Do you think it's body shaming...

Options

Replies

• cease_warren2011
    cease_warren2011 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Body shaming can be on both sides of the spectrum. If we can get upset by someone suggesting that an overweight person, should put down a cheeseburger, then yes, telling someone to eat a cheeseburger can be just as rude. I'm not overly sensitive in general but just because im not offended by certain things doesn't mean I should assume it won't offend someone else. You never know what someone is struggling with internally so its always wise to think before you speak! Plus bulding someone up feels better than tearing someone down!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. :) Best part of this thread is I'm suddenly british (a prat).

Ok, this is the background of my question.

A female has been linked to a singer so pics of this person have been posted and instagram accounts checked out and stuff like that. This woman was getting hate from fans of the singer and hit back by trolling them. Someone on a website got on her case about it but I said I loved how she was fighting the fans bs back. She's a diet blogger with a book out and fans were leaving bad reviews. She was wearing yoga clothes in one of the pictures of her posted. That's why I commented she should eat a cheeseburger. Her top half just looked so thin! (And I apparently have some jewish mother in me. :) )
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    bufnitzoiu wrote: »
    I think some peoaple are too sensitive...

Post Reported !
  • bufnitzoiu
    bufnitzoiu Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Post Reported !

Here's some candy!:))
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options

Post Reported !

Oh you done it now
  • bby_dvll
    bby_dvll Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    if it is personally attacking the persons body weight, then yes i would consider it body shaming. however if it’s put into something like “wow, you’re so skinny!” then that’s not body shaming, but rather a compliment. you see, telling someone they are skinny can be taken by the person to be cruel, but it’s really not. skinny is the body standard. but since the person had told them to gain weight because of how skinny they were then that is offensive.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since this thread.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    This thread certainly damaged my inner child.

Four years later and the pain still endures.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if someone says something to you that makes you feel ashamed of your body, maybe there is something you need to change about yourself instead of blaming other people for making you feel ashamed. If you love yourself, it does not matter what anyone says about you, and if you loathe yourself, it does not matter what they say in that case either. Stop blaming other people for YOUR problems. Suck it up and do something about it buttercup.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    Seriously, if someone says something to you that makes you feel ashamed of your body, maybe there is something you need to change about yourself instead of blaming other people for making you feel ashamed. If you love yourself, it does not matter what anyone says about you, and if you loathe yourself, it does not matter what they say in that case either. Stop blaming other people for YOUR problems. Suck it up and do something about it buttercup.

Nails.

The only exception to this is if it’s a condition that is beyond one’s control, but yeah.... self reliance is a beautiful thing.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Funny that this thread was revived today because just 5 minutes ago I was told I need to eat a Whopper. It came from a client whom I truly like and is a good person. No offense taken by my part. I know I'm healthy and I'm comfortable with myself.

I think I depends on the intent of the person making the comment but we can only guess what their intentions are. I choose to think they aren't always bad.
  • Peachesand_cream
    Peachesand_cream Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    bby_dvll wrote: »
    if it is personally attacking the persons body weight, then yes i would consider it body shaming. however if it’s put into something like “wow, you’re so skinny!” then that’s not body shaming, but rather a compliment. you see, telling someone they are skinny can be taken by the person to be cruel, but it’s really not. skinny is the body standard. but since the person had told them to gain weight because of how skinny they were then that is offensive.

lc0jaln2qled.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Options

lc0jaln2qled.gif

What's not to understand?

She said it: "Skinny is the Body Standard."

This was posted online, therefore it must be true.

Everyone knows that it's illegal to post anything but the truth online.
  • Peachesand_cream
    Options

lc0jaln2qled.gif

Thank you for clarifying, Sir

Now please excuse me while I bang my head up against the wall .....
  • Motorsheen
    Options

lc0jaln2qled.gif

It's okay.

I understand.

I too was once skinny.

That lasted for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Thankfully, 15 minutes wasn't enough time to give anyone the opportunity to shame me for it.
  • Peachesand_cream
    Options

lc0jaln2qled.gif

It's okay.

I understand.

I too was once skinny.

That lasted for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Thankfully, 15 minutes wasn't enough time to give anyone the opportunity to shame me for it.

And dis is why I ❤️ you!
  • Moveit80
    Moveit80 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just humor in my opinion but I have a very diff sense of humor so can see how others take it a diff way
  • bby_dvll
    bby_dvll Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    maybe it wasn’t so good to revive a thread i didn’t know happened 4 years ago at 2 am lol, i should’ve been more clear. as someone who has been body shamed since i was 11 and seeing my closest friends be body shamed, ive seen a lot as to what is and isn’t body shaming. like i’ve said, skinny is the body standard, along with either a large *kitten* or tits. ive had friends be body shamed because they are skinny but flat, and others be body shamed because they are fat. and like someone said the intent on what someone says can be different that interpreted, but it’s not always body shaming. anyways that’s my take