Exercises for muffin top ?

I’ve managed to get every other part of my body in shape but just can’t seem to shift this muffin top it’s really starting to irritate me. Can anyone suggest which exercises I could do to help with this ?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    You can't spot reduce and exercise is not for fat loss, unfortunately.

edit to add: also, if you've recently lost a considerable amount, some of that will be loose skin which you obviously can't exercise away, that's not how skin works. But some of it will tighten up over time.
  • plzfeedmecookies
    plzfeedmecookies Posts: 7 Member
    Yup, what the gorilla said. Overall, losing bf may make it go away (if it's not just extra skin), but a lot of it does depend on your genetics. It sounds like it may be the last place you lose from?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    You can't choose which parts of your body you lose fat from. For many of us, it seems like around the belly is the last to go, which is very frustrating! Depending on your weight now, you could try and lose a little more and see if that helps (which will be primarily about nutrition and not exercise).

I don't have personal experience with this yet but it's an idea I keep in the back of my mind: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat This isn't "spot reduction," but increasing your muscle mass can improve appearance.

There's also stomach vacuum exercise, which again doesn't make more fat disappear from your belly but can improve your posture and your belly's appearance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10824708/what-you-may-not-be-doing-to-get-a-flatter-stomach
  • titchy_michelle
    titchy_michelle Posts: 51 Member
    You can't spot reduce and exercise is not for fat loss, unfortunately.

edit to add: also, if you've recently lost a considerable amount, some of that will be loose skin which you obviously can't exercise away, that's not how skin works. But some of it will tighten up over time.

I’ve gained and lost a lot of weight a few times since 2001 including when I was pregnant twice I lose it aswell as working out so the only loose skin I’ve ever had is my lower stomach from having 3 c-sections this is fat round the top of my stomach that I’m trying to get rid of I’ve done the thigh, back fat and arm workouts which have had great results in those areas it’s just this one area I’m struggling with

• titchy_michelle
    You can't choose which parts of your body you lose fat from. For many of us, it seems like around the belly is the last to go, which is very frustrating! Depending on your weight now, you could try and lose a little more and see if that helps (which will be primarily about nutrition and not exercise).

I don't have personal experience with this yet but it's an idea I keep in the back of my mind: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat This isn't "spot reduction," but increasing your muscle mass can improve appearance.

There's also stomach vacuum exercise, which again doesn't make more fat disappear from your belly but can improve your posture and your belly's appearance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10824708/what-you-may-not-be-doing-to-get-a-flatter-stomach

Thank you 😊 I’ll just keep up with my current workouts and see if it shifts I just don’t want to loose anymore weight from the rest of my body.
  • titchy_michelle
    I've discovered that if I'm consistently keeping my core tight while doing anything, that helps to define my ab muscles. Whether you're walking, cleaning the house, lifting, even sitting on the couch... if I'm mindful about keeping those muscles tight throughout the day, it makes a significant difference. In the beginning, it's difficult to remember, but the more often you do it, it will just become muscle memory.

Thank you that’s great advice I do tend to keep my core tight while I’m walking but just don’t think of it in the house I’ll keep that in mind
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I’ve been doing stomach vacuum for about three months now. I feel like it has helped tremendously with loose waistline skin and muffin top, as well as posture.

I do it quite a bit, though, typically while walking. I try to hold it for half a mile, several times, during walks.

I thought it was hokum when I first read about it, but it’s been very effective. All props to @ninerbuff for bringing that one up in a post. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Man, you learn a lot of great stuff on these boards.
  • titchy_michelle
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

Thank you I’ll give that a go
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you aren't wishing to lose anymore weight to reduce your body fat you will need to add some muscle.

An overall structured routine would be more effective than selecting body parts and doing "thigh, back fat and arm workouts". That's just fitness industry marketing gibberish - there is no such thing as a back fat workout!

Fat can't be contracted or exercised, there are back muscle workouts of course.....
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    You could find clothing that fit proper. I’m 5’4” and 115lbs with some fluff at the waist, high waisted pants and shorts fit better on me. No more muffin top.
  • titchy_michelle
    You could find clothing that fit proper. I’m 5’4” and 115lbs with some fluff at the waist, high waisted pants and shorts fit better on me. No more muffin top.

I’m 4f9 and I’m 122 for now but need to get to 105 my clothes fit fine if I was to buy bigger pants they’ll fall down and be baggy in my legs it’s just this little extra weight round my stomach I need to lose
  • titchy_michelle
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you aren't wishing to lose anymore weight to reduce your body fat you will need to add some muscle.

An overall structured routine would be more effective than selecting body parts and doing "thigh, back fat and arm workouts". That's just fitness industry marketing gibberish - there is no such thing as a back fat workout!

Fat can't be contracted or exercised, there are back muscle workouts of course.....

I do want to loose weight round my stomach but no where else and I don’t have back fat that’s all been delt with like I said everything else is fine apart from this round the top of my stomach
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I do want to loose weight round my stomach but no where else and I don’t have back fat that’s all been delt with like I said everything else is fine apart from this round the top of my stomach

This is simply not biologically possible. You cannot dictate where fat comes off and you can't spot reduce fat with any specific exercise. If you're 122 and want to get down to 105 it is possible that a good chunk of that will come from the mid-section, but it will come off elsewhere as well.

The mid-section is, for many people, primary fat stores. Primary fat stores are a first on, last off kind of thing. I'm 190ish right now and I usually maintain around 180ish. That 10 Lb difference is huge where my mid-section is concerned as I have a bit of a belly at 190 and a flat stomach with no love handles at 180...but some weight also comes off my face, etc when I lose those 10 Lbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Ah, I mis-interpreted your comment.
    As you are tiny that 17lbs still to go is quite a decent percentage of your bodyweight.

You seem convinced that exercising certain muscles uses the subcutaneous fat in that area for fuel.
    Sorry but that just isn't how bodies work.

If your muffin top was the first place you gained fat then it's a good chance it's the last place to come off.
    You can work your core muscles all you like and that may well improve posture but it doesn't mean your calorie deficit will be made up from the fat stores held around your mid-section.

Patience required!
    The final few pounds do make a considerable visual difference, much more so than the first few pounds.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    Have you considered recomp?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Visual examples:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

Lifting weights to reshape is amazing, and you don’t have to kill yourself with heavy weights. My lifts are not going to win any awards, but, boy has it been effective.
  • titchy_michelle
    Have you considered recomp?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Visual examples:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

Lifting weights to reshape is amazing, and you don’t have to kill yourself with heavy weights. My lifts are not going to win any awards, but, boy has it been effective.

Thanks I’ll have a look into that the only weights I have at home is a kettlebell and didn’t want to spend money on more but I’ll see if there’s anything I can do

• titchy_michelle

Ah, I mis-interpreted your comment.
    As you are tiny that 17lbs still to go is quite a decent percentage of your bodyweight.

You seem convinced that exercising certain muscles uses the subcutaneous fat in that area for fuel.
    Sorry but that just isn't how bodies work.

If your muffin top was the first place you gained fat then it's a good chance it's the last place to come off.
    You can work your core muscles all you like and that may well improve posture but it doesn't mean your calorie deficit will be made up from the fat stores held around your mid-section.

Patience required!
    The final few pounds do make a considerable visual difference, much more so than the first few pounds.

I’ll just preserve with the abs workouts for my back fat and thighs I did exercises to target those areas which I did have the results I was looking for I hope with the last 16lb of it will come off my upper belly
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Planking is building my ab and stomach area causing my muffin top to shrink/ recomp. Everyone is different but I'm doing 90sec plank working up to 2 minutes daily. If you add side elbow planks and regular elbow planks for up to 2 minutes each per day you will likely see results. It takes a while to build up to 2 minutes though.