Anyone doing The Galveston Diet?

I started The Galveston Diet 6 weeks ago. Though challenging I’m doing ok. Wondered if anyone else is doing it?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'd never heard of it before, and found this interesting: https://abbylangernutrition.com/the-galveston-diet-review-menopause-is-the-new-diet-cash-cow/

Most of it seems like some nutrition misinformation (outlined at the link) plus a decently healthy diet (although restricting fruit for any reason other than simply personally enjoying low carb is a pet peeve). If one's diet doesn't already include 25-30 g of fiber, lots of veg, fatty fish, and lean meat, adding in those foods could cause one to lose. In that a lot of it is basically like how I eat anyway, I can't imagine just focusing on eating those foods would help with weight loss, but there certainly are people who could benefit and would improve the nutritional content of their diets.

It seems like she's not too unreasonable on the IFing -- she thinks there may be some hormonal benefits but acknowledges cals are what cause weight loss and there's no evidence that IFing with the same cals has any weight loss benefits.

My main issue is that it seems awfully expensive for a meal plan that one could easily create on one's own, but eh. Each to their own.

That link should be very useful for anyone considering the Galveston diet!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    kingscrown wrote: »
    I started The Galveston Diet 6 weeks ago. Though challenging I’m doing ok. Wondered if anyone else is doing it?

I'm not doing that specific diet, but I did do something similar earlier this year for several weeks. Low carb, no grains except quinoa, no dairy, low sugar, nothing to eat after dinner - sounds the same? It was tough to stick to but I did lose 20 lbs fairly quickly. I've plateaued now that I have gone off of it (but at least I haven't gained it back.)
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    @juliedubya28 I have no idea what the first poster is talking about. Yes, you do need pay for the instructions to the diet and why not. Someone has done the research. There is a "The Galveston Diet" FB group. Its mainly I suspect to learn about it and see if it will work for you. If you have tiktok, Dr Haver talks all about The Galveston Diet. Its her research. So far so good it's working for me. Why it made sense to me is I was basically doing it, but didn't have all the pieces put together. I've been eating paleo. I've cut back on sugar. I've been not eating in the evenings for my GERD. Definitely, look into it. It is not restrictive at all. You can eat as much as you want following the parameters of The Galveston Diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    kingscrown wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's not remotely like The Galveston Diet.

Perhaps it would be an idea for you to explain what it is then?

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    @kshama2001 that link is so ridiculous it’s embarrassing. So many things said just to be dramatic not factual.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    @33gail33 It is about doing an intermittent Fast, cutting sugar, increasing fiber (veggies). It's really a good livable plan. Not expensive. No re-ocurring fee. So way cheaper than any plan I've ever tried over the years. Its also for menopausal women. So I'm not sure what all the mansplaining about menopausal women's bodies is in this thread. Not sure why they're here, but it's a diet that really would be healthy and affordable for you too. Welcome.
    no correct information has been posted in this group about this diet by other people. Its not restrictive at all. Its for reducing inflammation in menopausal women's bodies and therefore helping us lose the stubborn weight. It's not expensive. There's nothing to buy really but the instructions on how to do it. It's more of a method of eating than a diet.

I am a post menopausal woman - started losing weight in 2013 when I was a peri menopausal woman, kept it off ever since.

Did not buy any diet plan, just followed free MFP calorie counting method - way cheaper than any other plan since free.
    Healthy as you like and affordable and since I didnt notice any inflammation in my post menopausal body compared to my pre menopausal body, reducing inflammation was not an issue for me

Nor was 'stubborn weight' - it came off at a slow and steady pace, jut like it does for other people who are not menopausal women, if they eat at an appropriate calorie deficit.

PS a 'method of eating' by definition is a diet.

OK. It's great for you that menopause hasn't had a detrimental effect on your body - I am jealous.

Since menopause I have developed frozen shoulder, osteoarthritis, insomnia, hot flashes, chronic rhino-sinusitis and last year post viral fatigue syndrome. And skin cancer. Reducing inflammation is a huge factor for me, up there with weight loss. I am 56 and feel like I have aged 20 years since I turned 50.

The anti-inflammatory type diet I mentioned I was on for 8 weeks (which sounds very similar to the one in the OP) allowed me to straighten my knee completely for the first time in several years, and also reduced bloating and increased energy - along with losing 20 lbs. I started exercising again a couple of weeks into it which is key for me.

And yes a "method of eating" is a diet - therefore we are all technically on a diet.