My weight fluctuated 7 pounds!

Options
I don’t understand why my weight fluctuated 7 pounds up. It’s so frustrating. I’ve lost 10 pounds but with the fluctuations I really only lost 3 pounds. It’s like I’m wasting my time and getting no where.

Replies

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Consider weighing yourself less frequently or never again.
    What really matters is how you feel and making healthy choices.
    If you are making healthy choices and feeling good, then the number on the scale doesn’t matter. Especially if you’re getting frustrated by it.
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    mine has a bout a 5 pound range that is typical for me

ive seen it float in a 7 pound range if ive been eating out more/ change my exercise routine/ get in more activity than normal/ eat higher sodium or a lot more carbs than normal/ etc

bodies are weird, man

LOL

Tell me about it lmao
  • tuniwes
    tuniwes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe pay attention to salt consumption, excessive amounts cause water retention. I ballooned 8 lbs one weekend after steady loss....all down to excessive salt intake. Beware Soy Sauce and many processed tinned and frozen foods and ready meals....They're loaded with it..... I make everything from scratch now
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    tuniwes wrote: »
    Maybe pay attention to salt consumption, excessive amounts cause water retention. I ballooned 8 lbs one weekend after steady loss....all down to excessive salt intake. Beware Soy Sauce and many processed tinned and frozen foods and ready meals....They're loaded with it..... I make everything from scratch now
    I'm Asian and soy sauce is a staple. You CAN have sodium in the diet. It's NOT bad as long as you don't have issues with high blood pressure or hypertension. Also most people don't balance sodium intake with it's counterpart potassium (which helps move water out of cells when in balance).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mahdi22
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    I checked my weight today and my weight fluctuated down. So I’m happy about that. I went from 8 pounds up to 7 pounds down. What a roller Coaster experience. I think I’m going to only weigh myself once a week or twice a month.

This is the way! Try not to get discouraged and you'll be fine. Something to consider, and the answer depends on how your mind works: weighing once per week or month could mean that you hit the scale on the day your water weight might be higher. Some people might feel that all the weeks/months work was for nothing then. But this might not be you.

You could also weigh daily and use a weight trending app like Libra or Happy Scale. it average out all those wildly fluctuating measurements and draws a line through it. And if this line points downwards after a while you're on the right track.

I’m going to download that app. A lot of people have mentioned it and I’ll give it a shot too. Thanks for the advice
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are in danger of making your happiness far too dependent on what you see on your scales, that's not a happy place to be.
    Your weight will continue to fluctuate while you are losing weight and also when you are maintaining at goal weight, you really need to dial down the emotion if you can.

It's not the frequency of weighing that will fix your emotional reaction, you could have a big fluctuation the day of your weekly or fortnightly future weigh ins and then you will have an even bigger reaction unless you change how you think. It really is about thinking (logical brain taking in and assimilating information) rather than high emotion (Joy! Despair!).

You now know that you are someone who has big weight fluctuations, that's part of the data assimilation you need to do when you get a surprising result out of line with calories and expectations.

I agree with everything you have said. For me, the mental and emotional part of this weight loss journey is very difficult especially when I am stressed out. I need to find ways to control my stress better.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I checked my weight today and my weight fluctuated down. So I’m happy about that. I went from 8 pounds up to 7 pounds down. What a roller Coaster experience. I think I’m going to only weigh myself once a week or twice a month.

That's a reasonable thing to do, if you can't otherwise control your emotions about the number.

However . . .

Consider, that by doing so, you're giving up a learning opportunity. If you weigh daily, consistent conditions like first thing in AM after bathroom before eating/drinking, and can calmly note the number on the scale, you'll begin to learn what makes your own personal body fluctuate, by how much, and how long the fluctuation tends to last.

That's quite powerful information to have. For some of us, it even helps to take the emotion out of those numbers, because over time, we see that the random ups and downs of fluctuation are quite meaningless in the big picture.

Also, remember that one day's scale-weight number is just a momentary snapshot of your body's relationship with gravity at that moment, not a gauge of your value as a well-rounded human being. It's just data. It only has the power and meaning we give it, y'know?

This is the way! Try not to get discouraged and you'll be fine. Something to consider, and the answer depends on how your mind works: weighing once per week or month could mean that you hit the scale on the day your water weight might be higher. Some people might feel that all the weeks/months work was for nothing then. But this might not be you.

You could also weigh daily and use a weight trending app like Libra or Happy Scale. it average out all those wildly fluctuating measurements and draws a line through it. And if this line points downwards after a while you're on the right track.

I’m going to download that app. A lot of people have mentioned it and I’ll give it a shot too. Thanks for the advice

That's a good plan. Happy Scale is the standard app for Apple/iOS devices. Libra works on Android. Trendweight requires a free Fitbit account, but you don't need a Fitbit device to use it. There are also others, such as Weightgrapher, etc.

Any one of these can work, but remember: They're just doing statistical things, averages and projections . . . they're not a magical crystal ball. Even a weight trending app can mislead, sometimes.

Best wishes!
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That's a reasonable thing to do, if you can't otherwise control your emotions about the number.

However . . .

Consider, that by doing so, you're giving up a learning opportunity. If you weigh daily, consistent conditions like first thing in AM after bathroom before eating/drinking, and can calmly note the number on the scale, you'll begin to learn what makes your own personal body fluctuate, by how much, and how long the fluctuation tends to last.

That's quite powerful information to have. For some of us, it even helps to take the emotion out of those numbers, because over time, we see that the random ups and downs of fluctuation are quite meaningless in the big picture.

Also, remember that one day's scale-weight number is just a momentary snapshot of your body's relationship with gravity at that moment, not a gauge of your value as a well-rounded human being. It's just data. It only has the power and meaning we give it, y'know?

That's a good plan. Happy Scale is the standard app for Apple/iOS devices. Libra works on Android. Trendweight requires a free Fitbit account, but you don't need a Fitbit device to use it. There are also others, such as Weightgrapher, etc.

Any one of these can work, but remember: They're just doing statistical things, averages and projections . . . they're not a magical crystal ball. Even a weight trending app can mislead, sometimes.

Best wishes!

I never thought about it that way. Changing your perception and using the weight scale as data. That’s interesting. Thanks 😊
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations can be super crazy, and there are so many variables that cause them. The standards being the female hormonal cycle, starting a new workout or intensifying one, or eating much more salt or carbs than usual.
    But there are so many other reasons as well. I just came back from a 2 week vacation, being stuck in a heat wave. Stepped on the scale the next morning and I was up 2kg. That's a lot for me, but I didn't really measure my food intake. One week later and the weight is down again. It was, as I expected just water retention from the heat and the flight.