What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Bakery muffins always look better than they taste.

Yup. Mostly too big, pretty much always too oily-gooey, and often way too sweet.

Homemade can be really good. Maybe the occasional bakery, but not most.

I'm old. Muffins used to be a type of bread, a quickbread, sometimes sweet/fruity, sometimes savory, sometimes rather breadlike (with the baking-powder-raised texture, rather than yeast-bread texture).

Now they're pretty much always a pseudo-healthier side branch off from cake.

The basic muffin recipe in my copyright-1960 home economics class textbook uses a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon and a half of fat per cup of flour (plus a bit more fat to grease the muffin tins - no nonstick yet, then).

When I look up "basic muffin recipe" online, the first search result, in the write-up, cites a traditional ratio that's a little different (more fat than above, no comment on sugar) but she says she doesn't prefer it. Her "basic muffin recipe", per cup of flour, uses 1/4C of fat, and 1/4C sugar (plus an optional 1Tbsp coarse sugar to sprinkle on top.). So, around 4-5 times as much sugar, and 2.6 times as much fat, as that 1960 basic muffin.

Just a random example, of course.

Is that wrong? Not saying it is But it's for sure different.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Bakery muffins always look better than they taste.

Yup. Mostly too big, pretty much always too oily-gooey, and often way too sweet.

Agreed. Whenever someone brings mini muffins (I don't even bother with the big ones), I am always surprised and disappointed by how sweet they are, and cannot eat more than a bite. My mom used to make occasional muffins when I was a kid, to eat with weekend breakfast, and they were always a treat, so it's too bad, or maybe not, as less temptation for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    I think sriracha sauce is overrated and not good

I might feel differently if there weren't any added sugars to so many of the brands I've found.

I got one recently that advertises itself as "no added sugar". (Has raisins, dates, tangerine and lime juice concentrates, so LOL.) But it's pretty tasty. Yellowbird Organic brand, I got Lime-Garlic-Date. I think I maybe bought it at Whole Foods?

Truth in advertising: I didn't buy it because "no sugar added" or "organic". I'd been looking for a vegetarian sriracha that looked good (many have fish sauce), and I know a funny story about "yellow bird", so it caught my eye on an end-aisle display.

This really belongs better on the underrated foods thread, but I find I often like fruit-sweetened things. When well-formulated, the fruit adds nice extra flavor notes, vs. plain sugar. High on the list of examples is Bionaturae brand all-fruit spreads, the best jam-like products I've ever had, including homemade examples (and I know how to make good jam). They're really thick with fruit, and so delicious. I especially like Sicilian Orange and Wild Berry, but they're all good.

https://www.bionaturae.com/fruit-spreads.html

I have no financial stake in the company, just appreciation for the product.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Hummus is an overrated dip IMO
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    edited August 2020

I used to love it but now the ONLY kind I like is super creamy, very little if any garlic and strait from an authentic source/ heavier on tahini.
    I'd much rather have strait tahini!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Totally agree. I don't really like hummus at all. There was the hummus fad where everyone was dipping everything in it and putting it on everything!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Cocoa powder, especially after over a month on an anti-inflammatory diet, is amazing on frozen grapes and bananas. And in coffee, drinking it black has been really hard!
  • VegjoyP
    Sweet potato and sweet potato pie is way better than pumpkin
    Purple/ Hawaii sweet potato way better than regular and pumpkin
    Cherry pie and other berries better than apple pie
    Having a baked potato instead of chips is far superior and satisfying
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited August 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »

SO agree...I actually do not like apple pie in the least and 'hate' apple-baked anything!
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

SO agree...I actually do not like apple pie in the least and 'hate' apple-baked anything!

Apple pie is hit or miss with me. I also love cherry pie! Not crazy about blueberry pie but like blueberry muffins
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I hate the smell of bagged popcorn in the microwave or movie popcorn. I also dislike the taste and texture of red meat, so I don't eat it. I don't like brussel sprouts no matter how I cook them. I don't like fast food--greasy and not very appealing when you see the real thing instead of the advertisements on TV. Cheese smells like feet, even vegan cheese. I don't like soda at all or southern sweet tea (here in NC it is sickeningly sweet). I don't like the taste and texture of peaches although I do like nectarines.
  • pancakerunner
    On the pie note. Not a fan of lemon meringue.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

I don't like meringue at all...I've tried swiss meringue and French meringue...it just tastes like sugary nothingness. Like cotton candy...no flavor, just a sweet cloud.
  • pancakerunner

I don't like meringue at all...I've tried swiss meringue and French meringue...it just tastes like sugary nothingness. Like cotton candy...no flavor, just a sweet cloud.

I do kind of like the texture of meringue. but don't like BAKED meringue... like meringue cookies or divinity
  • pancakerunner
    I actually like sweet potato casserole
  • VegjoyP

I had a Key Lime pie that was insanely amazing years ago, a friend of mine's mom from South Carolina made.
    Key Lime over Lemon merangue 100x

I like fruitcake ( don't eat it though)
    Cake batter is awesome but cake is empty feeling
    Same with brownie batter although gooey brownies are good.
    Blondie brownies are better than chocolate
    Home made cookies are much better than store bought.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member

Hah! I dislike most fruit pies other than lemon meringue. :)

I'll still eat the hell out of the crust tho.
  • pancakerunner
    edited August 2020
    glassyo wrote: »

On the crust note... I'm not a fan of traditional pie crust but love graham cracker crusts :) every pie should have a graham cracker crust lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

On the crust note... I'm not a fan of traditional pie crust but love graham cracker crusts :) every pie should have a graham cracker crust lol

The best ice cream flavors incorporate graham cracker crust swirls, too!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Am i the only person who doesn't like Pizza?