What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2021
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Sushi is over rated. I could give it up for life easily
    I agree. I’ve never had it and have no urge to. I’m not a fan of rice, seaweed and don’t eat seafood. I never understood why people find it so amazing. I’d eat it if I had to but I’d much rather have anything else.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Carbs like bread and pasta are boring, unflavourful food matter, and only useful as holding devices whilst delivering meats, cheeses, and delicious fatty sauces into my mouth..

I also find herbs disappointing as a flavouring agent..
  • ChaoticMoira
    You don't need to use oil in pan/oven cooking anything and it's a waste of calories.

I don't like to waste my calories on oil either - I don't get why people find it so flavourful... But I don't use those spray cans because they contain propellants and silicone which creep me out. I use a Mysto sprayer with Olive or Avocado oil in it. The calories this way are the same as the store bought cans, but without the weird junk in it. I prefer to get my healthy fats from avocados and nuts which are yummier than oil.

• ChaoticMoira
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Also, salt on fruit.
    Nothing worse than biting on a pineapple and there’s salt all over it.

YEEESSSSS!!!!
    I do not understand this at all! I like my fruit sweet, just sweet, and nothing else.
    Also, people need to keep their salt away from my chocolate and caramel! They are ruining perfectly yummy desserts..
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Also, salt on fruit.
    Nothing worse than biting on a pineapple and there’s salt all over it.

YEEESSSSS!!!!
    I do not understand this at all! I like my fruit sweet, just sweet, and nothing else.
    Also, people need to keep their salt away from my chocolate and caramel! They are ruining perfectly yummy desserts..

I'm one of those 'salty' people! I could put flaked sea salt on just about everything....😋
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    Carbs like bread and pasta are boring, unflavourful food matter, and only useful as holding devices whilst delivering meats, cheeses, and delicious fatty sauces into my mouth..

I also find herbs disappointing as a flavouring agent..

Even fresh herbs?

We have a garden with rosemary, sage, bay, mint, and chives. Picked fresh they’re far superior to dried.
  • PopGoesTheCoyote
    PopGoesTheCoyote Posts: 94 Member
    Coconut is one of my favorite foods. Nobody likes it, which makes more available to me.

Squid sushi is good and so is cooked squid.

Liver and onions is pretty good, but I have more favorite foods.

I don't like salted caramel at all.

If pineapple makes its way onto my pizza, I will still eat it.

If strawberries make their way onto my pizza, I will probably still eat it but I have never tried it.

If I lived anywhere near the UK I would try haggis and black pudding if I could get my hands on it.

Somebody else mentioned braised frog legs earlier in this thread. Will confirm it's pretty tasty.

I love people who hate sushi because they leave that much more of it for me. :)

I love blue rare steak. In general, I like raw food, but cook it anyway for safety measures.

I'm allergic to Nutella but made the risk anyway just to try it since everyone was raving about it. I was underwhelmed and I don't feel like I'm missing out on it.
  • ChaoticMoira
    edited August 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I don't get the 'dipping fries into a shake' - yucko

Agreed! It's like they cancel each other out flavourwise. The sweet loses it's sweetness, and the salty fry loses it's hot salty goodness.. Weird.
    Even fresh herbs?

Lol, yup even fresh. I don't hate them, I just think they're overrated. I am more of a spice person, curry powder, cumin, paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powders as well as fresh (I don't consider chives an herb cause it is basically green onion)..

My parents loved to garden and we always had fresh herbs. I just never thought they were that special. I do think they're useful for sauces, where the flavour really gets pulled fully out, and they're needed for stuffing... but on meat and vegetables, meh, I don't get it... I never felt fresh was any better than dried. I hate basil, don't care for oregano either. The only herbs I find notably stand out are dill and thyme, I like them both more than others.

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Since, we are discussing cooking oils... They taste like nothing to me. Absolutely nothing. Is it like the "cilantro tastes like soap" gene? Am I missing a chromosome that would make me appreciate the flavor?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Still think pizza is overrated. 🙅🏼‍♀️
  • ChaoticMoira
    edited August 2021
    Since, we are discussing cooking oils... They taste like nothing to me. Absolutely nothing. Is it like the "cilantro tastes like soap" gene? Am I missing a chromosome that would make me appreciate the flavor?

I am missing that chromosome too!!! People always say olive oil tastes peppery; I don't taste pepper at all. It does have a slight taste to me, sort of earthy/bitter I guess, but baaaarely. The only oil I think has any flavour are the infused ones, but even those are mild. Not worth the extra cost really when I could just add the same flavours to my dish, but stronger.

Do people think cilantro tastes like soap??? :o I had no idea.
    Still think pizza is overrated. 🙅🏼‍♀️

Agreed!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member

i noticed that store bought olive oil has a very weak flavour compared to fresh, bought from the producer. My family buy it straight from the producer and i use that one over salads or cooked food. For cooking i use the store bought one.
  • bubblegumcandy24
    bubblegumcandy24 Posts: 1 Member
    Cinnabon is disgusting the icing texture reminds me of snot!
  • ChaoticMoira
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Not even warm, freshly baked bread with the crust still super crispy? I could eat an entire loaf (and have😳)

Bleh!
    It is an excellent way to transport butter and creamed soup into my mouth though. Yum!

One of my friends is like you. She could eat a whole loaf. I don't get it. I just want fat, creamy things.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    There is a LOT of bad bread out there (either over-proccessed or stale) and I could absoluetly see that making someone not like any bread