Vegan issues

Hi there. I just wanted to ask if there were any vegans, current or past who have had issues with things like loss of hair, mood swings, lack of b12, iron etc.
Back story, I'll keep it short. I was vegan 8 years ago at, what seemed, a time there wasn't much variety of foods only whole foods and maybe a few vegan alternatives at health food places. Over the course of 3 years of being vegan then my hair feel out leaving me with bold patches, I had numerous iron infusions and had to have regular b12 shots. Eventually I couldn't go on so I went back to having eggs and fish in my diet. Fast forward to march-ish this year and I thought I wanted to go back vegan as it just doesn't sit well with me by using and consuming animal products so I thought as there are so many more products now than there were back then and it being so more easier and affordable to have things like protein powders, bars, all kinds of vitamins I decided I would go vegan again. Now approx 4 months on my hair is falling out, major bad mood swings my husband is at his wits end with me, I feel lethargic which going from my past is b12 and iron being effected. Is it me? I just don't want to give up what I truly am passionate about just the thought of being non-vegan again upsets me but realistically it could be an option. I take my supplements daily eat a massive variety of whole foods and foods in general.
I just wanted a bit of advice, either to see if maybe I am doing something wrong or its just me and it doesn't suit me.

Replies

• oooaarrrr79
    oooaarrrr79 Posts: 85 Member
    edited July 2021
    Thank you for replying.
    When I had these problems years ago I had numerous blood tests on a regular basis that's how could see my b12 and iron deficiency. I haven't had any done this time as I pretty much know me and I know the signs already as it was pretty bad last time, also with covid I don't think the GP would see me just yet but it's worth a phone call.
    I drink only water or sugar free squash very rarely a Pepsi max when I go out for a meal.
    I am 42 and I was 34 when I was vegan before.
    My mum has very thin hair and mine has also been thin but never have I had hair loss like this, I mean clumps running down my body when I wash my hair in the shower, it's actually scary.
    I don't take vitamin D.
  • oooaarrrr79
    edited July 2021
    k7er1ll36lyd.jpg

This was just yesterday I got from running down my body. My hair isn't as long as my profile pic anymore it's shoulder length just to give an idea how much hair I have lost.

07fjuz3dis10.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I'm only vegetarian, not vegan, but it seems to me that if you're experiencing things as a vegan that result from nutritional deficiencies, you'd want to work on those deficiencies specifically via foods (preferably) or supplements (if necessary). I guess it's possible that certain people just don't tolerate veganism well, but IMO at equal nutrition, it ought not to make that big a difference?

Frankly, there are a lot of websites/blogs about veganism/vegetarianism that spread mistruths in the name of advocacy, which does no one any service, not even the cause of veganism/vegetarianism.

One that I think is very good, though, on the subject of nutrition is:

https://veganhealth.org/

If you're not familiar with it, that would be a good place to look for nutritional strategies.
  • oooaarrrr79
    edited July 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm only vegetarian, not vegan, but it seems to me that if you're experiencing things as a vegan that result from nutritional deficiencies, you'd want to work on those deficiencies specifically via foods (preferably) or supplements (if necessary). I guess it's possible that certain people just don't tolerate veganism well, but IMO at equal nutrition, it ought not to make that big a difference?

Frankly, there are a lot of websites/blogs about veganism/vegetarianism that spread mistruths in the name of advocacy, which does no one any service, not even the cause of veganism/vegetarianism.

If you're not familiar with it, that would be a good place to look for nutritional strategies.

Thank you for that I will definitely have a look!!
    I do prefer to get what I need from food rather than supplements but I understand that "top up's" are needed which I do and have had, I just don't want to keep popping these things and it's the financial side of it too, it can be costly especially with a family and we all eat differently and I will always put my childrens needs before mine.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I gave up meat/chicken in 1989 - only eat salt water fish - no seafood or eggs
    Lately I found eating legumes give me serious indigestion, so my food intake is very limited
    I had to take Vitamin D as my blood work showed that my levels were extremely low
    I take Vitamin D/2000 iu and one Daily Iron Free by Mega Foods - to me they are the best - don't eat any soy

For Iron I normally take

Floradix contains organic iron (II) from ferrous gluconate, vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12 and C. Iron, vitamins B2, B6, B12 and C contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue and to normal energy-yielding metabolism. In addition, iron contributes to normal red blood cell (supported by vitamins B6 and B12) and haemoglobin formation. Furthermore, vitamin C increases iron absorption.

Floradix liquid contains iron from ferrous gluconate which is a particularly absorbable form.

Floradix is easy to take and helps safeguard the balance of iron and vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12 and C.

As these nutrients are already dissolved, they are absorbed more quickly by the digestive system compared to tablets.

All plant based and does not cause constipation. Sold at Wholefoods - not cheap, but it really works

• oooaarrrr79
    socajam wrote: »
    I gave up meat/chicken in 1989 - only eat salt water fish - no seafood or eggs
    Lately I found eating legumes give me serious indigestion, so my food intake is very limited
    I had to take Vitamin D as my blood work showed that my levels were extremely low
    I take Vitamin D/2000 iu and one Daily Iron Free by Mega Foods - to me they are the best - don't eat any soy

For Iron I normally take

Floradix contains organic iron (II) from ferrous gluconate, vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12 and C. Iron, vitamins B2, B6, B12 and C contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue and to normal energy-yielding metabolism. In addition, iron contributes to normal red blood cell (supported by vitamins B6 and B12) and haemoglobin formation. Furthermore, vitamin C increases iron absorption.

Floradix liquid contains iron from ferrous gluconate which is a particularly absorbable form.

Floradix is easy to take and helps safeguard the balance of iron and vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12 and C.

As these nutrients are already dissolved, they are absorbed more quickly by the digestive system compared to tablets.

All plant based and does not cause constipation. Sold at Wholefoods - not cheap, but it really works

I always used to have floradix years ago but stopped when I was prescribed iron tablets and had the iron infusions, I must admit I totally forgot all about it so thank you for reminding me, I will definitely be buying some!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    You are welcome
    To me it's the best iron one can take for deficiency.
    I find that iron tablets and constipation are something that I tend to stay away from
    I also bought Nutritional Yeast, but I have not used it for a while - I need to keep it on my kitchen counter to reminder myself
    I now drink cow's milk because of my Vitamin D deficiency, but now and again I make my own cashew or almond milk. I find the ones in the stores have too much chemicals
    If you can afford it, get yourself a decent blender like a Vitamix, not cheap - you won't regret it and to me it's worth every $ that I spent on it
    I bought myself a Hexclad Wok for $179 from their website on sale and it's one of the best things I have bought since my Vitamix
    It's my one pot meal where I put everything in there, place in the oven @350 and dinner is ready between 30 - 45 minutes.
    Dinner: brown basmati rice, zucchini, carrot, okra and a 4 oz wild salmon on top - bake at 350 in one pot
    Trader Joe's sells a this brown basmati rice that is the best I have cooked
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hi there. I just wanted to ask if there were any vegans, current or past who have had issues with things like loss of hair, mood swings, lack of b12, iron etc.
    Back story, I'll keep it short. I was vegan 8 years ago at, what seemed, a time there wasn't much variety of foods only whole foods and maybe a few vegan alternatives at health food places. Over the course of 3 years of being vegan then my hair feel out leaving me with bold patches, I had numerous iron infusions and had to have regular b12 shots. Eventually I couldn't go on so I went back to having eggs and fish in my diet. Fast forward to march-ish this year and I thought I wanted to go back vegan as it just doesn't sit well with me by using and consuming animal products so I thought as there are so many more products now than there were back then and it being so more easier and affordable to have things like protein powders, bars, all kinds of vitamins I decided I would go vegan again. Now approx 4 months on my hair is falling out, major bad mood swings my husband is at his wits end with me, I feel lethargic which going from my past is b12 and iron being effected. Is it me? I just don't want to give up what I truly am passionate about just the thought of being non-vegan again upsets me but realistically it could be an option. I take my supplements daily eat a massive variety of whole foods and foods in general.
    I just wanted a bit of advice, either to see if maybe I am doing something wrong or its just me and it doesn't suit me.

I experienced exactly this same problem back about 7 years ago after being vegan for 2 years. I went to a naturopathic doctor who gave me various supplements, put me on a grain free diet (I also went back to eating eggs and fish), B12 shots, high quality vitamins. I was also in perimenopause, and under an extreme amount of stress, so not 100% sure what was the exact issue or whether it was a perfect storm of everything all at once. My hair was also shedding like crazy and I had massive anxiety issues - I wish I could remember exactly how she described the cause of the issues, I feel like elevated cortisol?- I can't remember exactly. I feel you though on not having your diet align with your health needs - I added back in organic eggs and wild caught fish, basically because eating a grain free diet was too limiting without it.
    Good luck figuring it out. Just wanted to let you know it's not just you, I had similar issues.
  • oooaarrrr79
    socajam wrote: »
    You are welcome
    To me it's the best iron one can take for deficiency.
    I find that iron tablets and constipation are something that I tend to stay away from
    I also bought Nutritional Yeast, but I have not used it for a while - I need to keep it on my kitchen counter to reminder myself
    I now drink cow's milk because of my Vitamin D deficiency, but now and again I make my own cashew or almond milk. I find the ones in the stores have too much chemicals
    If you can afford it, get yourself a decent blender like a Vitamix, not cheap - you won't regret it and to me it's worth every $ that I spent on it
    I bought myself a Hexclad Wok for $179 from their website on sale and it's one of the best things I have bought since my Vitamix
    It's my one pot meal where I put everything in there, place in the oven @350 and dinner is ready between 30 - 45 minutes.
    Dinner: brown basmati rice, zucchini, carrot, okra and a 4 oz wild salmon on top - bake at 350 in one pot
    Trader Joe's sells a this brown basmati rice that is the best I have cooked

Thank you again for your advice, I welcome any!!
    I have nutritional yeast a lot, its one of my favourite things especially with pasta.
  • oooaarrrr79
    psuLemon wrote: »

This.

Also OP, how many grams protein are you consuming? And what are your sources? Hair loss, brittle nails, unhealthy skin, etc.. are signs of protein deficiency (something a lot of doctors dont think of). Given that plant based sources of protein are not very high quality, you potentially need to increase it a lot.

At some point, you may need to consider how important your health is. And while i am not suggesting to eat meat, it might be worth incorporating things like eggs and dairy (particularly greek yogurt or cottage cheese). Both are complete sources of protein.

And if you are willing to experiment, consume red meat for a month to see if it fixes your health issues. Iron and B12 are readily available in red meat and bioavailable. Even 3-4oz a day could help solve the issue.

My wife is one of those people where her health issues prevent her from moving to anything plant based. And the more i have increased her meat consumption and reduced her plant consumption, the better she feels. Grant it, she has gone through about 8 different surgeries, including getting 14" from you colon removed.

Hi there, thank you for replying, I appreciate any advice.
    To be honest I have no idea how much protein I consume, I have protein powder added to my "fruit soup" just blended frozen fruit but on top of that I couldn't say, a good idea to track it I suppose.
    Adding eggs and fish was what I did years ago but kind of naturally without thinking gradually stopped eating it so really if I thought about it I'd say a good 90-95% if not more of my diet is and has been for years vegan just naturally.
    I see what your saying about red meat but I seriously couldn't, I literally see any animal and cry just with pure love and joy, as silly as that sounds I'm sure to some people I just can't help it.
  • oooaarrrr79
    33gail33 wrote: »

I experienced exactly this same problem back about 7 years ago after being vegan for 2 years. I went to a naturopathic doctor who gave me various supplements, put me on a grain free diet (I also went back to eating eggs and fish), B12 shots, high quality vitamins. I was also in perimenopause, and under an extreme amount of stress, so not 100% sure what was the exact issue or whether it was a perfect storm of everything all at once. My hair was also shedding like crazy and I had massive anxiety issues - I wish I could remember exactly how she described the cause of the issues, I feel like elevated cortisol?- I can't remember exactly. I feel you though on not having your diet align with your health needs - I added back in organic eggs and wild caught fish, basically because eating a grain free diet was too limiting without it.
    Good luck figuring it out. Just wanted to let you know it's not just you, I had similar issues.

You literally sound like me!
    I have also been been very stressed lately and pre-menopausal, I have blamed those things for my hair and other issues but I have to face facts it happened before and can't keep my head in the sand. It is a case of compassion v's health.
    Thank you I appreciate your message and not that I am glad you went through what you did but glad to know its not just me, if that makes sense x
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

Thank you for that I will definitely have a look!!

I do prefer to get what I need from food rather than supplements but I understand that "top up's" are needed which I do and have had, I just don't want to keep popping these things and it's the financial side of it too, it can be costly especially with a family and we all eat differently and I will always put my childrens needs before mine.

You should get your levels of B12 and iron tested. If you can email your provider, send the picture of your hair in clumps. Iron deficiency can be very serious - it put me in the ER last year for an emergency blood transfusion, followed by a series of infusions.

As a vegan, your dietary sources of iron will be all non-heme, which is less bioavailable than heme iron.

Don't just supplement - get tested. My hematologist wants me to have my iron levels tested several times per year so he sees if I'm on track. When I was doing dietary plus supplements I needed 400% RDA iron to stay in Low Normal. Then things got worse last year and now I am relying on supplements plus periodic infusions.

Vegans have to supplement b12 - it's simply not possible to get enough from (unfortified) vegan food.

Note that the sources of vegan B12 given in the NHS link are FORTIFIED, which means the manufacturer ADDED it to the food. In that case, I believe it is better to supplement, so you can get better quality - food manufacturers are not prioritizing quality; they are just looking to hit a target number.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/vegetarian-and-vegan-diets-q-and-a/#:~:text=Vitamin B12 is only found,is fortified with vitamin B12

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nutritional-yeast
    ...There are two types of nutritional yeast — unfortified and fortified.
    • Unfortified: This type does not contain any added vitamins or minerals. It only contains the vitamins and minerals that are naturally produced by the yeast cells as they grow.
    • Fortified: This type contains synthetic vitamins added during the manufacturing process to boost nutrient content. If vitamins have been added to the yeast, they will be included in the ingredients list.

Fortified nutritional yeast is the most common type available for purchase.

The first two brands of UNFORTIFIED yeast I found contained no B12 at all.
  • oooaarrrr79
    edited July 2021
    [b[/b]Thank you for your advice, I am so grateful to all of the advice I have been given.

As I previously mentioned a few years ago I had numerous iron infusions as well as taking 3 iron tablets a day and it was put down to my cycles so I had a sterilisation and oblation and I was tested after and was told my iron levels were normal, it would be normal I'd just had an infusion, there for I have not been seen and tested since. I will phone my GP today though, its worth a call.

I just looked on my nutritional yeast and it does say its got b12 in it.
    I think an overhaul of what I eat is needed as well as a blood test.
  • oooaarrrr79
    I've been vegan for about fifteen years.

I get my iron and B12 tested annually. I really recommend getting a blood test because with what you're experiencing, you'll want to try to address the exact issue rather than trying to guess at what you might be missing and then waiting to see if your adjustments impact anything.

Are you tracking what you eat? Lethargy and mood swings are both associated with low fat diets for me. This isn't medical advice by any means, that's just my personal experience.

Veganhealth.org was mentioned above, I think that's a fantastic health resource for vegans. I don't know your location or resources, but if it's possible for you to find a vegan-friendly RD, that may also be a help.

Reminder: Your health is important. I can see that veganism is important to you, but it's always supposed to be avoiding animal exploitation to the extent that it is possible and practicable. Stabilizing your health is a valid goal. I think veganism is fully compatible with human health, but this doesn't mean that every single individual can intuitively and instantly understand how to reverse nutritional issues. We still don't understand everything about nutrition. It'd be awesome if a B12 supplement could solve everything, but sometimes our nutritional needs are more complicated than that.

Hi there. Thank you for replying.
    I live in the UK and we have to go through our GP for them to request a blood sample from the nurse and I think they can request certain tests of blood to be carried out rather than an over all blood screen if that makes sense, I'm not 100% but going on previous blood tests they have only checked for iron on some and a few more on others. I booked the appointment today but I don't have the phone call appointment with the GP today and that's a massive 2 weeks away and then if the say I can have blood taken it could take a while to see the nurse to actually have it done.
    I don't track my food, I just eat what I like and it is pretty low fat, low protein with the exception of protein shakes and a maybe a bar. I stick to salads, beans, soy products and things like that really.
    I totally agree and it just might be one thing I'm lacking and I will be fine, I do not want to eat a different way and I will get to the bottom of it. For the mean time as it is going to be at least 3 weeks until I see a nurse and that's only if the GP refers me to, I will do some research and track to see what I potentially could be missing out on . I have ordered liquid iron to top that up just in case and extra iron wouldn't hurt anyway, well I hope 😄
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've been vegan for about fifteen years.

I get my iron and B12 tested annually. I really recommend getting a blood test because with what you're experiencing, you'll want to try to address the exact issue rather than trying to guess at what you might be missing and then waiting to see if your adjustments impact anything.

Are you tracking what you eat? Lethargy and mood swings are both associated with low fat diets for me. This isn't medical advice by any means, that's just my personal experience.

Veganhealth.org was mentioned above, I think that's a fantastic health resource for vegans. I don't know your location or resources, but if it's possible for you to find a vegan-friendly RD, that may also be a help.

Reminder: Your health is important. I can see that veganism is important to you, but it's always supposed to be avoiding animal exploitation to the extent that it is possible and practicable. Stabilizing your health is a valid goal. I think veganism is fully compatible with human health, but this doesn't mean that every single individual can intuitively and instantly understand how to reverse nutritional issues. We still don't understand everything about nutrition. It'd be awesome if a B12 supplement could solve everything, but sometimes our nutritional needs are more complicated than that.

Hi there. Thank you for replying.
    I live in the UK and we have to go through our GP for them to request a blood sample from the nurse and I think they can request certain tests of blood to be carried out rather than an over all blood screen if that makes sense, I'm not 100% but going on previous blood tests they have only checked for iron on some and a few more on others. I booked the appointment today but I don't have the phone call appointment with the GP today and that's a massive 2 weeks away and then if the say I can have blood taken it could take a while to see the nurse to actually have it done.
    I don't track my food, I just eat what I like and it is pretty low fat, low protein with the exception of protein shakes and a maybe a bar. I stick to salads, beans, soy products and things like that really.
    I totally agree and it just might be one thing I'm lacking and I will be fine, I do not want to eat a different way and I will get to the bottom of it. For the mean time as it is going to be at least 3 weeks until I see a nurse and that's only if the GP refers me to, I will do some research and track to see what I potentially could be missing out on . I have ordered liquid iron to top that up just in case and extra iron wouldn't hurt anyway, well I hope 😄

I understand about having to wait to see your health care providers. If you're eating low fat and low protein, it may be worthwhile experimenting with focusing on getting more of these to see if that makes a difference. If adding eggs and fish previously helped you resolve these issues, it's possible that being low fat or low protein is contributing to these issues. I'm not trying to armchair doctor, just something to consider trying before you're able to get in to see your GP. Anecdotally, it seems like a diet that is low in protein and/or fat sometimes results in symptoms like this.
  • oooaarrrr79
    I really do appreciate your advice and I will try anything! Nothing ever seems simple does it haha. I know in my heart I am doing what is right for me it just needs tweaking and I will get it sorted or as much as I can and its a good way to experiment and add even more delicious food in my life, every cloud....😀
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    I'd definitely advise seeing a doctor about a blood test and tracking your food (on here or Cronometer) to make sure you're getting enough fats, proteins, and other important nutrients. I also would recommend taking a multi-vitamin if you don't already.

Veganism isn't a magic bullet, but you also shouldn't be experiencing issues like this if you're eating a balanced vegan diet with plenty of carbs, proteins, and fats. Maybe you need to work with a registered dietician and see what they would recommend?