What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Peanut butter and ranch dressing taste awesome mixed together. I figured this out by mistake in high school, btw.

Ranch dressing isn't even good all on its own, let alone using it to ruin peanut butter.

. . . but if it makes you happy, hey, go for it: You can have allll the ranch dressing, as long as there's some unadulterated crunchy peanut butter left for me.

I totally don't understand why so many people like ranch dressing so much. Every once in a while, I sample some to see if I've changed my mind. Meh, no. 😆

I like ranch dressing, but I don't understand the obsession of putting it on everything. I swear some people would drink it if they could. Like dipping pizza in it? Ugh. Yuck.

I like it for dipping raw veggies (though I like other dips better for that) and for canned asparagus (which I eat cold). That is pretty much it.

I don't like ranch dressing, but I love ranch flavored things like almonds, chips, etc.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited July 2021
    Idk if there’s other parts in the world where this is the norm but in the Caribbean it’s a popular thing to add hot peppers to fruit!!!

Example, mango choy,- it’s chopped mango mixed with really hot bonnet peppers, cilantro, ect 9swozrjob8u6.jpeg
  • vanityy99
    Also, salt on fruit.
    Nothing worse than biting on a pineapple and there’s salt all over it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Also, salt on fruit.

Salt is okay on watermelon....I can't think of any other fruit I'd tolerate salted.

More common, and more annoying to me, is putting sugar on fruit. Why? It doesn't need it.
    JUST TODAY, I grabbed a cup of cut up cantaloupe from our work cafeteria.
    After I ate it, I commented to one of the food prep guys about how sweet it was.
    He said, "Yeah, 'cause we drizzled it with agave syrup..."
    WHY. Just to make sure people get those extra calories?
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Peppers and mangos together wouldn't be unpopular in my circles. It's delicious
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Idk if there’s other parts in the world where this is the norm but in the Caribbean it’s a popular thing to add hot peppers to fruit!!!

Example, mango choy,- it’s chopped mango mixed with really hot bonnet peppers, cilantro, ect 9swozrjob8u6.jpeg

Can't recall, I might have already pointed it out on this thread: A Caribbean-style hot sauce (with the peppers, plus things like allspice and such) is really good on grapefruit.
    Also, salt on fruit.

Salt is okay on watermelon....I can't think of any other fruit I'd tolerate salted.

More common, and more annoying to me, is putting sugar on fruit. Why? It doesn't need it.
    JUST TODAY, I grabbed a cup of cut up cantaloupe from our work cafeteria.
    After I ate it, I commented to one of the food prep guys about how sweet it was.
    He said, "Yeah, 'cause we drizzled it with agave syrup..."
    WHY. Just to make sure people get those extra calories?

Pretty much every commercial fruit thing (and many/most people's homemade) are way over-sweetened, to the point where they just taste like sugar, not like fruit. Talking pies, other fruit desserts, spreads, fruit salads, etc. It's Not Good.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member

One of my favorite snacks is dried mango with chili powder. I love the sweet and spice combo.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Peppers and mangos together wouldn't be unpopular in my circles. It's delicious

I would definitely try it. Sounds intriguing.
  • lemurcat2
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Pretty much every commercial fruit thing (and many/most people's homemade) are way over-sweetened, to the point where they just taste like sugar, not like fruit. Talking pies, other fruit desserts, spreads, fruit salads, etc. It's Not Good.

This is true.

I also hate excess sugar in supposedly savory foods. During the past year I tried a few store bought salads to just have on hand, and the dressings were usually way too sweet. There was a kale one with a lemon vinaigrette that tasted like lemon drops -- it was horrible. If I'd realized I'd have just made my own dressing like I usually do, but as it was I couldn't eat the salad.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    eating out (most places) is full of salt & fat & not good for you-very unpopular

I agree 110%
  • VegjoyP
    Grilled cheese with peanut butter sounds amazing right now
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    "Salt is okay on watermelon....I can't think of any other fruit I'd tolerate salted."

I think that's a southern thing, I grew up eating that especially if the watermelon wasn't quite sweet or juicy enough.

I think one of the most annoying things here at MFP, especially on the newsfeed, are all the restrictions people place on themselves and some are frankly unnecessary.............just my opinion though!

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    I think that most fast food is tasteless and gross.
  • vanityy99
    edited July 2021
    I tried the watermelon with salt today that some of yous mentioned here and enjoyed. maybe I had to let the salt soak in, but the first bite made me cringe but as I chewed on, it’s not too bad.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I tried the watermelon with salt today that some of yous mentioned here and enjoyed. maybe I had to let the salt soak in, but the first bite made me cringe but as I chewed on, it’s not too bad.

for me...I absolutely love salting anything sweet but it has to be the right kind of salt. I like to use a flaked finishing sea salt, smoked sea salt (Maldon crystal), course grey sea salt or a pink Himalayan. Love the 'crunch' and helps to balance the sweetness of things that are super sweet imo...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    If peaches are too green, a little salt improves them, too. But it’s been a long time since I’ve had a greenish peach.
  • VegjoyP
    I prefer breakfast foods at Dinner and dinner type for breakfast
    Example- saute or steamed greens, veggie dishes in a.m.
    Pancakes, oats, cereal at night.

Oh and yup- bacon is gross. Lol
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Watermelon and straight-up salt sounds weird, but I do know people who love watermelon with feta...

Not me, though. Said it before in this thread but sweet+salty anything is not my thing.
  • lemurcat2
    A tomato and watermelon salad with feta is good.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited July 2021
    😀