Vegan issues

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely recommend tracking calories for a few weeks to understand where you normally fall for nutrients. Keep in mind fat and proteins are essential nutrients. So you might need to start planning your days around protein/fat sources. Things like tofu, seitan, and soy are better sources. Also, what kind of protein powder are you using?
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey! Ive been vegan for 8+ years( kinda lost count could be more) I have none of those problems. My hairdresser always comments on how much hair I have. We are around the same age too.
    My diary is open but boring.
    I take vitamin D as I live in Canada and the dr said all Canadians should take it. I also take a b12 about once a week.
  • oooaarrrr79
    oooaarrrr79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    I'd definitely advise seeing a doctor about a blood test and tracking your food (on here or Cronometer) to make sure you're getting enough fats, proteins, and other important nutrients. I also would recommend taking a multi-vitamin if you don't already.

Veganism isn't a magic bullet, but you also shouldn't be experiencing issues like this if you're eating a balanced vegan diet with plenty of carbs, proteins, and fats. Maybe you need to work with a registered dietician and see what they would recommend?

I have booked in for a telephone appointment with the Dr to discuss this but that's not for another 2 weeks so I will have to wait until then for what happens then.
    I am definitely starting to track, I think will be the most helpful tool, until I have blood taken, thats if the Dr advises it.
    Again the GP would have to refer me to a dietician and that could take months or now with covid much longer, I don't have the funds to pay private for a dietician unfortunately so stumped for the time being with just my own detective work and waiting for the GP.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Definitely recommend tracking calories for a few weeks to understand where you normally fall for nutrients. Keep in mind fat and proteins are essential nutrients. So you might need to start planning your days around protein/fat sources. Things like tofu, seitan, and soy are better sources. Also, what kind of protein powder are you using?

Yes tracking is definitely the way forward!! I am sure it will be a massive eye opener. My poor husband has been doing the food shopping with covid being around and now my youngest is self isolating as he was in class with a child who tested positive so I have been house bound looking after him, so my husband hasn't got a clue, in the nicest way of course, about shopping for me like tofu and soy products he just keeps to the same things he knows is "safe" fruit, veg, if it says "vegan" massive on the front he gets it bless him regardless what it is.
    I have myvegan protein blend, 21g's in 30g of powder.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Yes tracking is definitely the way forward!! I am sure it will be a massive eye opener. My poor husband has been doing the food shopping with covid being around and now my youngest is self isolating as he was in class with a child who tested positive so I have been house bound looking after him, so my husband hasn't got a clue, in the nicest way of course, about shopping for me like tofu and soy products he just keeps to the same things he knows is "safe" fruit, veg, if it says "vegan" massive on the front he gets it bless him regardless what it is.

Looks like a pretty good protein. If you want a buffer, do 1.5 scoops per serving. Plant based proteins aren't very high quality, so the additional would act as a good buffer.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    Hey! Ive been vegan for 8+ years( kinda lost count could be more) I have none of those problems. My hairdresser always comments on how much hair I have. We are around the same age too.
    My diary is open but boring.
    I take vitamin D as I live in Canada and the dr said all Canadians should take it. I also take a b12 about once a week.

Thank you for that, I will definitely have a sneaky peek at your diary 😀
    I have such fine hair anyway, lots of it apparently but fine all the same. I went to my hairdresser about 3/4 weeks ago and she was shocked at how it had broken off and fallen out. Underneath was terrible, it looked like someone had lifted my hair split it into a cross, took the right side underneath and just chopped it off to the nape and the sides of my hair also looked like someone gave me a bad mullet!! She had no choice but to chop it all off, it really has been awful. I have to get my husband to check for bold patches like I had before, no obvious signs as of yet.
    I take b12 daily but I don't have vitamin D.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options

Looks like a pretty good protein. If you want a buffer, do 1.5 scoops per serving. Plant based proteins aren't very high quality, so the additional would act as a good buffer.

Ah yes, I didn't think to have more, doh!! I will, I generally have it in blended frozen fruit. I also have some protein bars,15g protein and liquid iron coming today so hopefully those will help.

I am so grateful for all the advise and recommendations, thank you x
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely advise seeing a doctor about a blood test and tracking your food (on here or Cronometer) to make sure you're getting enough fats, proteins, and other important nutrients. I also would recommend taking a multi-vitamin if you don't already.

Veganism isn't a magic bullet, but you also shouldn't be experiencing issues like this if you're eating a balanced vegan diet with plenty of carbs, proteins, and fats. Maybe you need to work with a registered dietician and see what they would recommend?

I have booked in for a telephone appointment with the Dr to discuss this but that's not for another 2 weeks so I will have to wait until then for what happens then.
    I am definitely starting to track, I think will be the most helpful tool, until I have blood taken, thats if the Dr advises it.
    Again the GP would have to refer me to a dietician and that could take months or now with covid much longer, I don't have the funds to pay private for a dietician unfortunately so stumped for the time being with just my own detective work and waiting for the GP.

I'm glad to hear you're going to a GP! Don't know if it would help with the tracking bit, but my diary is open if you'd like some ideas for meals. I usually hit around 90-100 grams of protein a day and generally eat wfpb where I can. I do tend to cook my own meals, but just message me and I'd be happy to send you the recipe :)

Until you can see a registered dietician, I'd also recommend checking out the 'Dirty Dozen' app. It's based on Dr. Gregor's book, 'How Not to Die', and is a basic tracking app, but it shows (roughly) how many servings of different food groups are recommended in a vegan (wfpb) diet. I like using it as a guideline for building my daily meals. It also helps me make sure I'm getting my beans n' greens in and not just sitting around eating vegan Cheetos all day ;p
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    hckkgtprr23m.jpg

This photo was taken may to show my hairdresser how bad it was.
    Like I have previously said although I haven't been 100% vegan for a long time until the last 4-5 months again. Over the last few years I have been 90%+ vegan, hardly any dairy, never any meat, fish would be canned tuna and maybe prawns once every say month or two, hardly any eggs, it just wasn't natural to eat these things so when I did eat them it would be because I thought I should not because I wanted to. I just need a blood test and see what's going on inside there.......
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options

I'm glad to hear you're going to a GP! Don't know if it would help with the tracking bit, but my diary is open if you'd like some ideas for meals. I usually hit around 90-100 grams of protein a day and generally eat wfpb where I can. I do tend to cook my own meals, but just message me and I'd be happy to send you the recipe :)

Until you can see a registered dietician, I'd also recommend checking out the 'Dirty Dozen' app. It's based on Dr. Gregor's book, 'How Not to Die', and is a basic tracking app, but it shows (roughly) how many servings of different food groups are recommended in a vegan (wfpb) diet. I like using it as a guideline for building my daily meals. It also helps me make sure I'm getting my beans n' greens in and not just sitting around eating vegan Cheetos all day ;p

Thank you!! 😊
    I also cook my own meals, my son who I 5 helps me and even though he isn't vegan he actually prefers my food because it looks and tastes so go, bless him.
    I installing the app as I am typing this so I will forward to looking at that, thank you!.
    Vegan cheetos, I can't say I see them much in the UK, but I can honestly say if I did have them I know I certainly wouldn't get a look in, a little 5 year old would nab them first and gobble them up haha.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice, so only two small suggestions.
    1) If you’re not using a cast iron pan, you might want to look into the benefits of using one.

2) If you decide to eat a few eggs, try to find someone local who raises chickens free range. TRUE free range, not what the factory farms tell you is free range.
    Chickens lay eggs no matter what. And if they have sunshine and grass to run in? They’re happy. A good chicken keeper will have happy chickens. That should, I hope, help any ethical concerns you have about eggs.
    Bonus? Happy chickens lay the tastiest eggs. Not even kidding.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    Lots of great advice, so only two small suggestions.
    1) If you’re not using a cast iron pan, you might want to look into the benefits of using one.

2) If you decide to eat a few eggs, try to find someone local who raises chickens free range. TRUE free range, not what the factory farms tell you is free range.
    Chickens lay eggs no matter what. And if they have sunshine and grass to run in? They’re happy. A good chicken keeper will have happy chickens. That should, I hope, help any ethical concerns you have about eggs.
    Bonus? Happy chickens lay the tastiest eggs. Not even kidding.

Hi there.
    Thank you for your suggestions I am open to anything!!
    Can I ask why a cast iron pan? If there is a reason I should probably know but I don't I'm afraid.
    Eggs, well I just don't think I can. I don't know if I have to, I have to but I wouldn't by choice.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    A cast iron pan will help boost your iron, I believe.

I just wanted to send you well-wishes in finding the cause so you can correct what's going on. And also to thank you for bringing this up and sharing because my dd is completely vegan so it gives me concern for her. I'll have to see if she takes any vitamins or supplements.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Oh that is interesting, I will invest in one of those.
    Thank you, that is so kind, hopefully if the GP allows me to have a blood test things might seem clearer. I hope your dd is not experiencing any of the issues I have been having but I have to say after a bit of searching this morning I have come across a great little app called Cronometer where you put your food in pretty much like here but it brings up every single nutritional value and I was absolutely shocked how much I have been lacking, however much I thought I was eating healthy, which I have been, it has just highlighted I needed more, a lot more, such a handy, great app, you can even put the supplements you take in in it.

There's conflicting reports over whether or not cooking with cast iron will leech extra iron into your food or even whether it's a healthy thing if it does. On the bright side, if you scroll over the nutrients, like iron, in Cronometer it will show you what foods are high in that nutrient. Using those foods, combined with a women's multivitamin, would probably be the most sure route until you can see a doctor.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Hi there. I just wanted to ask if there were any vegans, current or past who have had issues with things like loss of hair, mood swings, lack of b12, iron etc.
    Back story, I'll keep it short. I was vegan 8 years ago at, what seemed, a time there wasn't much variety of foods only whole foods and maybe a few vegan alternatives at health food places. Over the course of 3 years of being vegan then my hair feel out leaving me with bold patches, I had numerous iron infusions and had to have regular b12 shots. Eventually I couldn't go on so I went back to having eggs and fish in my diet. Fast forward to march-ish this year and I thought I wanted to go back vegan as it just doesn't sit well with me by using and consuming animal products so I thought as there are so many more products now than there were back then and it being so more easier and affordable to have things like protein powders, bars, all kinds of vitamins I decided I would go vegan again. Now approx 4 months on my hair is falling out, major bad mood swings my husband is at his wits end with me, I feel lethargic which going from my past is b12 and iron being effected. Is it me? I just don't want to give up what I truly am passionate about just the thought of being non-vegan again upsets me but realistically it could be an option. I take my supplements daily eat a massive variety of whole foods and foods in general.
    I just wanted a bit of advice, either to see if maybe I am doing something wrong or its just me and it doesn't suit me.

I experienced exactly this same problem back about 7 years ago after being vegan for 2 years. I went to a naturopathic doctor who gave me various supplements, put me on a grain free diet (I also went back to eating eggs and fish), B12 shots, high quality vitamins. I was also in perimenopause, and under an extreme amount of stress, so not 100% sure what was the exact issue or whether it was a perfect storm of everything all at once. My hair was also shedding like crazy and I had massive anxiety issues - I wish I could remember exactly how she described the cause of the issues, I feel like elevated cortisol?- I can't remember exactly. I feel you though on not having your diet align with your health needs - I added back in organic eggs and wild caught fish, basically because eating a grain free diet was too limiting without it.
    Good luck figuring it out. Just wanted to let you know it's not just you, I had similar issues.

You literally sound like me!
    I have also been been very stressed lately and pre-menopausal, I have blamed those things for my hair and other issues but I have to face facts it happened before and can't keep my head in the sand. It is a case of compassion v's health.
    Thank you I appreciate your message and not that I am glad you went through what you did but glad to know its not just me, if that makes sense x

I was thinking back on this and I remember now (menopause memory isn't the best). The issue that showed up in my testing was high androgens - my estrogens were fine. Given the anxiety, hair loss, and high androgens the grain free diet was designed to reduce cortisol, which I believe in high levels affects insulin resistance, and leads to increased androgen production.
    I did have some correspondence at the time with a fairly prominent vegan RD - and honestly it was useless. I explained to her my dietary restrictions and what was happening, and she basically told me that it "shouldn't happen" if I was eating a "proper" vegan diet. I mean the implication that I was living on junk food or something, and if I just did it "right" I would be fine.
    And that's the rub isn't it ? you try to do everything right and when your body doesn't respond how you have been told it should, you get that self recrimination that you are "doing it wrong". (Maybe I am projecting that on you - but that is how I felt about it.)
    And since I know I will get eye rolls about consulting with a ND - I did consult with my doctor several times and she was the one who referred me to the ND, who she often works with and shares information with. The health system here is designed for acute care, and doctors don't have the time and resources delve into complex nutrition and lifestyle plans to optimize health, so she sent me to someone who could.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    Oh that is interesting, I will invest in one of those.
    Thank you, that is so kind, hopefully if the GP allows me to have a blood test things might seem clearer. I hope your dd is not experiencing any of the issues I have been having but I have to say after a bit of searching this morning I have come across a great little app called Cronometer where you put your food in pretty much like here but it brings up every single nutritional value and I was absolutely shocked how much I have been lacking, however much I thought I was eating healthy, which I have been, it has just highlighted I needed more, a lot more, such a handy, great app, you can even put the supplements you take in in it.

There's conflicting reports over whether or not cooking with cast iron will leech extra iron into your food or even whether it's a healthy thing if it does. On the bright side, if you scroll over the nutrients, like iron, in Cronometer it will show you what foods are high in that nutrient. Using those foods, combined with a women's multivitamin, would probably be the most sure route until you can see a doctor.

Oh I think it is a great little app, it has been an education. I have used multivitamins before but I found that the one I used didn't have half the amount of "supplement" as if I was to have brought them separately, I that makes sense, so I have just bought them individually.
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    Hi there. I just wanted to ask if there were any vegans, current or past who have had issues with things like loss of hair, mood swings, lack of b12, iron etc.
    Back story, I'll keep it short. I was vegan 8 years ago at, what seemed, a time there wasn't much variety of foods only whole foods and maybe a few vegan alternatives at health food places. Over the course of 3 years of being vegan then my hair feel out leaving me with bold patches, I had numerous iron infusions and had to have regular b12 shots. Eventually I couldn't go on so I went back to having eggs and fish in my diet. Fast forward to march-ish this year and I thought I wanted to go back vegan as it just doesn't sit well with me by using and consuming animal products so I thought as there are so many more products now than there were back then and it being so more easier and affordable to have things like protein powders, bars, all kinds of vitamins I decided I would go vegan again. Now approx 4 months on my hair is falling out, major bad mood swings my husband is at his wits end with me, I feel lethargic which going from my past is b12 and iron being effected. Is it me? I just don't want to give up what I truly am passionate about just the thought of being non-vegan again upsets me but realistically it could be an option. I take my supplements daily eat a massive variety of whole foods and foods in general.
    I just wanted a bit of advice, either to see if maybe I am doing something wrong or its just me and it doesn't suit me.

I experienced exactly this same problem back about 7 years ago after being vegan for 2 years. I went to a naturopathic doctor who gave me various supplements, put me on a grain free diet (I also went back to eating eggs and fish), B12 shots, high quality vitamins. I was also in perimenopause, and under an extreme amount of stress, so not 100% sure what was the exact issue or whether it was a perfect storm of everything all at once. My hair was also shedding like crazy and I had massive anxiety issues - I wish I could remember exactly how she described the cause of the issues, I feel like elevated cortisol?- I can't remember exactly. I feel you though on not having your diet align with your health needs - I added back in organic eggs and wild caught fish, basically because eating a grain free diet was too limiting without it.
    Good luck figuring it out. Just wanted to let you know it's not just you, I had similar issues.

I have also been been very stressed lately and pre-menopausal, I have blamed those things for my hair and other issues but I have to face facts it happened before and can't keep my head in the sand. It is a case of compassion v's health.
    Thank you I appreciate your message and not that I am glad you went through what you did but glad to know its not just me, if that makes sense x

I was thinking back on this and I remember now (menopause memory isn't the best). The issue that showed up in my testing was high androgens - my estrogens were fine. Given the anxiety, hair loss, and high androgens the grain free diet was designed to reduce cortisol, which I believe in high levels affects insulin resistance, and leads to increased androgen production.
    I did have some correspondence at the time with a fairly prominent vegan RD - and honestly it was useless. I explained to her my dietary restrictions and what was happening, and she basically told me that it "shouldn't happen" if I was eating a "proper" vegan diet. I mean the implication that I was living on junk food or something, and if I just did it "right" I would be fine.
    And that's the rub isn't it ? you try to do everything right and when your body doesn't respond how you have been told it should, you get that self recrimination that you are "doing it wrong". (Maybe I am projecting that on you - but that is how I felt about it.)
    And since I know I will get eye rolls about consulting with a ND - I did consult with my doctor several times and she was the one who referred me to the ND, who she often works with and shares information with. The health system here is designed for acute care, and doctors don't have the time and resources delve into complex nutrition and lifestyle plans to optimize health, so she sent me to someone who could.

Oh I know exactly what you mean, I have had appointments with rd's in the past and it has been awful, I was made to feel like I was doing something wrong especially when I wasn't a "skinny" vegan and it was assumed I just ate all the processed, high fat vegan foods, its just ignorant. I don't know my loss of hair could be related to menopause or stress and not even my diet, stupid body and nutrition. I think I am going to get a wig and take a happy pill and I will be sorted and nothing more to worry about 😄
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Oh I know exactly what you mean, I have had appointments with rd's in the past and it has been awful, I was made to feel like I was doing something wrong especially when I wasn't a "skinny" vegan and it was assumed I just ate all the processed, high fat vegan foods, its just ignorant. I don't know my loss of hair could be related to menopause or stress and not even my diet, stupid body and nutrition. I think I am going to get a wig and take a happy pill and I will be sorted and nothing more to worry about 😄

I'll have to check out Cronometer; is it any diet or just vegan? I know there are many vitamins/minerals I lack in my diet due to not a big enough variety. :( I do take V B12 and V D. I also suffer from hair loss and am terribly embarrassed by it but figured what could I do? For me, it's definitely genetic as well as hormonal, I believe. I was pregnant 4x and had nice luxurious hair every pregnancy but now being post menopausal out it goes with nothing to replace it. Plus I feel it's a seasonal thing, much greater hair loss in spring and fall, if that's possible.

But again, thank you for sharing your story; I bet it's helpful to many! Please keep us updated and hope your primary care is helpful!
  • oooaarrrr79
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I'll have to check out Cronometer; is it any diet or just vegan? I know there are many vitamins/minerals I lack in my diet due to not a big enough variety. :( I do take V B12 and V D. I also suffer from hair loss and am terribly embarrassed by it but figured what could I do? For me, it's definitely genetic as well as hormonal, I believe. I was pregnant 4x and had nice luxurious hair every pregnancy but now being post menopausal out it goes with nothing to replace it. Plus I feel it's a seasonal thing, much greater hair loss in spring and fall, if that's possible.

But again, thank you for sharing your story; I bet it's helpful to many! Please keep us updated and hope your primary care is helpful!

No any diet, any food. I was the same, I was mortified when I got my bold patches but I had realised there where braver people that me who had lost their hair whilst having chemo or other condition that made them lose hair so that made me less vain about it and to just try my best to control it, which is what happened when I had iron infusions but now it's happening all over again its disheartening but I will get there again and if not its not the end of the world.
    Aww thank you, I hope it has helped or ar least made someone think it is "normal" and what I have learnt is there are so many factors, it is a mine field out there with our bodies and nutrition 🤯😱.
    I will do and take care 🙂