Any 1200 calorie petite girls?

Replies

• sdailly13
    sdailly13 Posts: 37 Member
    Heath first. You can loose 2lbs a week if you want too. Keeping it off is about realising your life has changed and you can't allow yourself to eat as a comfort because something that day has upset or even overwelmed you to the point where you think we'll why shouldn't I just eat a chocolate bar for instance. That chocolate bar won't solve a bad day. Best to be strong and feel better you didn't. The results in the long run will bring so much more good feeling than that second of just thinking why not. It's a battle but one that is worth winning. Stay strong and don't give up. xxx
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    This puzzles me. I'm 51, 5'4 and, OK, my bmi is 25 but maintenance calories are 1800 at lightly active for me - currently working on losing half a pound a week and it's a rare day that I'm constrained to just 1530kcal.

I can understand much shorter women struggling a little with mfp's 1200 limit but for women around my height it surely shouldn't be too difficult unless you're already at the lower end of a healthy bmi - at which point, if you're healthy, you should be looking to exercise more than a restrictive diet if you want to make your shape more aesthetically pleasing.
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    I am 5"1' and 51. I weighed 170lbs at the start of December 2020. I dieted on around 1600 going down to 1400 calories for 10 weeks and lost 10lbs. I then did a diet break/reverse diet for 5 weeks and brought my calories up to 2100. My weight stayed constant for the first 3 weeks then went up to 161.5lbs. I had intended to bring my calories up a bit higher but I didn't like seeing the increase on the scales, especially since I still have a lot of weight to lose.

This week is the 2nd week of my new diet and I am 160lbs again and averaging 2000 calories a day. I intend to stay at this amount of calories for another 4 weeks then I will have a 2 week break at 2200-2300 calories.

I got the inspiration to do this after finding out that other short women have slowly increased their calories and been able to lose weight at a more comfortable calorie intake.
  • Babeskeez_
    Babeskeez_ Posts: 6 Member
    OliveSalt wrote: »
    Im looking for other petite gals that have a daily calorie goal of 1200! Lets support each other in our really tricky quest of getting a nutrient dense intake on such a small margin.

And before you come at me with pitchforks, heres my stats:

36 yr old mama
    Height: 5ft 0 inches, petite frame
    Current weight: 131
    Goal weight: 110

We are almost the same look. I am same age, 5 1 and 128. My goal is 115 but id love to be 110.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    edited June 2021
    This is an interesting thread...I'm glad @zilipah revived it.

First off, @zilipah you look amazing! I can't believe you still have 10lbs to go.

My experience seems slightly different from the rest of you.

I will be considered petite once I reach my goal weight of 57 kg (BMI 23.7)

Height: 155cm (just under 5'1")
    Current weight: 84kg (BMI 35.0)

My BMR is currently 1,373 and my TDEE is 2,293 (167% of BMR). I've been eating a calorie restricted diet (averages 1,400 cals/day) for the past 12 weeks. In that time I've lost 12kg (average of 2.2lbs per week).

According to the scooby calculator, I need to be doing '5-6 hours/week of strenuous cardio' to achieve this TDEE. In reality, I walk the dog at a 3.2mph pace for 90 minutes a day, and I potter in the garden for a couple of hours a week (a bit of weeding here, the odd spot of digging there. Nothing major). Maybe once a week I'll go for a 30 minute cycle ride at a slow 12mph pace.

So sometimes the calculators can get it wrong.

If (it's a big 'if') my TDEE remains at 167% of BMR, once I reach goal my BMR should be around 1,100 and my maintenance TDEE should be around 1,837.

If my calorie burn from NEAT/EAT drops sharply (say, by 50%) to lower my TDEE to 133% of BMR, I should be able to maintain on 1,463 calories/day. That's roughly what I'm eating at the moment, and I consider that sufficient calories for me to sustain long term.

Though, of course, I'd prefer to maintain on 1,837 than 1,463.

I can't understand why you much younger women have such a low TDEE - are you very sedentary? If so, could you consider ways to increase your calorie burn from NEAT/EAT so that you can allow yourselves a higher calorie budget?

• crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    I am 69 and 5.3 and weighed 167. Eating 1200 to 1400 per day. Moderste exercise. I have been stuck at 167 give or take for a year. I just switched to paleo and in 2 days i lost 2 pounds. 165 now. I hope its a sign of change.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member

First off, @zilipah you look amazing! I can't believe you still have 10lbs to go.

My BMR is currently 1,373 and my TDEE is 2,293 (167% of BMR). I've been eating a calorie restricted diet (averages 1,400 cals/day) for the past 12 weeks. In that time I've lost 12kg (average of 2.2lbs per week).

According to the scooby calculator, I need to be doing '5-6 hours/week of strenuous cardio' to achieve this TDEE. In reality, I walk the dog at a 3.2mph pace for 90 minutes a day, and I potter in the garden for a couple of hours a week (a bit of weeding here, the odd spot of digging there. Nothing major). Maybe once a week I'll go for a 30 minute cycle ride at a slow 12mph pace.

If (it's a big 'if') my TDEE remains at 167% of BMR, once I reach goal my BMR should be around 1,100 and my maintenance TDEE should be around 1,837.

If my calorie burn from NEAT/EAT drops sharply (say, by 50%) to lower my TDEE to 133% of BMR, I should be able to maintain on 1,463 calories/day. That's roughly what I'm eating at the moment, and I consider that sufficient calories for me to sustain long term.

I can't understand why you much younger women have such a low TDEE - are you very sedentary? If so, could you consider ways to increase your calorie burn from NEAT/EAT so that you can allow yourselves a higher calorie budget?

I don't know how big an if that is, actually. Nothing is a sure thing, certainly, but my NEAT has gone steadily UP with weight loss. I know, I know, it takes fewer calories to maintain a smaller body.

The thing is, in spite of being relatively active lifestyle wise (dog sports, dog training, just owning the high energy dogs), as weight came off I felt better in various ways - knees didn't hurt, breathing was easier, I sleep at night and wake up rested, etc. So, I move more in general. More inclined to bounce up the stairs than trudge, I don't put off trips up them so I do them more, etc.

I've done maintenance breaks every 5lbs for just shy of 50lbs worth of loss and my maintenance calories have gone UP to stop loss during a few of those. not the early loss no, but the last few I did *added* about 300 calories a day.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

Trust me, we wish for a higher TDEE! I maintain at around 1450 with about 8,000 steps a day. I used to be able to get 12,000-15,000 steps on a few days from doing long hikes and things but I have a back injury now and can’t do that. On those days, I would maintain around 1750 but that amount of activity wasn’t realistic for me on a daily basis.

When I had COVID and was quarantined at home I was more sedentary although still busy at home doing chores and things and maintained at around 1250. I’m 38, 5’0” and those stats are when I was 140 lbs. I’m pregnant now so not eating in a deficit. I have no thyroid condition or any health issues. My body is just efficient at maintaining on a low amount. That’s why it has been hard to lose the weight. I was typically hungry all the time even at maintenance and never had the calories in a day to ever indulge in what I really wanted.
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    I love this thread!!!!!!!!

I am 5'2" and 53 yo. At the moment, I weigh 152.4. MFP has given my a calorie budget of 1320. I have lost about 9 pounds since March 27th.

At first I was eating about 1400 calories, maybe more maybe less, each day. But as I picked up the intensity of my workouts and built muscle, it became too hard to eat that little. Right now I am eating about 1650 average calories each day. I am both loosing weight and building muscle.

My goals are to age gracefully and get fit/trim. I don't care if my hair turns grey or my face ages. That's all normal part of aging that I can't control. I can control my weight.

To all the women who feel stuck at 1200 calories, remember to keep active and build muscle. Strong muscles burn calories and increase your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (aka TDEE). For us short women (petite), all the little tips and tricks make a difference.

xoxo
  • CycleMomOf3
    CycleMomOf3 Posts: 336 Member
    I'm at 1200 calories too, not eating exercise calories. At first, it was a bit challenging, but now that I've figured out what works for me, it sometimes feels like an awful lot of food! ♡♡♡ Finding more bang for the buck foods! :)
  • zilipah
    zilipah Posts: 3 Member
  • zilipah
    zilipah Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you @Bella_Figura I’m new year and still trying to figure this community part out.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I'm 5'1.5 and 132-135 pounds. I'm not wanting to lose any more weight, but I'm struggling to go over 1200 since I had to cut out gluten and alcoholic drinks!
  • memeq2
    memeq2 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello. I'm 58 YO. I'm 5'1" I'm not worried about going below 1200 cal per day for short term. I know I can increase calories once I get to my goal and want to maintain. I cut out all junk food. I eat healthy fat (nuts & seeds), low fat/non fat dairy and veggies. I am slowly losing but at least it is steady.
  • lianatherunner
    lianatherunner Posts: 45 Member
    Hmm. I am 5'0" and 127 lbs. I'm quite active and MFP has my calorie budget at 1600!

I used to weigh 250 lbs and it did take me years to lose weight. It's basically at a crawl now (my goal is 115) but I found that I'm far more successful in the long-run if I don't cut calories too much. If I go too low, then I tend to regain if I dare go up in calories, even for a brief time.
  • Littleloz34
    Littleloz34 Posts: 41 Member
    Bump