Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the U.S. Government about to try and tackle the Obesity Epidemic?

psychod787
psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
edited July 2021 in Debate Club
Came by this today. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/596/text?r=5&s=1
I wonder if this passes, what the reaction will be?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I am taking the opposite tack here (and I know psychodoc, so I'm guessing he doesn't really have a horse in this race - hey, this should go in Debate!)

I think the federal government is bloated and I think it needs to put its own self on an obesity diet. Not food, but not so many dollars spent on doing things that really won't work.

Obesity is like any other mental health issue. IF and WHEN someone WANTS help, they can find it. It's already available - heck, they can come here for free.

People know they're fat.

Good luck trying to fix that.

I don't know, man. I've been poor, had incapacitating anxiety that prevented me from leaving the house and it took me FOUR YEARS to find help for it and it wasn't for lack of looking. It was rurality combined with lack of professionals to see and lack of money.

Twenty years later and my eldest kid took 18 months to find someone to help with pretty severe depression issues and that one wasn't lack of money that was limited professionals in a 3 hour radius and none of them taking patients, or even referrals from GPs. Crisis facilities exist, but if not actively ready to die, they weren't an option.

This is what needs to be fixed, more available mental health for lots of reasons. Quality mental health. Some of the people I've been to throughout my past should've been in a different career IMO

Yep, absolutely that.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    There is a line between HAES, Body positivity, and Fat acceptance communities.

The fact of the matter is, no one's size and weight should determine whether or not they are treated like, you know, a person.

The other fact of the matter is, obesity is not healthy and the idea that self-love is being really, really overweight is absolute bullcrap.

I absolutely believe people should love themselves where they are, regardless of their size. I also believe everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect (until their actions show otherwise). I even think the diet industry and diet culture are predatory, toxic, and harmful.

None of that changes the toxicity and harm done by the 'health at every size' movement -- and it's vocal, angry, spokes people.

Addressing OP: I don't hate it. It's a health issue. I don't know how effective anything will be given.... so many factors, but I don't hate it. Actually really like the behavioral aspects.

I think it's a start, I honestly don't think it goes far enough. I think it needs to take a more of the fierce antismoking campaigns we have seen since the 70's. It has actually been marginally successful. The amount of smokers has dropped quite a bit. Start showing the the graphic pictures of diabetic amputations, the insides of arteries of people with CAD, people who had strokes because of HTN. Combine this with a tax on hyperprocessed , energy dense, hyperpalatable foods. Mean while making staples foods cheaper and more available. This might have a greater effect imho....

Yeah, the economic thing is a thing I realize very starkly very frequently. I agree with everything you said but the money stuff is a thing I think about a lot, every time I buy groceries. I'm comfortable now, but I still notice. And it bugs the crap out of me, because it's just wrong.