Amount of weight possible to lose?

Hi all, new to dieting. In the past year i have gained 4 stone making my working mobility very hard. Now is diet time just to lose enough to get back exercising comfortably.
I weigh 110kg and usually consume 3000+ cals a day.
I have cut my calories to 1640 a day just now and an eating no processed food. I have cut carbs to 10-15% a day so almost trying to make diet keto although i wont have entered ketosis as i am still eating sugary fruits and the odd wholemeal bread etc. How much weight can i expect to lose or is there a calculation i can do to calculate weight loss? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2021
    Go to the goals section in the My Home menu and set a goal of 80kg at 1 kg a month. Get your daily calories goal and ignore nutrition, carbs, processed food and everything else but calories. When you get to 80kg you can worry about that stuff.
  • cazzzyboy
    cazzzyboy Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all. It does all make sense. My trouble is that im so heavy just now i have sore hips, knees and my belly gets in the way so it is actually debilitating me. I do understand that i may be trying to lose too much too quick but if i can shift say 1-1.5 stone quickly then i would alter the diet to maintain that weight at least while i got back out running, swimming and cycling. Just now though, these things are too hard to do. 😱 As well as lock down i did also stop smoking in november which has probably added to the weight gain. Id rather a rash diet for a month or so than start smoking again. 💪🏽
  • cazzzyboy
    cazzzyboy Posts: 3 Member
    As it stands i am the most fatigued i have ever been. I am 5'11" and normally when pretty fit weigh between 14 and 15 stone but still look over weight then so slightly under 14 is where im aiming for but not drastically. I have been running/ walking 5k on the treadmill each day this week so adding my calories for that back on to diet so probably consuming nearer 2000 at the moment.
    I looking at everyones advice though, maybe i should be looking at the 2lb per week loss just instead although i will get bored of dieting pretty quick and probably give up. Im only exited just now as it seems to be rapid weight loss im aiming for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    cazzzyboy wrote: »
    As it stands i am the most fatigued i have ever been. I am 5'11" and normally when pretty fit weigh between 14 and 15 stone but still look over weight then so slightly under 14 is where im aiming for but not drastically. I have been running/ walking 5k on the treadmill each day this week so adding my calories for that back on to diet so probably consuming nearer 2000 at the moment.
    I looking at everyones advice though, maybe i should be looking at the 2lb per week loss just instead although i will get bored of dieting pretty quick and probably give up. Im only exited just now as it seems to be rapid weight loss im aiming for.

One way to "not get bored of dieting" is to think in terms of how you're going to eat to first reach then *permanently maintain* a healthy weight. You want to find strategies that are relatively easy, keep you reasonably happy, so they're sustainable. Weight management is not a project with an end date, after which you "go back to normal".

That kind of thinking is how people yo-yo in weight over and over again, which is terrible for your health long term. (I'm speaking as someone who's now 65, have seen what the consequences can be - though thankfully I didn't go that route myself (I stayed fat until 5 years ago, which was bad, but I think not as bad as the yo-yo-ing). Among my friends my age, it's sadly common for those with that kind of history to be obese; mobility limited; be taking drugs for diabetes/high blood pressure and more; unable to eat/drink what they'd like because of health conditions or drug interactions; be sick more often; need more surgeries and recover from them more slowly; and more.)

You don't want that kind of future for yourself, I'm thinking? If not, get on a better permanent course now. Your future self will thank you.

I'm glad to hear you've found some exercise you can do, and 2000 calories sounds better. Even more might be even better, given that you're already fatigued (that's a warning sign). Losing any meaningful amount of weight, while keeping health risks in check, is a long run proposition, weeks to months, even at a fast loss rate. More likely to succeed by picking an easier, more sustainable route that doesn't take so much motivation/willpower, IMO. Find sustainable new habits, lose weight with those habits, stay there permanently. That's less net pain and trouble over the course of your life than extreme diet, fail, regain, repeated and repeated. Think about it.

Keto or low carb is optional. Weight loss is all about calories (but overall good nutrition is important for health, of course). How processed food is doesn't much matter for either weight loss or nutrition. (Some processed foods are high in calories, low in nutrients, not very filling: That combination is unhelpful. But there are processed foods with a good nutrient profile that can fit in.) Weight loss doesn't have to include all possible forms of self denial: Excess fat is not a sin, you don't need to suffer to expiate it.

You still didn't say, I think, how old you are. If you're 25, at your current weight/height, your BMR (basal metabolic rate, amount you'd burn in a coma) is probably 2200+. With the treadmill daily, and a normal daily life (which also burns calories), your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, calories you burn in a day in all ways) is likely over 3000, well over if you have a physically active job. If you're younger, it could be somewhat higher; if older, somewhat lower.

When I lost weight back in 2015-16, as a 59-60 year old 5'5" woman, I lost most of 50+ pounds on 1400-1600 calories *plus* a few hundred exercise calories most days, so around the 2000 gross intake you're eating. I admit that I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner, but what do you think are the odds that you need fewer calories than I do? (I'd still lose on 2000 gross calorie intake, admittedly slowly, but I weighed 122-point-something pounds this morning.)

If you're going for 14 stone, using the same assumptions as above, your future weight maintenance calories might be in the 2900-3100 range without a physically active job, but with something like the treadmill for exercise. You should use MFP to get a calorie goal, not including exercise in your activity setting, then log the exercise . . . but go with that 2 pounds a week for now, at most, IMO.

Your life, your call, though. Best wishes!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    cazzzyboy wrote: »

You and I have very similar numbers. I started at 242 pounds and have maintained 176 for two years following a year and a half of weight loss solely based on calorie reduction initially to 2420 per day, now maintaining at 1720 per day. I feel great. My recommendation for you of 80kg was bang on. You don't need exercise beyond a couple miles of walking a day with your already sore hips and joints, And, you don't need Keto or veganism or any other isms. Your weight loss goals are a path to failure. You can follow the goofy advice from others above or your own misguided notions or you can restore your health with a sensible plan.