August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think I know which butterfly you are talking about. Is it a Spicebush Swallowtail?

Swallowtails are one of the few butterflies I can recognize! I knew this one looked LIKE a swallowtail, but without the tails. It turns out my “poop flies” are red spotted purple admirals, which are a swallowtail mimic. Swallowtails are poisonous and admirals aren’t, so they mimic their coloration to avoid being eaten. In more northern states where purple black swallowtails aren’t found, the admirals aren’t purple either, but have a big white stripe on them!

I also learned that many butterflies land on poop to suck up undigested proteins from it, which is called “puddling.” Some species of butterflies will do the same to tears, and even blood on dead animals or even open wounds! Vampire butterflies, yuck! If you ever have a butterfly land on you while running, it is probably drinking the minerals in your sweat.
    0zquyyushbvx.jpeg
    Swallowtail…

Not a swallowtail!
    419sxs4k21fe.jpeg

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »

@Avidkeo what is net ball?

It's a bit like basketball but you can't dribble and there is no backboard
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,984 Member
    Options
    @sweetdaisy13 I hope that the family activities are fun ones, at least. One week off shouldn't hurt you. How long is your Ultra? I know I've probably asked before, but I have forgotten.