WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Went for my run. BEAUTIFUL morning. Lots of shufflers and plodders like me out and about. It must be summer! :p

DH annoyed that I told him he could go back to the barbers for a hair cut. I didn’t realise that he is quite nervous about the virus. They will be masked. I hope he will go as I do not enjoy the haircutting, especially trimming his ears. He said he could do it himself, and I said, "What?! Your eyebrows and ears! That would be very difficult! " He was not amused. >:)
    I've done it all through the pandemic, but it's ENOUGH ALREADY!
    He doesn't seem in the best of spirits and I'm not sure why. He may be a bit anxious about his sister and her boyfriend coming on Saturday. He usually has to have his worries tactfully pried out of him.

All well with me. :) Those new people who have asked me to Friend them, nothing personal, but I don't do Friends. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Good morning!
    Kiz I have wanted one for awhile too, but thought it was a waste when mine worked well. Am excited now.
    Tracey You are right! Everything is expensive and has built in obsolescence. 4x what we spent on one in 1998 and will probably last half as long.
    Barbara I hope you are feeling better this morning. Yes, stupid money for a fridge! At one of our rental properties, the previous tenants left a fridge similar to the one we bought. Lucky for our new tenants! I was jealous. 😉 Of course, now it will be hard to replace it with a cheap model if it fails with current tenants, but they have lived there 5 years with little issues.

Need to get day going. Have a great one!

Kylia in Ohio
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,352 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Wow Karen she grew up quick didnt she?
    Slept a couple more hours ,and will go for the oil change in a few
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Went for my run. BEAUTIFUL morning. Lots of shufflers and plodders like me out and about. It must be summer! :p

DH annoyed that I told him he could go back to the barbers for a hair cut. I didn’t realise that he is quite nervous about the virus. They will be masked. I hope he will go as I do not enjoy the haircutting, especially trimming his ears. He said he could do it himself, and I said, "What?! Your eyebrows and ears! That would be very difficult! " He was not amused. >:)
    I've done it all through the pandemic, but it's ENOUGH ALREADY!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

My husband does all his own. :) It's probably been decades since he's been to a hairdresser!

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    Machka - I'm sure he would be fine giving himself a no. 3, but I'm not sure he could manage the eyebrows and he would never even see the ear hair! I have a thing about nose and ear hair - can't bear it. :o:#
    In fact, he went round to the barbers before lunch, but it was shut! Boo! He seems more cheerful now, because he made the effort.

Had lovely Dim Sum for lunch. Makes a nice change.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    Ooooo
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    edited July 2021
    Health Update:
    First chemo treatment is done. It took about 2.5 hours. I took a little nap at the end of it. One of my former colleagues now works in HR for the oncologist. Long story, but she happened to walk into the main clinic office just as I checked in with the receptionist, saying my name, and she whirled around. She said she hardly ever goes into that office, so she called it a "God Appointment." Then yesterday, leaving the port implant surgery, I saw her walking. That reminded me to respond to her earlier email. She took her lunch break at 12:30, and sat and chatted with me. That meant so much because with COVID, we can't have anyone with us in the treatment area, but because she is an employee, she was allowed.

So my 2.5 hours were spent, chatting with K, chatting with the nurse, reading my book, and napping. The chairs are set up to face out huge pane glass windows, and from the 4th floor of the hospital, we have a lovely view of the capital building. y71sxdyfuegp.png
    From the back, but still lovely.

Biopsy of vertebrae is scheduled for the 26th. PET scan still awaiting insurance approval.

Feeling okay. Really tired, but not sick yet. I am going to lie down now and rest a bit. I have made plans for dinner and explained to two of the boys what I was going to do and how to do it. I teased them that I need to write a book for them called "Mother's Hints," to explain how to do everything that I do that they will need to start doing.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Good to know that you had company during the treatment. (((Hugs)))

Karen VA - Your granddaughter looks like one powerful determined swimmer. I hope she does well.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Well just back from the Dr,and they are sending in the prescription for a Cpap add me to the list of new users,hopefully will help me sleep better
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Cleaner worked out fine. Not perfect, but good enough and I like her. The list of things to leave out was about right. The coming visit has made me tidy up the spare guest room and I moved a nice ceramic bowl to the dining room. I now have a couple of large duvets with no obvious home at the moment, but I will figure it out.
    Now to organise the online payment.

Veal escalopes, roasted cauliflower and mushroom sauce for dinner. AF red wine.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Hi I also met a new cleaner today. A friend of the concierge. She just came by but didn't clean yet. 1st try on Saturday.
    She said she only wants to work weekly. Ok. 1.5h per week. I really can't use more long term.

Since I might have a friend popping by Friday I have to clean myself till then. it was a MESS today. I was a bit focusing on work to detriment of housework and then yesterday I had some tooth root work done, not major but the anaesthesia was much stronger than usual (a different type) and I was totally washed out yesterday till evening. So I spent 4x 15 min cleaning, tidying today. It's better.

• bananasandoranges
    Barbara - Michaela bought her little chair at a yard sale for 3.00.

Carol- my DH and I are the same. We eat in front of the tv most nights. It works for us too. I just don’t have the energy for it all anymore. I really dislike cooking too.

Rita - I think it shows promise that your DH is trying. I think it’s a long hard road to recovery from what I’ve witnessed over the years.

I was in that situation very very early in life. I was engaged to him when I realized the partying we did as teens was getting to be a daily habit. I broke it off. He is now a full blown alcoholic. My husband doesn’t drink unless it’s socially, which is very rare. His Dad drank too much and ruined too many special occasions for him.

Heather - I am so happy for your husband.

Barbara - my brother is a mechanic and he swears by Toyota. My Son in law’s mom is on her third one she just keeps reading them in every few years for the newer model.

I have been reading along but with the Grands here I have been busy. The Grands and I left Saturday around 1pm and went to their Aunt’s for the night. It was fun but we were all exhausted coming home yesterday.
    The Grands go home today and I go back to work tomorrow. We will be having a cleaning party this afternoon before their parents arrive.
    p3p2kagqvuwb.jpeg

I will be having a very early bedtime tonight I think.

Tracey in Edmonton

ALCOHOL ALCOHOLICS MOVIES
    A good proportion of the people I hung out in my youth/teens (high school and jr high) had substance abuse issues, almost all of the guys, and a few of the women. It's hard to tell when you are teens cause some people are just experimenting and "partying" a bit. But some are "recovered alcoholics" (going regularly to AA for over a decade or two), some are practicing alcoholics, some are functioning alcoholics, some passed away early due to drug or alcohol use or connected trouble they got into, including one medium serious BF from high school days, but a couple of years after we had no more contact. I find out about 5 years ago that many of the young guys we were close to were dealers, (not full time, but on the side) but a lot of the girls were apparently not aware.
    So I have definitely gone out with an alcoholic or two in my very early days. Mass was dry on Sundays, so it was not unusual to drive to NH on a Sunday for an alcohol run. for me it was just fun to go for a long drive and have a destination, but presumably it was a bit more than that for some. Weirdly I though it was no rule, from about 25 to 45 I tended to be drawn to guys who disliked alcohol and didn't drink at all, just found it bad tasting or didn't like the feeling. My dad very much disliked alcohol taste (which was not cool in the madmen 60s). He grew up in the prohibition and his parents were religious early on so alcohol was not around. (movies were even forbidden when he was a kid, but he would always sneak away to see movies, and remained a major movie-goer till late middle age I'd say. In cocktail parties drinking Diet Coke back then was very badly perceived.

Anyway I have a couple of friends from high school who are 2 decades into being active abstinent AA members, sponsors, so miracles can happen. One is now very happily married, and the other is married too and doing very well overall, great with work, kids and friends. (I think in his case his spouse still dips a bit too much into the bottle but he sticks with her 20 or 30 years down the road as its manageable.)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Karen - WOW!!!!!!! She looks amazing. <3 I hope she is still enjoying swimming. Sometimes we can overstretch ourselves, but a good coach should spot that. As long as she still loves it, all is well. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    What’s one thing you love about your home, garden or neighborhood?
    Or maybe one thing you love about each of them!

Home : nice view (relatively speaking), quiet, well-situated, looks onto gardens, safe, convenient, friendly
    Garden: tiny, so : easy to care for: just a few potted plants and boxes of geraniums! takes a couple of minutes to water and I'm good to go most times.
    Neighborhood: can buy and do most things within walking distance, friendly, safe, cafés, neighbours
  • bananasandoranges
    edited July 2021
    Good thing done yesterday/today
    took care of teeth
    rested
    took some good notes
    cleaned 1h+
    found good cleaner
    some useful mails and social media in activist stuff
    tracked today
    called

Grateful
    Café
    some friends and neighbours
    summer lull
    cleaner home
    cleaning person

To do today still (it's already 6pm)
    Meditate ?
    Transfer money regarding tooth work
    Start new book?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie-- I am enjoying knitting the blanket, very much. I have time. The baby is not due until November. I have knitted one of these blankets for each of my grandchildren. :heart:

Kylia— It seems like your old refrigerator has done the job well for a long time. I hope the new one will be as reliable. :flowerforyou:

Margaret-- I have been a fan of Antiques Road Show in the past. The last few times I found it, it was an old rerun. Congrats to your brother and his significant other for their amazing garage sale treasure. The value of the Bohisvatta is astounding. :star:

Allie— I’m happy that the mammogram went quickly. I hope things go well with the Social Security office. As to a c-pap, we know at least two people who use it to get good rest. They are better because of it. I’m glad for you that your doctor is sending in the prescription. William Shatner advertises it on TV. :heart:

Lisa— Good luck getting a reliable company to put down your driveway. :flowerforyou:

(((Flea)))— Sending good wishes and prayers your way. I like your view of the state capitol building. :heart:

Rori— I am so sorry that your brother’s health is declining and you are back in caregiver mode. Your brother is lucky to have you. I am happy that you love your home, its layout, summer blooms and tomatoes. :heart:

Tracey in Edmonton— A few years ago DH & I went to the Pendleton Round Up here in Oregon. We had a wonderful time. My favorite event there was the Indian bareback relay races with regional participants from several Indian tribes. :bigsmile:

Barbara— I hope your refinance goes smoothly. :smiley:

Sue in WA—We have a favorite sitting room in our house, too. It is adjacent to our bedroom and has a lovely view of the Columbia River, and the State of Washington on the other side. :heart:

Karen in VA-- I love the photos of your granddaughter. She looks lovely and healthy. :star:

I had a city meeting last evening and got home late, so I am still lounging around at home. I have some prescriptions to pick up at the pharmacy for DH. Once I get that done, I plan to be lazy for the rest of the day.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited July 2021
    HOME - I adore my house. I love its age, 1920s, and the size, which is perfect for the two of us, who like to get away from each other. :p Many spots need a serious refresh, but we are gradually getting round to it. My dining room is a great spot for having breakfast, looking over the garden.

GARDEN - I love my garden. We never expected to have a decent sized garden in Hove, but we love it. I rarely go outside in it, because I am mildly agoraphobic, but I am happy looking at it through the window and will go outside in company. We are developing it as a wildlife garden, with a meadow patch and lots of undergrowth and wild bits. I love insects.
    We have soooooo many birds, squirrels, foxes. Always something to look at.

NEIGHBOURHOOD - For me this is the perfect neighbourhood. I truly can't think of anywhere I'd rather live. The sea at the end of the road. Beautiful gardens. Lovely people. Wonderful local shops. Community feel. Quiet. City a short bus ride away. London a quick train ride away.

I am blessed.

Love Heather UK, living in the seaside city of Brighton and Hove.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather— I am delighted for you. You have found a home you love, grandchildren nearby, and an interesting and pleasant city to call home. Congratulations! <3o:)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    B)