Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "I think I remember there being good reasons to never drink diet soda aside from Aspartame concerns."

Seen plenty of dumb arguments such as it's amazingly acidic (it isn't)

I think it is quite acidic. My friend is a printmaker and uses Diet Coke for etching, so there must be some acid in there!!!

However, I still drink it :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    "I think I remember there being good reasons to never drink diet soda aside from Aspartame concerns."

I think it is quite acidic. My friend is a printmaker and uses Diet Coke for etching, so there must be some acid in there!!!

However, I still drink it :)

Agreed. I wasn't kidding about the corrosion on the car battery thing. 😀
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,297 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    At our house the problem with diet sodas is the sodium some have.
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.

Which ones have high sodium content??

This issue has been brought up before and nutrition labels of popular sodas have not been any higher in sodium than most other beverages, including tap water.

Off the top of my head it’s Diet Coke (40 mg) and a diet root beer (115 mg) my husband likes. And, to be fair, we have to be very careful with my husband’s sodium levels, so there isn’t much wiggle room. And he has dementia, so telling him he can only have one a day isn’t effective.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda but less than I used to.🥤
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    At our house the problem with diet sodas is the sodium some have.
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.

Which ones have high sodium content??

This issue has been brought up before and nutrition labels of popular sodas have not been any higher in sodium than most other beverages, including tap water.

Off the top of my head it’s Diet Coke (40 mg) and a diet root beer (115 mg) my husband likes. And, to be fair, we have to be very careful with my husband’s sodium levels, so there isn’t much wiggle room. And he has dementia, so telling him he can only have one a day isn’t effective.

I'm not familiar with root beer, seems it might have higher sodium content.

Diet coke does not.

40mg per can is about 13mg per 100ml - same as pepsi max and I would guess, most other soft drinks

Really not a high sodium item - well less than a slice of bread, for example.

• glassyo
    Options

I'm not familiar with root beer,

I just want to interject how sad I am for you. A good, foamy, creamy root beer is one of the great small pleasures of life.

Root beer floats.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I just want to interject how sad I am for you. A good, foamy, creamy root beer is one of the great small pleasures of life.

Root beer floats.

Orange soda floats. Or a local delicacy known as an FO (Frosted Orange). Made to the old recipe.

I mean, while I’m fantasizing.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Based on the Christmas pud as your profile picture, I assume you are British? Most Brits (my Mum being one of them - yes, I'm a hybrid!) are not familiar with, nor do they like root beer. She says it tastes it tastes too much like a childhood medicine she was made to take.

However, being a Midwest girl, I love a good root beer, and a good root beer float (vanilla ice cream in a cold root beer - sooo good!)

On the original discussion, I have drunk Diet Pepsi for years. Not as much now as I used to, but I still do, and I also make sure I drink at LEAST my 8 glasses of water as well. I have heard all the warnings, and "you know you shouldn't s..." but let me have my pop/soda/fizzy drink and I let you have your meat, I say. If you want some diet soda, have it - in moderation.
  • glassyo
    Options

Root beer floats.

Orange soda floats. Or a local delicacy known as an FO (Frosted Orange). Made to the old recipe.

So like creamsicles....but not!

You should go have a frosted orange (I googled.). In honor of the summer Olympics. There are no calories in history. 😀
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Root beer floats.

During one very hot summer a while back, my husband and I made rum-and-coke floats. They were absolutely delightful. :yum: Also a little dangerous.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Amateurs! There's a brewery in my town that makes a Mexican chocolate stout that's pretty tasty on its own. Poured over some Mexican chocolate ice cream, you have the most sublime summer dessert EVER!

Edited for grammar
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    So like creamsicles....but not!

I just reinvented the creamsicle: vanilla protein shake with Mio-type flavor drops in orange-tangerine. Get it extra cold in the freezer for a few minutes and enjoy. I'm thinking it'll be even better when my ice-crushing blender arrives, so I can make it slushy.
  • SunnySkyze
    SunnySkyze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually drink one diet soda a day, sometimes two. My favorites are diet Dr Pepper and Diet Pepsi. I used to drink two or three in one day, years ago. But now I try to incorporate more water in my daily drinking. 😁
  • glassyo
    edited July 2021
    Options

Root beer floats.

@springlering62 I bought creamsicles at the market tonight so THANKSALOT! :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

Based on the Christmas pud as your profile picture, I assume you are British? Most Brits (my Mum being one of them - yes, I'm a hybrid!) are not familiar with, nor do they like root beer. She says it tastes it tastes too much like a childhood medicine she was made to take.

I am Australian.

Root beer is similar to sarsaparilla?? - we have that as a soft drink here.

Not overly keen on it myself though.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options

Your stomach acid totally nixes the acid in soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Your stomach acid totally nixes the acid in soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Being a former GERD sufferer of the worst kind, I can second that.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Root beer floats.

Cream soda floats (made with those expensive 8 oz. bottles that contain real cane sugar). I only have that once or twice a year. Please don't judge :D