Diet Soda

Options
MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
What say you?

I generally don't drink it. But once in a great while, I indulge my desire for sweet fizz over ice or use it to replace simple syrup in a cocktail. I don't much care for any of the dark versions, but do like the taste of Canada Dry Zero Ginger Ale. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I remember there being good reasons to never drink diet soda aside from Aspartame concerns. Should one completely eschew diet soda? Is it part of your diet?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I drink it semi-regularly. I prefer, overall, to eat minimally processed local food etc etc. But I don't completely forego all the other stuff. I think regular soda is overwhelmingly sweet (I do sometimes enjoy cream or strawberry soda, there are a couple small operations here that make it but that's definitely "rare treat" territory). So if I want a caffeinated pick-me-up in the afternoon, diet soda it is. I could live without it, and have for long stretches of time, but I don't think there's anything especially unhealthy or bad about it, that would make it "worse" than regular soda.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have a few Diet Cokes every week. Especially in the summertime, when hot coffee doesn't sound appealing in the morning, I'll have a Diet Coke or two instead. My parents didn't allow us to have sugar growing up, so diet soda was all we were allowed to have, if we were allowed to have soda at all. It was usually a treat at my grandmother's house or sometimes if we went out to eat. So yeah.....I've been drinking diet soda for practically my whole life and other than it aggravating the ulcers I had in high school and college, I've suffered no ill effects at all from any of the sweeteners they've used over the last few decades.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Pepsi Zero or Mountain Dew Zero once or twice a week. It's a nice treat when I'm tired of everything else.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink diet coke (not a lot really...just a can with dinner and a medium cup when I went out for lunch) but then went to water because of hitting a plateau (and also never drinking water...it was when people were saying it dehydrated you). I started drinking it again and now it's all I drink anymore.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I used to guzzle diet soda. Back in the Tab days that disgusting soda was my drink of choice. Yuck! Then I switched to Diet Coke and was drinking about 4-6(maybe even more) cans a day until one day I thought to myself, how ridiculous and expensive a habit it was for me. :( I drink coffee, even during the summer but mostly have a glass of water beside me at all times. It's probably been 6 years or so since I gave it up and even though I've been tempted many times to grab an icy cold one on a hot day, I know it'd be a foot back into an old un-necessary habit.
    Dh still guzzles it every day; as soon as he drains a can or bottle he pops open another one. I haven't seen him drink a simple glass of water in the past 2 years. :/
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I drink diet fizzy drinks, don’t see any issue with it. They help fill me up, they help to hydrate me. I don’t generally drink Diet Coke or other cola style drinks because I’ve recently decided I don’t really like the taste.

I’ve discovered a bunch of other diet fizzy drinks that I really do enjoy so that’s what I drink! 2-3 330ml cans per day in summer, probably just 1 in cooler weather.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No diet pop. Prefer the taste (non-taste?) of water or unsweetened tea.
  • stuntin666
    stuntin666 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I say YES
    I've went without soda for a long time because it makes me gain like crazy, and also because its just not healthy, but it doesn't matter how much water I drink, I'm always thirsty, and I have to some soda either every other day or every two days, because my mouth just gets so yuck feeling and the only thing that feels refreshing is a nice bubbly drink. I've tried carbonated water and all that crap but honestly it just doesn't hit the spot like soda.
    So I say yes to diet soda, and my go to is coke zero..I don't drink any other soda, unless im having the occasional regular coke and sometimes ill do half regular coke and half zero.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, and I agree with those who see no reason not to. I enjoy diet coke, but even more diet ginger ales and various other rarer options. I drink mostly water and coffee and when I remember make iced tea from herbal teas, but there's a place in my life for diet soda.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Not limited to diet soda, but any acidic drink can demineralize tooth enamel and lead to dental damage or disease if consumed too often.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    At our house the problem with diet sodas is the sodium some have.
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Not limited to diet soda, but any acidic drink can demineralize tooth enamel and lead to dental damage or disease if consumed too often.

And clean car batteries of their corrosion.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

Yes this. :( One of the first questions my dentist asked me. Right before I had to shell out over 5K for tooth repair.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I drink equivalent of 2 or 3 cans of diet soda per week.

No issues so will continue on doing so.