutes of cardio to warm up, probably the reverse.

For a person with a normal life (non-exercise job, home, etc.) all of that is likely much less than lifetime BMR and NEAT, so we're talking about small subsets of a minority share of lifetime calorie burn anyway.

Yes. I think I said that earlier in the thread. To keep making fitness progress, a person has to keep challenging their current level of fitness, progressively; and there are different dimensions of fitness that require different types of challenge, besides (strength, flexibility, CV capabilities of varied types . . . .)

Or wherever a person goes to exercise, like, say, rivers. But, yeah, as a practical matter, enjoyment - or at least tolerability matters. I'd be fitter if I lifted more, but I just don't find it fun. I row quite a lot, because I love it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Except it has nothing to do with WHAT your are eating, but HOW much of anything you are eating. Got some concepts wrong.

these "they" people are probably ignorant of the fact a workout same pace/speed/weight/intensity can become less of a workout for the cardiovascular system, and thereby HR can run lower to accomplish the same thing.

And that absolutely does NOT mean you are burning less in the workout if all those things stayed true - except for the 10-20 cal saved by the heart beating slower.
  • lgfrie
    Options

For the same exercise and everything else being equal, yes. I don’t burn more calories if I repeat yesterday’s run but with a higher hr because I didn’t sleep well.

If you don't sleep well, the reason your HR is higher is because your adrenal glands are releasing adrenaline to compensate for your over-tiredness. And indeed, when you're pumped with adrenaline, you're burning more calories than when you're not.Some amped up meth addict whose body is flooded with adrenaline and a HR of 170 is, obviously, burning many more calories than a person sitting on their couch.

I really don't understand how it can possibly, possibly be that a dozen or so people are Disagreeing in this thread with something so obviously true that HR is tied to caloric burn rate. It is not a controversial assertion. No doctor or physiologist would ever suggest that higher-HR activities burn the same or less calories than low-HR activities, or that a strong relationship doesn't exist between HR and caloric burn. There are, as I pointed out, apps and exercise machines that use HR as the sole variable for estimating calorie burn, and for some it's considered the gold standard of calorie burn estimation. All those watts readouts on exercise machines are, in fact, approximations in the absence of measuring the actual exertion your body conducts to perform an activity. HR is measuring the ACTUAL exertion, given that the heart is a finely regulated instrument designed to pump the precise amount of blood - oxygen - throughout the body based on its exertion level at every moment of the day.

I mean .. I respect many here, but I am completely lost as to how this can be even 0.0000001 % controversial. HR, exertion, and calorie burn are inextricably linked. Out there, outside the walls of MFP, this is not even a debate point. It's just the truth. Go run around the block a few times and check your heart rate. It will be up, as will your calorie burn. Come back home and sit. Your HR and caloric burn rate go down. I mean ... c'mon.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

For the same exercise and everything else being equal, yes. I don’t burn more calories if I repeat yesterday’s run but with a higher hr because I didn’t sleep well.

If you don't sleep well, the reason your HR is higher is because your adrenal glands are releasing adrenaline to compensate for your over-tiredness. And indeed, when you're pumped with adrenaline, you're burning more calories than when you're not.Some amped up meth addict whose body is flooded with adrenaline and a HR of 170 is, obviously, burning many more calories than a person sitting on their couch.

I really don't understand how it can possibly, possibly be that a dozen or so people are Disagreeing in this thread with something so obviously true that HR is tied to caloric burn rate. It is not a controversial assertion. No doctor or physiologist would ever suggest that higher-HR activities burn the same or less calories than low-HR activities, or that a strong relationship doesn't exist between HR and caloric burn. There are, as I pointed out, apps and exercise machines that use HR as the sole variable for estimating calorie burn, and for some it's considered the gold standard of calorie burn estimation. All those watts readouts on exercise machines are, in fact, approximations in the absence of measuring the actual exertion your body conducts to perform an activity. HR is measuring the ACTUAL exertion, given that the heart is a finely regulated instrument designed to pump the precise amount of blood - oxygen - throughout the body based on its exertion level at every moment of the day.

I mean .. I respect many here, but I am completely lost as to how this can be even 0.0000001 % controversial. HR, exertion, and calorie burn are inextricably linked. Out there, outside the walls of MFP, this is not even a debate point. It's just the truth. Go run around the block a few times and check your heart rate. It will be up, as will your calorie burn. Come back home and sit. Your HR and caloric burn rate go down. I mean ... c'mon.

Wondering this myself....