Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the U.S. Government about to try and tackle the Obesity Epidemic?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I am taking the opposite tack here (and I know psychodoc, so I'm guessing he doesn't really have a horse in this race - hey, this should go in Debate!)

I think the federal government is bloated and I think it needs to put its own self on an obesity diet. Not food, but not so many dollars spent on doing things that really won't work.

Obesity is like any other mental health issue. IF and WHEN someone WANTS help, they can find it. It's already available - heck, they can come here for free.

People know they're fat.

Good luck trying to fix that.

I don't know, man. I've been poor, had incapacitating anxiety that prevented me from leaving the house and it took me FOUR YEARS to find help for it and it wasn't for lack of looking. It was rurality combined with lack of professionals to see and lack of money.

Twenty years later and my eldest kid took 18 months to find someone to help with pretty severe depression issues and that one wasn't lack of money that was limited professionals in a 3 hour radius and none of them taking patients, or even referrals from GPs. Crisis facilities exist, but if not actively ready to die, they weren't an option.

Yeah, and I solved my mental health issues without professional help. There are churches, meetings, school counselors, online communities, LIBRARIES are free.

I've had big mental health issues in the past too. What I've learned is it's always an inside job. No one can "fix" it for me, least of all the Federal Government. I'm in charge of my own mental health, my own brain and my own weight.

Yep, Individual has to do the work but you also sometimes require a professional - or you know, medication. I am absolutely sure that a library and church would have TOTALLY managed my uncles schizophrenia just fine. Great for brain chemistry issues and people with mental health issues so bad they're not thinking clearly.

No big.

BOOTSTRAPS!!!!

God I hate that crap so much. Good sign of 'I am a jerk' though, so serves as a decent warning.

Really? You're gonna compare obesity with schizophrenia?

Seriously?

Oh no momma-bird.... they are really really different. I've worked with people with MH issues. Some people that have high adiposity just like the way they live and see no need to change. (my old self) There are some that claim they eat their emotions. Ok, I get that, but what are they eating when they do? I'm going to start a Shite show with this, but I don't think "food addiction is real".. Now food that has addictive like properties... oh hell yes. I'm sure that some people will eat their emotions on rice and plain beans, but many probably won't. Though, after 2020... I think we all need some therapy......

Let me put this bluntly:

They are not the same thing. There is intersection. My uncle is dead now (unrelated to MH) but he absolutely, entirely, got into extra trouble with his weight at the point his meds needed adjusted and then decided that the only food that wasn't poisoned was prepackaged, sealed, food that he acquired himself. From a gas station. Every time his meds were off or he went off him the first sign was his weight going WAY up or plummeting WAY low.

Now, this government bill wouldn't help crap - I'm not claiming they're the same issue, and I'm not claiming this is a normal factor. However you add depression, anxiety, sexual assault, and impulsivity factors that people either don't recognize or don't know how to address, it's probably relevant. Many people will be able to help themselves out of those things. Some will not. At that point that they cannot and it is negatively impacting their lives and health, you've got something that needs a professional.

Along with a lot of other factors related to obesity that may or may not intersect, and I acknowledged. Big issue. Mental health is a big issue. There is some overlap. That's... about the extent of what I said.

Well that and:

You can't just BOOTSTRAPS at a mental health problem is productive or kind.

And frankly I think anyone trying to change ingrained habits could do with a LITTLE professional guidance. People quitting smoking and trying to stop biting their nails or whatever ALSO seek and benefit from therapy of various sorts. Behavioral change is easier that way. I don't think addressing that is a bad thing and I sure as heck don't think it's true that anyone who wants help can find it.

That's... about the extent of it.

Mental health is a big issue. There is some overlap.
    I will not deny this, but for some people, this is not the case. I think that for many people, its not psychological per se, but brain and evolution issues. Now, while we obesity prior to 1980, why have we seen a skyrocketing of it after that time? Did people just start waiting until the 80's to eat their emotions? Maybe, but I don't think so. I think OFT does a great job of telling us what happened post 1980. Its just our nature and our culture. As far as "Bootstraps"? Well, I don't disagree with this statement, but I am a large believer in self accountability. If one needs therapy please get it. I personally think they should be giving it out to everyone after this year.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    There is a line between HAES, Body positivity, and Fat acceptance communities.

The fact of the matter is, no one's size and weight should determine whether or not they are treated like, you know, a person.

The other fact of the matter is, obesity is not healthy and the idea that self-love is being really, really overweight is absolute bullcrap.

I absolutely believe people should love themselves where they are, regardless of their size. I also believe everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect (until their actions show otherwise). I even think the diet industry and diet culture are predatory, toxic, and harmful.

None of that changes the toxicity and harm done by the 'health at every size' movement -- and it's vocal, angry, spokes people.

Addressing OP: I don't hate it. It's a health issue. I don't know how effective anything will be given.... so many factors, but I don't hate it. Actually really like the behavioral aspects.

I think it's a start, I honestly don't think it goes far enough. I think it needs to take a more of the fierce antismoking campaigns we have seen since the 70's. It has actually been marginally successful. The amount of smokers has dropped quite a bit. Start showing the the graphic pictures of diabetic amputations, the insides of arteries of people with CAD, people who had strokes because of HTN. Combine this with a tax on hyperprocessed , energy dense, hyperpalatable foods. Mean while making staples foods cheaper and more available. This might have a greater effect imho....

Yeah, the economic thing is a thing I realize very starkly very frequently. I agree with everything you said but the money stuff is a thing I think about a lot, every time I buy groceries. I'm comfortable now, but I still notice. And it bugs the crap out of me, because it's just wrong.

Eating relatively "healthy", does not have to be overly expensive or time consuming. I get that there are some issues with availability in certain "food deserts", but that's one of the reasons I want to see greater incentives to outlets that will go into such areas. Beans, rice, grains and frozen veggies are not hyper expensive. They have been the corner stones of many civilizations diets for years. As far as time, food can be as simple or complex as you make it.

Yep, absolutely.

But it's also a matter of what those cheap foods are competing with and that is very often hyper-processed, super palatable, super fast, food that is *still cheaper* than beans, rice and frozen veg. Which is why you also need to make the choice a little more complicated for people than "10 deep fried chicken nuggets for a dollar, or a bag of beans, rice, and frozen broccoli for 3.00 that will last many more meals" It needs to include some sort of incentive that they see valuable and with HAES screaming about it not being a health issue, most people around you being fat, and no clear nutritional education -- what wins is 'cheap, effortless, and tastes good'.

People need a REASON to care.

And a whole lot of people just... don't have that. For lots and lots and lots of, again, very complicated reasons that entwine and build on each other.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think from what I gleaned from reading this, this sounds like a good thing. This is where my dad (RIP) would be helpful in interpreting this, since he actually helped write our state laws. Anyway, obesity has become a huge problem in the US, so I think it makes sense that more programs be created and that private insurance companies be required to pay for them. I would think they wouldn't object to this anyway, since this would be preventative and could save them money in the future.

If people are really wanting universal healthcare (which I realize a whole other touchy debate subject), this kind of thing should be expected. I didn't read thoroughly, but I'm assuming that public-funded programs like Medicaid would also be providing these types of programs. I think this is very much a good thing, because obesity-related diseases like Type 2 diabetes are more prevalent in lower income populations. And yes, access to quality, low cost foods is definitely a factor. That's even more true when you don't necessarily have the knowledge of what those lower cost healthier options might be, or how to prepare them so it's actually tasty! As others have mentioned, behavior and often psychological changes are necessary for weight loss to be permanent, and simply educating people on the basics of weight loss isn't enough.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    It will be met with pushback from the HAAS and Body Positivity Movement. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hope they hold their ground on this issue. Obesity is having horrible ramifications to the health of our nation.

Why do you think those groups would push back, though?
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited July 2021
    It will be met with pushback from the HAAS and Body Positivity Movement. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hope they hold their ground on this issue. Obesity is having horrible ramifications to the health of our nation.

Why do you think those groups would push back, though?

There are multiple social media influencers, celebrities, and just regular people that have had to face the volatile behavior of some of the overly woke political correctness of the body positivity movement/HAAS. Do a YouTube search for
    "quit HAES movement" or "toxic body positivity." Its quite apparent.

My personal opinion ... you should love yourself, but you should also be accountable for your body and health, eat a healthy diet and exercise to maximize your mental and physical capabilities. You shouldn't be discriminated against but you shouldn't blame and hate people that may have a different opinion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I'm in for a 30% tax on fast food. Put it directly into the Medicare/Medicaid system.

There IS help. Remaining ever-the-victim is a personal decision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I am taking the opposite tack here (and I know psychodoc, so I'm guessing he doesn't really have a horse in this race - hey, this should go in Debate!)

I think the federal government is bloated and I think it needs to put its own self on an obesity diet. Not food, but not so many dollars spent on doing things that really won't work.

Obesity is like any other mental health issue. IF and WHEN someone WANTS help, they can find it. It's already available - heck, they can come here for free.

People know they're fat.

Good luck trying to fix that.

While I mostly agree with what you're saying, I disagree with the statement "they can find it." Yes there are services out there that can offer help, but many people are not easily able to access them due to money or other resources. Heck, I can't even get the MFP app on my phone because it is not supported (too old). I'm not a cheapskate by any means, but I'm not going to go out and buy a $1000 phone when the one I have works just fine. This means I have to have a computer.

Also, a note about mental health assistance in the US: it SUCKS! Seriously, it is HARD to get, with or without insurance. I have awesome insurance, but there are ZERO mental health providers locally that accept it. I would have to drive over an hour to get to any, and they more than likely wouldn't even specialize in what I needed. Going without insurance is going to be about $600 for the initial appointment, and then between $200-$500 for all other appointments, so a once a week visit with a mental health professional would cost AT LEAST $800 a month since there are slightly over 4 weeks in a month. Not many people can afford that. Heck, I would struggle affording that, and I would say I'm in the high/middle class with a regular 6-figure income.

So there IS a problem here, but it isn't about providing care to obese patients. It's about doing a complete overhaul of how mental health is treated (not treated) in this country.

My brother receives SSDI, but there is no way on earth he would have been able to go through the application process on his own.

My brother's ex girlfriend from 9 years ago also had mental health issues. She was eligible for lots of services, but was unable to complete applications for them. My mother, a retired social worker, tried to case-manage for her, but didn't make much headway before S ended up back in jail for flunking a drug test for something that is now legal in our state.