What exactly is the point?

Options

Replies

• adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    You were wonderfully made. You are more perfect then you know. try to discover that. Physiologically you still have 6 years of growing to do. scars and stretch marks at your age will likely go away.

The real point of all this is control. Self control. We all need self control for more reasons then physical health.

You can do this.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You need to love yourself scars and all and you may need some professional therapy to do that. A lot of people do so that is nothing to be ashamed of. In your photo, you look very young so you probably won't understand what I am saying right now. The point of being healthy is that one day, you will have your own children. They will worry you to death but you will still want to stay alive to see them grow up. Then, you will have grandchildren which is your reward for having children because your grandchildren will bring more joy into your life than you ever imagined and you are not responsible for a damn thing they do that is bad because you are the grandmother. If that doesn't do it, you need a near death experience and you will not even notice those scars or marks you speak of. You will just be happy to be alive. Trust me - I know. Good Luck and please, find a way to not be so hard on yourself. You are a beautiful girl.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    awww..I have lots of stretchmarks too and its depressing at times, but I feel so much better about myself the other 23 hrs and 45 minutes of the day that im not undressed and having to see them. Its so worth it to feel good on the inside. I hope you have a more positive attitude as you get older. I lost 100 lbs in my 20's. 16 inches off the waist alone. Its a terrible sight, but I call them my battle scars. I won the war with obesity.
    I hope you feel better!
  • derbylea
    Options
    I've got all kinds of stretch marks, from being fat and from having kids. I have a 4 inch long purple scar where they took my appendix out when I nearly died. I have a continuous glucose monitor that hooks into my skin and makes a new hole every six days when I have to move it. I have an insulin pump that is continuously hooked to my body. It looks like an old school pager in my pocket or at my waist. Its not cute. It also pokes a new hole in me every three days. I am a mess. But why stay fat? Why not get healthy and feel good. Who cares if I never look like a model? Who cares if I will always have this ugly appendectomy scar? My husband doesn't he knows I am more than my body. You are more than your body too. Lose weight to be healthy not to go after some unattainable ideal. Beauty comes from much more than the outer package.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Every single scar I have tells the story of me. Each one is a moment of time in my life that changed and molded me into the person I am now. My newest one is the 6 inch incision scar across my abdomen from removing a tumor in April. While I was recovering I realized that I had to change my life or I wasn't going to make it much longer. I wear all my scars and stretch marks with pride. That which doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Physical scars are difficult...but the emotional ones are much more difficult to deal with...a friend recently told me: "you need to get your inside to catch up with your outside." I've lost 40 pounds, I'm at a healthy weight, I look great...but somehow I don't see myself the way my friends do...my self esteem still needs a lot of work. (and I have stretch marks, too, but that's not the first thing someone will comment on when they see me, or you, for that matter)

Maybe losing weight won't be the be-all end-all you want it to be, maybe you will still have those scars...but don't let that be a reason to stay unhealthy. Don't wait til you're my age (I'm old enough to be your mother) to believe in yourself and your own power, regardless of your weight.

I keep seeing this quote: "Find your strong." (it's actually from a Saucony advertising campaign, but to me it's meaningful. Find your inner strength and beauty, and focus on that)

PS. From a completely objective stranger: you're a beautiful young woman. Don't let anyone tell you different.
  • rochelleruby
    Options
    Wow...harsh much! Yeah...I have plenty of stretchmarks from having a kid. I was 18...I went from 85 pounds to 120...I didn't stand a chance at not getting them. My entire stomach is covered...I haven't worn a bikini since I was 17. If my stomach was flat and had them I'd be more than proud to show them off. I have left over skin that won't go away without a tummy tuck. Also...I have a scar the entire way down my sternum. I had open heart surgery when I was 6 months old...I show that off proudly! Without it I would have died before I turned a year old. Stop being so 'distraught' over stupid scars and a few stretchmarks. Grow up.
    Scars from pregnancy are something to be proud of. Scars from life-saving surgery are obviously something to be proud of. I was talking about how I feel about MYSELF and I even said I know people have it worse than I do.

I have to go out so I can't reply to everyone right now, but I just wanted to make it clear I'm not attacking anyone but myself... I'll carefully read all the replies when I get home.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well i have stretch marks throughout my body but the worse is on my lower stomach from my pregnancy. Even though im blessed with having a pretty flat stomach my lower stomach is not just marked but also loose from the pregnancy and the weight loss. Im definitely self conscious of this area but i still prefer to have an over all smaller frame even with this loose and stretch marked lower stomach. So for me there still is a point. So it can get worse than just the stretch marks.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Let me give you something to think about. It's a parallel to what you've shared, so while I realize it isn't the same, it may help you.

I'm a community college professor. One of the things I deal with every semester is students who stumble and fall in an academic sense, and who become easily convinced that their life is over. I remind them that the real judge of a person's character is not whether they stumble (we all do) but how they respond to falling down. You can allow yourself to be defeated or you can learn from it, rise from the ashes, and be stronger. These marks may never go away, but they can be a springboard to greater things. (For example, I greatly impressed the president of the first college where I taught when I explained how I grew from the D+ on my college transcript. I secured his support for the job by how I handled it. The mark will never go away but I've found a way to make it work for me.)

On a much more personal level, let me share with you the deepest emotional scar I expect I will ever carry. 2 1/2 years ago, I lost my second child. His kidneys had failed to develop and he was lost to a stillbirth. Many months later, we learned that I had a very rare genetic disease that was responsible for this. In many ways I will carry the emotional scar of the grief and responsibility for his all to short life for the rest of mine. For many months after this passing I was not able to say little Reverie's name aloud. But here's the thing. The pain of his loss -- which will never go away completely -- allowed us to find out that his big brother has the same disorder. We now know about a kidney disorder that he has and are treating it before it becomes a problem for him. We were also prepared for possible challenges with his little brother, which are abundant (he has, effectively, no ears) and in spite of very severe hearing impairment his speech is only a couple of months delayed. All because of what his brother prepared us for.

Do not take this story as "people have it harder than you," because that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that when you carry a scar of any kind you can choose to bear it with shame and grief, or you can choose to wear it with pride and as an emblem of what you've learned and who you've become. I will never be totally rid of the grief over losing a child. But the emotional scar from Reverie has come to define my life in a very deep way. That scar has taught me the power of my education in a very deep way, and inspired me to share that with others; I have plans to start an educational foundation in Reverie's memory some day to help other families with less education cope with similar challenges. The scar empowers me to do this; it's only been with me a few years, but I can't imagine life without it, and that is a good thing.

I think it's inevitable that we become defined by our physical and emotional scars. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that we have a real choice in this matter. But what we DO have power over is whether that definition is a good or a bad thing. Maybe I'm just saying make lemonade from lemons, but I don't think so. I think it's deeper than that. I think it is empowering to OWN our scars and show the world what we've become both as a result of and in spite of our life's battles. Just something to think about.

Peace...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your young. wait till age kicks your behind. This will seem like nothing.. I promise.
  • DTRTinAZ
    Options
    It sounds like the scars you have go deeper than your skin. Your outlook it a matter of persepective, it's your choice on how you want to look at things. I don't think I can impart any words of wisdom that you have not already heard. You are a beautiful young girl with so much ahead of you. Please talk with someone who can help you tackle some of the issues that seem overwhelming. You don't have to do it alone.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My body is a scarred road map and plenty of loose skin.

The rundown:
    I've got ridiculously flabby underarms (batwings). I've got two giant scars under each breast, and around both nips (sorry to be graphic). These are from a breast reduction and subsequent breast lift.

I've got a scar that runs from the breastline, down the sternum, to below my waist (skin reduction surgery). Another that runs completely around the circumference around my hips from the total body lift I had after weight loss. Then, i have a scar from the groin to the knee, on both thighs.... and TWO more from my hips to my knee on the outside (both legs) from hip repair surgery as a kid. Oh, and then I have pin marks around my left knee from when I had to be in traction after an accident.

And, quite honestly - I love them all. Of course I wish I had gorgeous unblemished skin, but I don't. My entire body is covered in stretch marks. They are badges of strength - I EARNED them. I ate my way to them, and I worked my butt off to lose the weight... which makes them stand out more. The surgery scars are from accidents where I was having a blast BEOFRE, or from repair surgery after weight loss. They aren't pretty, but they're mine.

It took a long time for me to be okay with them. I started getting massages about 8 years ago just to work up the nerve for someone to see me naked. Then I found a wonderful man that loves me just as I am - and finds all my scars and marks as just part of me.

Like I said, they aren't exactly beauty marks. But they are distinctive and tell the story of me. Yours tell the story of you.

It's all a part of learning to love yourself, I think. As RuPaul would say, "If you can't love yourself, how the heII are you gonna love someone else?"
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    To help you get things in perspective, check out Nick Vujicic on YouTube. He has no arms, no legs,no worries.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options

Summarized, I think its about feeling good about yourself.

Aiv'e just learned that if I ever have anyone in my life who makes me feel bad about any of them, I have the control to not let it affect me and to tell them to f**k off.

WOO HOO! YES!
  • BanderaOutlaw
    Options
    To offer a male perspective, scars and stretch marks are literally inconsequential when it comes to how most of us perceive beauty. But how men see women and how women see themselves are often very different things - women, by far, are harder on themselves and more aware of and affected by their perceived imperfections than men are.

I understand the challenge it can be to change your paradigm, to see yourself differently than how you presently do. Open your mind to consider the possibility that, to the rest of the world (men especially, if that's a concern), your scars and stretch marks are 100% irrelevant to your beauty (and I'm not just talking about inner beauty, but your physical attractiveness) - that they may as well be invisible or non-existence. With scars and marks, or without, it makes no difference - at least to anyone else.

If your disappointment with your scars or marks is purely internal, I think your best path is to simply work toward an understanding that your negative self-perception is self-created and can be self-controlled - just as you can exercise a muscle to build strength, you can grow to look at yourself and your perceived imperfections differently. Just like losing weight or learning rocket science, it's a process that takes time, forgiveness, and persistence.

Surround yourself with people, in real life and here on the forums, that encourage and uplift you. You don't have to hate your body or your scars - just like every experience in your life has brought you to this moment, to posting here on this forum, this can serve as a turning point for the negativity and pain you feel over these issues.

Your feelings are valid. You can grow beyond them. Forgive yourself, and give yourself permission to feel a little better about yourself each day.

Best of luck - we're all here for you. :-)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    To help you get things in perspective, check out Nick Vujicic on YouTube. He has no arms, no legs,no worries.

^^^This.

I first saw a video of Nick Vujicic on Youtube right around the time I started my weight loss journey and was struggling to run more than 60 seconds at a time...I watched videos of him over and over, read his story, and kept trying.

I'm not a hero, I don't have a particularly interesting "story," I may not inspire thousands to do good in this world, but I know I've inspired at least 3 friends to start exercising and taking care of their health. And knowing that I have affected someone else's life makes me keep trying.

You have to believe in yourself, regardless of your story or scars.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    I was talking about how I feel about MYSELF and I even said I know people have it worse than I do.
    I'm not attacking anyone but myself... I'll carefully read all the replies when I get home.

By the way, I respect your post and your feelings. You're entitled to them. What's important to you is important, and not to be dismissed or minimized.

I don't see what you said as an attack, but I do hope the posts and responses can help you see beauty comes in lots of forms - some are banged up and scarred. Someone telling you you're beautiful may not help, but I hope someday you will KNOW it's true.

There is so much to live for and enjoy in this life - even telling the stories about how you got the scars. Surround yourself with people who love and accept you - and sweep out any that don't build you up. THIS INCLUDES YOURSELF. Try to shake out those negative thoughts. You're worth it, life is worth it, and enjoying every second of it is critical.

My very best to you.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Wow...harsh much! Yeah...I have plenty of stretchmarks from having a kid. I was 18...I went from 85 pounds to 120...I didn't stand a chance at not getting them. My entire stomach is covered...I haven't worn a bikini since I was 17. If my stomach was flat and had them I'd be more than proud to show them off. I have left over skin that won't go away without a tummy tuck. Also...I have a scar the entire way down my sternum. I had open heart surgery when I was 6 months old...I show that off proudly! Without it I would have died before I turned a year old. Stop being so 'distraught' over stupid scars and a few stretchmarks. Grow up.
    Scars from pregnancy are something to be proud of. Scars from life-saving surgery are obviously something to be proud of. I was talking about how I feel about MYSELF and I even said I know people have it worse than I do.

I have to go out so I can't reply to everyone right now, but I just wanted to make it clear I'm not attacking anyone but myself... I'll carefully read all the replies when I get home.

I understand that. However...your scars are probably quite tiny. Wait till you're in your 40's and have wrinkles, age spots...ect. Then you can complain. I hate seeing you be so upset with yourself over something so pidly. At your age I had a kid, was married, worked full time, went to school full time...ect. You have it easy at the moment. Enjoy life! Not all of my stretchmarks are on my stomach either...they are on my breasts, my hips, my thighs, my butt, and my upper arms. Some of them are from weight loss. I'm 26 and in the prime of my life...don't get so down on yourself. I also have plenty of other scars...but the one down my sternum is the largest. You need to learn to be happy with yourself...if possible talk to someone who is a professional. They can offer much better advice than those of us on a web site.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I got stretch marks all over the place too. Most of them see most of them seem to be fading, but you can still see 'em. I guess it's my fault for developing such a large appetite when I was younger and gaining too much weight too quickly. Oh well, what can ya do? Nobody's perfect.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Scars and marks are going to accumulate as you go through life. Some have a story attached (my ankles tell quite a story about my short lived hobby of skydiving!), others are just there and I don't even know where they came from.

There is SO much point in eating healthy and exercising. The main one to give you energy to enjoy your life. It might seem like those scars are all that anyone notices, but I can tell you that no one else really cares that much. They are much more interested in who you are and in sharing good times (and tough time too) with you.