I feel vulnerable & have so many questions

Options
TheWaistBasket
TheWaistBasket Posts: 56 Member
edited May 2021 in Getting Started
I started the day very excited & and will end it overwhelmed. I got friend's request. I am thrilled. I will have good company on my long way ahead.

I got so much advice today it made my head spin. I came here with a goal but no plan. It made me feel stupid admitting it. I don't know much about food, nutrition & portion sizes. What advice is the right one? I ordered a food scale. Do I have to weigh everything? Do I weigh before or after cooking, or both?

I need a plan and researching different diet approaches confused me more. I decided I need help and I made an appointment with a dietician. I seem to be the only one here who has so much weight to lose. I am the elephant in the room. I feel embarrassed.

Calories in vs Calories out.

I thought I make a list of food I really like and the ones I don't like at all -like broccoli- before I see the dietician. Is there anything else I should do besides being here, buying a scale, and getting professional help?

I have a doctor's appointment (yearly physical) in October. I want to be under 300 lbs by then is that realistic? (Start weight yesterday 361 lbs)

I feel very vulnerable today. Like I have been hiding for one year and now I opened the door and let the world in to see me.

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes, weigh everything, but weigh it raw, don't weigh again cooked. Just start the habit, don't stress if you aren't doing everything perfectly, no one does to start with, we all started somewhere, and good luck :)

Don't know what you weigh now, but if you are over 300lb, then 2lb a week is a reasonable weight loss goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It can be really daunting to get started! You're making a huge step just by admitting how daunting it is.

One thing that helped me was realizing that it was okay to be learning. For example, I learned after a few months that I had been mismeasuring a food that I was eating regularly and underestimating my calories. I adjusted but the important thing is that I had still be losing weight because I was doing a good enough job with estimating everything else and even underestimating those specific calories wasn't enough to cancel all that out. You're going to learn stuff as you go along because calorie counting isn't something we're born knowing how to do.

When I'm shooting for a deficit (I'm maintaining now) I weigh just about everything, but especially calorie-dense foods. I weigh things raw for the most part -- that's generally the most accurate way to measure them. But if you forget to weigh something before cooking it, you haven't ruined anything. Just make sure you choose the database entry for "cooked" as opposed to "raw."
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    And welcome to the forums and getting bombarded by advice.
    My advice. You took the first step when you decided. That’s the BIG one. You took the second step when you came here.
    Steps 3,4, and 5= scale, dietician, goal. All excellent steps. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Step after step. I agree with Lemongirl. The important first step of logging is START. You will learn a lot very quickly through trial and error. Don’t worry. It’s an important part of the whole process.
    61 pounds in a few months? Maybe doable, but maybe too aggressive. It’s important to arrive at your goals, but it’s important to arrive healthy and preferable to enjoy the trip.
    There was a man on this Site a couple of years ago who lost just about your total weight. You are not the heaviest person here.
    Search for 100 pounds and you may find some groups you may want to join for accountability and support.
    Good luck.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'll just tell you something I read today by one of my favorite female personal trainers: It's okay to be sucky while you're learning!

You are headed in the right direction, knowing you want to make a change and admitting you need some help. You will make mistakes or have setbacks as you go, and that's ok. I would just take one thing at a time if you're feeling overwhelmed. It may sound like a lot, but you don't have to do everything all at once. Also, keep in my mind that these changes are meant to last a lifetime, so taking it step by step will make it more manageable.

I think a simple rule of thumb is to include more of the stuff that's "good" for you (e.g., vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, etc.) and less of the not as good-for-you stuff. That's not to say you can't eat treats, although some people find they can't keep certain things in the house. It does all come down to calories in calories out, but most people find eating more nutritious foods (protein, fiber, healthy fats) keeps them full longer, and may even keep cravings down in the long run.

Tracking all of your food, even when you've had a "bad eating day" is a really good habit to get into. That's something you can start without even having a calorie deficit yet. I personally don't weigh my foods (or if so, very rarely), but I had dieted on and off throughout my life so have a pretty good idea of amounts of food. I also have a history of disordered eating/obsessive thoughts, so didn't want to go down that route. I successfully lost and am maintaining by doing this. However, for someone who really doesn't know a lot about nutrition and what appropriate serving sizes are, I think weighing and measuring your food is a good idea. It can make a difference for some in rate of weight loss and is helpful for a lot of people.

I think the biggest piece of advice is to change your mindset about weight loss, yourself, and your relationship with food. Yes, it is going to take work to change habits and lose weight, and sometimes it'll feel too hard. You may feel like giving up, but don't. However, if you view yourself as a person who can make sustainable changes to lose weight and overcome hurdles and setbacks, you'll be much more likely to be able to actually do so.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    You definitely want to read some of the posts linked in the Most Helpful Posts Topic: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Don't try to read them all at once; it may overwhelm you more. But do dip in and out of them, even if you only take away one point at a time, little by little it will all start making sense.

As others have pointed out, you made the first step to be here, the rest will fall into place.

Edit: Some of the links in the topic mentioned go to random pages in the threads. Be sure to scroll up and select the first page.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    My two cents:
    Track everything that you put in your mouth for 2 weeks. Then take a look at it. Small changes to a few things can save many calories. Sometimes there are things that you might consume every day, and you realize that you could have those things once per week instead. Other times it will be trading calories around - finding things that are delicious, filling, and sustainable over the long haul.
    It really is about the lifestyle change once you have decided that you want to lose weight. Slowly change your eating habits once you have a firm grasp on exactly what those are and where you might shave a few calories without feeling deprived or anything.
    I like rich food, I swapped out whipping cream (35%) for sour cream, save a gazillion calories and it is still a delicious "cream sauce" that I flavour in a myriad of ways.

Best of luck on your new journey, you will find lots of support here on MFP : - )
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There’s so much good advice here... I can try to summarise:

Show up. Log. Learn. Repeat as necessary.

Because:
    I log in daily, updating my weight. This shows me my progress.
    I log my food intake and exercise as accurately as possible. This keeps me honest (even on the hungry days).
    I truly believe that I learn something new every day, just browsing the forum. This keeps me motivated.
    I will keep doing this, not just to ‘goal’ but into maintenance and beyond (not making the mistake I made at ‘goal’ last time, thinking I could return to my lazy/greedy ways).

Welcome to MPF, we’re glad to have you here!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with just logging for a couple of weeks. It may very well show you really calorie dense things that you won't miss much. I swear I found a thousand calories some days in CONDIMENTS. It was ridiculous, but it was also enormously educational. Just learning the calorie content of things is hugely useful.

And going against the grain: You have a lot to lose. You can weigh your food if you want, but don't feel like you have to be precise right now. Cups, spoons, and estimates/measurements will be enough for you to see results.

Also don't expect weight loss to stay rapid, or even happen every week or at the same rate. Bodies just don't work like that.

You've got this, you really do. It's less complicated and scary than you think.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    The basics---get your daily calorie goal, get a digital food scale, weigh and measure everything before cooking, and try to stay within your daily goal everyday. If you mess up, just keep going. Take photos and or measurements. When you've lost a lot, you'll be glad you did. Read the success threads when you feel down, they will lift you up. Good luck.
  • teamhugcpt
    teamhugcpt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with just logging for a couple of weeks.

+1 for this. Just learning how to use the app and making tracking into a consistent habit is a big accomplishment that will set you up for long-term success. Don't worry about making any changes yet - collecting accurate data on what you're doing now will help your dietician make better recommendations.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Small changes add up. I made the mistake of overhauling everything at once and I couldn't maintain all of those changes longterm. Commit to one change every week or so and stick with it.

I agree about logging. Bring your daily menus to the dietician. Know where you can start to cut calories. And don't worry about falling down..we all do. But success comes from starting over the next day or next meal.

Its not always hard..and its not easy either. Consistency is key. This is a lifetime change, not a temporary fix.

Experiment with new foods, especially vegetables.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

Oh and remember we are all different, some things will work for you, some won't.

• ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for learning to log before making any changes. Accurate and consistent logging is the key to making MFP work for you so it really is worthwhile taking the time to learn it. I would also stress some expectation management - a lot of newcomers (myself included many years ago) expected every day to be perfect, every week to show a loss, and every workout to be amazing etc... that's not realistic. Even now, two years in to maintenance I have off days/weeks/even months sometimes - where life gets in the way. It is important to be kind to yourself in those moments. Accept you had a setback and resolve to move on immediately, don't dwell on it. Patience and self compassion will really help you through. A huge well done to you for getting started, I wish you every success and encourage you to ask questions as often as you want to on the forums - people are always happy to help!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    One of the most pervasive myths in the diet industry is that we have absolutely no idea how to feed ourselves. If you are still alive, reasonably healthy (outside of excess weight), you need to start by thinking in terms of adjustment. It may eventually turn into more of an overhaul but there is no reason to start there.

With that said you absolutely do need to practice awareness of how your food is managing your hunger and energy. The biggest adjustments to make when you start a calorie deficit is making sure that your calories are providing decent hunger control and preventing fatigue. This is often done by increasing protein and fiber but it can be different for you. Some people respond to higher fat. If you need it, you can be given several strategies here to try experimentally until you dial in on one that works best for you most of the time. 'Most of the time' because even a normally great strategy may not work on highly unusual days. My strategies work great until I am in a situation where I am recovering from a surgery or fighting an infection. During those times even as I allow more food my hunger is hard to control.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    One of the most pervasive myths in the diet industry is that we have absolutely no idea how to feed ourselves. If you are still alive, reasonably healthy (outside of excess weight), you need to start by thinking in terms of adjustment. It may eventually turn into more of an overhaul but there is no reason to start there.

With that said you absolutely do need to practice awareness of how your food is managing your hunger and energy. The biggest adjustments to make when you start a calorie deficit is making sure that your calories are providing decent hunger control and preventing fatigue. This is often done by increasing protein and fiber but it can be different for you. Some people respond to higher fat. If you need it, you can be given several strategies here to try experimentally until you dial in on one that works best for you most of the time. 'Most of the time' because even a normally great strategy may not work on highly unusual days. My strategies work great until I am in a situation where I am recovering from a surgery or fighting an infection. During those times even as I allow more food my hunger is hard to control.

You do need more calories to heal from surgery or fight an infection, so it is OK to eat a bit more or even switch to maintenance until you're better - your body needs energy to do things! That said, I certainly hope you aren't finding yourself in that situation regularly.

OP, I believe in you. I'm going to second (third? tenth?) all the suggestions to start by just logging honestly for a week or two, then figure out one small change you could make and do that until it's easy, then figure out another small change, etc. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, you don't have to throw away your entire daily routine and replace it wholesale. You can examine your life bit by bit and make small incremental changes and you will still see improvements over time, it will still work.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

You do need more calories to heal from surgery or fight an infection, so it is OK to eat a bit more or even switch to maintenance until you're better - your body needs energy to do things! That said, I certainly hope you aren't finding yourself in that situation regularly.

OP, I believe in you. I'm going to second (third? tenth?) all the suggestions to start by just logging honestly for a week or two, then figure out one small change you could make and do that until it's easy, then figure out another small change, etc. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, you don't have to throw away your entire daily routine and replace it wholesale. You can examine your life bit by bit and make small incremental changes and you will still see improvements over time, it will still work.

The problem is my hunger signals are extremish. They can be too silent or screaming too loudly. From what I remember 20 percent over maintenance should be enough for most healing and if my hunger stopped there it would be no problem. I can eat 100 percent over maintenance and still be looking for more because the secondary problem is that when I am not feeling my best I am doing less cooking which present less opportunities to do low calorie bulking of my meals. It also means I am moving less and even adjusting up to maintenance + 20 percent I get less food than normal.

Overall I expect the scale to go up slightly when I am healing and/or fighting an infection. I would expect a few pounds though not 15. My system is only a little over 3 years old though so it is not a huge surprise there are a few holes in it when unusual things happen. I just need to review all that has happened and try to decide on a better sick/recovery plan to try in the future.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    If you're overwhelmed, then know this: you don't have to be perfect/do everything on day 1.

Some simple places to start:

Track everything you eat/drink/consume. Look for little things you can change to decrease calories. Like drinking more water and less regular soda OR switching to diet/0 cal alternatives. Using lighter versions of some food, like 2% dairy. Less fried food, more baked/grilled.

Move more. Its not 'required' for weight loss, but it does burn calories to move more and it can be good for your body. More than your current normal is the goal. If you spend most of your day sitting now, then make it an effort to get up and walk around the room/house/to the mailbox/around the block (whatever is appropriate for you) a few extra times a day. Gradually increase that.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I got my food scale and will weigh and log my food faithfully.

Good luck. That has always worked for me.

Here is a starting suggestion on logging. I found it interesting. Think of something you want to make, or eat, anything. A PB&J, a bowl of fruit loops with milk, some Mac N' Cheese, even a green salad. Anything.

Then go to the kitchen and make it, using the scale, and what the back of the label calls "1 serving". So the bread will probably say 1 or maybe 2 slices is a serving, then the jam will say x grams is one serving, and the Peanut Butter will say X grams is one serving. Make your sandwich carefully to be one serving.

For me starting that way did two things, it makes it easy to log and kind of figure out how that all works, and second it kind of got me more familiar with "serving sizes" of things I usually eat. It was educational.

Eventually if you are 'weighing and logging faithfully' you'll have to be really familiar with the process and have it become kind of easy. At first it seems real fussy, but you'll get the hang of it.