Diets

Options
Is keto really worth it or is regular calorie counting just as good?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Calorie awareness is better than keto for weight loss and for health. And for enjoyment too.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It is the calories you put in that count really whatever diet you use, whether it is keto, paleo or high carb. The problem for me with just simply counting the cals was that I got lazy doing it. If you know for sure you'll be able to track and record your food accuratly then you probably dont need keto. ...with keto you focus your attention on what you actually eat not so much how much of it, I found this approach easier and more effective but each to their own. Still need an awareness when it comes to how much cals you put in but generally because fat tends to be highly satiating you won't need to be as accurate as with simply cal counting. There are days I dont count at all, it doesn't really effect my diet. To lose weight though you will still need to be in calorie deficit to be sure, keto is just a highly effective method doing it, among others.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I guess I would want to know what you mean by "worth it." What is your goal? Why does Keto appeal to you? Personally, I don't have any desire to do something like Keto because my goal (now) is to maintain my weight (it was to lose weight) and I want to eat whatever I like in my calorie range which I do. Keto and those diets don't cause you to lose weight any faster, if that is what "worth it" means to you, you just need a calorie deficit for that. I suppose Keto can have benefits if your goal is to restrict carbs for some health reason.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

To lose weight you need to restrict calories.....period. Be it, restricting a certain macro (keto) or meal timing (fasting) or logging portions - you need to find a way to reduce calories consistently.

If logging food and counting calories does not appeal to you, you might look for a diet that restricts enough to reduce calories without logging. You could try the No "S Diet." No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except sometimes on days that begin with "S" - Saturdays, Sundays, & special days (holidays/birthdays). Even then, it's possible to load up on "firsts" so you don't feel the need for seconds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

All diets work the same way...calorie restriction. In the case of Keto, you are substantially restricting an entire macro-nutrient to almost nothing. Such a restriction will, for most people, also substantially restrict calories.

The only difference with keto is that people lose a pretty big chunk of water weight early on due to the fact that carbohydrates carry about 3-4 grams of water per every gram of carbohydrate. I guess that's something that might motivate some people...but the reality is that it's just water. That big water dump also comes right back on when keto is stopped.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

Wait... wait... wait..... what if I eat a paleo, low carb, low fat, inside an 8hr window, while tracking my points diet? Does it still work by creating a caloric deficit?

For you, dear nephew, only if you Lift Heavy and do an hour of HIIT every. single. day. Oh, and don't eat white foods, hidden sugars, junk food, fast food, nor anything processed.

(To others: Joking!)

(To OP: Keto is useful if it helps you, personally, be happy while sticking with a sensible calorie goal. Otherwise, it's a needless, irrelevant complication. The observation in previous posts about carbs and water weight? That's accurate.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2021
    Options

The only thing that matters, and no one can tell you this, is determining what is sustainable for you and your journey. Keto wasn't too hard for me to sustain. It satiated me and i largely focus on meats and dairy.... So it worked. From a performance perspective, and the reason i came off keto was it hurt my lifts a lot.
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    Options

@meaganraney1138 i find keto one of the most effective diets that works for me. Done it many times to be able to testify. But ultimately the real secret to losing weight is not giving up. Every diet works as long as you STICK TO IT long enough. Find the one that works for you and keep going
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

Wait... wait... wait..... what if I eat a paleo, low carb, low fat, inside an 8hr window, while tracking my points diet? Does it still work by creating a caloric deficit?

For you, dear nephew, only if you Lift Heavy and do an hour of HIIT every. single. day. Oh, and don't eat white foods, hidden sugars, junk food, fast food, nor anything processed.

(To others: Joking!)

(To OP: Keto is useful if it helps you, personally, be happy while sticking with a sensible calorie goal. Otherwise, it's a needless, irrelevant complication. The observation in previous posts about carbs and water weight? That's accurate.)

Lost me at HIIT... lol😉
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The reason WW doesn’t work for me is that zero point foods weren’t creating a calorie deficit. “But how many bananas or gapes can you eat” says WW fan- friend. Me:” 5 bananas and 5 pounds of grapes a day. ” . Not kidding. Wish I was.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    Me personally - keto would be bad idea.

I like far too many carby foods and have no problem eating them in calorie appropriate amounts.

But some people like keto.

If it suits you, do it. Or don't, if it doesn't.

Either way you need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hotelsma wrote: »

@meaganraney1138 i find keto one of the most effective diets that works for me. Done it many times to be able to testify. But ultimately the real secret to losing weight is not giving up. Every diet works as long as you STICK TO IT long enough. Find the one that works for you and keep going
    If you HAVE to keep doing it to lose weight, then maybe it ISN'T the diet you can do for MAINTENANCE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's what I was thinking.