Options

Replies

• strangeanimal55
    strangeanimal55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fammy04 wrote: »
    @Fammy04 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm bored and I'm looking for a little conversation. I'm sure some of us know that stress can lead to bad things on this health journey. I'm curious, what do you do to de-stress? :)

I like to either paint, play video games, or play with my dogs outside if weather permits.

What games do you play? I like video games as well, going on a walk, taking a bath, I play with horses at my volunteer job

So many games. Mainly RPGs like Final Fantasy. Do you use any salts in your bath? I love them. :)

Horses? Lucky! Do you get to ride them?

Nice! I use epsom salt or sometimes those scented bath bombs but not always.

I don't ride them. It's a therapeutic riding center for kids with special needs so when I'm there either a child is riding them while I lead or I'm feeding/playing with them. It's good exercise!

I use a lavender eucalyptus dead sea salt to relax with. I'm not a fan of bath bombs anymore. They always seemed to leave a ring around the tub.

How sweet. I would love to do something like that. :)

I love lavender and eucalyptus! So those two combined would be heavenly
  • Fammy04
    Fammy04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm bored and I'm looking for a little conversation. I'm sure some of us know that stress can lead to bad things on this health journey. I'm curious, what do you do to de-stress? :)

I like to either paint, play video games, or play with my dogs outside if weather permits.

What games do you play? I like video games as well, going on a walk, taking a bath, I play with horses at my volunteer job

So many games. Mainly RPGs like Final Fantasy. Do you use any salts in your bath? I love them. :)

I don't ride them. It's a therapeutic riding center for kids with special needs so when I'm there either a child is riding them while I lead or I'm feeding/playing with them. It's good exercise!

I use a lavender eucalyptus dead sea salt to relax with. I'm not a fan of bath bombs anymore. They always seemed to leave a ring around the tub.

How sweet. I would love to do something like that. :)

I love lavender and eucalyptus! So those two combined would be heavenly

It is! I don't get out of the tub until the water gets cold. :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vhrpvaxai3se26dffwe16o6jglyyl9msw1zyfhwt&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I channel it into working (even just housework), writing, researching something I need to know, taking online classes (usually computer related), watching DIY vids on something I don't want to do but need to (fixing a faucet, lengthening a skirt).

I'm good about channeling it into using my mind to otherwise occupy myself, but do envy those who can channel it into physical exercise. Stress wears me out & makes me sedentary... I don't have the desire to move, just staying busy.

In times of high stress, it's sleep that takes hold. I need to incorporate physical exercise into my life more in times of stress.

Wow, I wish I could do what you do. Were you always able to channel your stress like that? Or did you have to train your mind to focus?

It's just my nature, Fammy, but I also grew up in a family where the oldest kids had to work... being the oldest girl, I had the brunt of chores.

But, I'm definitely Type A & don't know how to relax... can't sit still to even watch a movie... I watch movies (or rather listen), while cooking or cleaning. Sitting still feels depressing to me, unless my brain is engaged, like computer programming or writing. I'll walk on the beach, but I could never sit in a beach chair longer than 5-10 min before I have to get up to do something, anything.

My biggest fear is aging to the point where I can't or don't want to be so active anymore. I remember seeing Jack LaLanne walking on the beach in CA at age 80... I want that to be me. :smile:

Have a great Sunday!
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Not well.

Mostly just cry
    Any form of escapism really. Food, drink, 🍃, internet.
    Back in the day when I was actively working out, I think that was the best way to deal. Can’t be sad if you’re tired.
    Been trying to find a hobby. Bought a sewing machine but I wasn’t immediately good at it so it’s collecting dust. 😬

You no longer work out as much? What changed?
    I used to put puzzles together, but it ended up frustrating me. Too much time, not enough progress. I now like to do paint by numbers. :)

I got stressed and worn out from work, started skipping the gym until I no longer went. Picked the fork back up. Got addicted to caffein and sugar again. Just never really got back on the horse. All backwards and not helping myself get where I want to be.
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options

There are some lovely DIY spa recipes you might enjoy, on the below site, From Nature with Love. I also buy their products to make my own moisturizers, clay masks, lip gloss, etc., due to very sensitive, easily-rashy skin... great quality & inexpensive. Haven't had a reaction to anything I've purchased from them, which is extremely rare. They're also a treasure trove for info on ingredients. I used to make all my own soaps (& candles), too... with so much moving around, there's just not enough room for hauling around non-essentials.

Yeah, the ring, that pesky ring... I just deal with it & scrub it off every couple of weeks. Problem is I'm not very strong, so literally have to sit in the tub with a small container & a sponge & scrub sq ft by sq ft. When I used to wear self tanner, which I love, it was quite the chore... a lovely chocolate ring around the tub. I gave up tanner due to the work involved with scrubbing. I guess taking showers might eliminate some of that work, but I must have been a dolphin in a past life... I have to soak in water to feel clean.

https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @Fammy04 and @BraydanTaffy for that blasted ring, try using Mrs. Meyers lavender scented toilet bowl cleaner. Put it on the ring in your tub, let it soak for about 10 minutes, and it'll wipe away with very minimal scrubbing. Works like a charm! I have hard water too, so this my go to for most of my bathroom cleaning tricks.
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    @Fammy04 and @BraydanTaffy for that blasted ring, try using Mrs. Meyers lavender scented toilet bowl cleaner. Put it on the ring in your tub, let it soak for about 10 minutes, and it'll wipe away with very minimal scrubbing. Works like a charm! I have hard water too, so this my go to for most of my bathroom cleaning tricks.

Oh, I love Dr. Meyers products. I have asthma & they're one of the few lines I can use that doesn't choke me.

That's a wonderful tip... never used their toilet cleaner, but this sounds great.

What does work well is Zote soap... the pink, lovely smelling laundry soap (you can buy it at Dollar Stores & Walmarts). There's minimal scrubbing, too, but well... I need more upper body workouts... I have to sit in the tub to clean it with my chicken-stick arms. :blush:
  • Fammy04
    Options
    Not well.

Mostly just cry
    Any form of escapism really. Food, drink, 🍃, internet.
    Back in the day when I was actively working out, I think that was the best way to deal. Can’t be sad if you’re tired.
    Been trying to find a hobby. Bought a sewing machine but I wasn’t immediately good at it so it’s collecting dust. 😬

You no longer work out as much? What changed?
    I used to put puzzles together, but it ended up frustrating me. Too much time, not enough progress. I now like to do paint by numbers. :)

I got stressed and worn out from work, started skipping the gym until I no longer went. Picked the fork back up. Got addicted to caffein and sugar again. Just never really got back on the horse. All backwards and not helping myself get where I want to be.

I completely understand. Honestly, my job is a lot of physical work, so I never saw the point in joining a gym. I used to enjoy jogging, but I could never catch a decent breath after even a light run.
    Half of me wants to do more for myself, but the other half doesn't want to put in the effort.

At least you're here, talking it out. Maybe you can find some motivation. :)
  • Fammy04
    Options

There are some lovely DIY spa recipes you might enjoy, on the below site, From Nature with Love. I also buy their products to make my own moisturizers, clay masks, lip gloss, etc., due to very sensitive, easily-rashy skin... great quality & inexpensive. Haven't had a reaction to anything I've purchased from them, which is extremely rare. They're also a treasure trove for info on ingredients. I used to make all my own soaps (& candles), too... with so much moving around, there's just not enough room for hauling around non-essentials.

Yeah, the ring, that pesky ring... I just deal with it & scrub it off every couple of weeks. Problem is I'm not very strong, so literally have to sit in the tub with a small container & a sponge & scrub sq ft by sq ft. When I used to wear self tanner, which I love, it was quite the chore... a lovely chocolate ring around the tub. I gave up tanner due to the work involved with scrubbing. I guess taking showers might eliminate some of that work, but I must have been a dolphin in a past life... I have to soak in water to feel clean.

https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/

Thank you. I will definitely take a look at the link. Lately, I've been interested in changing up the products that I use on myself, as well as, around the house.
  • Fammy04
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »

Perfect! I recently switched to Mrs. Meyers dish soap, laundry detergent, and fabric softener. I will definitely search for this too! Thanks for the idea. :)
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eat, duh. Which is how I got to 278# and ended up at MFP.
    Key to my weight loss has been managing stress (or ignoring it).

One thing I did do, however, throught the pandemic when things really started to get to me was take a "snuggle break" with my pupster: just curl up on the bed (WFH Woo hoo!) and set the timer for 7 minutes (how long my work computer takes to go to idle, lol) and spoon with my dog. :D
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Listen to music, watch a movie or tv show. Something cathartic, mostly its music though.

Ride my bike or go running.

Gardening...mostly anything that gets me outside in nature helps.

I wish I had dog because when I did he really helped.

I can't cry anymore.

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Apparently with anxiety and panic attacks.

I spend so much time fearing and dealing with the symptoms that the "stressors" get lost - its just "a day", that I have to get through, even if I can't speak properly (stammer, choking when speaking, get 'woozy headed' have to concentrate on being "ok")

Being home alone after work helps...being out of my home on days off sometimes helps too.

Basically, a distraction that changes my focus temporarily helps relieve my stress.

Sometimes I don't feel like exercising, or just going for a walk - I have never regretted either - no matter how un motivated I was to do it, even in the cold snowy winter or the rain - always invigorating and it changes my mental perspective, which temporarily but notedly is a stress reliever.

CONTROL!
    I have ocd
    (gentle qualifier - some people use the term loosely to describe their attention to detail, but are not clinically 'ocd', (so basically it doesn't negatively impact their life due to it))

I am trying to use it to my benefit, without medication. Keeping a tight regime with diet and exercise helps me (as long as I'm hitting the goals (if not I get upset) but when I meet my 'goals' it makes my next day somehow 'better'
    ...a 'control' thing, I suppose

sidenote!
    I love spontaneity too!
    Nothing to anticipate - but an exciting 'possibility'!
    I love unplanned adventure! Even if its just a drive I've never been to before - stops along the way - somewhere random and walk around.

Another stress reliever/retreat for me is to keep to myself - people only know about you what you tell them - or let them get to know - being in my "own bubble" is safer, a stress reliever. Hard part about that is when you hear them comment on you (and they are WRONG!) and having to just carry on...

I wish peace of mind to you OP ❤
  • Fammy04
    Options
    Eat, duh. Which is how I got to 278# and ended up at MFP.
    Key to my weight loss has been managing stress (or ignoring it).

One thing I did do, however, throught the pandemic when things really started to get to me was take a "snuggle break" with my pupster: just curl up on the bed (WFH Woo hoo!) and set the timer for 7 minutes (how long my work computer takes to go to idle, lol) and spoon with my dog. :D

Love the snuggle break idea! <3
  • Fammy04
    Options
    Listen to music, watch a movie or tv show. Something cathartic, mostly its music though.

I can't cry anymore.

What kind of music do you like to listen to?
  • Fammy04
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Apparently with anxiety and panic attacks.

I spend so much time fearing and dealing with the symptoms that the "stressors" get lost - its just "a day", that I have to get through, even if I can't speak properly (stammer, choking when speaking, get 'woozy headed' have to concentrate on being "ok")

Being home alone after work helps...being out of my home on days off sometimes helps too.

Basically, a distraction that changes my focus temporarily helps relieve my stress.

Sometimes I don't feel like exercising, or just going for a walk - I have never regretted either - no matter how un motivated I was to do it, even in the cold snowy winter or the rain - always invigorating and it changes my mental perspective, which temporarily but notedly is a stress reliever.

CONTROL!
    I have ocd
    (gentle qualifier - some people use the term loosely to describe their attention to detail, but are not clinically 'ocd', (so basically it doesn't negatively impact their life due to it))

I am trying to use it to my benefit, without medication. Keeping a tight regime with diet and exercise helps me (as long as I'm hitting the goals (if not I get upset) but when I meet my 'goals' it makes my next day somehow 'better'
    ...a 'control' thing, I suppose

sidenote!
    I love spontaneity too!
    Nothing to anticipate - but an exciting 'possibility'!
    I love unplanned adventure! Even if its just a drive I've never been to before - stops along the way - somewhere random and walk around.

Another stress reliever/retreat for me is to keep to myself - people only know about you what you tell them - or let them get to know - being in my "own bubble" is safer, a stress reliever. Hard part about that is when you hear them comment on you (and they are WRONG!) and having to just carry on...

I wish peace of mind to you OP ❤

Wow, I can't even imagine dealing with all that. You, my friend, are one strong human being. <3
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I deal with stress/anxiety/depression by keeping occupied with activities that are far, far away from the kitchen. I usually hang out upstairs if I am at home and crochet/knit/draw/paint/read/play video games/watch Netflix from my PC/etc.

I venture downstairs to cook my meals, do laundry and clean up, but otherwise stay away from the place where the food is kept.

I also like to walk as my primary "exercise" because it's the only thing I can consistently keep up with. Unfortunately, it does not lead to fast or noticeable results like other forms of exercise do.

And while I do not have OCD, I can't stand when things are not under my control (which is often and leads to a lot of anxiety and stress), so doing things that I can bring under my control (or require complete control to accomplish) help mitigate the depression/anxiety I deal with daily.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options

I can't cry anymore.

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

So so much... Mostly it is tinted with some melancholic dream-like ambience though but I listen to everything.

My consistent jams include a lot of Trent Reznor/NIN, BoC, Phoebe Bridgers, Tyler, The Creator, ATCQ, The Cure, The Smiths, Elliott Smith.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    f8wahk66c6cz.jpg