Ask me anything - nutrition coach

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How much water is too much? I generally drink 12-15 glasses a day and in warmer weather as of now I think I'm drinking more. I think I lost count today :/ but let's say 18. I tend to sweat a lot so I feel faint.

1 gallon a day is an ideal water intake
    Actually there's no scientific studies that support that. The gallon of water thing is a broscience gym fallacy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I never said there was a study, I like to tell people to drink a gallon a day instead of telling them to keep their water high. Ppl like measurements instead of vague statements

I can actually kind of agree with this. I have noticed, that "average" ( I use the word lightly ) , does like to be told what to do. Many people do not want engage in the way folks in here do. Lots of people like absolutes. Do X and Y will happen kind of thing. Problem is, they learn nothing. I would even go as far to say that telling people, especially newbies, to train to failure may increase muscle gain. The reason is, many newbies dont know what an rpe of 7 or 8 feels like. Instead of telling them to train to failure all the time, maybe have them do it a few times to see what true failure feels like.

And to be honest, most people unless very experienced and/or pushed hard by a coach don't understand what failure is, they have never been to that point in any physical activity.

Agreed, but I think "true" failure has to be used sparingly and with respect. I personally prefer, if I do failure, to form failure. When form starts to break, injuries become more likely. That said, I would never tell a new gym goer to take each set to true failure. First, they need to learn the basic lifts and master tech. Then, taking each set to failure, may impact muscle gain. The person may exhaust themselves and be able to push less volume in a session. If they had left a rep or two in the tank, they may push more total volume. Third, I do not believe that "breaking" a new client, especially an obese one, is a good idea. They may get hurt or just think the gym = pain. Not a very good association for something we like for people to love. I hate it when I see a never obese trainer just decimate an obese client. Walking lunges for a 300+ lbs client. *kitten*, put on a 120 lb suit and try that $#!÷. Then we can talk.

Agree 100% with all the above, "form" failure is really as far as anyone should go. Now you can start modifying the exercise as form breaks down (stripping weights off a bar as a simple example) to keep going to close to "ultimate" failure but you will seldom see anyone doing this on a regular basis and with good reason. People don't recover like that.

• abigailetches
    abigailetches Posts: 20 Member
    Hello, I am looking to get some advise. For over 6 weeks, I've been away from sugar and carbs. I went from about 124 to about 113. I wasn't using MyFitnesspal to track anything. I have been doing 30min. of the elliptical 4 days a week and walk about an hour 2-3days a week.

I've noticed that for the past 2 weeks or so, I haven't lost any weight. I just got to tracking meals for 4 days. I hate weights and my Rheumatologist suggests I don't do it. She says that I can walk and do yoga. But, the cardio is something I like, keeps me focused and helps with depression. Is there any reason why I'm stagnant? I still continue to eat protein and veges and olive oil and nuts (almonds and pumpkin seeds).

Is there any reason why I'm stagnant?
    I was hoping to lose a pound a week for 5 months so I can lose 20lbs. Is this a realistic goal with how I'm eating and exercising? I am 50 and female.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    113 lbs? What's your height?
  • abigailetches
    4.7"
  • abigailetches
    4 feet 7 inches
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’m wondering why people are so concerned with all this. The guy is giving advice, for free, on an Internet forum. He’s not the nutritionist of the Mayo Clinic, nor did he say he was. Take his advice or don’t. Drink 3/4 a gallon of water if a gallon is too much. Drink none, nobody cares. I haven’t seen him giving advice that would have anyone hurting themselves in regard to lifting weight either. Lift to failure or leave a couple in the tank. Or don’t, once again, nobody cares.

I don't care about YOUR qualifications, because you haven't presented yourself as an expert. The OP has, yet he has not shared his qualifications, and does not appear to have taken the time to "read the room" (get to know the forum) before posting and reacting.

This is not a thread for the OP and people who have questions. This is a thread for any forum member who choses to participate, which will include people who question his responses.

I wouldn't characterize anyone as "so concerned" - you're just seeing the normal pushback to pronouncements with no citations.

you’re talking about certifications and you’re the guy who google articles, post them and don’t even read them lmao..
  • abigailetches
    I understand that you're not a nutrition coach. But, appreciate any advice. The ellliptical is not new to me. I was hoping to change the quality and quantity of sleep, but no change. I'm frustrated with the scale. It's not a great source of motivation. I have taken measurements and they have decreased. But, I was really hoping that I would see a decrease on the scale.
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member
    I’m here to help ppl; you can disagree with the advice I give; if they want to take it, fine; if not that’s fine too. it’s free and free speech. Don’t come into my thread to argue with me cause I don’t care what you have to say. you can disagree all you want.. I’m not here for a debate; I know my stuff and I got many ppl into shape..

Have you?
    I have. 35+ years in the business with over 700 clients. I'll just say that if you have advice and it gets scrutinized, give the reason why you give it. In fact, I've also learned things here from others being on here for over 10 years. I'm good at what I do, but I'm also willing to learn from others if what they are touting has legit scientific back up to it. I don't know it all. There are likely some who are much better in knowledge in certain areas of fitness and health than myself. Remember if you ain't learning, you ain't growing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The is the thing, I don’t have to; unless the OP asked why. I don’t get paid for this so if anyone else agreed with it then oh well; it’s open forum; I’m not here to debate
    So are you here to just give YOUR advice or actual teach? Because there's actually a difference. I mean when someone tells you they heard that drinking apple cider vinegar accelerates weight loss, are you just going to accept it or ask why? Looking at an answer from the receivers point of view can do wonders for your own progress in fitness and health when you take into consideration their concerns. You're on an open forum so the OP's aren't the only ones reading the advice. You'll have lurkers too who don't engage in conversation, so to clarify actually puts you in better standing. By not answering a question, advice becomes suspicious to some.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I teach the people who ask questions.

But you have no actual qualifications to do so - or if you do you didnt answer to say what they are

We can all teach people who ask questions if our area of knowledge covers their question or our experience is relevant - I have answered questions about immunisations for example because that is my area of knowledge and working experience.

I am not a fan of posters starting a thread with I am an expert on everything and then refusing to engage in discussion about their recomendations and making sarcastic and derogatory remarks about others - 'they are just in a bubble because they dont agree with me'

I dont agree with some of your recomendations or conclusions (poster's issue after 1 week of not losing was not adding muscle which disguised weight loss :* ) - and those I know nothing about - eg gym excercises - I have not commented on.

I also disagree with your approach - one of the first things when giving relevant advice is finding out enough to base that advice on and individualising the advice - and that applies to any area, not just fitness/nutrition

Kitchen cabinetry, financial advice, family therapy, aged care assistance, garden design, wedding planning etc etc

I don’t really care what you agree with. this is not a debate table; this is a thread I made to answer questions based on what I learned from 15 years; 6 bodybuilding shows I coached myself through, 30+ clients.. can I get certifications? I sure can, but 99% of these certifications any kid can take and claim they know something.. like the “old guy” who keeps wanting my attention
This discussion has been closed.