Anyone doing The Galveston Diet?

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kingscrown wrote: »
    @33gail33 for my frozen shoulders from too much bootcamp classes over 6-8 years in my 50's I quit them and started pilates as recommended by a massage therapist. They asked me why I was pounding my body so hard for a woman my age. hmmmm. I did pilates for nearly 4 years in the first year both my shoulders were back to normal. My left in 6 months and my right took nearly a year before I could one day reach up and open my morning blinds without a catch. Pilates was gentle and they showed me the proper way to use my shoulders.

Interesting thanks. My frozen shoulders were "idiopathic" as I didn't have an injury, but I have since learned that menopause is a factor. They have long since healed and I have almost complete mobility back now. The first one took about 18 months, and three cortisone shots in the second one stopped it from freezing completely before it got as bad as the first.

Hard to believe that I had just started training for my first sprint triathlon back then when the shoulders went. Never got back there. :(

My shoulders turned out to be not an injury either. Like you I was at my most fit training to win a weight lifting contest for my age (55) and my shoulders just slowly but surely were in excruciating pain. What I know now was from over training in the wrong direction. Never went back either.

I did get cortisone twice in the worst shoulder hoping it would allow me to surf on a Hawaii trip. Cortisone gave me minimal relief so I never did it again. I caught 3 waves and hubs got great pictures. I had to tell my daughter that the paddling out was excruciating for me. She was on her own. It was fun to watch her though.

It being caused my menopause never occurred to or was spoken by any of my health professionals! I had to treat myself. It certainly sounds plausible with the change in hormones.

I sure hope you get your shoulders healed. Living with arms that operated only in the T-Rex zone was miserable!
  • kingscrown
    @AnnPT77
    I agree with the point someone else made that menopause seems to be becoming a strong marketing focus for diet, exercise, supplement, and other health products/services. It's in those marketers' interests to link many, many possible bad things to menopause, in that context. I'm skeptical, in a generic sense - a caveat emptor sense - that all the claimed causation links are real, or statistically significant. That's not an observation about any particular person. But when something is marketed as extra good for menopausal women, for me warning lights come on.

Again this diet is based on real science. Based on real medical studies written by real doctors that everyone can read if they want to put in the time. They point you to every study.

Not enough is said about menopausal women and how they suffer. We're supposed to just sweat our balls off and just get through it. Yes, there are quacks that want to sell things to not just menopausal woman, but to all people feeling they need a quick fix.

There's no magic pill. No magic diet. No magic hormone replacement. There's exercise and dietary tweaks that can help alleviate the discomfort suffered... not for a year or 2 but for years by menopausal women. Will it help all... no, but I thought it was worth a try or myself.

I like being active. I like fitting into my pants. My body does not like exercising like I'm 25 to fit in said pants. So far this diet has me working smarter not harder.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    @33gail33 for my frozen shoulders from too much bootcamp classes over 6-8 years in my 50's I quit them and started pilates as recommended by a massage therapist. They asked me why I was pounding my body so hard for a woman my age. hmmmm. I did pilates for nearly 4 years in the first year both my shoulders were back to normal. My left in 6 months and my right took nearly a year before I could one day reach up and open my morning blinds without a catch. Pilates was gentle and they showed me the proper way to use my shoulders.

Interesting thanks. My frozen shoulders were "idiopathic" as I didn't have an injury, but I have since learned that menopause is a factor. They have long since healed and I have almost complete mobility back now. The first one took about 18 months, and three cortisone shots in the second one stopped it from freezing completely before it got as bad as the first.

Hard to believe that I had just started training for my first sprint triathlon back then when the shoulders went. Never got back there. :(

My shoulders turned out to be not an injury either. Like you I was at my most fit training to win a weight lifting contest for my age (55) and my shoulders just slowly but surely were in excruciating pain. What I know now was from over training in the wrong direction. Never went back either.

I did get cortisone twice in the worst shoulder hoping it would allow me to surf on a Hawaii trip. Cortisone gave me minimal relief so I never did it again. I caught 3 waves and hubs got great pictures. I had to tell my daughter that the paddling out was excruciating for me. She was on her own. It was fun to watch her though.

It being caused my menopause never occurred to or was spoken by any of my health professionals! I had to treat myself. It certainly sounds plausible with the change in hormones.

I sure hope you get your shoulders healed. Living with arms that operated only in the T-Rex zone was miserable!

It's to late for you now, but maybe someone else will benefit: My first cortisone shot was into the tendon and had minimal benefit. The second one was directly in the CAPSULE and that is what helped more. Although honestly after the amount of pain that I had even the freezing for the shot and the couple of days relief it gave me was worth it. Having pain free shoulders for even a short time I described as like I 'died and went to heaven'. Honestly going through the frozen shoulder experience gave me empathy for those that live with chronic pain - it was the most brutal pain I have ever experienced (and that includes two herniated disks and three 10 lb babies!)
    Glad it is in the past - for both of us. :smile:
  • kingscrown
    @wunderkindking you’re getting warmer.
  • kingscrown
    @33gail33 hahaha I had a 9 pound baby in less than 3 hours. She cracked my tail bone. That took a couple years to get over.

I had a shoulder surgeon do my cortisone he bragged that it had to go into capsule. So I hope he got it there. I do know my GP Git the tendon only. It was a waste.

Like you said thank God we’re past that pain. I got a temper-pedic mattress during that time as I couldn't lay in any position comfortable on a regular mattress. Hubs hates it because it’s hot, but it’s so comfy still.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Hi there! I just started the Galveston Diet, I am in boot camp right now, just trying to learn about Intermittent fasting. I am excited about this journey.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    First of all, we eat what we want, not what is good for the body. From childhood, so many unnecessary things accumulate in the body. And then it pours out in our female problems. We think about it too late, when nothing can be fixed, or it's difficult.

But isn’t this a direct result of “eating what we want”?

And it wasn’t difficult to “fix”. I was well past menopause, and it really just took sitting up and paying attention for a change to what I was stuffing in my gob.
  • mborzone123
    mborzone123 Posts: 3 Member
    I started the Galveston Diet two weeks ago. I got the book out of the library and applied the simple framework. It's the only thing that has moved the scale in over 5 years. I'm post menopausal and for people to suggest that it's caloric deficit is simply ignorant of the impact of menopause on weight gain and loss. The combo of IF and the 10/70/20 ratio and high fiber has helped me drop 5 lbs in one week. I only have a total of 15 to lose and the last 15 are the hardest. I'm excited to lose all the weight I gained from menopause and an ankle injury (no exercise). I'm a big fan of this eating plan.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    I started the Galveston Diet two weeks ago. I got the book out of the library and applied the simple framework. It's the only thing that has moved the scale in over 5 years. I'm post menopausal and for people to suggest that it's caloric deficit is simply ignorant of the impact of menopause on weight gain and loss. The combo of IF and the 10/70/20 ratio and high fiber has helped me drop 5 lbs in one week. I only have a total of 15 to lose and the last 15 are the hardest. I'm excited to lose all the weight I gained from menopause and an ankle injury (no exercise). I'm a big fan of this eating plan.

I'm going to guess that the 10 or the 20 in this ratio are carbs (although 70 sounds extremely high for protein)? Which would explain the rapid weight loss certainly in large part by the loss of water weight. I'm wondering how many calories you're consuming.

I'm also curious to see how you've gotten on in a few months.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

I'm going to guess that the 10 or the 20 in this ratio are carbs (although 70 sounds extremely high for protein)? Which would explain the rapid weight loss certainly in large part by the loss of water weight. I'm wondering how many calories you're consuming.

I think the 70 is fats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited May 2023
    Lietchi wrote: »

I was curious about the 10/70/20 ratio and found this, which I am only quoting and by no means endorsing:

https://www.getthegloss.com/health/galveston-diet-for-menopausal-women

"70% healthy fats, 20% lean protein, 10% carbohydrates"
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think the 70 is fats.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I was curious about the 10/70/20 ratio and found this, which I am only quoting and by no means endorsing:

https://www.getthegloss.com/health/galveston-diet-for-menopausal-women

"70% healthy fats, 20% lean protein, 10% carbohydrates"

Ah right, that does sound more reasonable, at least where protein is concerned. And low carb as I thought.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    The Galveston Diet website is a giant push to pay for diet plans and coaching and supplements. While divulging nothing about the diet, I did find this headline within the site:

"End The Vicious Cycle Of Calorie Restriction" lol lol

No thanks.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,884 Member
    Is 10% doable? On a practical basis, doesn't that rule out all grains positively, all fruits probably, dairy? With only 20% protein, it would limit meat somewhat. I know this part is short duration, but what foods can you eat to make even one day that skewed? Just wondering.
    Maybe when you pay for it, they tell you exactly what to eat.