WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Options

Replies

• tinalongworth
    tinalongworth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I walked ten minutes. Yay! I did more stretching this time.

Keep on keeping on, friend. You got dis! I'm proud of you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH & I stopped in at a local ice-cream store and each had one scoop of chocolate -peanutbutter Tillamook icecream. If I buy a dish, I can enjoy the treat. If I buy a carton I eat WAY too much.😳
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did Biggest Loser Killer Circuit DVD then went for a walk. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise.

Debbie – lovely outfit. You are so talented. Wish I could do that.

Lisa – how labor intensive it will be to find the price of the cookies. I know that I wouldn’t do it. How would you price out the flour, that’s what I would be thinking. And the baking soda/powder? You can figure out the eggs and chips, even brown sugar, the butter. Good luck, let me know what you come up with. I’ll let you do the work <snicker>

Heather – good for you booking that cruise!

The vet called today to express his condolences for Bonnie. That made Vince more teary. Well, time heals all wounds. I’m still hurting from Cocoa, just not as much. And Cocoa has been gone well over 20 years now.

The guys have gone to Waffle House. I just have no desire.

I have found that not only is one of my new passions seeing how many steps I can get in, another is to try to reduce the time it takes for me to walk around the block. So far it’s a little less than 1-1/2 mile and I usually do that in 35 minutes.

Ceramics tonight

Annie DE – good for you getting in 10 minutes. It’s a start, pretty soon it’ll be 15 then 20 then 25 and so on

Debbie – how sad that the kids won’t be at the funeral. I sure hope things work out for you and your mom.

Ginger – I can do real well all day, and then the evening hits and things go to pot if I let them. I have found that a few saltine crackers help as does some applesauce. I buy those individual cups and freeze them. Frozen grapes also seem to take a long time to eat.

The guy who is going to do the landscaping in front of the house came by today to video what it is that needs to be done.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed going to the French Circle - my first IRL meeting. :D The windows were open, we were masked and there was sanitizer on the tables. I spoke French the whole time to a couple of women, including one who lives in the next road. I made loads of mistakes, but kept forging on regardless. :o At least my accent is good!
    I came back on the bus with the neighbour.

I've been under calories for 4 days, so I reckon I might have lost a pound if I can do the same tomorrow. I will weigh myself on Friday. Hoping for a tiny loss.

The cruises are a year away, so we hope covid is under control by then. If not there are several levels of insured refund, and I paid the deposit by credit card just in case. I can dream until then. Tonight was the furthest I've travelled in 14 months. About 4 miles. I have just stuck to where I can walk to locally.

Terri - I think DH has had enough of all the holiday hassle too. I wonder if he will fly again. I will go on my own or with a friend for a long weekend, if I have to. I might persuade him to go abroad by train. We are so lucky to live near to both Southampton and Dover ports for the cruises, so we can be picked up at our door and don't even have to carry our own luggage! Is there nothing sailing from Belfast?
    Ireland is a gorgeous country though. I learnt a bit of Irish for a trip over to Inishmore from Galway, and it was much appreciated! We had fabulous food just about everywhere. I've been on three different trips over there, including Belfast and the North.
    I may take a couple of trips up to London in the coming months as there are some exhibitions I really fancy at the V&A and the British Museum. I will probably meet a girlfriend up there. The train from Hove takes around an hour.

I'm a bit hungry, but I'm determined to stick at my calorie limit. Bed is calling.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH & I stopped in at a local ice-cream store and each had one scoop of chocolate -peanutbutter Tillamook icecream. If I buy a dish, I can enjoy the treat. If I buy a carton I eat WAY too much.😳

that is one of my favorites too!!!
    I found a fun treat and less calories- get cool whip, add PB2 and coco powder, mix together and then put on graham crackers to make a sandwich, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze- great tasting "ice cream sandwich" Even my non-healthy eating guys really liked them
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed going to the French Circle - my first IRL meeting. :D The windows were open, we were masked and there was sanitizer on the tables. I spoke French the whole time to a couple of women, including one who lives in the next road. I made loads of mistakes, but kept forging on regardless. :o At least my accent is good!
    I came back on the bus with the neighbour.

I've been under calories for 4 days, so I reckon I might have lost a pound if I can do the same tomorrow. I will weigh myself on Friday. Hoping for a tiny loss.

The cruises are a year away, so we hope covid is under control by then. If not there are several levels of insured refund, and I paid the deposit by credit card just in case. I can dream until then. Tonight was the furthest I've travelled in 14 months. About 4 miles. I have just stuck to where I can walk to locally.

Terri - I think DH has had enough of all the holiday hassle too. I wonder if he will fly again. I will go on my own or with a friend for a long weekend, if I have to. I might persuade him to go abroad by train. We are so lucky to live near to both Southampton and Dover ports for the cruises, so we can be picked up at our door and don't even have to carry our own luggage! Is there nothing sailing from Belfast?
    Ireland is a gorgeous country though. I learnt a bit of Irish for a trip over to Inishmore from Galway, and it was much appreciated! We had fabulous food just about everywhere. I've been on three different trips over there, including Belfast and the North.
    I may take a couple of trips up to London in the coming months as there are some exhibitions I really fancy at the V&A and the British Museum. I will probably meet a girlfriend up there. The train from Hove takes around an hour.

I'm a bit hungry, but I'm determined to stick at my calorie limit. Bed is calling.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We love the fact that getting to the cruise ship that we have always gone on(only 4 times but each on the Grand Princess) is so easy to get to. We take the ferry from our town(dh drops us off there, takes his car back to his mom's just a couple blocks away and has a friend drop him off at the ferry)into San Francisco and there is just a short walk from Pier 1 to the pier where the ship is.
    When we go on our next one, not sure when, it will most likely be another one on Princess but different ship as they have rotated them.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    You are all so inspiring!
    I had my GRRRR moments at work again (SIL) but was overall a good day. I started the day with work paperwork. Was running behind and getting overwhelmed when I realized that Steve made the bed and was watering my hanging baskets! Such thoughtful help!!!! So unexpected. <3 My shoe came apart at work. I ran around in my socks except when I had to go into the back or outside. My bottom got wet taking out a mower in the rain. My SIL left at 3 even knowing I had bills to total-SMH. I had a customer comment on her attitude with me yesterday...Just another day with Miss 50%.
    Still need to do dishes, but dinner done. Reckon I should get some work done. I don't want to be doing it this weekend.
    Eat well. Sleep well. Love well.

LisaKinVA- Home sweet home! I graduated from Annandale HS. My brother is in New Market. I have now been in OH since 1987, yet still call the DC area home.

<3
    Kylia still catching up from 2 days off in Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    For now with Drew I will continue Nextguard and try to avoid woody and long grassy areas. I will also spray a peppermint solution on me and spray some of it on my hands and rub on her. I tried one time on her and could tell upset her.

Just had a great zoom sing with my choir for Memorial Day. Son and DH went to ballgame and then at on deck at our other son's house. A busy day...
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Just got my second Pfizer shot!

Machka in Oz

And today ... I feel like I’ve done an absolutely massive workout for the first time in a year and have got the worst case of DOMS.

I'm at home ... spent the morning sleeping and am trying to entertain the idea of eating.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    Rrrrrr
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: We lost our sweet old dog about the same time your lost your kitty. It seems so hard to accept the loss of loved pets, Losing a dear pet is hard. :cry:

M in OZ: I am happy to hear you’ve had your second Pfizer vaccination. It is not easy, but it is effective. We’re happy we took ours some time ago.

I miss my pup, Schooner: Losing a beloved dog is hard. It has been a little while, but my sadness has not gone away, yet. :cry:

Katla, Missing our sweet old dog.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Last night I realised I didn't know the French for 'cruise', or the Orkney Islands. So I Google Translated them this morning. A cruise is 'une croisière', and it is 'les Îles Orcades'.
    What a miracle Google Translate is! I know it makes mistakes, and, in the early days, some of the translations were laughable, but it's an amazing tool and can speak sentences out loud to you. You can have a lot of fun.

Debbie - Where did you go to? Our ships are really tiny compared to yours, only 999 passengers. Saga only takes over 50s, but most are in their 70s, or older.

DH's sister is going to ring us this evening. It's been a while since we chatted. She is on the list for a complete ankle replacement. Only a couple of surgeons can do it in the UK. She smashed it in her twenties, jumping into the sea, and hit a rock. Up until now she has managed pretty well, but she will be 68 next month. We get on very well and have missed her over lockdown.

Machka - I felt like that, mostly stayed in bed, but it only lasted a day. I'm the same with the flu jab. I bounced back better the next day though! :D I was soooo happy to be double vaxxed. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Got maybe 2 hrs sleep last night..and have been awake since 2 this morning. I am having a cup of tea and watching the local news..
    I did recieve a save the date for my 2nd cousins wedding in October in Nashville while I would love to have my brother with me ,he is a smoker and i just cant handle being in a hotel room or a car with him puffing away..
    You know I like to plan ahead so will see if i can book.hotel and car and flight all refundable in case something with my health changes
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    Allie
    - Funny you'd say that about the smoking. I started to get in the wrong car yesterday as I was leaving the store and accidentally opened the driver's side door of a silver car sitting next to my silver car. Snapped my head right back out of there. They had an ashtray in the console filled with cigarette butts, and the smell was just insanely bad. I find it hard to believe I was willing to smell like that for decades on end.

Machka
    _ That second shot pretty much took me down too, for 24 hours. Like a mini-version of the flu - fever, headache and chills in rapid succession. But I woke the next day feeling like a million bucks, so there's that.

Michele
    - Not terribly hard, and something I really enjoy, figuring out how much things actually cost. In the spoiler are a few really boring paragraphs on how to cost things out.
    For years, I've costed out things like bone-in meats. It bothers me that you're paying by the pound for a roast with bones in it that you can't eat. I've done the equations often for how much is inedible in bone-in meats vs. how much it costs for meats with the bones removed. The consumer usually comes out on top of that equation but by fairly small amounts. However, I always take that into consideration when I'm checking prices in the supermarket.

For instance, Kretchmer is selling large full hams without bones in our local supermarket for $2 a pound. To make my husband ham sandwiches for a week takes about a pound of ham. So we buy them and cut them up into one-pound chunks and freeze them. A ten-pound ham makes ten weeks of lunches for my husband, and it means I can make him a full sandwich for less than 50 cents for the meat. When I buy processed lunch meats, that price goes up over $1 per sandwich now, more than double. We also tend to buy roast beef and cook the whole roast, then slice that up for his sandwiches--much cheaper than lunch meat by the pound, better taste, and fewer chemicals.

It also annoys me that they mark up vegetables so sharply if they slice them instead of you. A veggie tray that costs $8.50 to buy is $1 of vegetables, sliced in small chunks, nothing more. Gah.

But, I know you're all waiting on tenterhooks for me to reveal that in the end, it cost me 34.5 cents to make each cookie, even with overhead (gas, electric, etc.). I'm going to sell them for $1.50 each (they're bigger around than my outstretched hand). So, for $19 cost, I can make $82 revenue. It's not a bad return. All in, it pays me at $35 an hour for actual labor. I can cope with that. And I know for sure that the items that went into them were premium and taste amazing, from the butter to the local eggs.

And Michele - now that recipes often come with measurements by weight, and items like flour also show their price per ounce in the store or online, it's easier than it's ever been to know what you're spending for anything you bake.

I'm actually feeling better myself. Tuesday night I was up every other hour, and I spent all day yesterday twanging--my gut was in spasm all day, which made me feel like I was internally vibrating from my breastbone to my pelvis and out to my ribs. Exhausting. However, I got up only once in the night last night, and felt sooooo much better this morning. My gut has settled down, and I've got the meds balanced better.

Heather - it sounds as if you're jumping back into life with both feet. Nice to hear you looking forward again.

Might make brownies today. Still deciding.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR