Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

1980s definatly, and back..Why were people more fit, toned and healthy Looking?

1810121314

Replies

  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 317 Member
    Didn’t read the entire thread yet so sorry if I’m repeating!
    I was born in’61 so I was there! People were definitely more fit then in general. A “fat” (and that’s the term used then) person was smaller then than an overweight person is now, and clearly obesity rates were much lower.
    This got me thinking so I did some research. The reports are long so I’ll sum up a little.
    Two important points:
    1) a higher percentage of meals are prepared outside the home now. Also, of meals “prepared” at home a much higher percentage are pre- packaged foods (like frozen dinners, frozen fish cakes etc).
    2) fast food chains have upped the calories in everything in order to compete with each other.

    Please see:
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/90228/eib-196.pdf
    And
    https://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(18)32383-9/fulltext
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    People use to move around more. We are more sedentary as a nation now then 50 yrs ago. Most of us work at a desk. Netflix has replaced the socialization of the past in the neighborhood. People used to cook their own food and relied less on processed food. I'm sounding like one of those old freaks, but it'skinda true
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 960 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I have absolutely nothing of value to contribute to this thread. (or much anywhere else.)

    I was just looking for an excuse to post this gif.

    It somehow makes sense here..... maybe.

    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4753fffmgpd8ro23fuc6cqgs5d67ndd3ky40u8rcqe&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g



    .

    I am old enough to have done some exercise videos that weren't too much different from these! Granted, when I bought them they may have been a tiny bit outdated, but I did buy these Cher video brand new:

    https://sarahmn.tumblr.com/post/145270932272/umis-the-internet-aware-of-chers-workout-video
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 6,487 Member
    Commonly seen on TV when I was a kidu2p36wrw07y2.jpeg
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Back in the day, actors, actresses, models, etc were forced to work out and bein shape to get and keep their jobs.

    Today, political correctness means that we have to celebrate fat people. You see, there are more fat people to sell to than fit people, and we would certainly not want to "hurt anyone's feelings" by putting someone healthy and fit out into the public eye. Fattie Mae might break down and eat all the donuts.

    Just my 2 cents worth.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,932 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

    In the 1980s and before, people were required to move more in their jobs and daily lives (less automation, less market penetration of the automation that did exist). They also moved more, on average, via leisure-time recreation in the pre-internet/fewer-screens world of the time. In the 1980s and before, the 24x7 ubiquitous availability of gazillions of snacks was not even close to what it is now, and there was less social expectation/acceptance of people eating or drinking nearly constantly in virtually all situations.

    The McDonalds here used to close at 10 PM. Now the drive through is 24 hour. No drive through back then, you had to park your car and walk inside to get takeout. When I was in high school we would walk about a mile to go there occasionally, probably burned half the extra calories we ate.

    And now you can do it all from your phone. The only steps involved are from the couch to the front door...
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,612 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    I don’t agree at all Jess, people don’t even know what a healthy body looks like even now, people were tearing apart Camila Cabello for being overweight and disgusting recently when she’s almost certainly at a healthy weight (I’m underweight and only a little thinner than her). The “healthy and fit” perfect woman of the moment usually shows up in a documentary a few years later talking about their eating disorder and how miserable they were at the time 😕. Even so, it’s not political correctness gone mad to also show representation for the majority of people instead of pretending thin bodies are the only ones which exist

    I am not talking about a representation, I am talking about "fit shaming". Fat shaming used to be status quo, and it was wrong. But now, it seems like people are shamed for wanting to be fit, because it makes the fat people feel bad about themselves. I have nothing against anyone, regardless of their size. That being said, I am tired of being criticized for being in shape, and wanting to stay that way. If someone loves themselves the way they are, good on them. But don't tell me that I make someone else self conscious because I work my *kitten* off to stay healthy and in shape. If they don't want a reminder of how they look, they can do something about it. Its not my job to make them feel good about themselves. And it is not society's job either. People need to take whatever steps that they need to take in order to feel good about themselves.

    Disclaimer: that is my opinion, and I am fully aware that having an opinion does not necessarily make me right.

    Oh I agree with you there. I’ve never seen that happen before but it’s totally moving in the wrong direction, demonising any kind of body is not helping anyone

    Agreed. I actually have gotten some comments that I must have hated myself to lose weight. It was the opposite, actually. I decided I should take care of me to at least the level I would one of my pets - meaning a decent diet and some movement.

    No one needs to be shamed. Everyone deserves to be treated with basic human decency and fundamental respect. No one's self-worth as a person needs to be linked to what their body looks like or how well it works.

    But also leave me alone and stop telling me what my motives are.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    I don’t agree at all Jess, people don’t even know what a healthy body looks like even now, people were tearing apart Camila Cabello for being overweight and disgusting recently when she’s almost certainly at a healthy weight (I’m underweight and only a little thinner than her). The “healthy and fit” perfect woman of the moment usually shows up in a documentary a few years later talking about their eating disorder and how miserable they were at the time 😕. Even so, it’s not political correctness gone mad to also show representation for the majority of people instead of pretending thin bodies are the only ones which exist

    I am not talking about a representation, I am talking about "fit shaming". Fat shaming used to be status quo, and it was wrong. But now, it seems like people are shamed for wanting to be fit, because it makes the fat people feel bad about themselves. I have nothing against anyone, regardless of their size. That being said, I am tired of being criticized for being in shape, and wanting to stay that way. If someone loves themselves the way they are, good on them. But don't tell me that I make someone else self conscious because I work my *kitten* off to stay healthy and in shape. If they don't want a reminder of how they look, they can do something about it. Its not my job to make them feel good about themselves. And it is not society's job either. People need to take whatever steps that they need to take in order to feel good about themselves.

    Disclaimer: that is my opinion, and I am fully aware that having an opinion does not necessarily make me right.

    Does "fit shaming" really exist anywhere except on social media? I have never, ever experienced this, but I'm not on Facebook or any of that crap. Where are you being shamed for being fit?

    The reality is that being fit is still preferred in our society. Overweight/obese people are less likely to be hired, earn less money, and are passed over for promotions.

    I'm sorry, but fat shaming still IS the status quo.

    WE will have to agree to disagree.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    Back in the day, actors, actresses, models, etc were forced to work out and bein shape to get and keep their jobs.

    Today, political correctness means that we have to celebrate fat people. You see, there are more fat people to sell to than fit people, and we would certainly not want to "hurt anyone's feelings" by putting someone healthy and fit out into the public eye. Fattie Mae might break down and eat all the donuts.

    Just my 2 cents worth.

    Oh yes, the days of forced anorexia to keep your job was much better! And long gone, too! Nowadays, you never see an underweight model, right? Amirite?

    Are you really suggesting that there is no longer any pressure on actors, models, media personalities, etc, to be thin? Are you being serious when you say that "fat people" are now preferred in these professions?

    Two words.

    Kate

    Upton

    Very beautiful young lady. If you took a measure of her body fat content, she would be considered obese. Nothing whatsoever fit about her. And she is not the only one.

    I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. Just that there is no longer the pressure to remain fit in order to be on TV or in a magazine. I believe that is the difference between now and the 80's as this post topic stated. Society, the media, the government, want to be sure not to hurt the feelings of anyone.

    Call me shallow, but I don't want to see a 235#, 5'4" woman modeling a bikini in a magazine or advertisement, and I guarantee you I won't be inclined to buy that bikini if I do see it. But the other side DOES want to see it, because it makes them feel good about themselves, and industry is selling to that side because they grossly (no pun intended) outweigh (no pun intended) the fit side.

    Well, maybe pun intended.

    Disclaimer: that is my opinion, and I am fully aware that having an opinion does not necessarily make me right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    I don’t agree at all Jess, people don’t even know what a healthy body looks like even now, people were tearing apart Camila Cabello for being overweight and disgusting recently when she’s almost certainly at a healthy weight (I’m underweight and only a little thinner than her). The “healthy and fit” perfect woman of the moment usually shows up in a documentary a few years later talking about their eating disorder and how miserable they were at the time 😕. Even so, it’s not political correctness gone mad to also show representation for the majority of people instead of pretending thin bodies are the only ones which exist

    I am not talking about a representation, I am talking about "fit shaming". Fat shaming used to be status quo, and it was wrong. But now, it seems like people are shamed for wanting to be fit, because it makes the fat people feel bad about themselves. I have nothing against anyone, regardless of their size. That being said, I am tired of being criticized for being in shape, and wanting to stay that way. If someone loves themselves the way they are, good on them. But don't tell me that I make someone else self conscious because I work my *kitten* off to stay healthy and in shape. If they don't want a reminder of how they look, they can do something about it. Its not my job to make them feel good about themselves. And it is not society's job either. People need to take whatever steps that they need to take in order to feel good about themselves.

    Disclaimer: that is my opinion, and I am fully aware that having an opinion does not necessarily make me right.

    Does "fit shaming" really exist anywhere except on social media? I have never, ever experienced this, but I'm not on Facebook or any of that crap. Where are you being shamed for being fit?

    The reality is that being fit is still preferred in our society. Overweight/obese people are less likely to be hired, earn less money, and are passed over for promotions.

    I'm sorry, but fat shaming still IS the status quo.

    WE will have to agree to disagree.

    I've been slender since 2015. I guess this is the sort of thing that will vary according to your social circle and family structure, but I've never gotten any criticism for being slender or regularly exercising, while I know it's routine for obese people to get all sorts of unwanted criticism and comments on their weight.

    Does it happen? I mean, all sorts of unusual things happen in the world, so I'm not going to say it never happens.

    But it's not like the tables have flipped and slender people are now the victims.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member



    NO ONE should have to fight to be treated like a human or treated as disgusting because they're not attractive - and especially because they're not healthy.

    Agree, 100%