Lose weight, but gain muscle

Options
Hello all! I’m new here abs trying to track calories. I have a goal to lose weight but I would also like to gain muscle, should I take a protein drink after a short glute workout that uses hip bands? Or after an upper body workout using resistance bands? I’m finding it too difficult to build my workout routine on the app, so it’s not taking into account what I’ve done.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and gaining muscle are opposing processes that pretty much counter each other. And NO you don't need to drink a protein shake after ANY workout since the actual effects are so minimal on the average population. Gaining muscle usually means gaining weight and to do that you eat in a surplus whereas losing weight you eat in a deficit.
    What's more important to you? If it's losing weight, then just do the exercises to KEEP the muscle you already have. Once you get your body fat down to where you want, then you can reassess about what you want to do after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would say that what is more important for building muscle than WHEN you ingest your protein is how MUCH protein you take in during a day. I shoot for around .9 grams per lb of body weighr
  • kimberlysalvador1
    kimberlysalvador1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight and adding that I look young! That made my day lol mid thirties, so that is a huge compliment! I should add that I am postpartum and healing my diastasis recti, so I guess muscle gain is limited for now since my core is healing. The recovery program has some safe glute and upper body workout but it’s definitely limited to bands for resistance. I shall focus on losing the fat for now, but thank you for sharing the info!
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What you're talking about is a sort of body recomposition. Most of the time this means that you want your body weight to stay the same, but you want to lower body fat percentage while building muscle. So basically, replacing weight from fat to weight from muscle. I did a version of this, except I also lost 12lbs, but I went from 30% body fat to 20.5%, and I'm very noticeably more toned and stronger. With your recovery, you won't be able to safely work out hard enough to make any drastic changes, but you can definitely get a good start. For now, if I were you, I would mainly focus on some gentle cardio and the low-impact resistance training you mentioned as well as a slight calorie deficit. Your overall main focus should just be healing though. I hope you heal quickly, and I wish you all the best!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Consider recomp and lifting, when you’re able.

I do not lift particularly heavy, since I started at 57, am injury prone, and not wanting to deal with extensive healing periods at my age, yet lifting has done absolute wonders for me.

I reached the point of being too thin, and decided to add some weight back, but even so, continuing my training, I haven’t gotten bigger. On the contrary, I got into some bangin’ vintage jeans the other day that didn’t fit when I was five pounds lower.

Here’s some interesting threads for you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    And congrats on le’bambino.

We are eagerly awaiting our first grandchild. Hug your parents and in-laws. You had no idea how excited they were, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Losing weight and gaining muscle are opposing processes that pretty much counter each other. And NO you don't need to drink a protein shake after ANY workout since the actual effects are so minimal on the average population. Gaining muscle usually means gaining weight and to do that you eat in a surplus whereas losing weight you eat in a deficit.
    What's more important to you? If it's losing weight, then just do the exercises to KEEP the muscle you already have. Once you get your body fat down to where you want, then you can reassess about what you want to do after.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What are you talking about? There is a pretty large body of evidence that demonstrates that you can gain muscle while losing fat. Its not as optimal as a surplus but to tell a newbie (who looks young too). that you can't is flat our wrong.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1

Op, of course if you have an adequate training program based on progressive overload (like StrongCurves), adequate protein (1.4-2.2g/kg or bw), and time you will gain some muscle in a deficit.

Ideally, that deficit shouldn't be too large and it would be more optimal to follow a structured lifting program (see below).

In terms of nutrition timing, there isn't much evidence to support that you will gain additional muscle by timing your nutrients around your workout. There is potential that you might see a benefit from a performance standpoint or even possibly from a recovery standpoint. I would recommend playing around with that equation to see if you get improved recovery or performance by time in your nutrients around your workout. But recognize it is not a major aspect of gaining muscle.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    I'm NOT stating it's not true. But it's almost obvious that this is a beginner and that a recomp program likely isn't the program for her at this moment.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Small deficit / slow rate of weight loss.
    High protein intake.
    Crucially - train well and train comsistently.

It really isn't at all unusual for under-trained people or people returning to training to gain muscle while losing weight sensibly.

(PS - What advanced lifters or body builders need to do to gain muscle effectively when they are close to their genetic potential is completely different and needs far more nurturing than what "normal" people have to do. For example there is zero need for ordinary people with regular body composition or strength goals to do cut/bulk cycles just as there's no need to gain weight to gain muscle unless you are one of the elite few.)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agree about the nutrient timing, not a big deal in most cases.

Regarding the need to eat in a surplus, to gain muscle. In most cases in the US the person is carrying excess bodyfat, that bodyfat IS their surplus energy source for building muscle. No need to EAT in a surplus for most.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I would say that what is more important for building muscle than WHEN you ingest your protein is how MUCH protein you take in during a day. I shoot for around .9 grams per lb of body weighr

Do you suggest 0.9 grams per pound of current weight or goal weight (which would be the same I suppose if you're maintaining, but for those of us who aren't)?

Before I began strength training I aimed to get about 0.8g/lb of my goal weight (108g for a goal weight of 135) and I could hit that most days. My trainer says that would be fine for me for maintenance, but suggested working up to 1g/lb of current weight as I lose (so for me right now that's 170) and while I've bumped up successfully to 120-130g, 170g (or, say, 150-160g, since I'm increasing gradually and hope to lose more weight too) feels like it would take some serious adjusting to my way of eating and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

For some of you I'm sure 170g of protein daily is nothing. For me that feels crazy! I like cottage cheese, but I don't know if I like it *that* much!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Do you suggest 0.9 grams per pound of current weight or goal weight (which would be the same I suppose if you're maintaining, but for those of us who aren't)?

Before I began strength training I aimed to get about 0.8g/lb of my goal weight (108g for a goal weight of 135) and I could hit that most days. My trainer says that would be fine for me for maintenance, but suggested working up to 1g/lb of current weight as I lose (so for me right now that's 170) and while I've bumped up successfully to 120-130g, 170g (or, say, 150-160g, since I'm increasing gradually and hope to lose more weight too) feels like it would take some serious adjusting to my way of eating and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

For some of you I'm sure 170g of protein daily is nothing. For me that feels crazy! I like cottage cheese, but I don't know if I like it *that* much!

Your trainer is majoring in the minors IMO. If you want could increase your protein a bit as you lose but .8g/lb of goal weight is reasonable. Remember there is an allowed error in the nutrition labels of foods.

Also the scope of most trainer's education/practice doesn't permit them to give specific dietary recommendations past discussing what the bodies such as the USDA, CDC, etc. recommend. The CDC recommends 10% to 35% of most people's calories come from protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

For both you and OP, consider also this research summary/calculator from an evidence-based site (generally regarded as neutral, doesn't sell supplements):

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/
    https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I'm not saying I think that's gospel, but it's an independent source, that shows the basis for its recommendations.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

For both you and OP, consider also this research summary/calculator from an evidence-based site (generally regarded as neutral, doesn't sell supplements):

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/
    https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I'm not saying I think that's gospel, but it's an independent source, that shows the basis for its recommendations.

You know how to get my attention! :D

This is very helpful, thank you! I know there's a wide variety of opinions about this. This particular calculator recommended 116g, which IMO is the same ballpark as the 120-130g I shoot for now. I won't go nuts trying to go higher, then. In my case I'm not trying to gain muscle so much as retain what I already have, though increasing strength will also be a good thing.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Your trainer is majoring in the minors IMO. If you want could increase your protein a bit as you lose but .8g/lb of goal weight is reasonable. Remember there is an allowed error in the nutrition labels of foods.

Also the scope of most trainer's education/practice doesn't permit them to give specific dietary recommendations past discussing what the bodies such as the USDA, CDC, etc. recommend. The CDC recommends 10% to 35% of most people's calories come from protein.

This is also helpful! I think she means well, but there has been a little bit of woo with some of the nutritional advice. I could accept I needed *some* additional protein, because at the beginning of this I found I was short on it almost every day, but how much was still an open question.

Thank you both!